Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Jeff Beck (1944 - 2023)
Date: May 25, 2023 14:57

albop
I attended to both concerts. You forget Derek Trucks who was absolutely fantastic and the others guitar players were great except the poor Ronnie who was just good the second night.

The two gate crashers were Johnny Depp and Ron Wood. Ronnie made too much of a show. Eric Clapton seemed annoyed by his attitude on several occasions.

Anyway I loved this two shows even if the second night was much better.

I mentioned Derek Trucks earlier in this thread. His version of "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" was outstanding.thumbs up

Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 25, 2023 15:07

My apologies, I didn't see your post earlier in the thread. Derek Trucks is always amazing.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 25, 2023 15:28

albop
I attended to both concerts. You forget Derek Trucks who was absolutely fantastic and the others guitar players were great except the poor Ronnie who was just good the second night.

The two gate crashers were Johnny Depp and Ron Wood. Ronnie made too much of a show. Eric Clapton seemed annoyed by his attitude on several occasions.

Anyway I loved this two shows even if the second night was much better.

I agree that the second night was better overall, but I wouldn’t say “much” better. IMHO the first night was good enough. The duet and dual singing between Rod and Gary on People Get Ready, close together and facing each other on the second night was so touching, undoubtedly one of the biggest highlights of not only on Tuesday but also both two shows. As I posted upthread, though, Going Down was better on the first night.

Date: May 25, 2023 15:32

Ok I agree, both nights were great and the second better and not much better smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 15:38 by albop.

Date: May 25, 2023 15:37

The highlights for me were Derek Trucks "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", John Mac Laughin "Stratus" and People Get Ready. Train Kept a Rollin', without Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, was messy and a little bit disappointing.

Date: May 25, 2023 15:43

albop
Ok I agree, both nights were great and the second better and not much better smiling smiley

Hahaha, thanks for your butter upgrinning smiley

Beware of those “smartphone YouTube footage judges” — I already came across a few of those poor souls who weren’t there and slag off the performances.

Date: May 25, 2023 15:59

Some videos are ok

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 16:05 by albop.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2023 20:02

albop
The highlights for me were Derek Trucks "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", John Mac Laughin "Stratus" and People Get Ready. Train Kept a Rollin', without Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, was messy and a little bit disappointing.

Not to mention Kirk Hammett (wasn't aware of his association with Beck ?) playing the solo in the wrong key throughout !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 25, 2023 20:52

Ah, Ah, you're right! He played a Ron Wood's solo smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 20:59 by albop.

Date: May 25, 2023 21:49

Headphones required:

Beautiful playing by Gary Clark.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 25, 2023 22:15

TheflyingDutchman
Headphones required:

Beautiful playing by Gary Clark.

thanks for that

by the way this guys channel basically has every single song from the second night in great picture and sound quality

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 26, 2023 02:07

Here’s a question for Mathijs or other guitar gurus. At the tribute show, what is the story on the black Les Paul that Ronnie playing? I don’t recall seeing him playing this particular guitar before, but I might wrong. Any details on it?

Also, what is the deal with the cellphone that Johnny Depp has mounted behind the bridge of his telecaster? Is this a trend I’m not aware of? Does it serve a purpose? Thanks for any info.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 26, 2023 11:59

When I was really young one of my first concerts was Mahavishnu John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana.
I was basically a little kid tagging along but I still remember it like it was yesterday.
Have you ever seen a heavyweight fight where they trade blows back and forth and you think someone is going to go down but no one does and the crowd just explodes?It was like that.
90 minutes of full blast trading riffs, just screaming guitars.it was jaw dropping.
This inspired Jeff Beck to go instrumental, it was 1973 and he’d just done Beck. Bogart and Appice.after that he did Blow by Blow and my first tour Wired, the rest is history.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 26, 2023 19:23

Unfortunately I couldn't be there, but from the videos I've seen, it seems to have been two fantastic concerts.
However the concerts are to be experienced and not seen on youtube, it's another world if you're there.
Anyway, I liked a lot of videos... it was nice to see Ronnie in good shape again, I was pleased to see Eric too who hadn't seen him in a while, nice to see Ronnie and Eric hugging at the end and having a good laugh.

it's only rock and roll (but I Like It) !!!!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 26, 2023 21:18

review of the show by FAZ/Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (Germany's leading quality paper): [www.faz.net]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2023 23:43

rocker1

Also, what is the deal with the cellphone that Johnny Depp has mounted behind the bridge of his telecaster? Is this a trend I’m not aware of? Does it serve a purpose? Thanks for any info.

Could be showing him the video of "How ro pose and act like a rock star for idiots"

Date: May 28, 2023 15:42

"Of course Jeff Beck is the killer". - John Mc'Laughlin.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: May 28, 2023 16:15

Full Playlist from the front row on the 2nd Night

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: May 28, 2023 17:06

Nice piece!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 28, 2023 18:38

DiamondDog7
Jeff Beck was a huge John McLaughlin fan! He admired him and was truly inspired by him.
John's playing is a little bit different today than in the 1970s. Less frantic and loud unfortunately. But he's still a god to me! His performance was awesome!

