Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Jeff Beck (1944 - 2023)
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 12, 2023 19:09

A great electric guitarist - RIP Jeff Beck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-12 19:09 by windmelody.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 12, 2023 19:14

windmelody
A great electric guitarist - RIP Jeff Beck.

Just like Keith, Jeff was a great acoustic blues picker too.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 12, 2023 19:18

[www.youtube.com]

Great version, and great use of music

RIP Jeff

Date: January 12, 2023 20:01

Ron Wood recommends in twitter this (fantastic) song.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 12, 2023 20:24

This one really hits hard, so unexpected, and not only the fans, all his peers seem stunned, Gilmour's hommage is particularly striking : "I am devastated to hear the news of the death of my friend and hero Jeff Beck, whose music has thrilled and inspired me and countless others for so many years. "

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 12, 2023 20:26

Another Legend lost.
A tremendous outpouring of tributes on social media..much respect.

RIP

Two fantastic Jeff Beck performances with Mick.

Date: January 12, 2023 20:37

emotionalbarbecue
Ron Wood recommends in twitter this (fantastic) song.

Footage survives of this being recorded:

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 12, 2023 21:23

arte.tv shows 'Jeck Beck: live in Tokyo' online => [www.arte.tv]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 12, 2023 21:31

Sad sad news.......

We are left with a lot of unique, spectacular music!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 12, 2023 21:57

Really sad, rip Jeff Beck

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:06

Taylor1
RIP to one of the greatest guitarists ever.But his work on Jagger solo albums was strangely unmoving and underwhelming

No need for the criticism. The man has passed. RIP Jeff Beck

Date: January 12, 2023 23:49

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 13, 2023 01:47

Really the best ever in my opinion. He would say Hendrix of course. :-)

Never lost a step, continued to get better right to the very end.

What a tragic loss, seemed to be in otherwise good health. I guess if it's your day, it's your day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-13 15:23 by kovach.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 13, 2023 03:22

The solos on “She’s the Boss.” So amazing. “Hard Woman” - it lasts just a few bars. But it immediately dazzles you. The licks he had in his back pocket as “Lonely at the Top” fades out. Probably one take. A smoke show.

And then, later, “Throwaway”: his part on that song is so singular that it should’ve merited a co-write. It’s a song within a song.

We won’t hear another like him, ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-13 03:26 by MelBelli.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 13, 2023 03:24

How could I forget the flamenco-like acoustic guitar on “Just Another Night” (and “Say You Will”?)?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 13, 2023 03:35

Um, this took a little time to sink in.

I saw the title: Re: Jeff Beck (1944 - 2023) and thought it was his greatest hits.

I always thought that Nigel Tufnel in Spinal Tap looked just like Jeff.

Thoughts are with Jeff's family.

Date: January 13, 2023 05:22

MelBelli
The solos on “She’s the Boss.” So amazing. “Hard Woman” - it lasts just a few bars. But it immediately dazzles you. The licks he had in his back pocket as “Lonely at the Top” fades out. Probably one take. A smoke show.

And then, later, “Throwaway”: his part on that song is so singular that it should’ve merited a co-write. It’s a song within a song.

We won’t hear another like him, ever.

Absolutely. They might not be quite the greatest songs Mick Jagger ever wrote, but let's not diminish Jeff's guitar work (or indeed, Mick's fine vocals).

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 13, 2023 05:38

Saw him live twice, the last time at one of Eric Clapton's Guitarfest, doing "Day in the Life."
Fantastic. I had hoped to see him once more. Not to be. RIP, Jeff Beck.

MrDDDD, thanks for the two songs with Jeff and Mick.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 13, 2023 06:39

so sad

he was so gifted and as many have pointed out his skills (like mick's) didn't diminish with age

it's something to note that even in his 70's his skills towered above professional guitarist a third his age

there likely will never be another like him

and it was so unexpected

after this i'm even more apprehensive about mick, keith, and ronnie given there ages

i'm not unaware that there old but things like this really bring home home the reality that they could be taken away from us at any time

value them while there here

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 13, 2023 07:48

Jeff Beck has always been very popular in Japan. Since his first visit in 1973 under the moniker, Beck, Bogert & Appice, he toured Japan 15 times and played more than 100 shows, which is the third in number below the U.S.A. and the U.K. His last visit was Jan-Feb 2017, promoting the Loud Hailer album. The footage on Twitter linked below captures the final moments of his last ever show in Japan, Amashin Archaic Hall, Amagasaki (Osaka-adjacent city), 7 February.

[mobile.twitter.com]

A planned Japan tour in 2020 was scrapped due to Covid. Although not publicly announced, he was to tour Japan this year (some source says May). Alas it wasn’t to be.

Some 10-15 years ago, Mojo magazine published a report by rock photographer Ross Halfin who accompanied Beck’s Japan tour. He told Halfin, “I like the Japanese audience because they listen.”

R.I.P. Jeff Beck

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 13, 2023 08:26

ProfessorWolf
so sad

he was so gifted and as many have pointed out his skills (like mick's) didn't diminish with age

it's something to note that even in his 70's his skills towered above professional guitarist a third his age

there likely will never be another like him

and it was so unexpected

after this i'm even more apprehensive about mick, keith, and ronnie given there ages

i'm not unaware that there old but things like this really bring home home the reality that they could be taken away from us at any time

value them while there here

The nature and cruelty of Beck’s death is what has grabbed me: bacterial meningitis. If caught early, it’s treatable. One has to wonder whether he chose to ignore the symptoms, or the onset was too late. We’ll never know. It was all very sudden. The condition is quite prevalent in infants, apparently.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 13, 2023 09:26

all shook up...

