Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wasted Stones years 2008-2012
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 06:21

I feel that the year 2008 till 2012 been truely wasted. They I mean ROLLING STONES stopped any kind of activities for those 4 years for an unknown reason. Some may disagree, but i feel those 4 years been truly wasted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 17:09 by bv.

Re: Wasted years
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 2, 2022 06:34

pftw04
I feel that the year 2008 till 2012 been truely wasted. They I mean ROLLING STONES stopped any kind of activities for those 4 years for an unknown reason. Some may disagree, but i feel those 4 years been truly wasted

Uh... unknown reason? After a 3 year tour... the movie/soundtrack in 2008.

Yet alone...

1994-95, 1997-99 tours...
2002-03, 2005-2007 tours...

2010 EXILE deluxe and a good bit more, live and studio, after.

Perhaps a little reminder is needed:

Keith Richards & Charlie Watts (March 2008): The Stones' future

Keith: I think we might make another album. Once we get over doing promotion on this film.

Charlie: I think we should carry on. It seems that whenever we stop I get ill. The last time we had a break I got throat cancer.

And, of course,,,
Keith Richards (February 2008): Still withdrawing
At the moment, I think we're all still getting off that tour. It takes about four or five months to come down off all that adrenalin. It's really only in the last two or three weeks that I've stopped waking up wondering if it's a play day or a travelling day. It takes that long, yeah. I always expect it, but still you've go to go through it. It's like a long withdrawal. When you finish, you want to start again. Especially after two years, you get so used to that adrenalin punch, and when it gets cut off, well... it's not as bad as smack, but it's pretty bad.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Re: Wasted years 2008-2012
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: December 2, 2022 08:04

Those years were nothing compared to the wilderness years of the mid 80’s

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 2, 2022 10:20

During these years Keith Richards took time to recover from his accident - he described himself as semi-conscious during that time.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:35

I always wondered why a potential 2009/10 tour didn't happen. If you read the IORR news of those years you see that there were rumors about tours from time to time, but some things must have just not worked out.
I think they could have had one more 100 show tour in the can if they would have toured in between those years. But of course it made the comeback even more exciting.

Maybe the financial crisis changed plans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 15:37 by Stonesfan2146.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:45

pftw04

I agree. Mick and Keith were only 65-69 years old. Keith's wife was seriously ill. The band were in an ugly legal mess with Michael Cohl and Live Nation. Ronnie's entire world had fallen apart thanks to addiction. There's no reasonable explanation for why they wasted those years.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 2, 2022 16:29

they weren't completely inactive during this time they seem to have taken a couple years off and then started working on various solo projects or other peoples things

mick kept performing (the rock and roll hall of fame, the white house, snl, the grammys) and working on solo projects like superheavy and the exile, some girls reissues plus archival releases like texas 72 & 78 brussels affair 73, and a documentary on the making of exile

keith was working on solo stuff in the studio and writing his autobiography

ronnie's was having a very rough go of it in his personal life but still managed to record a terrific solo album

charlie toured and recorded with his solo band

and they all came together with bill for the boogie for stu thing as well

just have a look thru nico's websites pages on these so called wasted years

nzentgraf.de

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 2, 2022 17:06

Why aren't the Stones allowed to rest and reflect on life for a few years - after a three year long world tour?

Are you American by a chance? Because thinking that rest is a waste of time seems to be a very American point of view.

(Edit: Though they didn't even just rest. They did concentrate on their archives, on the deluxe editions and vault stuff. Keith write a biography, a solo album, Mick did experiments with other artists like SuperHeavy, Charlie played Jazz and Ronnie kicked Alcohol once and for all)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 17:09 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 2, 2022 17:21

StonedRambler
Why aren't the Stones allowed to rest and reflect on life for a few years - after a three year long world tour?

Are you American by a chance? Because thinking that rest is a waste of time seems to be a very American point of view.