Very easy defintion to identify a rock guitarist from a jazz guitarist: Look how they hold their axes...
Funny: McLaughlin started as a studio hand playing for rock/beat bands and then turned to jazz whereas Jeff started with blues and rock then turning to jazzier things.

Ahm, forgot to mention hair styles as a difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-28 20:43 by JJHMick.

Date: May 28, 2023 18:50

Watching McLaughlin’s performance in person for the first time, backed by the trio of the Jeff Beck band, I thought they could do a “Jeff Beck tribute tour”. I really hope they will.

Date: May 29, 2023 00:43

I hadn't noticed this version really yet. Likely the first. Jeff gets the "worst" out of Mc'Laughlin which is only good.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 29, 2023 12:43

TheflyingDutchman
DiamondDog7
Jeff Beck was a huge John McLaughlin fan! He admired him and was truly inspired by him.
John's playing is a little bit different today than in the 1970s. Less frantic and loud unfortunately. But he's still a god to me! His performance was awesome!

Thank you for the great picture!

I think that Mc'Laughlin at the RAH was the only guitarist present who could add something to Jeff's post -1975 way of playing. And he gave a lot of space to Jeff's last backing band, they really inspired each other . They actually could do a tour playing Jeff's post Blow by Blow repertoire. At the same time I can imagine that most Rolling Stones fans want to remember Jeff Beck like in the days he played with Rod Steward and Ron Wood. That's the reason why BV gave this thread a sticky. In the end this is a Stones fan-page, not a fusion forum.

RIP Jeff Beck †

You’re spot on here, but for me it wasn’t listening to the records and preferring the pre-75 era it was decades of tours and never hearing JB with a vocalist.
From Wired to There and Back to Guitar Shop, great tours with amazing backing bands but you can’t help but want to hear some Rod or Bob Tench stuff.
Luckily in around 05,06 he toured with Beth Hart.
Amazing vocalist and she just killed it on the old Jeff Beck Group 1 songs.
Superstitious was insane, after decades finally hearing that riff-da dant da daaa bomp bomp.and it was exactly how you think it would sound.I was front row at the House of Blues in Vegas. Sorry for rambling, I just can’t believe I’ll never see Jeff Beck again.
That’s a tough pill to swallow as they say.

Date: May 29, 2023 13:36

lem motlow
TheflyingDutchman
DiamondDog7

Thank you for the great picture!

I think that Mc'Laughlin at the RAH was the only guitarist present who could add something to Jeff's post -1975 way of playing. And he gave a lot of space to Jeff's last backing band, they really inspired each other . They actually could do a tour playing Jeff's post Blow by Blow repertoire. At the same time I can imagine that most Rolling Stones fans want to remember Jeff Beck like in the days he played with Rod Steward and Ron Wood. That's the reason why BV gave this thread a sticky. In the end this is a Stones fan-page, not a fusion forum.

RIP Jeff Beck †

You’re spot on here, but for me it wasn’t listening to the records and preferring the pre-75 era it was decades of tours and never hearing JB with a vocalist.
From Wired to There and Back to Guitar Shop, great tours with amazing backing bands but you can’t help but want to hear some Rod or Bob Tench stuff.
Luckily in around 05,06 he toured with Beth Hart.
Amazing vocalist and she just killed it on the old Jeff Beck Group 1 songs.
Superstitious was insane, after decades finally hearing that riff-da dant da daaa bomp bomp.and it was exactly how you think it would sound.I was front row at the House of Blues in Vegas. Sorry for rambling, I just can’t believe I’ll never see Jeff Beck again.
That’s a tough pill to swallow as they say.

No sorry needed, your comment is perfectly ok to me.

There are no more tours on Jeff's website to be announced. I still have to get used to that.

And like Ron Wood said in an emotional speech : "Jeff Beck liked every player".

Date: May 29, 2023 14:16

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-29 14:19 by albop.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 30, 2023 14:36

am i the only one who he's a bit worried for Ronnie?

Date: May 30, 2023 14:57

Why are you worried now?

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 30, 2023 16:05

DandelionPowderman
Why are you worried now?

Because i spent time watching the Royal Albert Hall and the private gig from a few weeks ago (Thanks Matt Lee smiling smiley for those great videos)
Maybe it's my imagination but he seems to have trouble with his respiration and is looking so tired. I mean it was already the case this summer fo the tour but i think it's getting worst fastly and make me think that a 2h stones show could be difficult in one year.
But if its' just me it's all good !

Date: May 30, 2023 16:09

AntoineParis
DandelionPowderman
Why are you worried now?

Because i spent time watching the Royal Albert Hall and the private gig from a few weeks ago (Thanks Matt Lee smiling smiley for those great videos)
Maybe it's my imagination but he seems to have trouble with his respiration and is looking so tired. I mean it was already the case this summer fo the tour but i think it's getting worst fastly and make me think that a 2h stones show could be difficult in one year.
But if its' just me it's all good !

And the 2 hour charity show he did a month or so ago?

Date: May 30, 2023 16:15

As I said before in the thread, Ronnie was for me a disappointment particulary the first night. His level was low compared to that of the other guitarists (except the gate-crasher Johnny Depp). On the other hand, he spent a lot of time clowning around, which didn't always make Eric Clapton laugh. It was a bit pathetic at times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-30 16:23 by albop.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home