Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Imagine Mick singing on "It Means A Lot" ...
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2023 19:57

VoodooLounge13
Doxa
Well, I imagine in my mind how Mick singing one to one "It Means A Lot" sounds like and it doesn't sound good..

But goods points here about Mick picking up Keith's pretty sketch-like melodies and lyrics and then sharping them up more structural and so, to fit for his mouth, and thereby making it a true Jagger/Richards colloboration.

But when I think of Mick not doing that and sticking close to the original Richards tune, I think "One More Shot" sounds like that. True that Jagger adds there some nananaanas to ice it a bit, but to me the tune itself with its short, token-like melody lines with brief-worded lyrics based on some random one-liners is pure Richards solo stuff. And it doesn't sound convincing at all. It's like Mick singing karaoke for a Keith solo tune, not even trying to transform it to fit his mouth and persona.

- Doxa

Now see I actually like One More Shot quite a lot. I know D&G seems to get all the raves around here, but I think OMS is the superior tune!! It's easily one of my all-time favorite Stones songs.

That's good for you! It's not a bad track at all, but I am always critical for Jagger's performances. If he doesn't sound convincing, it takes a lot out of the greatness of a Stones track. A part of the reason is that I pay a lot of attention to melody, vocal delivery and lyrics of a song. That's why I never been that big fan of Keith's solo stuff, although sometimes his unique, free-going method brings up some truely enjoyable results. But for me a whole album or a show of that goes beyond my stamina. So I think Stones context is the one in which Keith's stuff is best served, adding a suitable variance and contrast to a Jagger show.

- Doxa

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 5, 2023 20:38

U2Stonesfan
I thought 20 Nil sounds like Mick singing a Keith tune.

[m.youtube.com]

Could be Mick singing a Mick tune. Keith is playing lead there, which means Mick is probably playing rhythm guitar.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 5, 2023 21:06

Doxa
VoodooLounge13
Doxa
Well, I imagine in my mind how Mick singing one to one "It Means A Lot" sounds like and it doesn't sound good..

But goods points here about Mick picking up Keith's pretty sketch-like melodies and lyrics and then sharping them up more structural and so, to fit for his mouth, and thereby making it a true Jagger/Richards colloboration.

But when I think of Mick not doing that and sticking close to the original Richards tune, I think "One More Shot" sounds like that. True that Jagger adds there some nananaanas to ice it a bit, but to me the tune itself with its short, token-like melody lines with brief-worded lyrics based on some random one-liners is pure Richards solo stuff. And it doesn't sound convincing at all. It's like Mick singing karaoke for a Keith solo tune, not even trying to transform it to fit his mouth and persona.

- Doxa

Now see I actually like One More Shot quite a lot. I know D&G seems to get all the raves around here, but I think OMS is the superior tune!! It's easily one of my all-time favorite Stones songs.

That's good for you! It's not a bad track at all, but I am always critical for Jagger's performances. If he doesn't sound convincing, it takes a lot out of the greatness of a Stones track. A part of the reason is that I pay a lot of attention to melody, vocal delivery and lyrics of a song. That's why I never been that big fan of Keith's solo stuff, although sometimes his unique, free-going method brings up some truely enjoyable results. But for me a whole album or a show of that goes beyond my stamina. So I think Stones context is the one in which Keith's stuff is best served, adding a suitable variance and contrast to a Jagger show.

- Doxa

I understand what you're saying, Doxa. I often find Mick's latter-day vocal performances a bit over the top, as if he's trying too hard. The rhyme schemes aren't always the best, and his over-enunciating. He's best when he's just relaxed and goes with the flow. The songs I think are better too.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home