Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Overpriced concert tickets
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2023 00:27

Dan
BFR
24FPS
I just wish there were new groups coming up that were generating the kind of buzz you got with the Legend bands. Maybe they can squeeze the ticket buyer because of the panic that once these classic groups are gone, there aren't any more.

Not groups, but Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, Adele, Bad Bunny, Billie Eilish and other solo acts have been selling tickets at breakneck speeds for hundreds of dollars per ticket (thousands in the case of the cursed Platinum tickets) for the good seats for the past few years.

Kinda funny the poster just assumes no one is paying for anyone not The Eagles or the Stones when in reality the new bands have some of the most expensive tickets in the biz and they are selling to a fan base that doesn't have the mental baggage of cheap tickets in some distant past, never knowing a time when concerts weren't a luxury experience.

Eilish is the only one of those mentioned I would go out of the way to see. I'm satisfied with my Madonna concert footage on Live 8 from 2005. She was at her peak, and had Lisa Fischer as a backup singer. In fact I just want more vintage concert footage. Wings '76 is the best McCartney you're going to get. Any Stones DVD from '69 through '99 is good. Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon in '75. There's a Rod Stewart at the Royal Albert Hall in 2004 is great. Dylan in Rolling Thunder. These are peak performances. Only Jeff Beck was at the same intense level in his 70s, and he's gone.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 19, 2023 02:07

dmay
Didn't wade through all the responses here, but, regarding ticket prices, interestingly I came across something regarding the Stones and concert prices back in the day. I, as I occasionally do, looked up a few things regarding my hometown. Came onto this article from Baltimore Magazine regarding the renovation of the old Baltimore Civic Center. I saw many a concert there from the Beatles in 1964 to Elvis in the 1970s, to Neil, Seger, Traffic, The Band, Rod Stewart, Elton, Dylan, The Dead and others, along with basketball games, hot rod shows. etc. What struck me in the article was the price of concert tickets back then including tax. Enjoy the read.

[www.baltimoremagazine.com]

One big name that’s not mentioned in the article among those who took the stage of the Civic Center during its heyday is Cream — they played there on 3 November, 1968, the day after their MSG show and the penultimate gig of the farewell U.S. tour before Providence, RI, the following evening.

The highest ticket price was $8. Those were the days…actually quite pricy for the standards at the time.

Did you see them?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 19, 2023 07:01

Wonder when they're going to introduce Dynamic Pricing to DVD's and blu-rays! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-19 07:02 by Topi.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 07:57

Topi
Wonder when they're going to introduce Dynamic Pricing to DVD's and blu-rays! winking smiley

It’s called Japanese exclusive bonus content.

Date: January 19, 2023 10:34

Yeah, exactly!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 19, 2023 10:49

It's almost like the whole music industry thinks

" ...right, no bugger's buying the records any more

...so we'll add the cost of ten copies to every concert ticket ...that'll show 'em ! "

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 19, 2023 13:01

Topi

in some way this is already common standard – just look at amazon. Prices are changing quite often

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: January 19, 2023 13:17

Arena gig pricing in the uk has taken an interesting (upward) turn post covid and the lunacy of brexit
The shame for me is it prices out casual gig attendance of bands I may find interesting. Paramore for example - 90 gbp got a decent ticket too much for a casual fan, if this was the right side of 50 quid I may have gone for it
Still sone good examples of reasonable pricing tho - best seats for black keys later this year are 60 quid including fees (I’m going to this)

Date: January 19, 2023 14:06

slewan
Topi

in some way this is already common standard – just look at amazon. Prices are changing quite often

Dude, I know...hence the wink.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2023 14:16

24FPS
Dan
BFR
24FPS
I just wish there were new groups coming up that were generating the kind of buzz you got with the Legend bands. Maybe they can squeeze the ticket buyer because of the panic that once these classic groups are gone, there aren't any more.

