Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Which Stones books are missing in my collection?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:50

VoodooLounge13

so is the same content written twice on each page? Once in German and once in English? There's no content missing from either language? Meaning nothing written exclusively in one but not the other?

If the entire book is written like on page 245 (see the link) then it's exactly the same content (German & English) and no content is missing from either language.

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: January 21, 2023 13:54

Irix
VoodooLounge13

so is the same content written twice on each page? Once in German and once in English? There's no content missing from either language? Meaning nothing written exclusively in one but not the other?

If the entire book is written like on page 245 (see the link) then it's exactly the same content (German & English) and no content is missing from either language.

That's right Irix, everything written by the authors Olaf & Gerd can be read in both English and German (without loss of content)!
Only the newspaper/magazine articles contained in the book are in the national language WITHOUT translation. (most of them in german & english, a few in france and other languages.
Since a significant part of the book also consists of press articles, I wanted to mention that.

From the 6 books by the two authors (a photo of the front pages can be found a few posts earlier), only the books "Charlie Watts" and the "Licks Tour 2002/03" are bilingual, the other 4 books are only available in German. (The exception here are of course the press articles from different countries) winking smiley

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 22, 2023 06:35

ProfessorWolf

are you in the us?

if so ask if your library is part of the inter library loan program

because they just accepted my request and are shipping the book to my local library from a library somewhere in the us

and if it works for me it might work for you

I am in San Diego. The LA library has it. I will check into that. Thx

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 22, 2023 07:41

JadedFaded
ProfessorWolf

are you in the us?

if so ask if your library is part of the inter library loan program

because they just accepted my request and are shipping the book to my local library from a library somewhere in the us

and if it works for me it might work for you

I am in San Diego. The LA library has it. I will check into that. Thx

your welcome

i've gotten a lot of great stuff this way for free the mono boxset, all the singles boxsets etc

you can possibly request that the library buy it too

most libraries are interested in what there patrons want them to purchase for there collections

i got mine to buy the super deluxe of tattoo you last year for instance

you never know

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 22, 2023 11:07

Which Books?...

Phelge's, Sam Cutler's, Bill German's are all imperative.

Andrew Loog Oldham's books are worthy.

Obviously Bill Wyman's. And if you take it with a pinch of salt and you can manage to penetrate the curious form of english in which it's written, Keith's book.

For reference, Martin Elliott's volumes.

Visually an unequalled record (no pun intended) of the early days is Gus Coral's book "The Rolling Stones : Black and white blues, 1963" See [www.abebooks.com] for details.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 22, 2023 11:13

CaptainCorella
Which Books?...

Obviously Bill Wyman's. And if you take it with a pinch of salt and you can manage to penetrate the curious form of english in which it's written, Keith's book.

Visually an unequalled record (no pun intended) of the early days is Gus Coral's book "The Rolling Stones : Black and white blues, 1963" See [www.abebooks.com] for details.

No 'Ronnie'?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 22, 2023 11:17

CaptainCorella
Which Books?...

.....good list......!...you can add the Bob Bonis photos book from de US 1964 tour (session at Chess in june )

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: January 22, 2023 20:14

DandelionPowderman
The best one is yet to be mentioned: «Phelge's Stones»!

A well-written tale from a guy who was there from the beginning.

[www.amazon.com]

Ordered this one too, directly from James Phelge!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-22 20:16 by bluenote.

Date: January 27, 2023 22:32

14 more books on their way due to your tips! Many thanks!

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: January 28, 2023 00:08

The Genesis Publications books on the Stones are great - super expensive and out of print. Rockman posted a pic of TOTA earlier in the thread - a Genesis book.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 9, 2023 18:44

I just finished the first two books by Andrew Oldham, Stoned and 2Stoned. I have a hefty Rolling Stones library, but somehow with these two books I just never got around to reading them. While listening to some old Stones vinyl a few weeks ago, and reading the back cover notes by Andrew, it occurred to me that he wrote these two books and that I MUST finally pursue them. The past 12 days I poured ravenously over both books, and tightened up the seat belt for what developed into quite a wild ride. What a life that guy has led! For better or worse as to how he got there, Andrew was a genius, an original, and he started figuring it out at a ridiculously young age. He had quite a story to tell. Yes, some of the many anecdotes one can speed read through or simply skip as I found it of little interest, but Andrew's story was/is amazing. Draining and redundant in the drugged up and heavy drinking lifestyle he adopted, the stories are nonetheless compelling. How did that guy survive to tell his story, one wonders while reading through the self-destructive carnage? Somehow, miraculously he made it through to a different and satisfying phase in life. Andrew was always a clever wordsmith.

