Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: John Fogerty stuff
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 27, 2023 20:25

Hey Simon! Yes, all good, thanks, and I trust that the same goes for you! Thanks for the helpful info and not least for your review and terrific pics, which tell me that we are also likely to be in for a great night on Monday smiling smiley

Cheers to you, too smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2023 00:40

I love John and Creedence. The problem for me is not only is it the Greatest Hits over and over (like some other group we know), but they're not delivered in a different way onstage. I saw Elvis Costello and Billy Joel in the same way. They played their hits, exactly like the record. At least the Stones don't do that. In fact, we would consider it a welcome novelty if they did play JJF, Satisfaction, or others like the studio recordings.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 28, 2023 11:00

SimonN
Hello,

Here's my shoddy match report from Thursday in Manch...

First time seeing the man who wrote and played on as fine a string of songs that any American band (or perhaps any other) produced. Don’t believe me? Just take a gander at the setlist…

Bad Moon Rising
Up Around the Bend
Green River
Born on the Bayou
Rock and Roll Girls
Who'll Stop the Rain
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Run Through the Jungle
Effigy
Joy of My Life
Lodi
Keep On Chooglin'
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Hey Tonight
Down on the Corner
Travelin' Band
Cotton Fields
The Old Man Down the Road
Fortunate Son

Encore:
Rockin' All Over the World
Proud Mary

The arena’s top-deck was curtained-off and the lower tier was perhaps only 60% full, although the floor seats appeared to have sold better. That said, it only took the opening chords of ‘Bad Moon…’ and everyone was standing and would remain so for a lot of the 90 minutes that followed. No mean feat when you consider the demographic, ahem…

I know that I’ve said this before but it’s always a source of amazement to me that when you go to see an artist who has a distinctive voice and you hear them sing live, I can’t help thinking “Blimey- they sound *exactly* like John Fogerty”! And he does. His guitar playing is a thing of wonder too…numerous changes of Les Paul, Tele and his treasured Rickenbacker that he stuck a Les Paul humbucker in to…as played at Woodstock and then given away a few years later to a young fan when JF was fed-up with the business. His wife Julie made it her mission to buy the guitar back…JF didn’t say how much that ran them though!

This tour is as much a celebration as anything else: JF is proud of the fact that he is now the legal owner of all his songs- a process that took about fifty years to complete and again, he says it’s down to his better half’s tenacity. That and the fact that he says he outlived all the record label bosses, managers, legal eagles and accountants…”Sons of bitches!”, hah-hah!

The tour is also a celebration of his own family, seeing as how he has two of his sons playing guitar on stage with him. They also have their own band (Hearty Har) and they were the support act. To be honest, they weren’t my cup of char but their 30 minute slot was over soon enough. During a stellar ‘Fortunate Son’ I couldn’t help chuckling at the line ‘I ain’t no millionaire’s son’ that both Tyler and Shane Fogerty sang…nonsense aside, it’s hard to convey just how great those songs are.

The other daft thing that occurred during ‘FS’ was a fight between two idiots just behind the first block of seats on the arena floor section. So much for anti-war…actually you might have thought that the arena security and stewards would have had an easy night, what with the average age (although it was good to see more than a few under 30s) but it was a full-time job trying to corral them, hah-hah! The other point to note is that the arena bars now sell 2 pint plastics: you can imagine how that guaranteed a constant stream of punters to and from the kharzis. At £100 a ticket, perhaps not the best plan?

By no stretch was this band subpar, but It made me realise a little more just what am amazing collective CCR were: if you need proof, please seek out the ‘Travelin’ Band’ documentary on Netflix. Standard 'money back if not 100% delighted' guarantee applies...

After the sad news of Tina’s passing, it was inevitable that JF would speak a little about her and the song of his that she covered and owned. Wow…and it was a wonderful way to bring the show to a close. Anyway, not even a 30 minute delay on the M61 coming home could wipe the dopey grin off my face- I was very fortunate indeed to see some greatness indeed. Roll on John!

