Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Guns N Roses stuff
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 24, 2023 20:09

stonesstein
Dan
Personally I think Locomotive is up there with Achilles Last Stand or Funeral For A Friend as one of the all time great epics but they don't pull it out too much.

I agree that Locomotive is in that category, though I am of the opinion that Achilles' Last Stand from Presence is both Zeppelin's and Jimmy Page's and Bonzo's finest moment(s), so, initially, the reference gave me pause. Still, I like Dan's reference and it makes me want to pull out my old GNR UYI II and spin it.

Yep. There is a fair bit of filler on the Illusions, but some real gems, too. I tried to combine the two Illusions into a full length CD (>80 minutes), and couldn't do it. The weak songs are very bad, but there are at least 80 minutes of very good stuff there.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 24, 2023 21:41

Tickets on sale today - I just looked online at ticketmaster for Vancouver show, there are a S*&$Load of seats still available guessing day of the show will be super cheap and an easy ticket...

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 24, 2023 23:20

umakmehrd
Tickets on sale today - I just looked online at ticketmaster for Vancouver show, there are a S*&$Load of seats still available guessing day of the show will be super cheap and an easy ticket...

That’s my plan of attack, I’ll pick tickets up the day of or days before the gig.
I’ve seen them enough to not care where I am in the stadium. Axl’s voice is not worth more than $100 right now.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 25, 2023 01:14

Paddy
umakmehrd

That’s my plan of attack, I’ll pick tickets up the day of or days before the gig.
I’ve seen them enough to not care where I am in the stadium. Axl’s voice is not worth more than $100 right now.

I don't think they even sold 10000 tickets! Also, today Pink tickets went on sale to general public for her 2 Vancouver shows as well as Springsteen this week. Lots of options for expensive tickets!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 25, 2023 04:05

I’d like to catch P!nk. Think she’d be a good show but no one wants to go and I just don’t feel like going alone to that one.

Date: February 25, 2023 05:15

VoodooLounge13
I’d like to catch P!nk. Think she’d be a good show but no one wants to go and I just don’t feel like going alone to that one.

One of the best concerts I've ever seen, saw her in 2018 and 2019. Only knew a few of her songs but awesome show, high energy and great stage. I will pay to see her anytime she comes to town. Go by yourself!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 25, 2023 11:48

dcba
Paddy
only GnR could have written Estranged.

Slash's finest hour? The melody lines he brought to Axl's chords are simply exquisite. He really grew between AFD and UYI and he brought so much to the 1991 sessions that it was natural that he took control of the band.
As much as I like Izzy his imput on the UYI albums was minimal.

Izzy is all over the Illusion albums, the proof is always in the live shows.
I saw the 4th show of the Use your Illusion tour and it was in-fckng-sane.
The albums hadn’t been released yet and they were playing a load of songs from them.
It almost felt like we we were getting away with something, hearing this music before anyone else.
Everyone had a bootleg of November Rain and the crowd laughed when Axl said “we’re gonna play this, I know you mthrfckrs have been listening to it for two years.”

Izzy did Dust and Bones and I was thinking this guy is Keith 2.0, he’s got the look and the vibe but the cat isn’t a poser, he’s the real deal.he was singing with Axl and playing his ass off.one of the best singer-songwriter guitar players I’ve ever seen.

Not knowing the songs was funny everyone was saying “ that one song was Dylan for sure, what was -she’s really tied up, hangin around”
Estranged was beyond belief, an outdoor show hearing that guitar just singing in the night.I could go on and on.
Put it this way, I won’t say they were as good as when I saw Zep at MSG but it was on that level.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2023 20:38

VoodooLounge13

At this point, she would be a great replacement for Axl in Guns N Roses.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 25, 2023 21:13

VoodooLounge13

GO

She killed on Barracuda with Nancy Wilson at the Taylor Hawkins tribute. Unfortunately the show here is at SoFi but maybe Vegas.

Date: February 26, 2023 01:08

Dan
VoodooLounge13

GO

She killed on Barracuda with Nancy Wilson at the Taylor Hawkins tribute. Unfortunately the show here is at SoFi but maybe Vegas.

