Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Gangsta Boo
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 2, 2023 23:26

Rapper in Three 6 Mafia dead at 43 :-(

[pitchfork.com]

Re: OT: RIP Gangsta Boo
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2023 01:59

I only know of rappers when they get shot. That's the only fame I know them for.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:14

Interesting name...

RIP Gangsta Boo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-03 02:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:42

RIP. Groundbreaking rap artists. Memphis pride.

Date: January 3, 2023 04:57

'Groundbreaking rap artists'. Huh? Rap all sounds the same to me. (And Keith too). What new ground are they breaking? The subject matter is always the same. The sound is basically Mary Had A Little Lamb (according to Keith, and I agree). I guess they have to be called artists because they're not musicians. I can't believe it's still around. It seemed like it peaked with Grandmaster Flash in the early 80s. Even rock died eventually, and it was a hell of a lot better than rap.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 3, 2023 05:07

24FPS
'Groundbreaking rap artists'. Huh? Rap all sounds the same to me. (And Keith too). What new ground are they breaking? The subject matter is always the same. The sound is basically Mary Had A Little Lamb (according to Keith, and I agree). I guess they have to be called artists because they're not musicians. I can't believe it's still around. It seemed like it peaked with Grandmaster Flash in the early 80s. Even rock died eventually, and it was a hell of a lot better than rap.

All the same? Rap with a Satanic element clearly isn’t the norm. You don’t have to like rap (and I don’t, for the most part), but they were different. 666 stood out in 90s rap.

P.S. Keith doesn’t care what you think either.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 3, 2023 05:43

NashvilleBlues
24FPS

All the same? Rap with a Satanic element clearly isn’t the norm. You don’t have to like rap (and I don’t, for the most part), but they were different. 666 stood out in 90s rap.

Interesting, never really thought about what their name represented.

Like someone else above noted, the names are interesting; just read the TMZ website sometime, it seems some rapper with a funny name is in every other headline.

I had a brief interaction with Three 6 Mafia one time, was down in Memphis having drinks in a nice hotel bar and some of the members were in there too. I had a BB King shirt on that said "Nobody loves me but my mother" on the front, with "and she could be jivin' too" on the back. They thought that was hilarious, laughing and pointing, telling their friends to read both sides.

The funniest part of the evening didn't involve me, a younger fan came in, saw them, wanting to hang out with them, said he'd buy a round of drinks, they all ordered something obviously he wasn't familiar with and apparently quite expensive. When the bill came, he tried making a break for it, one of them caught him, led him back into the bar, his eyes were as big as saucers, started harrassing him wbout trying to run out on the bill. He just looked terrified. Then they all started laughing, said they were just messing with him, they got the tab, he can hang out all he likes.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 3, 2023 07:51

NashvilleBlues
24FPS

i don't care for rap at all and generally agree with keith on the matter (about heavy metal too)

but it's a genre that's been around for half a century at this point

generations have grown up with it being there music

clearly the majority thinks it has artistic merit

and about it all sounding the same i mean i hear young people say the same thing about the blues and rock music and think there nuts

plus is it perhaps not in poor taste to come to a thread honoring a woman who just died way to young and attack her art?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-03 07:56 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: January 3, 2023 09:27

ProfessorWolf
NashvilleBlues
24FPS

i don't care for rap at all and generally agree with keith on the matter (about heavy metal too)

and about it all sounding the same i mean i hear young people say the same thing about the blues and rock music and think there nuts

plus is it perhaps not in poor taste to come to a thread honoring a woman who just died way to young and attack her art?

Had no idea 'Gangsta Boo' was a female. Of course that's not supposed to matter anymore. They can say rock sounds all the same but there's a big difference between A Day In The Life and Jailhouse Rock. I didn't know this thread was honoring Gangsta Boo. Then she must have accomplished something worth honoring. I assume.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2023 09:29

Rest in Peace, Gangsta Boo

I, admittedly, had not heard of her. My knowledge of hip-hop is limited to the absolute mainstream artists and acts from the 1990’s and early 2000’s: N.W.A., Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., 50 Cent, and so forth. Some of their music I appreciate; in fact, around a decade ago, I went through a phase of listening to 2Pac and N.W.A.’s ‘Straight Outta Compton’ a fair bit. I can’t see myself listening again anytime soon, however. Mind you, you never know.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 3, 2023 11:21

WorriedAboutYou
Rapper in Three 6 Mafia dead at 43 :-(

A rapper dead at 43?
That's like dying at 135 for normal people... A very old age indeed.

Date: January 3, 2023 11:27

ProfessorWolf
it's a genre that's been around for half a century at this point

It must be said that the genre evolved quite a lot over the years :

In the 70's the pioneers like Grand Master Flash were an offspring of disco : strong bass lines and tunes you could dance to.
Today rap music is just bad pop with robotic beats. Hence its massive success : it's just pop with bad melodies and abysal lyrics.

In between these two trends the 80's gave us REAL rap with the unsurpassed masters of the genre : Public Enemy.
I still get a big kick out of "She Watch Channel Zero". smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 3, 2023 11:33

dcba
ProfessorWolf

In the 70's the pioneers like Grand Master Flash were an offspring of disco : strong bass lines and tunes you could dance to.
Today rap music is just bad pop with robotic beats. Hence its massive success : it's just pop with bad melodies and abysal lyrics.

In between these two trends the 80's gave us REAL rap with the unsurpassed masters of the genre : Public Enemy.