P1320693 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320608 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320410 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320715 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon, thank you for the review and the pictures. I can't wait for this, been a CCR fan since I bought the album GREEN RIVER way back when ..... 1968/1969 or so !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 28, 2023 18:51

paulywaul
SimonN
Simon, thank you for the review and the pictures. I can't wait for this, been a CCR fan since I bought the album GREEN RIVER way back when ..... 1968/1969 or so !!

Hi Paul,

Hope all is Kool & with you! Man alive, you really are a CCR lifer then, hah-hah!

I know some folk reckon that JF's voice is gone etc...all I know is that he sounded terrific for a 77 year old,as did his geeetahr playing.

Have a blast!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: May 28, 2023 19:44

SimonN
paulywaul
SimonN

Hi Paul,

Hope all is Kool & with you! Man alive, you really are a CCR lifer then, hah-hah!

I know some folk reckon that JF's voice is gone etc...all I know is that he sounded terrific for a 77 year old,as did his geeetahr playing.

Have a blast!

Cheers,

Simon.

A blast I most certainly will have. Looking at that list of songs you posted, how on earth could one not have a blast ?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 30, 2023 00:39

A Mate seen John last week in Dublin said it was a great night.

Date: May 30, 2023 00:50

On the tube heading home after the show. Fogerty is on fantastic form, CCR live on ! Superb ....

Date: May 30, 2023 18:43

Wow - that was truly one helluva rockin’ show he put on in London last night. Grab the chance to go if he comes your way!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 30, 2023 19:11

I'm shocked at Centerfield's absence.

Re: OT John Fogerty announces two UK dates
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 30, 2023 19:52

Doxa
DGA35

Puts on a great show, all hits!

I wonder if his die-hard fans are as critical about that as the Stones ones...

Anyway, that works for me, being a curious, casual fan who has never seen him live. I had and still have the tickets for Helsinki show that was postponed for the unknown future last year (the dude chickened out due to Covid and Putin), but the show is supposed to happen this summer. Let's see.

- Doxa

Some update. The show was cancelled or postponed to unknown future again. For a second time. I gave up, since I don't trust the people organizing the event. I took the money back and bought Patti Smith tickets instead.

But it is a shame, since Fogerty seems to be in a top form, and yeah, a hit heavy set is exactly what the doctor is ordering for me.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-30 19:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 30, 2023 20:15

Fun review Simon!

Date: May 31, 2023 00:52

John Fogerty Returns To London Stage With Undimmed, Inspiring Potency

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

John Fogerty review – a triumphant celebration of Creedence Clearwater classics

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 31, 2023 17:26

Thanks for those reviews, Beast, much appreciated.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 31, 2023 21:50

Beast
John Fogerty Returns To London Stage With Undimmed, Inspiring Potency

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

John Fogerty review – a triumphant celebration of Creedence Clearwater classics

[www.theguardian.com]

Wonderful reviews, both of them. Thanks for posting those Beastess ....

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 1, 2023 03:55

GREAT show in Paris

More Pics on ROCKERPARIS

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 1, 2023 03:56

Date: June 1, 2023 12:26

Great pics - thanks for posting!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 9, 2023 02:39

Just saw John yesterday with two of his son's playing with him in Antwerp ...is was a great show with mostly CCR songs

Date: June 9, 2023 09:42

Mr Fogerty is sure rockin' his ass off these days, lookin' n' soundin' great, n' smilin' like a demon. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuurv CCR !! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 9, 2023 13:46

Amazing how he still can play guitar and sing at this level at 78 yo. This weekend he plays at the Holland International Blues festival half an hour drive from where I live. But me and my wife already had tickets for another festival by the time I found out John played here.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 9, 2023 14:49

SimonN
Hello,

Here's my shoddy match report from Thursday in Manch...