Pink has a number of great cover tunes. She did Smells Like Teen Spirit the two times I saw her. On Youtube, she's done White Rabbit, Me and Bobby McGee and an awesome Zeppelin Baby I'm Gonna Leave You and lots of others. Don't want to hijack this G'n'R thread with Pink!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 26, 2023 05:41

lem motlow
dcba
Paddy

Slash's finest hour? The melody lines he brought to Axl's chords are simply exquisite. He really grew between AFD and UYI and he brought so much to the 1991 sessions that it was natural that he took control of the band.

The albums hadn’t been released yet and they were playing a load of songs from them.
It almost felt like we we were getting away with something, hearing this music before anyone else.
Everyone had a bootleg of November Rain and the crowd laughed when Axl said “we’re gonna play this, I know you mthrfckrs have been listening to it for two years.”

Izzy did Dust and Bones and I was thinking this guy is Keith 2.0, he’s got the look and the vibe but the cat isn’t a poser, he’s the real deal.he was singing with Axl and playing his ass off.one of the best singer-songwriter guitar players I’ve ever seen.

Not knowing the songs was funny everyone was saying “ that one song was Dylan for sure, what was -she’s really tied up, hangin around”
Estranged was beyond belief, an outdoor show hearing that guitar just singing in the night.I could go on and on.
Put it this way, I won’t say they were as good as when I saw Zep at MSG but it was on that level.

That was a real peak time to see them you’re a lucky man!
Izzy was the soul of that band. He wrote/co-wrote 8 of the 16 songs on UYI 1 & 4 of the 13 songs on UYI 2. That’s more than minimal for sure. He was the coolest of them all back then.

Date: February 27, 2023 15:30

I looked at Tix for GNR at Saratoga, but I am going to hold out and see if LiveNation does their annual $25 sale. If so, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is one of the shows they offer, then I'll just plan on getting there super early so we can get seats near the actual seats and see the stage. Gotta budget accordingly here - RHCP, Bruce, GNR, (got verified for Beyonce but was NOT paying the astronomical prices she's charging for last row in a stadium!!!!), and the Stones haven't even announced a tour yet. There's only so much $$$ to go around!

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: February 28, 2023 02:32

I had such a great time seeing The Stones in Madrid last year that i bought tickets for GN'R in the same stadium.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 28, 2023 05:54

Paddy
lem motlow
dcba
Paddy

Izzy was the soul of that band. He wrote/co-wrote 8 of the 16 songs on UYI 1 & 4 of the 13 songs on UYI 2. That’s more than minimal for sure. He was the coolest of them all back then.

I was at the riot show in St. Louis. Great half show, was p!ssed it ended.

Even better was when I saw them earlier open for Aerosmith after welcome to the Jungle came out.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2023 06:17

kovach
Paddy
lem motlow
dcba
Paddy

I was at the riot show in St. Louis. Great half show, was p!ssed it ended.

Even better was when I saw them earlier open for Aerosmith after welcome to the Jungle came out.

I saw that tour when they opened for Aerosmith - they were scorching hot, while Aerosmith as headliners were dull in comparison.
Before that in 1986 when they were still relatively unknown and didnt even have an album out yet, I saw them open for Black and Blue and Ted Nugent at the Santa Monica Civic.
And finally, I saw them opening for the Stones in 1989 at the L.A. Coliseum....they seemed already over the hill and on the brink of imploding, with the infamous ranting from Axl about Slash's heroin use.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 28, 2023 20:36

slewan
doitywoik
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
doitywoik
Anyone here on a Guns n’ Roses forum? Considering the fact that Chinese Democracy finally came out in 2008, they should have a new album thread too, somewhere in the area of 15 years and counting. winking smiley

They’ve been working on a new album and the first single should be coming out really soon. From what I’ve read, the material is pretty damn good….in the vein of Appetite.

15 years and counting......wow...just hope they don't hit a wall!!! eye popping smiley
Looking forward to hearing what they've come up with after all these years...both Guns n’ Roses and the Stones!

Hard to believe it's been 34 years since I saw them open for the Stones at the LA Coliseum way back in 1989...

They don't need a wall. They have Axl. winking smiley

… and his voice is severely damaged

Axl should just do what Paul Stanley does at KISS shows. winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 28, 2023 21:16

Gosh, do I have to search for a KISS thread now to learn what Paul Stanly does at KISS shows? winking smiley

Date: July 28, 2023 22:20

No. Two words: canned vocals!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 28, 2023 23:31

Oh, I see! (I'm not really into KISS, and such things often simply escape me.)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 29, 2023 14:02

Topi
No. Two words: canned vocals!

