Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Collectors Beware - eBay Seller
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:46

This guys repeatedly sells what appear to be "re-seals" or sealed LPs the date of which none can verify with promo stickers like the one seen here. Many among us active collectors repeatedly see people pay outrageous prices for what many of us think are fakes, hoaxes, and/or misrepresentations. 15-20 years ago when eBay was different and actually policed, stone-relics and I used to go after people who took stickers off one LP and slapped them on LPs like this. I know it is possible that this could be genuine, but in 50+ years collecting, nobody, and I mean nobody has so many sealed 60s British Invasion LPs like does this guy.

eBay listing - Beggars Banquet US "Promo" (?????) LP

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Collectors Beware - eBay Seller
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:53

It does look sketchy, but the guy has 25000+ ratings and is sitting at 100% so that's a tough one.

Easy for me...I'm not spending $2400 on a sealed copy of anything.

Date: January 3, 2023 03:37

treaclefingers
It does look sketchy, but the guy has 25000+ ratings and is sitting at 100% so that's a tough one.

It might all be in the up-and-up, but look at the guy's past sales. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY gets that many sealed LPs.........

Happy 2023 to you, Treacle. Don't forget our email exchange of last Summer/Fall.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 3, 2023 04:52

Does anyone know the highest price paid for a Stones memorabilia item? Matt Lee are you there? And any idea what bring that high of a price?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 3, 2023 08:21

$2500!eye popping smiley

no thank you

i mean i got a original sealed canadian copy of the performance soundtrack for $40 last year and thought that was fair

this is just plain robbery

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 3, 2023 08:30

This guy has nearly the entire Stones catalog listed as individual Sealed Vinyl LPs. Look at the other Stones items/albums he is selling. Highly doubtful.

plexi

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: January 3, 2023 12:27

I live in the UK.
All through the 1960s I bought each Stones album at the time of release (all UK versions) from my local record shop and none of them were ever "factory sealed".

The LPs were in racks so that you could look through them and read the covers but when you bought one it came from fresh stock held behind the counter on racks and was mint condition. It was then put in a paper bag to carry home.

Maybe my local record shop removed all the "factory sealed" coverings.....but would they really bother if it protected the LP....I doubt that.

As I am now over 70 it would be interesting to hear from others who also bought in the UK in the 1960s...........did they buy "factory sealed" ?????

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2023 12:41

That's right . back then [certainly in the UK] there was no such thing as a sealed LP . It's actually quite a recent thing.

Never really given it any thought and I'm relying on personal memory ...but I certainly can't remember any vinyl LPs sealed in cellophane before the late 80s .

[Most record shops in the 60s and 70's would put the outer sleeves in the racks and store the records on shelves behind the counter. You took the sleeve to counter and they'd put the record in when you bought it. The price was often penciled on he paper inner sleeves too grinning smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-03 14:44 by Spud.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 3, 2023 17:15

interesting they still do something similar with used dvd/blu rays/cd's and video games at some stores here in the us

i do wonder when they started sealing them in plastic in the us?

i have some records from the early 60's that still have some plastic on them and some from the 50's with the remains of a paper sticker that seams to have been used to seal the record in

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: January 3, 2023 17:48

Thank you Spud !
I thought I might have got it wrong but yes they did indeed put the record into the sleeve when it was bought.
I listened to the complete Beggars Banquet LP in the listening booth on the day of release in my lunch break and was then late back to work. At the end of the day I rushed home on my Lambretta and played it again all evening. It was a revelation after all the waiting with the delayed release after TSMR.
Every time I hear BB it takes me right back............enough.

Date: January 3, 2023 17:53

Spud
That's right . back then [certainly in the UK] there was no such thing as a sealed LP . It's actually quite a recent thing.

Never really given it any thought and I'm relying on personal memory ...but I certainly can't remember any vinyl LPs sealed in cellophane before the late 80s .

[Most record shops in the 60s and 70's would put the outer sleeves in the racks and store the records on shelves behind the counter. You took the sleeve to counter and they'd put the record in when you bought it. The price was often penciled on he paper inner sleeves too grinning smiley ]

That is also my understanding...UK 1960s-not sealed

Date: January 3, 2023 20:10

stonesstein
treaclefingers

It might all be in the up-and-up, but look at the guy's past sales. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY gets that many sealed LPs.........

Happy 2023 to you, Treacle. Don't forget our email exchange of last Summer/Fall.

YES, happy 2023! And I haven't forgotten...it's not you...it's ME!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 3, 2023 22:50

Kingbeebuzz
I live in the UK.
All through the 1960s I bought each Stones album at the time of release (all UK versions) from my local record shop and none of them were ever "factory sealed".

The LPs were in racks so that you could look through them and read the covers but when you bought one it came from fresh stock held behind the counter on racks and was mint condition. It was then put in a paper bag to carry home.

Maybe my local record shop removed all the "factory sealed" coverings.....but would they really bother if it protected the LP....I doubt that.

As I am now over 70 it would be interesting to hear from others who also bought in the UK in the 1960s...........did they buy "factory sealed" ?????

Similar age and similar background so I can say....Spot on (as is Kingbee).

If a vendor claims to have an "original" UK 1960's sealed album, then it's a fraud and should be called out.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 3, 2023 22:59

So this one I have sealed:

[www.discogs.com]

But it CLEARLY is a re-issue. In Discogs it says, "Released approximately in early 1980s, probably in 1981."

I find it mildly amusing that an issue like this cannot even with certainty list a rerelease date. I mean this was the 80s already!

Posted by: BolinFan ()
Date: January 4, 2023 03:04

In college, I worked at a record store from 1977 until 1980. I remember getting English import records were not sealed. Maybe some were, but most were not.

