Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fifty years today L.A Forum
Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 16:08

Best show ever (captured live)

Winter tour 73

Yes for me and you ?

Re: Fifty years today L.A Forum
Date: January 18, 2023 16:53

Would have thought that you preferred the Forest National-show from 1973? winking smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 18, 2023 21:17

I rate the 1972 U.S. and 1973 Winter tours higher than the 1973 European tour which is great in itself but somewhat helped by the idolized Brussels recordings to enhance and cement the reputation among the Stones fandom IMHO.

Wish the cancelled five Budokan shows in Jan-Feb ‘73 had happened as planned, which would have added a legendary series of concerts to the Stones-lore for sure.

That being said, the Nicaraguan benefit concert at the L.A. Forum was more like a one-off, for its long, unique setlist with a number of oddities thrown in, i.e. Route 66, No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, Live With Me etc, as well as Midnight Rambler as encore. It’s an atypical Winter Tour 1973 show.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 21:23

On my list of things to do is to digitalize and post the three slide shots I have from this unique and somewhat relaxed show. I did not put together until years later that baseball great Roberto Clemente died in an airplane crash while trying to bring supplies to the earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 21:27

The Nicaraguan Benefit Concert and Hawaii shows have a more laid back vibe than theUS 1972 shows

Date: January 18, 2023 22:30

Taylor1
The Nicaraguan Benefit Concert and Hawaii shows have a more laid back vibe than theUS 1972 shows

That’s true. Reflection of the regional vibes perhaps?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 18, 2023 22:41

RisingStone
Taylor1

That’s true. Reflection of the regional vibes perhaps?

Or without the intensity required for a full scale tour. Just show up and play, then fly to vacation destination and play again.

That said, do any recordings of Midnight Rambler exist and how do we know for sure it was played as an encore?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 18, 2023 22:50

I was among the many hopefuls camping out in the parking lot for the Benefit concert in January '73 There was some serious waiting and stress about if the Stones would be given visa's.

Date: January 18, 2023 23:17

Dan
That said, do any recordings of Midnight Rambler exist and how do we know for sure it was played as an encore?

AFAIK no recordings have surfaced so far, it is by word of mouth.

MKjan, do you have any recollection?

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: January 18, 2023 23:36

RisingStone
Dan

There are multiple contemporaneous press references to the MR encore.

[stoneslib3.homestead.com]

Harold

Date: January 19, 2023 00:04

stoneslib
RisingStone
Dan

There are multiple contemporaneous press references to the MR encore.

[stoneslib3.homestead.com]

Harold

Cool. Thanks!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2023 00:17

In those days, when I lived in my hometown of Indianapolis, the local paper, the Indianapolis Star, would carry a short column on entertainment news. I remember the picture of Jagger performing at the benefit concert. If it was now we'd have all kinds of YouTube videos with audio to match. Maybe this is something they're saving for down the road, like El Mocambo, no video, but an audio only release.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 19, 2023 00:48

MKjan
I was among the many hopefuls camping out in the parking lot for the Benefit concert in January '73 There was some serious waiting and stress about if the Stones would be given visa's.
Tell us all about it!
Did you catch a glimpse of them?

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 19, 2023 01:43

They should do a 50 year reunion show in LA and play the exact same setlist hot smiley

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: January 19, 2023 03:35

My favorite boot!

Bianca Jagger recently spoke about Nicaragua today - she advocates for change.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-19 03:39 by soundboard.

Date: January 19, 2023 04:28

umakmehrd
They should do a 50 year reunion show in LA and play the exact same setlist hot smiley
Why? It’s lacking the majority ofmusicians who played that concert,Watts, Wyman, Taylor, Hopkins, Stewart, Keys and Price

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-19 20:37 by Taylor1.

Date: January 19, 2023 04:28

Whale
MKjan
Tell us all about it!
Did you catch a glimpse of them?

