Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Expectations via Waylon Jennings
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 3, 2022 17:30

Came across this. No idea if it's been here before. It rocks. Made me think about how the Stones (and other bands) could re-imagine their songs. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: No Expectations via Waylon Jennings
Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: December 3, 2022 22:43

Great - but maybe Johnny Cash is better in his version made in the early seventies. Listen and give response.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: December 4, 2022 07:31

Y Cash made a nice up-tempo version of the song .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 4, 2022 07:40

Waylon's version is better. Barely.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2022 14:45

I like the way Mick Taylor 're-imagines' (great term!) "No Expectations". He doesn't make it a cowboy song, but more like a 8 minute Taylor era Stones song (with some progressive twist). There are many YouTube versions (usually sonically horrible) out there with different bands (like Bill's Rhythm Kings and The Les Paul Trio), sometimes with slide, sometimes not. Lots of interesting arrangement ideas (some work, some not), and the ending typically is funny - instead of giving a killer Taylor solo as one might expect, he does pure chord-hitting Richards signature stuff, like a nod to that sound and era...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-04 14:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 4, 2022 18:18

GasLightStreet
Waylon's version is better. Barely.

I like this one better, but rather have the original!!! One of my all time favorites spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 4, 2022 23:02

Haha - the Youtube poster claims "Waylon owns this" I think I have to politely disagree here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2022 23:09

Both covers gallop the song bucking
off and trampling the emotions of Stones original ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 5, 2022 00:25

Would have liked Johnny's voice on Waylon's instrumentation.

Date: December 5, 2022 00:26

Lynd8
Haha - the Youtube poster claims "Waylon owns this" I think I have to politely disagree here.

Well, if you believe YouTube, that is, the fans of the particular performer, also Motorhead owns "Sympathy For The Devil", Kiss "2000 Men", etc. But then again, you might find people, and not only on YouTube, claiming that the Stones do the Chuck Berry songs better than Chuck himself does and so on...

- Doxa

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 5, 2022 10:21

Actually Chuck never did a version of Little Queenie that is better than the version
on Get yer ya-ya's out!

But nah, these uptempo versions of No Expectations do absolutely nothing for me.

I've seen Mick Taylor doing the song with Bill Wyman's Rythm Kings. For those first bars
I thought he had completely forgotten how the song goes, but then he picked it up nicely.

I prefer the Beggar's Banquet version, but the Rock 'n Roll circus version is also nice.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 5, 2022 12:45

marcovandereijk

I've seen Mick Taylor doing the song with Bill Wyman's Rythm Kings. For those first bars
I thought he had completely forgotten how the song goes, but then he picked it up nicely.

Yeah, Taylor has written a whole new intro for the song (something one would never associate with the song) that ends up with an odd vocal line going totally out of key. When I first heard that I thought he was just fooling around and doing a terrible mistake, but then I noticed he does it every time with a purpose (still I don't quite get it...). Belongs to his arrangement. After that he starts doing the normal structure of the song.

I recall him saying that it is his favourite Stones tune.

- Doxa

Date: December 5, 2022 13:48

Taylor plays a beautiful chord progression -intro in open E here- all sticking perfectly to the rules of harmony. With Bill Wyman.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 5, 2022 18:26

This is my YouTube of 2006 Mick Taylor in Ochten, the Netherlands 2006 I think. My old account

[youtu.be]

Date: December 5, 2022 21:02

Christiaan
This is my YouTube of 2006 Mick Taylor in Ochten, the Netherlands 2006 I think. My old account

[youtu.be]

Thanks for posting. Just sorted it out on my guitar.

[youtu.be]

For the guitarists amongst us:

I love that beautiful descending change Taylor plays at 0:23 from Amaj to Amin6 to E7/G# to B7/F# resolving to E major. Actually the entire intro is sheer beauty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home