Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Jeff Beck (1944 - 2023)
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 15, 2023 04:42

kovach
I think Guitar Shop put Jeff Beck back on the map.

Definitely not. He was established way way before that

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 15, 2023 06:09

You missed the key word "back."

Date: January 15, 2023 14:14

Jeff Beck has been off the map due to a car crash and a cymbal crash. Apart from that he has played with all possible great bands i.e artists, not the least with Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, and the Stones as a band. Never with Mick Taylor. They used the same Strat it seems. Fender Strat, formerly owned by Jeff Beck and Mick Taylor and sold ca 2016 according to a member of the Mick Taylor fanclub:
[www.facebook.com]

Unfortunately meningitis got Jeff off the map for good. No more tours or new records. RiP.

Buddy Guy - Cognac (Official Audio) ft. Jeff Beck and Keith Richards:

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 15, 2023 18:37

Rocky Dijon

That’s still not true . The album didn’t even chart in the UK. And only 59 in the States

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 15, 2023 19:12

I really like his beautiful playing on this song.Would have brought a smile to Pavarotti’s face.video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 15, 2023 19:59

I only met Beck once, when I was working at an aftershow in Ronnie Wood’s backgarden - it was after the last London Voodoo Lounge gig.

I was helping to run the bar and had the pleasure of serving several well-known guests. Beck was polite and had excellent manners (in contrast to assorted Stones offspring who were rude and ghastly)

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 15, 2023 21:02

More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon

That’s still not true . The album didn’t even chart in the UK. And only 59 in the States

I agree. Not his best work. Never put him back on the map. Never left. Cool cover though. That’s about it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 21:31 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 16, 2023 06:21

Yesterday I listened to The Yardbirds’ I’m Not Talking. What an energetic, frantic sound, almost like a garage band. Jeff Beck’s playing was brilliant and raw. IMHO, one of their best.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 16, 2023 19:52

Cooltoplady
More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon

I agree. Not his best work. Never put him back on the map. Never left. Cool cover though. That’s about it

It got him back out on tour again, that's more what I was referring to.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 16, 2023 20:24

More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon

FYR Guitar Shop went to no. 9 of the pop charts in Japan. Enough proof of Beck’s popularity in the country.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 16, 2023 20:41

DaveG
Yesterday I listened to The Yardbirds’ I’m Not Talking. What an energetic, frantic sound, almost like a garage band. Jeff Beck’s playing was brilliant and raw. IMHO, one of their best.

Yep! If you haven’t already, give the Yardbirds’ Roger the Engineer a listen. It’s a non-stop racket: fantastic guitar-work throughout!

I’ve always loved The Yardbirds. Just think: Clapton, Beck and Page. The Holy Trinity of British guitarists. It’s quite something that all three were members at one time or another.

Date: January 16, 2023 20:51

“I haven't read through all the pages yet but my nephew works on the ward he was on and I was told both Page and Clapton had been to see him ( this was last Thursday 5th ) so it was clear something was going on sadly .....”

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 16, 2023 21:43

RisingStone
More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon

FYR Guitar Shop went to no. 9 of the pop charts in Japan. Enough proof of Beck’s popularity in the country.

Oh wow number 9 in Japan! Wow!

Date: January 16, 2023 21:57

Cooltoplady
RisingStone
More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon

Oh wow number 9 in Japan! Wow!

Yep. Bigger in Japancool smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 17, 2023 13:21

One of the great Ifs was if Beck had joined the Stones in1975.He probably would not have lasted through half of the Tour of Americas , but at that time the Taylor replacement was only announced as a guest on that tour. So all he was really committed to was the tour. It would have been interesting to hear him play live with them. As it is Wood did a great job on that tour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-17 13:25 by Taylor1.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2023 20:57

Taylor1
One of the great Ifs was if Beck had joined the Stones in1975.He probably would not have lasted through half of the Tour of Americas , but at that time the Taylor replacement was only announced as a guest on that tour. So all he was really committed to was the tour. It would have been interesting to hear him play live with them. As it is Wood did a great job on that tour

I think they were wary of Beck. His bands tended to split up pretty quick. A phenomenal talent, but the Stones were never about technical proficiency. I'd like to think there's some Black and Blue sessions he's on that we'll get to hear someday.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 17, 2023 22:52

When Rod Stewart toured for his Camouflage album back in 84, Jeff played with him but only for a short period of time. Tour started in Vancouver and then down the US west coast. I believe Jeff quit when they were in the San Fran area.
Great comment by Jeff at the time: We have a love/hate relationship. He loves me and I hate him!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 19, 2023 01:37

DGA35
When Rod Stewart toured for his Camouflage album back in 84, Jeff played with him but only for a short period of time. Tour started in Vancouver and then down the US west coast. I believe Jeff quit when they were in the San Fran area.
Great comment by Jeff at the time: We have a love/hate relationship. He loves me and I hate him!