If you haven't read these books, as a Stones fan it makes for essential reading. Play those early albums through BtB for embellishment.

Date: February 21, 2023 15:14

filstan
I just finished the first two books by Andrew Oldham, Stoned and 2Stoned. I have a hefty Rolling Stones library, but somehow with these two books I just never got around to reading them. While listening to some old Stones vinyl a few weeks ago, and reading the back cover notes by Andrew, it occurred to me that he wrote these two books and that I MUST finally pursue them. The past 12 days I poured ravenously over both books, and tightened up the seat belt for what developed into quite a wild ride. What a life that guy has led! For better or worse as to how he got there, Andrew was a genius, an original, and he started figuring it out at a ridiculously young age. He had quite a story to tell. Yes, some of the many anecdotes one can speed read through or simply skip as I found it of little interest, but Andrew's story was/is amazing. Draining and redundant in the drugged up and heavy drinking lifestyle he adopted, the stories are nonetheless compelling. How did that guy survive to tell his story, one wonders while reading through the self-destructive carnage? Somehow, miraculously he made it through to a different and satisfying phase in life. Andrew was always a clever wordsmith.

If you haven't read these books, as a Stones fan it makes for essential reading. Play those early albums through BtB for embellishment.

I stumbled accross his books when going trough Amazon. I put them in my basket, and then removed them again. I was just wondering how much it is about the Stones (of course, I know his connection to the Stones)?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 22, 2023 19:57

bluenote
filstan

I stumbled accross his books when going trough Amazon. I put them in my basket, and then removed them again. I was just wondering how much it is about the Stones (of course, I know his connection to the Stones)?

I recall getting 200 pages deep into Stoned before his attendance at a gig in Richmond at The Station Hotel when all the fun begins. His early pre Stones life though is worth reading about. Put those books back in the basket!

Date: June 15, 2023 14:00

Time for an update, since I bought quite some additions to my humble book collection based on your tips.

Title Author
Under Their Thumb - Bill German
Rocks off - Bill Janovitz
Rolling with the Stones - Bill Wyman
Stone Alone - Bill Wyman
Stones from the Inside - Bill Wyman
The Rolling Stones - Christopher Sandford
The Rolling Stones; The first 20 years - David Dalton
Tourbook '72 - Erwin Hoetjes
Let it bleed - Ethan Russel
Villa Nellcote - Geir Hornes
Not Fade Away - Geoffrey Guiliano
Time Fades Away - Hendrik Mulder
Phelge Stones - James Phelge
Nankering with The Rolling Stones - James Phelge
Altamont - Joel Selvin
A life on the Road - Jools Holland
Life - Keith Richards
Rolling Stones autobiografisch - Loeb
The Rolling Stones; All the songs - Margotin & Guesdon
Hot Stuff - Matt Lee
According to The Rolling Stones - Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Charlie's good tonight - Paul Sexton
Sympathy for the devil - Paul Trynka
Mick Jagger - Philip Norman
The acclaimed biography - Philip Norman
The Rolling Stones in Nederland - Rene Spork
The sun & the moon & The Rolling Stones - Rich Cohen
On air in the sixties - Richard Havers
Exile on main street - Robert Greenfield
Ronnie - Ron Wood
Butterfly on a wheel - Simon Wells
The true adventures of The Rolling Stones - Stanley Booyh
Unzipped - The Rolling Stones
Up and down with the Rolling Stones - Tony Sanchez
Keith Richards - Victor Bockris

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 15, 2023 14:25

bluenote
Time for an update, since I bought quite some additions to my humble book collection based on your tips.

Title Author
Under Their Thumb - Bill German
Rocks off - Bill Janovitz
Rolling with the Stones - Bill Wyman
Stone Alone - Bill Wyman
Stones from the Inside - Bill Wyman
The Rolling Stones - Christopher Sandford
The Rolling Stones; The first 20 years - David Dalton
Tourbook '72 - Erwin Hoetjes
Let it bleed - Ethan Russel
Villa Nellcote - Geir Hornes
Not Fade Away - Geoffrey Guiliano
Time Fades Away - Hendrik Mulder
Phelge Stones - James Phelge
Nankering with The Rolling Stones - James Phelge
Altamont - Joel Selvin
A life on the Road - Jools Holland
Life - Keith Richards
Rolling Stones autobiografisch - Loeb
The Rolling Stones; All the songs - Margotin & Guesdon
Hot Stuff - Matt Lee
According to The Rolling Stones - Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Charlie's good tonight - Paul Sexton
Sympathy for the devil - Paul Trynka
Mick Jagger - Philip Norman
The acclaimed biography - Philip Norman
The Rolling Stones in Nederland - Rene Spork
The sun & the moon & The Rolling Stones - Rich Cohen
On air in the sixties - Richard Havers
Exile on main street - Robert Greenfield
Ronnie - Ron Wood
Butterfly on a wheel - Simon Wells
The true adventures of The Rolling Stones - Stanley Booyh
Unzipped - The Rolling Stones
Up and down with the Rolling Stones - Tony Sanchez
Keith Richards - Victor Bockris

That will keep you going for a while (until the next concert?)cool smiley
My nr. 1 on your list is the one written by Paul Trynka. Tough but very, very close (read Keith' book Life first).