Japanese promoter remembers on the 2017 Japan tour.

"We went to karaoke with Jeff and the rest of the band for the successful tour party.
As far as I know, this is the only time Jeff has ever gone to karaoke.
The band members wanted to go, and Jeff didn't want to go at first, but he came with us.
He shyly sang one English country song."

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2023 10:15

Keith Richards: "I am very sad to hear about Jeff’s passing. He was a brilliant guitar player!!! On the occasions we got to play together, we had a ball. 'Let’s do this more often', we said! Jeff was a great guy and will be missed by all. My heartfelt condolences to his family."

[Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com]

Date: January 13, 2023 11:10

John McLauglin on twitter:

"You are the Greates!!! I love you forever". RIP

[twitter.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 13, 2023 14:15

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2023 18:35

I saw Beck a lot in a wild variety of venues/situations. One that stands out was when he had Jennifer Batten in the band. They played the state fair in Puyallup, WA. I got to the fair early that day & was outside the rodeo arena where they were playing during soundcheck. Security wasn't like a normal gig & me & a few other guys snuck in. Jeff saw us & gave us a "tsk, tsk" but he was smiling & didn't have us chased out. Saw him from the front row at least 3 times, too. Truly an amazing player. The last tour he did with Depp didn't make it to my part of the world & I was pretty disappointed by that. Last time I saw him was with ZZ Top. It was fantastic especially when Jeff came out & jammed with ZZ.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 14, 2023 01:43

I also saw him with Jennifer Batten, it was at the Warfield in San Francisco in 2001 and it was a bit of a low point in his career. I was delighted to finally get to see him but as some people posted in forums (was it a Jeff Beck forum ?) he'd become a bit of a cult act by that time, struggling to fill theaters. I seem to remember reading an interview by Jennifer Batten saying her goal was to put Jeff back on the map...Didn't really work out.

It did finally happen when Clapton put him back in the public eye in the mid 2000s, was it by inviting him to play at the Albert Hall with him ? I can't really find anything about this on Google for now.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 14, 2023 23:16

gotdablouse
I also saw him with Jennifer Batten, it was at the Warfield in San Francisco in 2001 and it was a bit of a low point in his career. I was delighted to finally get to see him but as some people posted in forums (was it a Jeff Beck forum ?) he'd become a bit of a cult act by that time, struggling to fill theaters. I seem to remember reading an interview by Jennifer Batten saying her goal was to put Jeff back on the map...Didn't really work out.

It did finally happen when Clapton put him back in the public eye in the mid 2000s, was it by inviting him to play at the Albert Hall with him ? I can't really find anything about this on Google for now.

I have seen Jeff Beck with Jennifer Batten in July 1998, Paradiso Amsterdam.
The venue could have been sold out 30 days a month; a long row waiting to get in, people asking for tickets to see Jeff. I remember that Jennifer played technically great, but not as matured as a guitar player. Her sound was thin compared to Jeff, who's guitar sound was very fat, genuine, distinct signature Jeff, and no need for heavy distortion with EMG pickups. I got the impression that -apart from the fact Jennifer played with Michael Jackson- her goal wasn't to put Jeff Beck on the map, at least not that evening.. It was Jeff who did the lead and Jennifer did a great job on an extensive world tour, backing him up but definitely playing the second fiddle and Jeff promoting Jennifer on that particular evening in Amsterdam. Jennifer was replaceable. Jeff definitely not. It was a great concert of course: unforgettable.
You can still download that concert, there's a link floating on the internet: File size: 474.3 MB MD5 Downloading: JeBe.1998-07-07.AmsterdFLAC.by.TUBE.zip

[rapidgator.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 01:45 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2023 01:16

TheflyingDutchman
gotdablouse

I don't think that Jeff Beck needed Clapton to put him on the map again, certainly not from a musical point of view.

I have seen Jeff Beck with Jennifer Batten in July 1998, Paradiso Amsterdam.
The venue could have been sold out 30 days a month; a long row waiting to get in, people asking for tickets to see Jeff. I remember that Jennifer played technically great, but not as matured as a guitar player. Her sound was thin compared to Jeff, who's guitar sound was very fat, genuine, distinct signature Jeff, and no need for heavy distortion with EMG pickups. I got the impression that -apart from the fact Jennifer played with Michael Jackson- her goal wasn't to put Jeff Beck on the map, at least not that evening.. It was Jeff who did the lead and Jennifer did a great job on an extensive world tour, backing him up but definitely playing the second fiddle and Jeff promoting Jennifer on that particular evening in Amsterdam. Jennifer was replaceable. Jeff definitely not. It was a great concert of course: unforgettable.

You can still download that concert, there's a link floating on the internet: File size: 474.3 MB MD5 Downloading: JeBe.1998-07-07.AmsterdFLAC.by.TUBE.zip

[rapidgator.net]

Thanks for the head's up! smileys with beer

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 15, 2023 04:38

I think Guitar Shop put Jeff Beck back on the map.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home