Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: European Steel Wheels shows
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 20, 2022 17:33

MelBelli
Extended clip of SMU from Hannover, 1990, pro shot by German TV.

[youtu.be]

Judging from camera angles and positioning, it looks like this was the source of the IORR clip, posted above, that was broadcast on the International Music Awards?

Nope. The clothes are different!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 20, 2022 17:36

But they played two nights in Hannover, so … confused smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2022 05:39

RisingStone
GasLightStreet
Pittsburgh...

Mixed Emotions, the MTV broadcast?

Whatever.

One of the best moments in... it's very simple...

4:32. Ronnie does some Ronnie riffing. Mick responds.

Is this really Pittsburgh? One of the YouTube comments sez, ‘This isn't really "via satellite" because it was taped 2 nights earlier in Toronto. The Stones were playing the night of these awards in Pittsburgh but I guess they decided not to show them live.’

Yep. Sorry. Forgot about that.

890906B 6th September: US TV (MTV) ‘MTV Video Music Awards’, incl.
- MJ presents an award to Living Colour (backstage, Pittsburgh 6.9.89)
- Dead Flowers (MJ/KR) -Toronto 3.9.89, part only
- One Hit (MJ/KR) -Toronto 3.9.89, part only
- Mixed Emotions (MJ/KR) -Toronto 3.9.89

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 21, 2022 06:56

So the Toronto footage is from the 3rd, first night. That was three days before the Pittsburg show, not “taped two nights earlier” as pointed out in the YouTube comment.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 21, 2022 07:59

deardoctortake1
Don't forget, much of the IMAX film At The Max was filmed after in a sound studio where they recreated the stage and even Keith s sweat.
They didn't have enough film at the real shows to finish the production.

That's the first time I hear about sound studio footage. I knew they shoot footage in an empty stadium the day after the Turin concert. I even think I saw a documentary about this. But I think this was only used for Close Up shoots because the cameras were so huge. You can see the crowd in many scenes and I honestly think that 95% of what you see comes from London, Turin and Berlin although the footage doesn't always match the audio.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 21, 2022 11:41

hockenheim95

although the footage doesn't always match the audio.

...and that is in part because they overdubbed an awful lot of the film later on.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 21, 2022 12:09

CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

...and that is in part because they overdubbed an awful lot of the film later on.

I don't think so. I think it's more because you hear the audio from one concert but they show footage from different concerts. They show many crowd shots and you can clearly see that you sometimes see Wembley, the Turin stadium and the open field in one single song. For me that's no indication for overdubs.

Look at Start Me Up! [m.youtube.com]

At 0:30 you can see the footage of an open field (Berlin) while at 0:40 you see Wembley. In the audio you hear Charlie changing to the ride cymbal earlier than he does in the Video. It's not because it's overdubbed. It is because the audio is from Turin and the video from Wembley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-21 12:20 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 21, 2022 12:15

Rolling Stones - Making of Live at the Max - (3 parts):

[www.YouTube.com] , [www.YouTube.com] , [www.YouTube.com]

Date: December 22, 2022 01:39

hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

I don't think so. I think it's more because you hear the audio from one concert but they show footage from different concerts. They show many crowd shots and you can clearly see that you sometimes see Wembley, the Turin stadium and the open field in one single song. For me that's no indication for overdubs.

OK. Synching the source of the audio with the source of the video may have gone wrong.

But they did do overdubs. How can I be so certain? One of them told me.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 22, 2022 07:56

CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

OK. Synching the source of the audio with the source of the video may have gone wrong.

What do you mean by overdubs? Audio overdubs? I think they're quite obvious on Flashpoint but if there would be some on At The Max they're more subtile. Don't get me wrong. I will not say there are no overdubs on that movie but I don't think there are obvious ones and I personally believe there are none.

Date: December 22, 2022 08:23

hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

What do you mean by overdubs? Audio overdubs? I think they're quite obvious on Flashpoint but if there would be some on At The Max they're more subtile. Don't get me wrong. I will not say there are no overdubs on that movie but I don't think there are obvious ones and I personally believe there are none.

Suit yourself. :-)

You don't "believe" that there are any, but a band member told me (at some length) all about the overdubbing sessions. I know where my opinion falls.

Long Live The Internet!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 22, 2022 08:33

CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

You don't "believe" that there are any, but a band member told me (at some length) all about the overdubbing sessions. I know where my opinion falls.

Long Live The Internet!

Can you tell us if whole songs were re-recorded in the Studio or just some vocals? Guitars? Which Songs? Do you have examples for overdubs?

Btw Zentgraf doesn't list any overdubs for at the max besides the known shots in the empty Turin stadium.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 22, 2022 09:32

Nankstone
I was on 13.8.1990 to my 1st Rolling Stones concert ever in East-Berlin.
For me as an East German it was a very special experience because it was exactly the day the Wall was built and now the Stones came on this historic date - an overwhelming event for me, with many emotions .... truly mixed emotions winking smiley
I think the great Steel Wheels stage was only used in Turin and East Berlin, not in London or at any other place.

I'll look in my documents and write something more detailed about the concert at the weekend.

Wow! Now that's one heck of a way to be welcomed into the Western World again... Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones. What a moment

Date: December 24, 2022 05:49

hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

Look at Start Me Up! [m.youtube.com]

At 0:30 you can see the footage of an open field (Berlin) while at 0:40 you see Wembley. In the audio you hear Charlie changing to the ride cymbal earlier than he does in the Video. It's not because it's overdubbed. It is because the audio is from Turin and the video from Wembley

Aka bad editing. But they did have a lot of issues with the cameras so perhaps it was just whatever footage worked.

Date: December 24, 2022 05:55

hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

Long Live The Internet!

Can you tell us if whole songs were re-recorded in the Studio or just some vocals? Guitars? Which Songs? Do you have examples for overdubs?

Btw Zentgraf doesn't list any overdubs for at the max besides the known shots in the empty Turin stadium.

Overdubbed.

In this case, the filmed without an audience. Watch Honky Tonk Women - Keith misses the first lick flam in the intro - he waves his left hand in the air - and then the lickage just before the vocal starts - because they're miming to the recording ie overdubbing and somehow Keith has no clue as to what he played even though it's been the same for the entire tour.

Mick in Ruby Tuesday about 8 miles from the microphone...

Date: December 24, 2022 09:06

GasLightStreet
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95
CaptainCorella
hockenheim95

Long Live The Internet!

Overdubbed.

In this case, the filmed without an audience. Watch Honky Tonk Women - Keith misses the first lick flam in the intro - he waves his left hand in the air - and then the lickage just before the vocal starts - because they're miming to the recording ie overdubbing and somehow Keith has no clue as to what he played even though it's been the same for the entire tour.

Mick in Ruby Tuesday about 8 miles from the microphone...

Yes, that's the scenes shot in an empty stadium in Turin. We talked about them earlier in this thread. But that's some obvious scenes Well documented in the documentary that you find in this thread.

CaptainCorella talked about an "awful lot" that was overdubbed "later on" that a band member talked about to him. I wanted to know more what He meant with that.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home