"The awful truth is very sad, I must admit I was awful bad" confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 15, 2023 20:48

One I like is 'The Rolling Stones: Off the Record' by Mark Paytress. It is a collection of early interviews, where Mick and Keith are a lot more forthcoming and radical than they were in later years.

My favourite Stones book is Spanish Tony's 'Down and Our with the Rolling Stones.'

I also like Philip Norman's early bio because he has interviews with people who are now long dead.

Right now I'm reading his bio of Mick.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 16, 2023 15:36

Exile & Outtake

Date: June 20, 2023 22:23

detroitken
Exile & Outtake

By whom? Can't find it.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 20, 2023 22:47

bluenote
detroitken
Exile & Outtake

By whom? Can't find it.

EXILE is a different book than the Robert Greenfield one.
It may be hard to purchase because it was published with unique photos from French photographer Dominique Tarle and limited to less than 1700 prints. You may be talking about 700 to maybe 1500 US dollars (or more) per book.
I was lucky to get one and it's a beauty.

With Outtake detroitken is referring to a huge book, also known as "Stu". Another very costly book dedicated to Ian Stewart. I don't own it, but was given plenty of time to read an exclusive copy of it. Highly recommendable because apart from contributions by the members of The Rolling Stones themselves, there are contributions by quite some other famous musicians, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page, just to name a couple. Some time ago the editor/publisher apparently had (maybe still has) a couple "left overs" for sale.
Good luck smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 20, 2023 23:30

STU is probably my favorite and most cherished book.
Sadly, the author and publisher has passed away. If you can find one, get it.
(LIFE by Keith is probably my least favorite)

Bill German's book is a fun read and The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote is absolutely fabulous, even though it is the story of a building!

Add: The Rolling Stones 50 Licks by Pete Fornatale to your list too.

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: June 21, 2023 04:15

Book I have, new, The Rolling Stones, Out of Their Heads. 1965/1967, 1982
Photographs by Gered Mankowitz text English, German. Vol 1,2 very heavy, with posters. On US EBay for sale.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: June 21, 2023 04:23

A few more that I've collected over the last 50 years some are long out of print:

In the Beginning – Brent Rej
Old Gods almost dead 40 year history of the Rolling Stones
What would Keith Richards do? Jessica Pallington West
How to be wild like Keith Richards – Jack Wilson
Prince among Stones – Prince Rupert Lowenstein
Stoned - Andrew Loog Oldham
Exhibitionism - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones - Robert Palmer
The Rolling Stones files – Mark Paytress
The Rolling Stones – Roy carr
The Rolling Stones Complete recording sessions – Martin Elliott
Exile on Main Street – Robert Greenfield
Mick Jagger J Marks
Mick Jagger Everybody’s Lucifer
It’s only rock’n roll – Chet Flippo
The Rolling Stones – David Dalton
The Rolling Stones - Jeremy Pascall
The Rolling Stones – Tony Jasper
The complete recording guide to The Rolling Stones -James Karnbach & Carol Benrson
The Rolling Stones – Street Fighting Years Stephen Barnard foreword by Bill Wyman

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2023 01:17

I hope you are not just "collecting" all these books. Sit down and read them before you buy any more!

Posted by: winos ()
Date: June 22, 2023 02:25

Green Lady
I hope you are not just "collecting" all these books. Sit down and read them before you buy any more!

Many of the them I've read some are mainly picture books from the early and mid 70's. I have many of the others that people have already posted such as Keith's, Ronnie's & Wyman's books.

I've just finished Charlie's good tonight which was an interesting and humorous book, now reading Tony King's book on his life working with the Stones, Beatles & Elton.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: June 22, 2023 11:51

I surely do read them!

Date: June 22, 2023 11:52

Thanks!!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 22, 2023 13:58

Some of these:

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 25, 2023 14:45

And some more:

[iorr.org] , [www.Baden.fm] - (Video, Pos. 0:40)

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: June 26, 2023 22:44

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: June 26, 2023 22:46

i never get a simple photo here

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home