Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

12 January 1963: Charlie's first show with the Rolling Stones
Date: January 12, 2023 02:13

The Wembley Whammer, Mr Wang Dang Doodle, the heartbeat of the Rolling Stones, Mr Charlie Watts!

60 years ago Charlie joined the Rolling Stones on stage by the first time to round out the classic lineup at Ealing Jazz Club on Saturday 12 January 1963

Happy 60th Anniversary to Charlie. Forever in our hearts

Re: 12 January 1963: Charlie's first show with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 12, 2023 03:12

Absolutely x

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 12, 2023 03:23

smileys with beer

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 12, 2023 03:46

Bless Charlie. His first Stones gig at the Ealing Club should be reason alone to preserve it! Does anyone know what is happening to it? I heard it was slated for demolition to expand London transit. It’s a terrific small venue, would be a shame to lose it.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 12, 2023 09:10

SomeTorontoGirl
Bless Charlie. His first Stones gig at the Ealing Club should be reason alone to preserve it! Does anyone know what is happening to it? I heard it was slated for demolition to expand London transit. It’s a terrific small venue, would be a shame to lose it.

I believe it is marked as a historical site in the area with a plaque put up by some local music society, would have to look it up, so I hope it would not be demolished. But that would not carry any weight necessarily. Saw Chris Jagger there during the London shows in 2018. Maybe you were there too, STG. I know you were at the IORR band show on one of those nights.

All of this makes me mourn Charlie all over again.

plexi

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 12, 2023 09:21

The Ealing Jazz Club is now a nightclub called ‘The Red Room’ I have no idea what musical tastes it now caters for.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 12, 2023 10:40

DiegoGlimmerStones

Happy 60th Anniversary to Charlie. Forever in our hearts

Happy 60th Anniversary !

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 12, 2023 10:45

Big Al
The Ealing Jazz Club is now a nightclub called ‘The Red Room’ I have no idea what musical tastes it now caters for.

The new name doesn't sound like it caters for any musical tastes at all, but this assumption is probably too obvious to be true...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 12, 2023 11:10

Went to the Red Room back in 2018 to see Chris Jagger and his band.

Many familiar faces in the crowd!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 12, 2023 11:30

Former Ealing Jazz Club via Google StreetView in July 2021:

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: January 12, 2023 12:32

According to ads The Stones played Richmond's Sandover Hall at this time on Saturdays. They did Ealing Club on Tuesdays, so it's more likely that CW made his debut on January 15.

N

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 12, 2023 12:50

Didn't he sit in with them on occasion before he joined though?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 12, 2023 12:54

Nico Zentgraf has the first show with both CW and BW on January 15, 1963.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Timeisnourside.com says:

January 11 & 12, 1963: The Rolling Stones perform their last concerts with Tony Chapman, at the Ricky Tick
Club in Windsor and Sandover Hall in Richmond, both in Surrey.

January 14, 1963: Bill Wyman is unavailable as the Rolling Stones perform at the Flamingo Jazz Club in
London, with Ricky Fenson and Carlo Little standing in on bass and drums.

January 15, 1963: After getting Charlie Watts to agree to join the group, he performs with the Rolling Stones,
along with Bill Wyman, for the first time, at the Ealing Jazz Club in London.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-12 14:48 by Topi.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 12, 2023 13:08

Topi
Went to the Red Room back in 2018 to see Chris Jagger and his band.

Many familiar faces in the crowd!

I was really early for that show, the place was empty so had a drink in one of the booths. Then some people sat at the opposite booth to eat some Indian take away. One of them said ‘Where’s Charlie’ and my head whipped around - it was Chris Jagger, sitting with some of the band. His voice sounded so like Mick and, of course, they were waiting for a different Charlie… I didn’t bother them, but he asked about that Charlie a few other times… I’ve since recovered from the whiplash that caused. I also saw the Ali Mac band there a bit earlier that month (Ali McKenzie played with Ronnie in The Birds in the early days, was an amazing singer but has since sadly passed). Ali came back to see Chris’s band and we chatted for a bit. And a few weeks later, Ben Waters played there - organized, I think, by the 40 x 5 Tributo Bar, it was a largely Argentinian crowd and was one wild, wild night! The Ealing Club is a wonderful room and a great piece of Stones history, I so hope it survives.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 12, 2023 13:24

Irix
Former Ealing Jazz Club via Google StreetView in July 2021:

If you click on the street view link (do it right now) and then home in on the blue plaque below where it says "Clark Foyster" you can read all about how the birth of British Rhythm and Blues came about on this spot.

A very significant venue.

When the site was being "redeveloped", the painted plaque that was the entrance to the Ealing Club (my brain forgets the real wording) was ripped from the wall and dumped in a skip. Yikes!

But fortunately some real fans spotted it and rescued it and gave it to Bill Wyman. (If it wasn't sold in the sale of his stuff a couple of years back, then he still has it).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home