Jazz has been around for 100 years, but I'm not keen on that either.

I also don't get the daft names (yeah, I know that Bill Wyman and Ringo Starr are fake names too, but...).

I'm very sorry to hear about her demise though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-03 11:37 by Congratulations.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2023 11:43

dcba
ProfessorWolf

Yes, the genre has certainly evolved a lot, especially taking into account all the sub-genres that exist, also: G-funk, etc. Some hip-hop is really quite melodious; some definitely not.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 3, 2023 21:32

People that say all rap sounds the same haven't really listened. But they sure love to talk

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 4, 2023 00:52

Hound Dog
People that say all rap sounds the same haven't really listened. But they sure love to talk

[www.youtube.com]

Of course that's not rap, that's hip hop, which I really like a lot of hip hop, including the Roots. The songs starts out like Anybody Seen My Baby. (Which had kind of a laughable rap in it that they didn't even bother to try and duplicate on stage.)

And yes I have listened, especially to Kendrick Lamar, who was supposed to be all that. I just thought he sounded like another rapper I vaguely remember.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 12:30

24FPS
Hound Dog

[www.youtube.com]

Of course that's not rap, that's hip hop, which I really like a lot of hip hop, including the Roots. The songs starts out like Anybody Seen My Baby. (Which had kind of a laughable rap in it that they didn't even bother to try and duplicate on stage.)

And yes I have listened, especially to Kendrick Lamar, who was supposed to be all that. I just thought he sounded like another rapper I vaguely remember.

Of course it's rap. Rap is a "singing" style while Hip Hop is the name of the music genre and the whole culture.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2023 14:32

24FPS
[The songs starts out like Anybody Seen My Baby. (Which had kind of a laughable rap in it that they didn't even bother to try and duplicate on stage.)

I recall Mick and Bernard doing that rap part on stage. And it sounded good and fitting.

- Doxa

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 4, 2023 22:29

24FPS

I approve this message.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 4, 2023 22:31

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
NashvilleBlues
24FPS

Had no idea 'Gangsta Boo' was a female. Of course that's not supposed to matter anymore. They can say rock sounds all the same but there's a big difference between A Day In The Life and Jailhouse Rock. I didn't know this thread was honoring Gangsta Boo. Then she must have accomplished something worth honoring. I assume.

Keith says, "Gangsta Boo, never heard of him".

Date: January 4, 2023 23:27

Elmo Lewis
24FPS

I approve this message.

I think the main problem with rap is it doesn't "cut it" live.
The artists have to rely on pre-recorded tapes so making a rap song come alive onstage is impossible. It's just the studio version with live vocals.

As much as I respect Public Enemy the few live tapes of them I heard were pitiful. Interestingly the sole P.E. song that kicked ass in a live setting was "Bring The Noise" when they played it with the metal band Anthrax.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 4, 2023 23:37

dcba
Elmo Lewis
24FPS

I approve this message.

I think the main problem with rap is it doesn't "cut it" live.
The artists have to rely on pre-recorded tapes so making a rap song come alive onstage is impossible. It's just the studio version with live vocals.

As much as I respect Public Enemy the few live tapes of them I heard were pitiful. Interestingly the sole P.E. song that kicked ass in a live setting was "Bring The Noise" when they played it with the metal band Anthrax.

yeah this does suckwinking smiley

(but i do sorta agree with you)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-04 23:39 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 5, 2023 00:14

Doxa
24FPS
[The songs starts out like Anybody Seen My Baby. (Which had kind of a laughable rap in it that they didn't even bother to try and duplicate on stage.)

I recall Mick and Bernard doing that rap part on stage. And it sounded good and fitting.

- Doxa

Yes, it worked well. And didn't 'Fingerprint File' way back in '75 have a sort of rap bit in it?

Date: January 5, 2023 23:31

Congratulations
Doxa
24FPS

- Doxa

Yes, it worked well. And didn't 'Fingerprint File' way back in '75 have a sort of rap bit in it?

Yeah, Fingerprint File had a little rap. The only time I saw them do ASBB live, '97 in Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, their bassist couldn't handle the bass line and it fell apart. (Yes, I know another musician, Jamie Muhoberac played bass on the studio recording).

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 6, 2023 00:14

24FPS

That’s a sample of One Two by Biz Markie.
Probably the only time they ever used a sample.

Date: January 6, 2023 00:23

Hiphop live shows are an experience, a party if you will.
It shouldn’t be judged like other music. Got nothing to do with live instrumentation. Although some acts perform with a band, the essence is a turntable (computer) and a microphone.

I witnessed some fantastic shows over the years: Public Enemy, Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, De la soul, …

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 6, 2023 01:29

BowieStone
It shouldn’t be judged like other music. Got nothing to do with live instrumentation. Although some acts perform with a band, the essence is a turntable (computer) and a microphone.

I witnessed some fantastic shows over the years: Public Enemy, Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, De la soul, …

Ye West had a wild show where he was alone on a stage suspended above the crowd. Just him on it & it moved around. I don't know if he had a band or DJ on a more stable stage.

Date: January 6, 2023 08:38

crholmstrom
BowieStone

Ye West had a wild show where he was alone on a stage suspended above the crowd. Just him on it & it moved around. I don't know if he had a band or DJ on a more stable stage.

His Glastonbury gig? That was amazing.

I saw him live twice. Not very good. A hip hop gig should be exciting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-06 08:39 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 6, 2023 08:41

24FPS

Not to my grandma, Grandpa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home