Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: RIP David Crosby
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 22, 2023 04:28

drewmaster
What a talent. His first solo album is gorgeous and hypnotic.

RIP, David.

Drew

I've always loved "Laughing." He was still in The Byrds when he wrote that one, which I guess is why he considered it fair game for including a re-recorded version of it on the Byrds 1973 reunion album. What I didn't know until today is that it was written in response to a conversation he'd had with George Harrison about the Maharishi. He thought he'd met a man (Harrison) who said he knew a man (Maharishi) who knew what was going on. He was mistaken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-22 04:35 by tatters.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 22, 2023 05:31

tatters
drewmaster

RIP, David.

Drew

I've always loved "Laughing." He was still in The Byrds when he wrote that one, which I guess is why he considered it fair game for including a re-recorded version of it on the Byrds 1973 reunion album. What I didn't know until today is that it was written in response to a conversation he'd had with George Harrison about the Maharishi. He thought he'd met a man (Harrison) who said he knew a man (Maharishi) who knew what was going on. He was mistaken.

[storytime-with-seth-rogen.simpl] ... g-xsmH7yo5

EPISODE SUMMARY
After the worst set of David Crosby’s life, he befriends his hero: George Harrison of The Beatles. This relationship results in the best song David Crosby has ever recorded: “Laughing.”

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 22, 2023 05:36

mosthigh
RollingFreak
24FPS
And it appears Graham Nash had some good things to say.

Love em to death, but Nash and Young (Neil to a lesser extent) trying to talk him up now feels a little too little too late. I guess neither of them said everything was fine. Neil said he'll remember the good times, and Graham just kinda said what had to be said which is "despite everything, he was a genius." What else can they say. But I can already see Nash honoring him when, not for nothing, Nash was the one who came down the hardest on David. Stephen seemed fine, Neil had some valid criticisms but just seemed done with him. Nash ended up despising him, never exactly saying why, and bringing it up every interview. For him to play the good guy now that Crosby is dead... I don't know, doesn't rub me right.

Croz didn't exactly mince words about Nash in recent years, either:

"He gave the impression of looking after me, but apparently that was all just trying to keep the money coming. But there you go. We haven’t talked for a couple of years. And I’m not going to talk to him. I don’t want to talk to him. I’m not happy with him at all. To me, that’s all ancient history, man.” (2021)

...or Neil:

“He’s probably the most self-centred, self-obsessed, selfish person I know. He only thinks about Neil, period. That’s the only person he’ll consider. Ever!” (2021)

Crosby is quite obviously an @#$%&. Thats not giving him a pass, but he also seemed like a temperamental person. Graham in particular seemed mad on a super deep level, so I knew it'd be a 180 when Croz eventually passed, as it should be cause its not the right time to rub it in. But its still interesting to hear when it was so many years of vitriol.

And in fairness, he's right about Neil. I don't necessarily think its that bad of a thing either. Its why Neil can get away with it, cause he's a genius.

As for Croz's documentary, I liked it a lot but my biggest criticism is it just sort of ends. It says everyone hates him but never gives a reason why. It just kinda suddenly gets there. It seemed like it was missing 10 minutes at the end that explained it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 22, 2023 05:40

RollingFreak
mosthigh
RollingFreak
24FPS
And it appears Graham Nash had some good things to say.

Love em to death, but Nash and Young (Neil to a lesser extent) trying to talk him up now feels a little too little too late. I guess neither of them said everything was fine. Neil said he'll remember the good times, and Graham just kinda said what had to be said which is "despite everything, he was a genius." What else can they say. But I can already see Nash honoring him when, not for nothing, Nash was the one who came down the hardest on David. Stephen seemed fine, Neil had some valid criticisms but just seemed done with him. Nash ended up despising him, never exactly saying why, and bringing it up every interview. For him to play the good guy now that Crosby is dead... I don't know, doesn't rub me right.

Croz didn't exactly mince words about Nash in recent years, either:

"He gave the impression of looking after me, but apparently that was all just trying to keep the money coming. But there you go. We haven’t talked for a couple of years. And I’m not going to talk to him. I don’t want to talk to him. I’m not happy with him at all. To me, that’s all ancient history, man.” (2021)

...or Neil:

“He’s probably the most self-centred, self-obsessed, selfish person I know. He only thinks about Neil, period. That’s the only person he’ll consider. Ever!” (2021)

Crosby is quite obviously an @#$%&. Thats not giving him a pass, but he also seemed like a temperamental person. Graham in particular seemed mad on a super deep level, so I knew it'd be a 180 when Croz eventually passed, as it should be cause its not the right time to rub it in. But its still interesting to hear when it was so many years of vitriol.

And in fairness, he's right about Neil. I don't necessarily think its that bad of a thing either. Its why Neil can get away with it, cause he's a genius.

As for Croz's documentary, I liked it a lot but my biggest criticism is it just sort of ends. It says everyone hates him but never gives a reason why. It just kinda suddenly gets there. It seemed like it was missing 10 minutes at the end that explained it.

Neil Young is a genius? At what? Sorry

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 22, 2023 05:59

Graham, Neil, and Stephen all showed some true class with their statements following the death of David.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 22, 2023 13:54

RollingFreak
tatters
drewmaster

RIP, David.

Drew

[storytime-with-seth-rogen.simpl] ... g-xsmH7yo5

EPISODE SUMMARY
After the worst set of David Crosby’s life, he befriends his hero: George Harrison of The Beatles. This relationship results in the best song David Crosby has ever recorded: “Laughing.”

Interesting thing about that first solo album is how much it's stature has grown in the estimation of fans and critics alike in the more than 50 years since its release. I admit that when I first heard it in the late 70s, it sounded unfinished to me, probably because the two lengthy instrumental numbers made it seem as if he couldn't come up with enough lyrics to fill an entire album. He actually addressed this in the liner notes for the CSN box set, saying "When I wrote 'Song with No Words' it seemed complete. It never asked me for words."

A lot of people just didn't get it. Christgau called the album a "disgraceful performance" and gave it a grade of D-. He referenced it again in his review of McCartney's Red Rose Speedway, which he called "Quite possibly the worst album ever made by a rock and roller of the first rank -- unless David Crosby counts."

Time has been kind to Crosby's record, though, and it's now considered something of a masterpiece, as is McCartney's own offering from 1971, Ram, which was also reviled by critics, but is now heralded as being up there with his very best solo work. Some things really do get better with age.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-22 14:00 by tatters.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 23, 2023 17:05

maybe his style is more "complicated" and tends to grow up on us with time ?

I listened to Déjà Vu again, and the two Crosby's songs really grew on me !
I think that he was finally close to someone like Terry Callier, dancing between folk and jazz.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1323
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home