Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
OT John Fogerty announces two UK dates
Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 9, 2023 19:20

Thur 25th May 23 Manchester arena
Mon 29th May 23 Londo 02 Arena

02 presale fri and general sale sat 11th March 23

77 years old and still rocking!

see you all in Manchester

Re: OT John Fogerty announces two UK dates
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 9, 2023 19:33

I heard him pre-pandemic, I think 2019 last. FANTASTIC. Voice was still incredible.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 9, 2023 20:34

treaclefingers
I heard him pre-pandemic, I think 2019 last. FANTASTIC. Voice was still incredible.

I'm sure Treacle saw him in Abbotsford, just outside of Vancouver. Seen him twice there, first time was a bit better because he had Kenny Aronoff on drums, who was Mellencamp's drummer back in the 80s.
Puts on a great show, all hits!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 9, 2023 21:12

DGA35

I wonder if his die-hard fans are as critical about that as the Stones ones...

Anyway, that works for me, being a curious, casual fan who has never seen him live. I had and still have the tickets for Helsinki show that was postponed for the unknown future last year (the dude chickened out due to Covid and Putin), but the show is supposed to happen this summer. Let's see.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 21:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 9, 2023 21:12

Not bad ticket prices 65-115 quid lower tier and floor (Manchester)

Date: March 9, 2023 21:27

DGA35
treaclefingers

I'm sure Treacle saw him in Abbotsford, just outside of Vancouver. Seen him twice there, first time was a bit better because he had Kenny Aronoff on drums, who was Mellencamp's drummer back in the 80s.
\

dats da won!

Unless things have drastically changed with him in the last couple of years I highly recommend seeing him. Not too many artists from those days are still delivering it high calibre and as yorkshrestone said, prices pretty reasonable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 21:29 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 9, 2023 21:39

Hello ukcal,

A big thank you for posting these shows: love me some CCR and JF, so am delighted at getting a ticket for Manch...nice one! #chooglin'

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 9, 2023 22:44

DGA35
treaclefingers

He was in Rogers just last year and also 2019, I paid $48 for the ticket last summer, talk about value for money.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 9, 2023 22:53

He's definately still a great music performer.

So glad he's doing a couple of gigs here in UK, and hopefully a few more. smileys with beer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 10, 2023 00:51

Paddy
DGA35
treaclefingers

He was in Rogers just last year and also 2019, I paid $48 for the ticket last summer, talk about value for money.

Yeah, I remember seeing he was coming to Rogers. I thought perhaps it was a bit of an oversaturation of the market. I knew his tickets wouldn't be too expensive. I believe tickets were only available for the lower bowl?

Re: OT: John Fogerty stuff
Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: March 10, 2023 01:38

his voice has been shot for about 13 years now. His show are uninspired. An organ has replaced most of the great guitar parts. I don't need to hear fortunate son being played on the organ.

I will say his shows through the revival album were awesome. He'd play rarities and upwards of 30+ songs. After Revival not so much. I like to remember his for what he was. Between the organ and his voice....it's unbearable.

Date: March 10, 2023 02:56

mjmjr
his voice has been shot for about 13 years now. His show are uninspired. An organ has replaced most of the great guitar parts. I don't need to hear fortunate son being played on the organ.

I will say his shows through the revival album were awesome. He'd play rarities and upwards of 30+ songs. After Revival not so much. I like to remember his for what he was. Between the organ and his voice....it's unbearable.

Can’t say this was my experience, his voice was solid enough and the guitar was front and centre. They only crap bit of each gig are the spiels between songs, it seems to be the same spiel at the same time each night, but lots of artists are like this. I’ve never seen Macca without the Hendrix tale being told.

Date: March 10, 2023 03:09

DGA35
Paddy
DGA35
treaclefingers

Yeah, I remember seeing he was coming to Rogers. I thought perhaps it was a bit of an oversaturation of the market. I knew his tickets wouldn't be too expensive. I believe tickets were only available for the lower bowl?