Not groups, but Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, Adele, Bad Bunny, Billie Eilish and other solo acts have been selling tickets at breakneck speeds for hundreds of dollars per ticket (thousands in the case of the cursed Platinum tickets) for the good seats for the past few years.

Kinda funny the poster just assumes no one is paying for anyone not The Eagles or the Stones when in reality the new bands have some of the most expensive tickets in the biz and they are selling to a fan base that doesn't have the mental baggage of cheap tickets in some distant past, never knowing a time when concerts weren't a luxury experience.

Eilish is the only one of those mentioned I would go out of the way to see. I'm satisfied with my Madonna concert footage on Live 8 from 2005. She was at her peak, and had Lisa Fischer as a backup singer. In fact I just want more vintage concert footage. Wings '76 is the best McCartney you're going to get. Any Stones DVD from '69 through '99 is good. Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon in '75. There's a Rod Stewart at the Royal Albert Hall in 2004 is great. Dylan in Rolling Thunder. These are peak performances. Only Jeff Beck was at the same intense level in his 70s, and he's gone.

Billie Eilish tickets for the O2 in London this year started at $60 for floor tickets, and were available to her fanbase before regular sales started. It were the seats closer to the stage that were expensive with $200 average.

It absolutely ranks in my top 3 of best gigs ever.

Mathijs

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 19, 2023 14:52

Topi
slewan
Topi

Dude, I know...hence the wink.

yeah, but amazon ist still dreaming about having a monopoly for certain goods like ticketmaster, eventim etc. have

Date: January 19, 2023 15:56

I see a merger coming!

OT: Overpriced concert tickets
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 19, 2023 21:08

Zach Bryan / The Burn, Burn, Burn Tour Announcement

--

axs.com/zachbryan

[twitter.com]

Date: January 19, 2023 21:27

I've never even heard of Zach Bryan

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 19, 2023 21:53

Topi
I see a merger coming!

Amazon tried to get into tickets a few years ago but apparently couldn't find an angle.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 19, 2023 21:53

VoodooLounge13
I've never even heard of Zach Bryan

Okay everyone, let's post the bands we haven't heard of. I'll start:

Date: January 19, 2023 22:23

A real comedian there. drinking smiley

Date: January 19, 2023 22:37

Even the $10MM guarantee that our boys get pales against the $24MM that Beyonce received for her upcoming show in Dubai. Of course it also seems to be a bit of a private, exclusive event. But just shows that the sky's the limit when it comes to the prices of any artist/event at any given time.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: January 20, 2023 08:45

Topi

A little trivia: Dynamic pricing of a chain of neighborhood laundromats was the source of the first fortune made by a guy who now regularly gets to (I believe pay-to-) play guitar opening Rolling Stones stadium shows. A few not-well-off folks I'm sure had to lug their laundry home wet when the 'mats unexpectedly got busy. But, hey, some people's higher-than-expected washing and drying costs and the slight inconvenience of others' wet clothes sheets & towels ultimately brought us all, and a number of you the joys of, the 2019 - 2023 Gho$t Hound$.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 20, 2023 22:27

cyclist
SomeTorontoGirl
Just checked the Madonna Presale.

Platinum ticket, front row $6,529
TicketBastard fee $966.92
Facility Charge $4.25
Order processing Fee $7.00
Total $7,507.17

I have zero interest in Madonna, but am wondering what Stones tix will look like this time. eye popping smiley

Nosebleed tickets were around $120 after fees, which weren't as bad as I was expecting. On the other hand, I don't think this tour will sell very well, and I'm anticipating prices to drop. She's lost fans in recent years.

