Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Stones 2023...what can be done to excite fans
Date: January 5, 2023 23:54

I can't help but compare the Rolling Stones to say, Muhammad Ali, for example.
Was it great and exiting to see him fight in his prime and at his peak? Yes. Was it great to sea him boxing at the end of his career? Maybe great to pay a lot and see him in person in the front row. But his reflexes and skills with the exception of a few punches? Not really. He should have stopped earlier. It hurt my eyes.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 5, 2023 23:58

Muhammad Ali could no longer box; Mick, Keith & Ron can certainly still make great music and put on an exciting show.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 6, 2023 00:04

24FPS
I'm in it for the vintage material. I'm still floating from El Mocambo. Thankfully I haven't reached the point with it where it's not novel. A 1972 concert. Maybe a complete compilation of the Maysles brothers films of the '69 concerts. Europe '67. Paris of Knebworth, or both, '76. I hope they've got something fabulous in the vault pipeline for 2023. It disturbs me that ABKCO is awfully quiet.

I'm with you, but also a new album.

Date: January 6, 2023 00:06

Congratulations
Muhammad Ali could no longer box; Mick, Keith & Ron can certainly still make great music and put on an exciting show.

There were indeed a lot of people that still thought Ali could exchange some good punches and put on a great show against Shavers for a couple of rounds. Maybe a bit odd to compare Ali with the Stones. To me it's the same feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-06 00:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 6, 2023 01:55

The new album without a title. And lots of guest artists.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2023 06:06

DandelionPowderman

Out of curiosity, dd you also complain about the lack of variety in the setlists in the 60s and early 70s?

Can you imagine, even LESS variety back then!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2023 06:09

TheflyingDutchman
I can't help but compare the Rolling Stones to say, Muhammad Ali, for example.
Was it great and exiting to see him fight in his prime and at his peak? Yes. Was it great to sea him boxing at the end of his career? Maybe great to pay a lot and see him in person in the front row. But his reflexes and skills with the exception of a few punches? Not really. He should have stopped earlier. It hurt my eyes.

Not a fair example...Ali had early onset Parkinsons...I don't think that an issue with the Stones.

They can still throw a musical punch.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 6, 2023 06:50

In 1978 Geraldo Rivera compared the Stones with Muhammed Ali. It seemed apt at the time, in that both began in the '60's and were still going strong.

But by the 80's Ali boxing career was over, and he was doing tacky bug spray ads.

[www.youtube.com]

I can think of being at a mall and hearing Mick's song,"Just Another Night" and thinking, "This is Mick's d-Con commercial..."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2023 06:54

A new studio album.

Date: January 6, 2023 08:44

Hairball
A new album...performed LIVE in it's entirety!

...and in the correct order of tracks!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 6, 2023 10:42

The last time I felt real excitement about the band was around the introduction of the 1989 tour. Things were still possible then. After that it has been a nostalgia journey
more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that though. Who thought they would carry on in their eighties?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-06 12:07 by Stoneage.

Date: January 6, 2023 11:01

No one did. At least not in 1989.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: January 6, 2023 11:08

Compare Stones to clint eastwood.age changes things but there is still greatness behind the curtains.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: January 6, 2023 13:13

Well, I will get 60 this year and went to every tour since 1982 and saw 26 dhows. May ve it's because I get older and it's so unbelievable to ser these guys turning 80 and still pergorming öike they do. I saw them in Munich this year and I was realy excited and had a real good time! I was very scrptic before they started with Steve Jordan but I I had to confess, that they still are on fire. They trusted in Steve Jordan, may be because Charlie Watts chose him. They trusted and he gave his whole personality and experience. Together they let themsrlves go and so the whole band followed. That's what they do everytime when thry play, letting themselves go into it and enjoy themselves. This is the spark, that burns my excitement. To live and enjoy 200% in the very moment together with all the other people around me.
They are able to share their joy of life in the very moment.
That's what it's about for me.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 6, 2023 13:20

micha063

... They are able to share their joy of life in the very moment.
That's what it's about for me.

That's a great observation...with much in it for me too.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: January 6, 2023 13:30

what can be done to excite fans?, the NEXT TOUR!!.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 6, 2023 16:12

A new tour, like every year since 2012, except for 2020, when nothing happened. A new album. What more can we ask for. We are lucky, very very lucky, to be Stones fans. They could have retired or breaking up ages ago.

To those who complain - if you were a Beatles fan, and not a Stones fan, what were your excitements since 1970?

Bjornulf

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 6, 2023 16:37

Hairball

at least one time in a small club record and release it on one of the dozen versions of the new album that some think are gonna be released

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 6, 2023 18:12

bv
A new tour, like every year since 2012, except for 2020, when nothing happened.