You are correct, only the lower bowl was open. I’ve only seen this with Fogerty and Neil with POTR. I was surprised he was here again so quickly, and only committed to going 2 days before the show. It was about two thirds full..
(I think the Neil gig was a fundraiser that got too big? I seem to remember buying a ticket for a different venue and ending in Rogers?)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 10, 2023 03:49

I saw him back in 2007 when he released his new album Revival which he played quite a few nice tunes from, along with a couple of other solo tunes, and of course many Creedence classics.
It was a fantastic show start to finish, but I never really had the urge to see him live again...it was one of those scratch off the list type shows. Grateful to have seen him, but I guess once was enough.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 10, 2023 14:29

I’m in for Manchester on the presale - all seated and lower tier only
67 quid including fees

Date: March 11, 2023 18:50

Paddy
mjmjr

Can’t say this was my experience, his voice was solid enough and the guitar was front and centre. They only crap bit of each gig are the spiels between songs, it seems to be the same spiel at the same time each night, but lots of artists are like this. I’ve never seen Macca without the Hendrix tale being told.

Well Paul's voice has unfortunately been getting worse but Fogerty sounded top of his game, really quite amazing and this is the first time I've heard anyone slag his voice. When you say it's been on the decline for the last 13 years, it sounds as though you've been following it, and I'd just like to say that in that case, you're clearly wrong. Maybe though he had an 'off night' when you heard him?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 11, 2023 23:38

yorkshirestone
I’m in for Manchester on the presale - all seated and lower tier only
67 quid including fees

Yup, I also got in on the Live Nation presale, O2 Arena, 29th May. Can't recall exactly what I paid, around £100 I think. Good spot though, block 112, just a few rows up from the floor, so as not to be below stage level.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 12, 2023 17:27

Paddy
mjmjr

I've noticed the difference in his voice. Wouldn't say it sounded shot, assuming he's adapted to a new style so it doesn't become shot as he's gotten older.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 12, 2023 21:50

kovach
Paddy
mjmjr

I've noticed the difference in his voice. Wouldn't say it sounded shot, assuming he's adapted to a new style so it doesn't become shot as he's gotten older.

That's the way I see it. Perhaps it's a bit more restrained, high pitched, and nasally vs. the days of old when he would scream his lungs out without a care in the world.
At 77 years old, not sure that could be expected from him any more...he still has a good voice, but not quite as raucous and raunchy as it once was.

Date: March 13, 2023 06:39

Hairball
kovach
Paddy
mjmjr

That's the way I see it. Perhaps it's a bit more restrained, high pitched, and nasally vs. the days of old when he would scream his lungs out without a care in the world.
At 77 years old, not sure that could be expected from him any more...he still has a good voice, but not quite as raucous and raunchy as it once was.

When I read that Kurt Cobain & Krist Novoselic had a Creedence cover band before Nirvana it made a lot of sense.

Date: March 30, 2023 13:21

DGA35
treaclefingers

I saw John Fogerty on Sept 28, 2012 in Abbotsford on his Wrote a Song for Everyone: John Fogerty Performs Live! The Albums of Creedence Clearwater Revival Tour, as noted here.

Fogerty was alternating on the Canadian dates with performing either Cosmo's Factory or Bayou Country in their entirety, along with the CCR hits and solo material on the tour.

I was fortunate to get the Cosmo's Factory album in its entirety at the concert I attended. Fogerty performed 29 songs, as noted here.

I had two other opportunities to see Fogerty live, but they fell through. I'm thankful this third attempt worked out. I bought the tickets from a childhood female acquaintance that I attended elementary and secondary school with. She was moving away with her spouse and children and couldn't attend. This worked out in my favour and I took a male friend with me to the concert. We were both happy campers from seeing the concert.

Like member Hairball, I didn't have a desire to see Fogerty again either. It was also a scratch off the list concert.

Fogerty will tour a new studio album and perform songs from it, but they won't be heard again after that. It's all the CCR songs and solo material up to the mid 80's Centerfield era.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 1, 2023 17:59

I hope one day John will get the other two members for a reunion tour.

OT: John Fogerty stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 2, 2023 13:54

The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon, May 1

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 2, 2023 17:26

Fun!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 3, 2023 01:01

babyblue

I think the other two who played with CCReviseted or something like that recently retired due to health reasons.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 3, 2023 02:28

kovach
babyblue

I think the other two who played with CCReviseted or something like that recently retired due to health reasons.