I had tickets for that tour. They were offering refunds, I went anyway, was the best Rod Stewart show I've seen.

Supposedly Beck was supposed to open, and come out for a short set in the middle of Rods show.

I remember this quote by somebody: "This is doomed — he won’t last two shows.’ But they were all wrong. He lasted three."

Date: January 19, 2023 06:48

Japanese promoter Udo Artists, Inc. uploaded the memorial page on their website. You can see some photos of Beck on stage in Japan as well as the concert flyers and posters through the years except 1973 and 2015 that were not promoted by Udo.

[udo.jp]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 19, 2023 11:11

I listened to a tape of Jeff's last show yesterday. He was still on top of his game in November. Johnny Depp didn't really play on that many songs & the songs he did play on weren't terrible.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 19, 2023 22:04

crholmstrom
I listened to a tape of Jeff's last show yesterday. He was still on top of his game in November. Johnny Depp didn't really play on that many songs & the songs he did play on weren't terrible.

I was front row at the Boston show Oct. 6. No question Jeff was still at the top of his game. Such a shock, to say the least. As to Johnny - it added some star appeal to the show, for sure. Crowd went nuts when he came out midway. Anyway, to me - Jeff was the best guitar player ever. Saw him many times over the years. SO sad.

Date: January 20, 2023 22:00

No master craftsman anymore...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 21, 2023 16:35

I still hope we can get to hear some of Jeff's work with the Stones in 1975...Other than "I Love Ladies" (and possibly "Come On Sugar") it's hard to know for sure if he's on any of the material that surfaced. Even what was long thought to be "Freeway Jam" is probably an early version of "Built that Way" that surfaced on FFSO in 2021.

Maybe if the Stones release a B&B Deluxe, but that's not in the cards apparently.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 21, 2023 16:44

TheflyingDutchman
Jeff Beck has been off the map due to a car crash and a cymbal crash. Apart from that he has played with all possible great bands i.e artists, not the least with Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, and the Stones as a band. Never with Mick Taylor. They used the same Strat it seems. Fender Strat, formerly owned by Jeff Beck and Mick Taylor and sold ca 2016 according to a member of the Mick Taylor fanclub:
[www.facebook.com]

Unfortunately meningitis got Jeff off the map for good. No more tours or new records. RiP.

Buddy Guy - Cognac (Official Audio) ft. Jeff Beck and Keith Richards:

Weird, am listening to this album as I came across your post.. Loved when he worked with Tal as well

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 21, 2023 17:04

This is stunning …

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2023 17:12

SomeTorontoGirl
This is stunning …

Toronto girl, check this one out. Stunning!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 21, 2023 18:13

David Bowie with Jeff Beck - The Jean Genie - Hammersmith Odeon - London - 3rd July 1973

David Bowie, Mick Ronson and Jeff Beck RIP

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 22, 2023 00:38

crholmstrom
Toronto girl, check this one out. Stunning!

[www.youtube.com]

Incredible! His guitar is like another voice, marries so well with these singers. Thanks for sharing.

This popped right after watching - on a good day, YouTube can be the gift that keeps on giving!

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 22, 2023 01:17

Just listened to the Buddy Guy tune, thanks, FlyingDutchman! Made my day.

Will likely hear the other links later on. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 23, 2023 20:24

Trivia: guitarist John ‘Charlie’ Whitney of Family/Streetwalkers shares the identical birthday with Jeff Beck, 24 June, 1944. One of the lesser recognized and underrated axemen from the ‘60s/‘70s U.K. music scene, he was a dab hand of the doubleneck guitar way before Jimmy Page made it iconic with Stairway To Heaven.
Streetwalkers recruited Bobby Tench, the ex-member of the Jeff Beck Group #2, for the sub-vocal and sub-guitar roles.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home