Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"Start Me Up" in Applebee’s USA commercials
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 04:13

Who determines how Stones songs are used in commercials?

Just noticed that the Applebee’s restaurant chain is using Start Me Up in their television commercials. Made me wonder who has ultimate control over making those songs available to businesses that want to use them. I suppose this means who “owns” them. (?). I’m guessing the ABKCO stuff might have different ownership from the newer stuff, but I’m not sure how that all works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 12:41 by bv.

Re: Who determines how Stones songs are used in commercials?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2023 06:32

I don't think ABKCO can use the Stones material they possess without permission from Rolling Stones Inc. Or else they'd be doing just that. I remember in the states Satisfaction was used on a Snickers candy bar commercial. I think that was pre-new agreement where ABKCO and Rolling Stones Inc. are tied together when it comes to ABKCO controlled Stones songs. Rolling Stones Inc. must have some control over what ABKCO releases. Although I was a little surprised at the 50th Anniversary Beggars Banquet that had absolutely nothing new. I don't even think the mix was.

To answer your question the Stone determine how their songs are used in commercials. They still haven't sold their catalogue for a gazillion dollars to some hedge fund, like so many others. And I don't know what they're doing with those songs either. I haven't heard those in commercials either.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 06:42

Ya I caught that Appelbees one the other night.. We both looked at each other and said WTF.. lol

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2023 06:50

Surprised the Stones would go so low...Applebees is terrible.
There was an Applebees (aka Crappybees) in my town about a decade ago, but it failed miserably and shut down...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2023 10:10

Hairball
Surprised the Stones would go so low...Applebees is terrible.
There was an Applebees (aka Crappybees) in my town about a decade ago, but it failed miserably and shut down...

Applebees in general are failing across the board. This may be a desperate attempt to jump start the brand. I haven't seen the commercial, but come on, if they're using the known studio version, Mick, Keith and all other Stones who played on the original recording got a nice cash present for Christmas.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 10, 2023 13:55

i've eaten at applebee's before

it smelled weird, the service was bad, and the food wasn't very good

but what made up for it was watching from our seats as three drunk guys beat the ever loving sh-t out each other in the parking lot for a good 20 minutes set to neil diamond

not that this seemed to faze anyone in the restaurant who just seemed to ignore it as if this was a normal event that happened every night

anyways i prefer shari's

at least they can cook a halfway decent omelet and there pies not to bad

but i bet mick's still kicking himself for not taking ruby tuesday's offer and getting that lifetime supply of jalapeno poppersgrinning smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:36

It's almost like NBA teams with corporate logos on their jerseys. It's their choice and sure they can do it if they want, but why? When is enough money enough? It surely can't be because they are passionate about Applebee's.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:36

Applebees is like McDonalds but with liquor added.

Somebody in Stones world licenses those songs so it's on them.

Applebees should at least add Shepherd's Pie to the menu though.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:38

The the thing that irked me about recent use of She's A Rainbow in an advert is that they remixed it and beefed up the drums with samples. Yuk

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 01:29

So, to what extent do Mick/Keith actually have control over how their music is used in TV commercials? Is it their decision?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 11, 2023 01:37

ProfessorWolf

but what made up for it was watching from our seats as three drunk guys beat the ever loving sh-t out each other in the parking lot for a good 20 minutes set to neil diamond

not that this seemed to faze anyone in the restaurant who just seemed to ignore it as if this was a normal event that happened every night

anyways i prefer shari's

but i bet mick's still kicking himself for not taking ruby tuesday's offer and getting that lifetime supply of jalapeno poppersgrinning smiley

I like Shari's, too (for that sort of thing). Unfortunately they don't have any restaurants super close to me. They are all over the place in Oregon though. I ate at one on my NIN roadtrip in September.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 11, 2023 03:30

rocker1
So, to what extent do Mick/Keith actually have control over how their music is used in TV commercials? Is it their decision?

Completely. The made a good buck years ago when Microsoft used Start Me Up.