Looking at the tour dates, multiple cities have had second shows added, NYC had 2 more added to MSG. Don't see a second Vancouver show but the first one sold out within several minutes. There weren't many tickets available to the public when they went on sale today because of presales to fan club, Amex, etc.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2023 23:15

TheBluesHadaBaby
Topi

A little trivia: Dynamic pricing of a chain of neighborhood laundromats was the source of the first fortune made by a guy who now regularly gets to (I believe pay-to-) play guitar opening Rolling Stones stadium shows. A few not-well-off folks I'm sure had to lug their laundry home wet when the 'mats unexpectedly got busy. But, hey, some people's higher-than-expected washing and drying costs and the slight inconvenience of others' wet clothes sheets & towels ultimately brought us all, and a number of you the joys of, the 2019 - 2023 Gho$t Hound$.

It's both funny and sad how stuff like this has become something of a minor shrug. Yeah sure why wouldn't they give that a try

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 20, 2023 23:56

Nikkei
TheBluesHadaBaby
Topi

It's both funny and sad how stuff like this has become something of a minor shrug. Yeah sure why wouldn't they give that a try

If the Stones were still the exciting Stones of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, then it might be different. I'd be really pissed that I could never see the band because of ticket prices. But I figure if somebody wants to shell out hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to see what's left of them grind out the hits, more power to them.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 30, 2023 20:43

Coldplay is coming to Vancouver, first BC Place show sold out in minutes on Friday so another went on sale today. I was able to get online but prices were a bit too high for my liking. Upper bowl were $200 and up so I decided to pass.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: January 30, 2023 23:36

$200...for Iggy Pop. I am not at all saying he is not deserving, but Iggy Pop was $30 20 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-31 00:12 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 31, 2023 02:52

sdstonesguy
$200...for Iggy Pop. I am not at all saying he is not deserving, but Iggy Pop was $30 20 years ago.

That tour is extremely limited. Also, he has an all star band including Duff from G n R & Chad Smith from RHCP. The new record is really good & rocks hard. Iggy is getting up there in age. If you can afford it you should go. I saw the Stooges a few times when they reformed & the Post Pop Depression tour. Also, by himself years ago. All were amazing. Iggy has stopped stage diving but he did it longer than he should have. I'd go if he were playing Seattle. Iggy is one of my faves & is always at least interesting. The band he has for this tour should sound great on the classics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 31, 2023 03:20

The problem is that a lot of people pay for it

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 31, 2023 06:03

Jethro Tull, Santana around 1974-1976: the equivalent of 6 EUR.
Stones in 1982: if I remember correctly, lawn was ATS 220 = ca. 16 EUR. Allan Holdsworth/Chad Wackerman in a 1991 club show were the same. For comparison, Holdsworth in a club show in 2009 was 20 EUR (which I thought was very cheap).
Can't recall what I paid for Zappa in 1982 and 1984, must have been somewhere around the equivalent of 12 EUR.
Likewise not sure how much the Stones were in 1990 (lawn), I remember ATS 390 = ca. 28 EUR but I may be wrong. Still have the ticket in some drawer, I believe. Gotta check.
By far the most expensive ticket in my earlier concert days was Miles Davis in 1983: ATS 540 = ca. 40 EUR. That was more than half a month's rent back then and I really had to save up to afford the ticket.

If a ticket is in the range of a month's rent - no thanks. There's a limit to what I can afford, no matter who the artist is.

Date: January 31, 2023 07:35

It's all Bruce Springsteen's fault. winking smiley

Date: April 10, 2023 22:17

I've read that both Taylor Swift's and Beyonce's tours are each going to top the $1 BILLION mark!!!! That is absolutely insane!!! Taylor is guaranteed $10MM/show!!! Almost makes me quiver for what the next tour will cost us.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2023 02:11

Tickets recently spent, including fees (in Canadian $s so you can discount that by 35% into US).

Black Crowes $35 - Small arena
Buble $50 - large arena
Herb Alpert $108 - small theatre
Elvis Costello $72 - large theatre
Lionel Richie $67 - large arena
Doobie Bros. $68 - small arena
Rolling Stones $29 (I hope) - Stadium

True, these aren't front row tickets (well except for Herb Alpert, which was front row!), but unless you HAVE TO HAVE the best tickets, there are some big acts out there still doing great stuff.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home