Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Stromae
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2022 09:29

My goddaughter introduced me to this European singer. He seems like a Belgian Bowie. Kind of all over the place sound wise. And I'm pretty sure he's singing in French, but seems infused with another language. Flemish, perhaps? Anyway it's the first new artist I've had some interest in. I've just skimmed the surface. Is anyone out there a fan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-10 13:38 by bv.

Re: OT: Stromae
Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: December 10, 2022 13:45

He is singing in French; mostly in the Brussels 'patois' version...
Not sure (don't think so) whether he adds Flemish to his lyrics. Due to his Congolese roots, it's possible that he infuses them with some Affrican words or pronounciation though.

I'm familiar with Stromae; not a big fan - though I aknowledge & respect his profound artisticity.

"Belgian Bowie" is not one I heard before, but I admit it does 'cover' it quite a bit.
"The Jacques Brel of the 21st Century" is the one that is mostly used by Belgian fans & critics...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 10, 2022 14:20

I like him. He played Pinkpop in 2014 two days after the Stones played there. It was a great show. But I wouldn't call him "new". His biggest Hits are over 10 years old. The Stones were not a new act in 1975 either.

Re: Stromae
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 10, 2022 14:47

Seems like you've been living in a cave. Here in the Netherlands he's all over the radio. Several big hits. But haven't heard any of his records.
pitchfork liked his record though

Re: Stromae
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2022 21:27

Whale
Seems like you've been living in a cave. Here in the Netherlands he's all over the radio. Several big hits. But haven't heard any of his records.
pitchfork liked his record though

Better late than never. Especially if there's something there. And being all over the radio in the Netherlands can mean nothing when crossing the Atlantic. (By the way, I love the Netherlands). When I was there in 2007 a song called 'Destination Unknown' was pumping out of every stereo system in every store. This great song never really made an impact in the states, though years later I would occasionally hear it in the background at a sporting event.

Date: December 11, 2022 08:52

Saw him i think in 2014 and will see him next year in belgium in june

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home