The Stones finally arrived in a RV. They made a loop around the parking lot, and at a couple points the RV came to a stop. It took a few minutes for everyone to realize "it's them." Meanwhile on a walk ramp into the Forum, I saw Bill Graham get into a fight with someone--maybe a scalper because BG hated them.
The scene in the parking lot was otherwise fun and festive.

Date: January 19, 2023 04:30

RisingStone
Dan

Sorry Rising Stone, I'm not aware of any recording sad smiley

Date: January 19, 2023 04:48

MKjan
RisingStone
Dan

What I meant is, do you recall they played Midnight Rambler as the encore if you were there?

Thanks to stoneslib’s post, it’s 100% confirmed.

Date: January 19, 2023 05:23

RisingStone
MKjan
RisingStone
Dan

What I meant is, do you recall they played Midnight Rambler as the encore if you were there?

Thanks to stoneslib’s post, it’s 100% confirmed.

I can't remember the last song. I do remember they played Route 66 because immediately after the show we began our trek to Boston on Route 66, took it all the way to Chicago.

Date: January 19, 2023 05:43

MKjan
I can't remember the last song. I do remember they played Route 66 because immediately after the show we began our trek to Boston on Route 66, took it all the way to Chicago.

Whaaat!? Did you drive all the way from Boston to L.A. and then go back!? WTH…

They say if you remember the Sixties, you weren’t there. Seems that it didn’t die with Altamont…

Date: January 19, 2023 07:11

RisingStone
MKjan

They say if you remember the Sixties, you weren’t there. Seems that it didn’t die with Altamont…

My girlfriend and I drove to LA from Berkeley when we heard rumors of a possible Stones show. We were on our way to Boston but i bought 2 extra tickets and 2 friends flew out from Boston. They were skipping work so we had to make time.

Date: January 19, 2023 07:46

MKjan
RisingStone
MKjan

My girlfriend and I drove to LA from Berkeley when we heard rumors of a possible Stones show. We were on our way to Boston but i bought 2 extra tickets and 2 friends flew out from Boston. They were skipping work so we had to make time.

From Berkeley to L.A. and then to Boston. Still a long way…

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 19, 2023 10:36

24FPS
In those days, when I lived in my hometown of Indianapolis, the local paper, the Indianapolis Star, would carry a short column on entertainment news. I remember the picture of Jagger performing at the benefit concert. If it was now we'd have all kinds of YouTube videos with audio to match. Maybe this is something they're saving for down the road, like El Mocambo, no video, but an audio only release.

i keep reading people requesting this show to be released

is there any evidence at all that it was professionally recorded?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2023 11:58

ProfessorWolf
24FPS

Unfortunately no evidence they recorded it, although it is very likely. They started recording every show from the European tour of 1973 on.

Mathijs

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 18:14

I was there. Midnight Rambler was the encore. It was played the next night on KMET ; I had grabbed it onto tape about 30 seconds in, but lost it long ago.... The point is that the soundboard of the song and probably the whole show are out there someplace... bootlegs don't have MR.

As far as the crowd being more laid back? I didn't think so. Crowd exploded on JJF, mostly because Leon Russel's version from the Harrison Bangladesh concert had come out recently.

Date: January 19, 2023 18:16

Hopefully the Stones have a curator tracking down and preserving this stuff

Date: January 19, 2023 20:26

RisingStone
MKjan
RisingStone
MKjan

From Berkeley to L.A. and then to Boston. Still a long way…

A long trip but with friends sharing the drive and having a good time, it was fine.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 19, 2023 21:33

Taylor1
umakmehrd
Why? It’s lacking the majority ofmusicians who played that concert,Watts, Wyman, Taylor, Hopkins, Stewart, Keys and Price

Lol wowza

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 19, 2023 22:08

Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

Unfortunately no evidence they recorded it, although it is very likely. They started recording every show from the European tour of 1973 on.

Mathijs

thank you

well if it is they also would like it released

maybe throw in the fantastic shows they did in hawaii too

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home