Yes there are some YouTubes showing Paul way off mic as perfect vocals are coming out of the speakers ......

Date: July 29, 2023 15:35

Yet some KISS fans deny it, which cracks me up.

But maybe this is a discussion for the KISS thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-29 15:57 by Topi.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2023 23:37

How GNR still exists in incredible to me.

1. That they are all still alive.

2. That Axl and Slash actually patched things up and got over their feud which I truly thought was beyond repair at this point.

3. That they still play @#$%& stadiums without having any real new music out or anything of relevance in 30 years.

4. That they actually play Chinese Democracy songs live.

5. That Axl can still sing that shit, however bad it is, at over 60 years old.

Nostalgia at its finest, or truly the fact that they were so good that they only made 3 albums and still have drawing power. The fact that I've seen them 10 times on this reunion tour makes no sense, but can't help but love em and the fact that I don't think they should even still be around, so I'll embrace them while they are.

Date: July 29, 2023 23:41

Three albums? They have six studio albums.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 30, 2023 00:04

RollingFreak

Yeah but going from the sexy irresistible groove of the Adler years to the robotic lifeless musical dung they give to their audience nowadays is a bit of a disgrace.
Okay, like many other rock bands, they make incredible amounts of money while being at their worst but still...

Date: July 30, 2023 00:42

Topi
Three albums? They have six studio albums.

I’d go with 5.5. Lies is really an EP and it’s only half studio. Take away Spaghetti and it’s only 4.5 of originals. But I think his point was that only the Big 3 matter. Those being Appetite
and UYI.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 30, 2023 14:22

RollingFreak

1. That they are all still alive.

2. That Axl and Slash actually patched things up and got over their feud which I truly thought was beyond repair at this point.

3. That they still play @#$%& stadiums without having any real new music out or anything of relevance in 30 years.

4. That they actually play Chinese Democracy songs live.

5. That Axl can still sing that shit, however bad it is, at over 60 years old.

Nostalgia at its finest, or truly the fact that they were so good that they only made 3 albums and still have drawing power. The fact that I've seen them 10 times on this reunion tour makes no sense, but can't help but love em and the fact that I don't think they should even still be around, so I'll embrace them while they are.

I saw them just three times and only this year. I've never been a real GnR fan but I was quite impressed how good they are as a live band. Axl's voice is surely damaged or even destroyed. You can hear and see him struggling and suffering (especially when 'singing' November Rain – I always got the impression that he doesn't want to sing that song and that he's glad when it's over). Anybody how goes to a GnR show to see Axl Rose is going to be disappointed. But anyone who comes for Slash will be impressed

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 30, 2023 14:48

slewan
I saw them just three times and only this year. I've never been a real GnR fan but I was quite impressed how good they are as a live band. Axl's voice is surely damaged or even destroyed. You can hear and see him struggling and suffering (especially when 'singing' November Rain – I always got the impression that he doesn't want to sing that song and that he's glad when it's over). Anybody how goes to a GnR show to see Axl Rose is going to be disappointed. But anyone who comes for Slash will be impressed

That's why it is in my opinion waaaay better to see Slash solo. Plus you get to hear Myles Kennedy, who really has a voice.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 30, 2023 15:01

Happy24
slewan

That's why it is in my opinion waaaay better to see Slash solo. Plus you get to hear Myles Kennedy, who really has a voice.

right but not if you want to hear GnR songs… I saw Slash once with Myles Kennedy and it was great.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 30, 2023 17:14

That is why seeing them in 1988 & 1992 was priceless.. watch the Video's on YT

Paris [www.youtube.com]

Saskatoon [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2023 17:36

slewan
Happy24
slewan

right but not if you want to hear GnR songs… I saw Slash once with Myles Kennedy and it was great.

Slash shows used to be phenomenal. Like seriously, some of the best rock shows you could ask for in this day and aged. They were unfortunately ruined when he joined back up with Guns. They stopped played most GNR songs (because it understandably became superfluous) and the sets just became less dynamic, unpredictable and exciting. Guns totally neutered a great moment in Slash's career.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home