Date: January 4, 2023 04:57

timbernardis
This guy has nearly the entire Stones catalog listed as individual Sealed Vinyl LPs. Look at the other Stones items/albums he is selling. Highly doubtful.
plexi

My thoughts exactly.

I have never seen someone so "lucky" to have found so many vintage, expensive "sealed" LPs. There's another guy from Oak Park, IL who also sells these, but no one is saying anything, and eBay could care less.

INFURIATING!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 07:37

I’ve had several Stones London (U.S.) sealed promos . About half of them had the shrink wrap carefully torn away in a semi circle and the sticker affixed in the exposed area. The 1st LP through “Satanic” sometimes had a sticker that DID NOT mention the “London” label. This, I believe, is the earliest iteration of the sticker. Of course, all the copies had the requisite tight, even shrink wrap with a pair of tiny 1/16 diameter “breathe holes”, vertically aligned, on the front and the back. Off subject: I still remember buying unwrapped Beatles VeeJay albums in a musical instrument shop, whereas Sears and a few others would put them in baggies.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 4, 2023 08:37

Kingbeebuzz
I live in the UK.

I had the same experience buying new Stones albums in the 60s, and none of them were sealed. But my father brought me home from a business trip a US copy of Let It Bleed, and I'm pretty sure that WAS sealed.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 12:55

My local record shop in Perth Western Australia used to seal albums themselves at buyers request.

Rod

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 15:41

What you all have written is true.
Still, I wonder where does one seller find strong M/M copies with correct inner sleeves so that his sales can stand the opening of sealed copy? I mean, one can’t seal used copies…
I remember that in my hometown long ago there where a few warehouses were thousands of old albums were stocked and for sale. The mist of them were still sealed.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 4, 2023 15:48

Aquamarine
Kingbeebuzz
I live in the UK.

I had the same experience buying new Stones albums in the 60s, and none of them were sealed. But my father brought me home from a business trip a US copy of Let It Bleed, and I'm pretty sure that WAS sealed.
I even remember the racks with the Lps in them behind the counter from the early 80s in Groningen
The first i bought sealed was dirty work.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 4, 2023 15:57

For what it's worth, promo albums were rarely sealed.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 16:21

Aquamarine
Kingbeebuzz
I live in the UK.

Correct: it’s the reason why the most of US LIB miss the brown sticker. It was placed on the shrink.

Date: January 4, 2023 16:38

...and here's another BB promo copy, with sticker, though a different sticker:

[www.ebay.com]

and this of course not sealed.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: January 5, 2023 10:33

CaptainCorella
Kingbeebuzz
I live in the UK.

Similar age and similar background so I can say....Spot on (as is Kingbee).

If a vendor claims to have an "original" UK 1960's sealed album, then it's a fraud and should be called out.

I agree with everything that has been said. I don’t remember buying any albums in the 60s in UK which were sealed. However, I do recall going to record fairs in the 80s and seeing small machines for sealing albums behind some dealers’ stands. Whether they used this to protect their stock from damage or to try to give added value to an album, I cannot say.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 5, 2023 14:39

bitusa2012
My local record shop in Perth Western Australia used to seal albums themselves at buyers request.

This is what I recall also from Austria.

I bought my 1st LP in 1972, and I don't remember having seen sealed LPs in record shops before the 80s (exception: the Floyd's Wish You Were Here). Record shops had the LPs in racks, and if you decided to buy one of the ones you had listened to (try before you buy) you got right that copy. Any LP you bought may have been checked out by other people before. A few shops then put the albums in the racks in somewhat thicker plastic sleeves to protect the covers. Of course these protective covers were open on one side so that you could check out what's inside a gatefold, or the guy behind the counter could take them out easily when someone wanted to listen. Also, these protective sleeves usually stayed at the shop when you bought an LP.

A few times I got an LP from some mail order service but they had never been sealed either.

A few times I was also present when a shop received a shipment of LPs. They came in cardboard boxes but the LPs inside those boxes weren't sealed either. So not even the shops themselves received the records in sealed condition.

In my areas, LPs in shops began to be sealed in cellophane in the early 80s. The sealing was cut open of course when someone wanted to listen to a particular LP. So you found LPs in the racks that were completely sealed as well as ones where the seal was cut open. If you wanted to give one as a present, the shop guy simply sealed it anew right in the shop. Same procedure as reported by bitusa2012 from Perth.

So, if someone would try to sell me a first German or Austrian pressing of some LP from the early 70s claiming it still had the factory sealing, I simply wouldn't believe the guy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2023 14:51

Can anybody recall exactly when the Decca album covers stopped having the little hole in the corner to identify the Mono or Stereo contents by the red or blue patches on the inner sleeve ?

It was probably around 1970.

[When I toyed with the idea of having tag line, it was going to be

... "Laminated with Clarifoil " grinning smiley

Date: January 5, 2023 14:58

I worked in, what was then, the second largest record outlet in London after HMV Oxford Street in 1977/78 and many if not the majority of albums were delivered 'unsealed'. There was a machine in the stockroom which would neatly shrink seal them, without melting the vinyl of course, and they would then be put out on the racks. On the occasions when albums were returned for exchange or refund, we would simply re-seal them..........assuming they were still in pristine condition of course!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 19, 2023 20:05

In the mid 70’s I worked part time in a record store. All of the above is correct here too. I had vinyl in sleeves behind the counter, the album cover, in a plastic sleeve was in the store. When a customer bought up the cover, I would collect the vinyl and check the condition of both sides in front of the purchaser, and then slide it , in its protective sleeve, into the cover. The first sealed albums I bought were bootlegs.

Date: January 19, 2023 21:44

There are tons of fake stuff on ebay.

One seller is trying to sell backstage passes that are clearly fake. Not even good quality reproductions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home