Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Stones 2023...what can be done to excite fans
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 13, 2023 21:56

TheBluesHadaBaby
Leave that damned SIXTY stage in Europe and give us back the four giant No Filter LED towers. Those were awesome.

that would be nice

but since they seems to planning a new tour hopefully a new stage will be part of the deal

but even not it'd still be enough that they still perform at all

the stage is just gravy

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: January 14, 2023 18:12

More Hot Rocks
The words The Rolling Stones is enough to excite me!

If you need anything else than the fact that they are still on stage to get excited, I can't help you ;-)

Speaking personally I feel sad reading these quotes. It make me feel like the band is just a kind of freak shown now. Celebrated for their longevity. A kind of musical museum piece Not a living, breathing, vital entity.

How long before we read something like the following? 'Buy a ticket for The Rolling Stones. The OLDEST band in the world. Watch a group on VERY OLD PEOPLE play rock music. Marvel at nearly-80 year old lead singer Mick Jagger remain upright for two hours while singing. Give thanks for 79 year old Keith Richards holding, and PLAYING, a guitar without anyone helping him...'

Yes, yes, I know I'm exaggerating. But not all that much. Surely longevity alone dilutes their legacy, and musical relevance significantly...

Date: January 14, 2023 19:38

GerardHennessy
More Hot Rocks

If you need anything else than the fact that they are still on stage to get excited, I can't help you ;-)

Speaking personally I feel sad reading these quotes. It make me feel like the band is just a kind of freak shown now. Celebrated for their longevity. A kind of musical museum piece Not a living, breathing, vital entity.

How long before we read something like the following? 'Buy a ticket for The Rolling Stones. The OLDEST band in the world. Watch a group on VERY OLD PEOPLE play rock music. Marvel at nearly-80 year old lead singer Mick Jagger remain upright for two hours while singing. Give thanks for 79 year old Keith Richards holding, and PLAYING, a guitar without anyone helping him...'

Yes, yes, I know I'm exaggerating. But not all that much. Surely longevity alone dilutes their legacy, and musical relevance significantly...

i don't where you been but they've been writing stuff like that about them since at least 1978winking smiley

Date: January 15, 2023 03:03

ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy
More Hot Rocks

i don't where you been but they've been writing stuff like that about them since at least 1978winking smiley

Quite!

I've been right here sir, and I'm well aware of how often this issue raises its head. I have commented similarly before. But my feelings of protectiveness towards the band re-surface regularly. No doubt many people think their longevity alone is praiseworthy. Regrettably I don't. Becoming an oldies act, which is what they are, really dilutes their legacy, status and musical relevance.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 15, 2023 08:13

GerardHennessy
More Hot Rocks

They cannot help it, they are 80.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 08:13 by Topi.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 15, 2023 08:16

ProfessorWolf

the stage is just gravy

Gravy? I thought the stage was a giant Spanish omelette with salsa poured all over it? winking smiley

Date: January 15, 2023 14:03

Topi
GerardHennessy
More Hot Rocks

They cannot help it, they are 80.

Absolutely correct, both in fact and in relevance. The ARE 80, and therefore are limited by what is possible for 80 year olds. It IS marvellous, physiologically, that they can do what they do. But The Stones are a BAND, not a physiological phenomenon. I fell in love with The Stones for the boundaries and limits they expanded, their pioneering spirit, their 'f**k you' attitude, the supposed danger they posed to civilised society and above all because they wrote, recorded and played some of the most EXCITING music I ever heard. And probably ever will hear...

How sad that it has all descended into a kind of glorified karaoke. An on-stage version of Classic Rock Radio coming soon to a theatre near you. A never-ending tour of Hot Rocks...

Date: January 15, 2023 18:22

GerardHennessy
ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy
More Hot Rocks

Quite!

I've been right here sir, and I'm well aware of how often this issue raises its head. I have commented similarly before. But my feelings of protectiveness towards the band re-surface regularly. No doubt many people think their longevity alone is praiseworthy. Regrettably I don't. Becoming an oldies act, which is what they are, really dilutes their legacy, status and musical relevance.

i'm sorry but for everyone other then us hardcore fans there relevant legacy ended in 1981 nothing they do going forward will dilute that legacy

to future generations the last 40 years will be just a footnote in there history and will not effect how there viewed

you can rest assured of that

and at least there releasing new music this year which likely will get played onstage too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 18:36 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 15, 2023 19:00

What about Shine a Light, the film, or Exhibitionism/Unzipped?
Just part of the footnote, huh.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 19:01 by angee.

Date: January 15, 2023 19:32

angee
What about Shine a Light, the film, or Exhibitionism/Unzipped?
Just part of the footnote, huh.

not to me or you

but to the average public and future generations yes

and my comment was about there legacy not being injured or diluted by what they do past 1981 not rather what they've done since isn't great and interesting in its own right

most of it is

but for most casual fans all that matters about them is that period from 1963 to 1981

it's why most documentaries and books barley touch on anything past the 80's (much to my frustration)

it's sadly not up to me or you to decide how they will be remembered when they and us are gone it'll be the casual fans and general public

and that's the era in there history that they will remember and celebrate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-15 19:34 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: January 15, 2023 20:35

Isn't that always true, the most popular eras of an artist or musician are the most remembered by the larger public?
(I'm saying, maybe I don't completely get your point.)

