Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Partly OT: Mini LPs and The Imperial Phase
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: December 31, 2022 16:34

Stones content in both pieces I have in the new edition of Record Collector magazine (January 2023)

[onlyrockandroll.london]

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Happy New Year to all!

Simon

Re: Partly OT: Mini LPs and The Imperial Phase
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2022 17:59

Interesting reads Simon, thanks for sharing. I have the Goats 'little LP', albeit without sleeve sadly.

Regarding 'Imperial Phase' I think that's perhaps easier to identify in the rearview mirror than in the moment.

How do you tell the Stones to quit after the release of Aftermath or Between The Buttons, after that almost unparalleled release of mid-60s singles?

They come up with Their Satanic Majesties and the reaction should be, "OK, clearly time to call it a day!"?

Or let's say we use your argument and the towel is thrown in after Exile - which remember was panned 'in the moment'.

So we don't get the much loved Some Girls through Tattoo You (Undercover for me) period...another new plateau.

I'd argue that the 3 (or 4/5 year rule), while not wrong has some notable exceptions with a few unique and intergenerational artists as you even identified with the Flamin' Groovies, and it's easier to identify, and in fact only possible to identify in the context of history and not in the moment.

That said, I understand it was a fun analysis and largely true...thanks and happy new year!

Re: Partly OT: Mini LPs and The Imperial Phase
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 1, 2023 16:26

Yes, you are right, my letter was slightly tongue-in-cheek

Luke's definition of Imperial Phase was the run of records where every track is a classic - the band can do no wrong

This applies to the Classic Four LPs (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS) but not (say) to Emotional Rescue - some good tracks, some less than stunning

I also have a theory that the great bands of the 60s (Who, Kinks, Yardbirds, Small Faces) did not transition well to the 70s. Of course the Stones are the exception that proves the rule...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home