Pete Townsend once said that he didn’t care what people thought about Who songs used in a car commercial. “It’s my song and I’m gonna do what I want with it”

Date: January 11, 2023 04:23

crholmstrom
ProfessorWolf

anyways i prefer shari's

I like Shari's, too (for that sort of thing). Unfortunately they don't have any restaurants super close to me. They are all over the place in Oregon though. I ate at one on my NIN roadtrip in September.

yeah they are kinda hard to find

the ones i eat at are in olympia, wa and tacoma

and those are still 70 miles from where i live

but applebee's are everywhere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-11 04:24 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 11, 2023 05:21

Applebee’s is the epitome of mediocrity. McDonald’s at least has good breakfasts!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 11, 2023 13:15

rocker1

To use a song for a commercial, you'll have to look for the songwriter, performing rights organization (e.g. ASCAP or BMI) and publisher for that particular track. Then ask the publisher for a mechanical license to use the song. Once you got the permission from the publisher, you'll still need to contact the record label (and in some cases, the artist) for a final blessing.

During the election campaign, the 45th President of the United States used the song YCAGWYW without a license - but the Stones managed in the end to stop the use of this song for (his) political campaigns.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 11, 2023 13:37

Spouse and I were in bed last night and it came on TV and she looked at me and smirked and said “ sell outs”

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2023 09:23

rocker1

Total control.

Except when they sign an agreement with... Bravado, an extension of Universal.

Date: January 16, 2023 09:25

donvis
Applebee’s is the epitome of mediocrity. McDonald’s at least has good breakfasts!

Only if you like below mediocre breakfasts.

Start Me Up advertising for Applebee's?
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 16, 2023 05:39

Is this new? I looked up during a break in the football game and the Stones were selling boneless chicken wings. I don't know why exactly. I would think they have control of their post 71 publishing and not need the cash. Just weird..

Re: Start Me Up advertising for Applebee's?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: January 16, 2023 05:51

It's a pretty new ad as far as I know. Seems so out of place!

Date: January 16, 2023 05:56

I think this is the commercial

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2023 06:18

Yikes that's just sad. That's a long way from Windows 95.

Date: January 16, 2023 07:22

yeah its kinda wacky

also this is the second thread about this

iorr

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 16, 2023 07:43

Sorry, didn't see 1st thread

Date: January 16, 2023 09:24

The Stones (Mick and Keith) don't need the money. See the other thread.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 16, 2023 13:41

GasLightStreet
The Stones (Mick and Keith) don't need the money. See the other thread.

Probably they do not, but seemingly they don't have anything against having some more...

- Doxa

Date: January 16, 2023 14:07

Irix

During the election campaign, the 45th president of the United States used the song YCAGWYW without a license - but the Stones managed in the end to stop the use of this song for (his) political campaigns.

Did they actually managed to do that? I recall the argument from Trump side was that of the rallies being public events, and thereby if just paying mechanical royalties, there was nothing the band could do about it. Free world, etc. But yeah, there were some further arguments by the Stones (and some other artists), but I don't know what happened with those. Great if they actually succeed.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 14:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 16, 2023 14:27

DiegoGlimmerStones
I think this is the commercial

As an American, I'm perhaps more embarrassed about this god-awful chain of restaurants than just about anything else my beloved country has spawned. As someone wrote, Applebee's is the epitome of mediocrity.

Worse, the company peddles "food" that is not food, stuff that in the long run is lethal to one's health. Just look at the crap they show in that commercial. Deep-fried, high-sodium, high-fat garbage. Eating this stuff regularly causes obesity, diabetes, and a host of other health problems that so many Americans now are suffering from. We are crippled by our poor diets here, and increasingly, in so much of the rest of the world.

Yes, ultimately consumer ignorance is to blame. But I despise these merchants of death. And the irony that my favorite band is helping them in their efforts to push an obscene lie is very difficult for me to stomach.

Drew

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 16, 2023 14:40

Doxa

Did they actually managed to do that?

Somehow: [www.Reuters.com] , [www.BBC.com] , [www.NME.com] , [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.Forbes.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 15:00 by Irix.

Date: January 16, 2023 14:57

Irix
Doxa

Did they actually managed to do that?

Somehow: [www.Reuters.com] , [www.BBC.com] , [www.NME.com] , [UltimateClassicRock.com] .

Cool! thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 14:58 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home