So is this topic asking what can be done to excite us fans or what can be done to excite the casual fan?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 15, 2023 20:37

Release a complete inventory list of everything they have in their vaults and personal collections.Ask all private collectors to join the list with their collection lists

Date: January 15, 2023 21:07

angee
Isn't that always true, the most popular eras of an artist or musician are the most remembered by the larger public?

So is this topic asking what can be done to excite us fans or what can be done to excite the casual fan?

i think you get my point

i was responding to gerardhennessy's post about them diluting there legacy because of what they've done in recent years

my point is in the long run it doesn't matter to there legacy what they do now because what they did 60 to 40 years ago is what counts for there legacy and what they've done since though largely great in my opinion won't really effect what people or fans in the future think or feel about them

also it would seem this topic is about what can be done to excite us hardcore fans and not the more casual fans

and the best answer to that is new music in an album and onstage

Date: January 15, 2023 22:41

Okay, gotcha. I think I agree. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 15, 2023 22:52

Taylor1
Release a complete inventory list of everything they have in their vaults and personal collections.Ask all private collectors to join the list with their collection lists

it would be nice to know for sure what's still out there even if it isn't released

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2023 02:54

They should tour SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES just because Mick and Keith turn 80 this year.

Think of the songs that might be played live: If I Was A Dancer, Everything Is Turning To Gold, Time Waits For No One, Crazy Mama, Hot Stuff. Of course there's Shattered and Beast Of Burden.

Date: January 16, 2023 03:09

ProfessorWolf
angee

i think you get my point

i was responding to gerardhennessy's post about them diluting there legacy because of what they've done in recent years

my point is in the long run it doesn't matter to there legacy what they do now because what they did 60 to 40 years ago is what counts for there legacy and what they've done since though largely great in my opinion won't really effect what people or fans in the future think or feel about them

also it would seem this topic is about what can be done to excite us hardcore fans and not the more casual fans

and the best answer to that is new music in an album and onstage

Well here's hoping for both. New music in an album AND on stage. Sadly there is about as much chance of getting both as there is of me getting to the moon. We MIGHT get a new album. After a lot of talk and excited postings back in November time it has all gone quiet again. And the upcoming Live Grrr release will push back any new studio album even further. Of course we might just get a new single. Or what used to be called an EP in Britain. In effect a kind of mini-album with 4-5 songs on it. But whatever we DO get, if anything, is unlikely to get any significant degree of performance on stage. A couple of tracks for the first performances on the next tour, before being jettisoned in favour of the good old warhorses yet again.

That is what the majority of audiences want to hear. And that is what they will get.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2023 03:59

A brand new Stones tune that features cowbell prominently would be exciting.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 16, 2023 04:00

Wow people here really hate The Stones. Never happy

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2023 04:15

Who ? .....where ? .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 16, 2023 04:36

They had me at Ladies and Gentlemen…

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2023 05:00

YES .... those Unisex public toilets can be very dangerous ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 16, 2023 05:50

More dangerous in Scotland. Especially confusing is the Laddie’s Room.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 16, 2023 15:33

I hope the Stones have a curator who is preserving the music and videos they have in their vaults from loss and destruction. I also hope the Stones are properly preserving stuff they have in their private collections .Hopefully a fully filmed video of a 1973 concert or the NME 1968 concert for example isn’t sitting in one of their garages

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 15:34 by Taylor1.

Date: January 16, 2023 16:01

Cooltoplady

I doubt ANYONE here hates The Stones. Very much the opposite in fact. And not alone are the band loved emotionally and musically, but most people on this site have paid vast amounts of hard cash to buy their merchandise, attend their concerts, follow them across national boundaries, and purchase their recordings. Often at considerable expense.

Just because there are different opinions, ideas and assessments of The Stones' music, their recordings and their performances, does not indicate any form of dislike, never mind hatred. Frustration certainly, irritation at times, and maybe even disappointment. Especially as many of us have waited for DECADES for new recordings, and for a greater degree of variety in their setlists. But none of this suggests any significant displeasure. Being a true fan is all about having an opposing opinion, but loving the object of fandom as much as ever.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 16, 2023 16:26

Perfectly stated GerardHennessy. Seems any type of disagreement about anything Stones related is percieved as plain wrong. Oh well.

Date: January 17, 2023 07:27

GerardHennessy
Cooltoplady

I doubt ANYONE here hates The Stones. Very much the opposite in fact. And not alone are the band loved emotionally and musically, but most people on this site have paid vast amounts of hard cash to buy their merchandise, attend their concerts, follow them across national boundaries, and purchase their recordings. Often at considerable expense.

Just because there are different opinions, ideas and assessments of The Stones' music, their recordings and their performances, does not indicate any form of dislike, never mind hatred. Frustration certainly, irritation at times, and maybe even disappointment. Especially as many of us have waited for DECADES for new recordings, and for a greater degree of variety in their setlists. But none of this suggests any significant displeasure. Being a true fan is all about having an opposing opinion, but loving the object of fandom as much as ever.

very well said

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 17, 2023 08:10

GerardHennessy
Cooltoplady

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Perfectly said.

And to "Cooltoplady":

Please stop these "your opinion is not mine = hate" equations. We have enough of this shit in the world already.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: January 17, 2023 09:43

I say it every tour... For Mick and Keith to sing Happy together..

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: January 17, 2023 14:23

A new record would be nice. Small intimate shows to promote the new record.

Need to release stuff from the vault consisting of studio outtakes and live stuff, etc. Emotional Rescue anniversary edition?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home