Let’s hope and pray the rapidly spreading new variant (XBB.1.5/‘kraken’) won’t bring us back to year 2020 again!

[news.sky.com]

Date: January 6, 2023 18:33

bv
To those who complain - if you were a Beatles fan, and not a Stones fan, what were your excitements since 1970?

A perfect way of putting it.

Back in 1998 and 2000, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis all toured Europe together, and some people complained that "they're not as good as they used to be" or "the setlists are too predictable". I told people then to appreciate what they still have, because someday soon it will all be over. The same applies to the Rolling Stones today.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 6, 2023 18:47

RisingStone
bv

Let’s hope and pray the rapidly spreading new variant (XBB.1.5/‘kraken’) won’t bring us back to year 2020 again!

[news.sky.com]

The Rolling Stones toured USA in 2021, when the much more fatal Delta variant was around, and they also toured Europe in 2021, when a bunch of other Omicron variants were around. The covid-19 virus will be around for the next 100 years according to virus experts. The annual flu is now more dangerous than covid-19. The Rolling Stones do already have two years of experience in touring with the covid virus being around. Just get your shots, then no worries.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 6, 2023 19:11

bv
RisingStone
bv

[news.sky.com]

The Rolling Stones toured USA in 2021, when the much more fatal Delta variant was around, and they also toured Europe in 2021, when a bunch of other Omicron variants were around. The covid-19 virus will be around for the next 100 years according to virus experts. The annual flu is now more dangerous than covid-19. The Rolling Stones do already have two years of experience in touring with the covid virus being around. Just get your shots, then no worries.

I’m not so sure the annual flu is now more dangerous than covid-19 and “one more shot” is sufficient enough to protect us, but anyway, hopefully things won’t get worse than they’ve ever been.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 6, 2023 19:29

Spud
Are you also going to ask the Pope to re-write the Holy Mass ? grinning smiley

It's been done ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 6, 2023 19:45

ProfessorWolf
Hairball

at least one time in a small club record and release it on one of the dozen versions of the new album that some think are gonna be released

Yes that sounds like a good plan- from start to finish in a small club along with some of the classic warhorses for the second set.
They could make it a pay-per-view...add a special guest such as Taylor Swift...they could make billions and billions of dollars!

Date: January 6, 2023 20:01

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

Yes that sounds like a good plan- from start to finish in a small club along with some of the classic warhorses for the second set.
They could make it a pay-per-view...add a special guest such as Taylor Swift...they could make billions and billions of dollars!

I certainly wouldn't call Taylor Swift "special"...

Dick Taylor's not doing much these days, invite him instead. Or Eric Burdon perhaps?

Date: January 6, 2023 20:07

RisingStone
bv
RisingStone
bv

[news.sky.com]

I’m not so sure the annual flu is now more dangerous than covid-19 and “one more shot” is sufficient enough to protect us, but anyway, hopefully things won’t get worse than they’ve ever been.

Hopefully Mick and the rest of the band keep up with their shots (and tighten the "bubble" around the band), but even then there's always a risk of getting covid-19.
As most of us recall, Mick caught it last summer resulting in postponed/cancelled shows, not to mention the thousands of fans whose plans were disrupted throughout the entire tour due to catching the virus.
Hope everyone can stay as safe as possible, but life goes on....looking forward to seeing the Stones in California one more time....thumbs up

Date: January 6, 2023 20:14

Congratulations
Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

I certainly wouldn't call Taylor Swift "special"...

Dick Taylor's not doing much these days, invite him instead. Or Eric Burdon perhaps?

I'd say she's "special" due to the fact she has billions of fans and is probably the most popular artist in the world right now. Her success equals massive sales for the Stones which was my point.
Dick Taylor is pretty much unknown to the masses, and Eric Burden is a bit over the hill to put it politely - not much of a draw with either, though it would be great to see Eric back in action.

Date: January 6, 2023 20:18

I'll take your word for that. I honestly couldn't name a Taylor Swift song.

Date: January 6, 2023 20:22

Me neither, but Mick probably could as he seems to be a big fan of hers.
After all, he was a special guest at one of her concerts for a duet of Satisfaction, and she guested on stage with the Stones about ten years ago (I don't recall which tune it was).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-06 20:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 6, 2023 20:27

Even now the majority of people attending a stadium Stones concert have never seen them before. Jagger knows this and points to the majority of ticket buyers who would be very disappointed not to hear "Miss You" or "Tumbling Dice." Kind of like going to Disneyworld and missing Splash Mountain. For this reason, and the band's advancing ages shortening the shows, the truncated set lists are here to stay for as long as that may be.

Please note, I said "ticket buyers" not "fans." To excite fans? A new album, obviously.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home