Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tony King book "The Tastemaker" due out Feb 2
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 17, 2023 16:24

The book "The Tastemaker" by Tony King is due out Feb 2, 2023. Tony King is a true insider, touring with The Rolling Stones more than twenty years, and working as a personal assistant to Mick Jagger. His book "The Tastemaker" is heavily referenced in the recent book Charlie's Good Tonight by Paul Sexton.

See the Faber & Faber book introduction:

Faber reveals cover of The Tastemaker, Tony King's memoir

Tony King started his career in the music industry at Decca Records in 1958 before going on to become the youngest promotion man of the time. After setting up Immediate Records with Andrew Loog Oldham, he was approached by Sir George Martin’s independent production company to promote his artists and others in the company, including The Beatles, Cilla Black and Tom Jones.

In 1970, King joined Apple Records as general manager, continuing to work with The Beatles before becoming executive vice-president of Elton John’s label, Rocket – he later headed up disco promotion at RCA, going on to act as the label’s creative director. He left RCA in 1984 to tour with Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones for over twenty years, and eventually became Elton John’s creative director for nine years.

Bjornulf

interview with one-time ALO right hand man, tony king
Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: January 17, 2023 12:15

"He held Mercury’s hand in hospital, retrieved Lennon from a cocaine escapade with David Bowie, and was upbraided by Keith Richards for smoking a joint. Now the Zelig of the music world is looking back"

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: interview with one-time ALO right hand man, tony king
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2023 12:36

On the 'to buy' list. thumbs up

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 17, 2023 12:42

Nice read - thank you!

Date: January 17, 2023 13:46

He has had an amazing career and this book will be well worth reading.

Re: Tony King book "The Tastemaker" due out Feb 2
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 17, 2023 19:09

Looks very promising. Definitely on my toread list.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 17, 2023 19:48

Hello,

As if by magic...

[www.youtube.com]

Quite the life!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 17, 2023 20:01

I remember trying to look up this book whilst reading Charlie's biography, and all I could find was a pre-order for a digital release. I'm happy to see that an actual physical release is also planned, as I'd thought that weird for a book. I know we're inching closer to no hard copies of things, but I didn't think we were quite there yet.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 17, 2023 22:38

rayrad
was upbraided by Keith Richards for smoking a joint

LOL!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 17, 2023 23:23

VoodooLounge13
I remember trying to look up this book whilst reading Charlie's biography, and all I could find was a pre-order for a digital release. I'm happy to see that an actual physical release is also planned, as I'd thought that weird for a book. I know we're inching closer to no hard copies of things, but I didn't think we were quite there yet.

i think where a way off from the end of printed books

at least i REALLY hope so

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 17, 2023 23:32

thanks bv

this could be very exciting

there so few insider accounts of the band past the 1970 let alone beyond the 80's

i'm really looking forward to this

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 18, 2023 00:24

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

That ain't gonna happen. As a publisher of a dozen non-fiction (mainly music) books, I'm happy to report that my sales are around 90% paperbacks vs 10% ebooks - exactly the same as when I started 5 years ago.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this book!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 18, 2023 00:38

Gimmie the book.....
flippin the page... underlining words
dog-earring ... pissed if theres no index

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 18, 2023 00:40

Nice interview .....looking forward for the book.......

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 18, 2023 01:21

Yes, this will be interesting! Thanks for posting Bjornulf.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 02:02

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

If it ever happened (doubt it) it would be like what happened with vinyl, print and bookshops would come back in full trendy retro swing! And yes, thx for posting BV

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:28

In the US I cannot seam to find a hardcover release for this book, only digital.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:00

LSTNT
In the US I cannot seam to find a hardcover release for this book, only digital.
try [www.amazon.com] smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Tony King book "The Tastemaker" due out Feb 2
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 13, 2023 21:20

Tony King guests on this week's Rockonteurs podcast

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 14, 2023 23:34

There's also an audiobook, sadly not narrated by the man himself.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 25, 2023 12:28

Been enjoying the audiobook for a couple of weeks, I've reached the part where he's starting to work for the Stones on the SW tour.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 27, 2023 18:09

Hmm, help me, Tony King, is this the guy working for the Stones who sold tickets for Munich Circus Krone on the black market in 2003 and had been fired because of this?

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: February 27, 2023 18:35

deardoctor
Hmm, help me, Tony King, is this the guy working for the Stones who sold tickets for Munich Circus Krone on the black market in 2003 and had been fired because of this?

No, that was Jim Callaghan (JC)

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 27, 2023 22:14

souldoggie
deardoctor

No, that was Jim Callaghan (JC)

Thanks for the info

Date: March 6, 2023 23:25

Yeah TK wasn't exactly working security !
Just finished his (audio) book and it was quite enjoyable I must say. What a life and career he's had, mixing it with the great and putting his undeniable talent to their service, John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Elton John...To his credit also he never mentions money even though he could easily have been envious of the lifestyle of his employers/friends. I think the only time it comes up is when Elton tells him he could be making more money than working for the Stones (he was on a "small retainer" at the time, between tours).
He was friends with Charlie and Shirley and is the godfather of Seraphina and Charlotte and writes that he got a call from Seraphina's husband Barry on a Friday telling him that Charlie was terminally ill and he was gone the next Tuesday.

--------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home