Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: John Fogerty stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:16

John Fogerty Regains Control Over Creedence Clearwater Revival Songs After Half-Century Fight: Exclusive

"I'm really kind of still in shock," says the iconic rocker after buying a majority interest in the global publishing rights to his CCR song catalog from Concord.

Little, Brown and Company

By Melinda Newman
1/12/2023

www.billboard.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 23:14 by bv.

Re: OT: John Fogerty Regains Control Over CCR Songs
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:28

Well deserved

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:49

Great story and well deserved! Happy for John.

Would be great if our band got some kind of controll back over their songs.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 12, 2023 23:27

this is great news

much deserved

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 13, 2023 01:30

Great story, congrats John! I remember when Centerfield was released, original copies had the song Zanz Can't Dance. I believe under threat of lawsuit from Saul Zaentz he changed the song to Vanz Can't Dance. Not sure if those original copies are worth anything?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 13, 2023 01:44

DGA35
Great story, congrats John! I remember when Centerfield was released, original copies had the song Zanz Can't Dance. I believe under threat of lawsuit from Saul Zaentz he changed the song to Vanz Can't Dance. Not sure if those original copies are worth anything?

I'd be interested in that too as I think I have a copy!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 13, 2023 02:27

Congrats to him. He's been fighting this battle forever and has done well despite it, but glad to see at almost 80 things are finally settling out the way they always should have been.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 13, 2023 08:50

Very nice to hear. It's a very important catalogue as well. Just compare top 10 most Streamed (Spotify) with our gang:

CCR

1 Have You Ever Seen The Rain 960,508,875
2 Fortunate Son 893,287,215
3 Bad Moon Rising 561,281,360
4 Down On The Corner 301,312,638
5 Proud Mary 218,826,033
6 Up Around The Bend 208,371,872
7 Lookin' Out My Back Door 176,165,758
8 Who'll Stop The Rain 149,258,047
9 Green River 126,589,771
10 Run Through The Jungle 114,109,993

RS

1 Paint It, Black 824,141,789
2 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 556,908,652
3 Start Me Up 468,174,300
4 Gimme Shelter 466,680,252
5 Sympathy For The Devil 461,324,223
6 Beast Of Burden 335,605,794
7 Angie 279,360,584
8 Wild Horses 216,355,955
9 Brown Sugar 203,220,522
10 Miss You 152,676,971

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 13, 2023 10:35

Great news, but man what has he done with his face??

Mathijs

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: January 13, 2023 11:06

DGA35

Mine says "zans". So I'm rich now? grinning smiley

Great album by the way. I absolutely love "The old Man down the Road".

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 13, 2023 12:52

Zaentz sounds like Allen Klein. Why can't the Stones do the same? How are the situations the same or different from Fogerty to the Stones?

plexi

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2023 13:35

timbernardis

Why can't the Stones do the same?

Maybe too expensive & too much effort. Paul McCartney is trying for years to get back the ownership of the Beatles' publishing catalogue, with yet little success - [www.Forbes.com] , [www.Billboard.com] .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 13, 2023 13:42

timbernardis
Zaentz sounds like Allen Klein. Why can't the Stones do the same? How are the situations the same or different from Fogerty to the Stones?

plexi

Simply because it takes two to tango! As far as I am aware there have indeed been talks (still are?). But it's always about money. In case ABKCO asks a ridiculous price (=considerably more than the catalog's worth) it simply does not make sense, no matter if the Stones could afford it or not. Pride alone only goes so far, you know.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2023 14:59

Glad for him!

Seemingly he would had the publishing rights for US market in a few years (the 56 years rule), but with this deal he now got the majority percentage of whole world rights at the same token.

But Concord still owns the masters. How is that part going on in regard to The Stones and ABKCO? The Stones hold the masters but ABKCO has rights for them, or what? Hmm.. I guess no, ABKCO needs to have them in their whole legal and physical possession, since they are able to release any kind of new editions of already published stuff without the permission or involvement by the the Stones, right? But the Stones have the original session tapes I suppose (from where they discovered stuff for EXILE bonus album and CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, etc).

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-13 15:16 by Doxa.

Date: January 13, 2023 15:10

I have one of those copies. They were removing them from the shelves and I already had one in hand.