First time seeing the man who wrote and played on as fine a string of songs that any American band (or perhaps any other) produced. Don’t believe me? Just take a gander at the setlist…

Bad Moon Rising
Up Around the Bend
Green River
Born on the Bayou
Rock and Roll Girls
Who'll Stop the Rain
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Run Through the Jungle
Effigy
Joy of My Life
Lodi
Keep On Chooglin'
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Hey Tonight
Down on the Corner
Travelin' Band
Cotton Fields
The Old Man Down the Road
Fortunate Son

Encore:
Rockin' All Over the World
Proud Mary

The arena’s top-deck was curtained-off and the lower tier was perhaps only 60% full, although the floor seats appeared to have sold better. That said, it only took the opening chords of ‘Bad Moon…’ and everyone was standing and would remain so for a lot of the 90 minutes that followed. No mean feat when you consider the demographic, ahem…

I know that I’ve said this before but it’s always a source of amazement to me that when you go to see an artist who has a distinctive voice and you hear them sing live, I can’t help thinking “Blimey- they sound *exactly* like John Fogerty”! And he does. His guitar playing is a thing of wonder too…numerous changes of Les Paul, Tele and his treasured Rickenbacker that he stuck a Les Paul humbucker in to…as played at Woodstock and then given away a few years later to a young fan when JF was fed-up with the business. His wife Julie made it her mission to buy the guitar back…JF didn’t say how much that ran them though!

This tour is as much a celebration as anything else: JF is proud of the fact that he is now the legal owner of all his songs- a process that took about fifty years to complete and again, he says it’s down to his better half’s tenacity. That and the fact that he says he outlived all the record label bosses, managers, legal eagles and accountants…”Sons of bitches!”, hah-hah!

The tour is also a celebration of his own family, seeing as how he has two of his sons playing guitar on stage with him. They also have their own band (Hearty Har) and they were the support act. To be honest, they weren’t my cup of char but their 30 minute slot was over soon enough. During a stellar ‘Fortunate Son’ I couldn’t help chuckling at the line ‘I ain’t no millionaire’s son’ that both Tyler and Shane Fogerty sang…nonsense aside, it’s hard to convey just how great those songs are.

The other daft thing that occurred during ‘FS’ was a fight between two idiots just behind the first block of seats on the arena floor section. So much for anti-war…actually you might have thought that the arena security and stewards would have had an easy night, what with the average age (although it was good to see more than a few under 30s) but it was a full-time job trying to corral them, hah-hah! The other point to note is that the arena bars now sell 2 pint plastics: you can imagine how that guaranteed a constant stream of punters to and from the kharzis. At £100 a ticket, perhaps not the best plan?

By no stretch was this band subpar, but It made me realise a little more just what am amazing collective CCR were: if you need proof, please seek out the ‘Travelin’ Band’ documentary on Netflix. Standard 'money back if not 100% delighted' guarantee applies...

After the sad news of Tina’s passing, it was inevitable that JF would speak a little about her and the song of his that she covered and owned. Wow…and it was a wonderful way to bring the show to a close. Anyway, not even a 30 minute delay on the M61 coming home could wipe the dopey grin off my face- I was very fortunate indeed to see some greatness indeed. Roll on John!

P1320693 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320608 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320410 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320715 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

He's doing Effigy? That's my favorite CCR song & it's too bad that it's been kind of ignored until now. What a great song & appropriate for these times.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 10, 2023 02:25

Yeah he played Effigy again last night at The International Blues Festival in Grolloo, Holland. Great show, what a joy to watch!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 11, 2023 00:04

I did missed one thing on the set list, one of his long songs as I Heard It To The Grapevine, Suzy Q or Ramble Tamble

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: June 11, 2023 22:30

I was there too. Great festival. Bloody hot for us Dutchies. 31 degrees Celsius. John Fogerty was great, but also the Teskey Brothers and Beth Hart!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 12, 2023 07:25

I'm waiting for the die hard Fogerty fans to complain about too many warhorses!smiling smiley

For myself, Stones, AC/DC and Van Halen are the only 3 bands that I want to hear deep cuts. Every other band, please play your greatest hits (like Fogerty). Iron Maiden is playing Vancouver just before the big festival in California. I love Maiden but looking at their current setlist, I don't want to see them.
I'm sure AC/DC's set in California will be 2-3 songs off their last album and the rest greatest hits with a lot of songs off of BIB. An even mix of Bon/Brian eras.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home