Yes, I saw CCRevisited with Stu and Doug. They had Elliott Easton from the Cars on guitar (the licks were perfect) and some guy who sounded like John singing, but ya knew it wasn't the real thing without John.

They opened for "The Beach Boys" with Carl being the only Wilson onstage. Ditto about Brian Wilson.

Date: May 27, 2023 11:01

Hello,

Here's my shoddy match report from Thursday in Manch...

First time seeing the man who wrote and played on as fine a string of songs that any American band (or perhaps any other) produced. Don’t believe me? Just take a gander at the setlist…

Bad Moon Rising
Up Around the Bend
Green River
Born on the Bayou
Rock and Roll Girls
Who'll Stop the Rain
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Run Through the Jungle
Effigy
Joy of My Life
Lodi
Keep On Chooglin'
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Hey Tonight
Down on the Corner
Travelin' Band
Cotton Fields
The Old Man Down the Road
Fortunate Son

Encore:
Rockin' All Over the World
Proud Mary

The arena’s top-deck was curtained-off and the lower tier was perhaps only 60% full, although the floor seats appeared to have sold better. That said, it only took the opening chords of ‘Bad Moon…’ and everyone was standing and would remain so for a lot of the 90 minutes that followed. No mean feat when you consider the demographic, ahem…

I know that I’ve said this before but it’s always a source of amazement to me that when you go to see an artist who has a distinctive voice and you hear them sing live, I can’t help thinking “Blimey- they sound *exactly* like John Fogerty”! And he does. His guitar playing is a thing of wonder too…numerous changes of Les Paul, Tele and his treasured Rickenbacker that he stuck a Les Paul humbucker in to…as played at Woodstock and then given away a few years later to a young fan when JF was fed-up with the business. His wife Julie made it her mission to buy the guitar back…JF didn’t say how much that ran them though!

This tour is as much a celebration as anything else: JF is proud of the fact that he is now the legal owner of all his songs- a process that took about fifty years to complete and again, he says it’s down to his better half’s tenacity. That and the fact that he says he outlived all the record label bosses, managers, legal eagles and accountants…”Sons of bitches!”, hah-hah!

The tour is also a celebration of his own family, seeing as how he has two of his sons playing guitar on stage with him. They also have their own band (Hearty Har) and they were the support act. To be honest, they weren’t my cup of char but their 30 minute slot was over soon enough. During a stellar ‘Fortunate Son’ I couldn’t help chuckling at the line ‘I ain’t no millionaire’s son’ that both Tyler and Shane Fogerty sang…nonsense aside, it’s hard to convey just how great those songs are.

The other daft thing that occurred during ‘FS’ was a fight between two idiots just behind the first block of seats on the arena floor section. So much for anti-war…actually you might have thought that the arena security and stewards would have had an easy night, what with the average age (although it was good to see more than a few under 30s) but it was a full-time job trying to corral them, hah-hah! The other point to note is that the arena bars now sell 2 pint plastics: you can imagine how that guaranteed a constant stream of punters to and from the kharzis. At £100 a ticket, perhaps not the best plan?

By no stretch was this band subpar, but It made me realise a little more just what am amazing collective CCR were: if you need proof, please seek out the ‘Travelin’ Band’ documentary on Netflix. Standard 'money back if not 100% delighted' guarantee applies...

After the sad news of Tina’s passing, it was inevitable that JF would speak a little about her and the song of his that she covered and owned. Wow…and it was a wonderful way to bring the show to a close. Anyway, not even a 30 minute delay on the M61 coming home could wipe the dopey grin off my face- I was very fortunate indeed to see some greatness indeed. Roll on John!

P1320693 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320608 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320410 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

P1320715 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 27, 2023 13:28

Can I find this on youtube?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 27, 2023 17:39

Question for anyone who went to the Manchester show. Around what time did he come on stage? I ask because the only info available for the O2 London show is that doors open at 6 p.m., which seems a bit early.

Date: May 27, 2023 17:47

Hi Sara,

Hope you're doing great? The support were on at 8pm sharp and (mercifully...nah, they weren't awful) off at 8.30pm. JF on at 9pm and finished by 10.35pm or so.

This was a good 20 mins earlier than Dublin, so Gazza tells me. Have a brilliant time, I'm sure that you'll sing your head off!

Cheers,

Simon.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home