DGA35

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 13, 2023 15:20

ribbelchips
DGA35

Unfortunately it appears it went gold before they made the change so there are a ton of them out there so not really all that rare or worth that much.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2023 15:23

Irix
timbernardis

Maybe too expensive & too much effort. Paul McCartney is trying for years to get back the ownership of the Beatles' publishing catalogue, with yet little success - [www.Forbes.com] , [www.Billboard.com] .

Billboard says when Michael Jackson bought ATV music he got publishing rights not only for The Beatles catalog but altogether for some 4000 songs, including some from The Rolling Stones. What's that?! What songs?

- Doxa

Date: January 13, 2023 16:50

Doxa

What's that?! What songs?

At least no typo. ATV is now Sony Music Publishing - "the world's No.1 music publisher and home to the world’s best songwriters, with classic catalogues including The Beatles and The Rolling Stones" :

[www.SonyMusicPub.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2023 16:51

Doxa
Irix
timbernardis

Billboard says when Michael Jackson bought ATV music he got publishing rights not only for The Beatles catalog but altogether for some 4000 songs, including some from The Rolling Stones. What's that?! What songs?

- Doxa

I Wanna Be Your Man

Date: January 13, 2023 16:55

treaclefingers

I Wanna Be Your Man

Written by Lennon–McCartney. Music publishing is about composition/lyrics - not sound recordings/performance.

Date: January 13, 2023 17:20

In 2013: "BMG today announced the rights management company will represent the Rolling Stones’ Mick Jagger and Keith Richards’ post-1983 music publishing catalog. ABKCO, however, still owns the 1963-1971 Stones’ catalog and EMI Music Publishing owns the 1971-1983 catalog." - [www.Billboard.com] . And in 2018: "Sony is paying $2.3 billion to take control of EMI Music Publishing, cementing its place as the world’s largest music publishing company" - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2023 20:18

Irix
treaclefingers

I Wanna Be Your Man

Written by Lennon–McCartney. Music publishing is about composition/lyrics - not sound recordings/performance.

Damn you for your accuracy and attention to detail!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 13, 2023 20:22

ribbelchips
DGA35

It is a great album, Centerfield, Rock'n'Roll Girls, Old Man... Introduced him to a whole new generation of audience!

Date: January 14, 2023 02:55

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer John Fogerty gets his music rights back

Legendary singer-songwriter John Fogerty got his music rights after a five-decade long battle. NBC News’ Anne Thompson shares more about his journey to get his songs back.

Jan. 13, 2023

[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 14, 2023 09:37

If I'm not mistaken, in 1974 Fogerty signed over his Creedence publishing to Zaentz as part of a deal so that he could be released from his contract with Fantasy Records.

That was a not a wise move.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 14, 2023 15:58

loog droog
If I'm not mistaken, in 1974 Fogerty signed over his Creedence publishing to Zaentz as part of a deal so that he could be released from his contract with Fantasy Records.

That was a not a wise move.

In hindsight it's easy to say that, but as I see it, Fogerty was trying to correct a mistake he made much earlier - the CCR recording contract with Fantasy that obviously was also binding for him as a solo artist.

When it comes to contracts, as a musician you make the most serious mistakes when you're young, inexperienced and still unknown - you sign almost everything just to "get a deal". You only realize this once you've made it, when your records sell and the career takes off. But when this happens, to get out of ill-advised contracts hurts even more - and sometimes leads directly to your next big mistake - see Fogerty.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 14, 2023 18:56

Mathijs

Mathijs

Maybe a mite too much plastic surgery?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 14, 2023 19:12

Mathijs

Mathijs

You're a strange bird. What about your face?

Date: January 14, 2023 20:59

That photo is the cover shot of Fogerty's 2015 autobiography "Fortunate Son". Perhaps some trickeration was applied.

Watch the NBC interview above to see the untrickerated John Fogerty, January 2023.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 14, 2023 23:10

Sadly, and with no shortage of irony here, Fogarty caused no less pain to his brother and bandmates than Zaentz inflicted on him(for his earlier mistake). While Fogarty lost millions on songwriter royalties, the band lost concert revenue and artist royalties, had they continued. JF did get wealthy non the less from his songwriter share per his legal entitlements.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home