(Edit: Though they didn't even just rest. They did concentrate on their archives, on the deluxe editions and vault stuff. Keith write a biography, a solo album, Mick did experiments with other artists like SuperHeavy, Charlie played Jazz and Ronnie kicked Alcohol once and for all)

Stop with the stereotypes. I'm American and LOVE rest. It's not a waste of time, it's essential for mental health and living a full life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 17:22 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 2, 2022 22:31

NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler

Stop with the stereotypes. I'm American and LOVE rest. It's not a waste of time, it's essential for mental health and living a full life.

Sorry, didn't want to generalize that. It's just a cultural thing I notice every time I am in America that rest is often
equated with lazyness and not working hard enough whereas in Europe it's more seen as an essential human need. Maybe I've not seen enough in America and I am wrong but that is my impression.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 2, 2022 22:53

StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler

Sorry, didn't want to generalize that. It's just a cultural thing I notice every time I am in America that rest is often
equated with lazyness and not working hard enough whereas in Europe it's more seen as an essential human need. Maybe I've not seen enough in America and I am wrong but that is my impression.

Fair enough. No hard feelings!

Re: Wasted Stones years 2008-2012
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 3, 2022 03:00

Wasn't half of this period the fallout from Life? This was a smaller scale "WWIII" of the 80's, the unthawing in 2012 was sort of felt throughout the band.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 3, 2022 03:38

pftw04

Then I will like to ask: What do you think the Stones were prevented from doing during that period, making this a waste, I guess, of opportunity? I would also have asked out of what reasons, but there you say that it was the result of one unknown reason..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2022 04:21

The silver lining of these "wasted years" is that we were gifted with SuperHeavy!grinning smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 3, 2022 04:26

Wasted years? Maybe they spent time with their families. It’s not about you pfw04

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 3, 2022 05:58

Hairball
The silver lining of these "wasted years" is that we were gifted with SuperHeavy!grinning smileyeye rolling smiley

Right? Was just going to post this on the "what are you listening to this very second" thread...grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 05:58 by Topi.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 3, 2022 06:16

Wasted years. 1977 through 1988

Date: December 3, 2022 07:27

More Hot Rocks
Wasted years. 1977 through 1988

LOL!

1985-1988. As The Rolling Stones, anyway.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:04

I guess The Stones never say never again, but I think after the long and probably rather exhausting A Bigger Bang tour they pretty much were thinking that as a recording and touring band 'this is it'.

The new record deal with UMG in 2008 didn't include any new album, but was very much looking back: the new releases would be reissues, archive material and compilations. It was especially the old stuff and taking care of the legacy that 'the anti-nostalgic' Mick put his attention. Keith concentrated taking care of himself and of his wife. He got rid of his home studio, stopped playing guitar and made a 'tell it all' memoir. There were rumours even them selling their whole back cataloque.

I wouldn't say those years were wasted, but instead say that it was a relief, even a little miracle that the story didn't stop then and there, and that they had the strength, motivation and inspiration start doing something together again, that is, to play concerts and finally even making new music.

I think we are learned to take them and their doings (new tours, albums, etc) as granted, but I think it must be hard and difficult for them to keep the show going on. They are humans after all. There've been times when they had been very close to call it quits, and the period in question was very much one of them.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 16:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 3, 2022 17:15

Doxa
I guess The Stones never say never again, but I think after the long and probably rather exhausting A Bigger Bang tour they pretty much were thinking that as a recording and touring band 'this is it'.

The new record deal with UMG in 2008 didn't include any new album, but was very much looking back: the new releases would be reissues, archive material and compilations. It was especially the old stuff and taking care of the legacy that 'the anti-nostalgic' Mick put his attention. Keith concentrated taking care of himself and of his wife. He got rid of his home studio, stopped playing guitar and made a 'tell it all' memoir. There were rumours even them selling their whole back cataloque.

I wouldn't say those years were wasted, but instead say that it was a relief, even a little miracle that the story didn't stop then and there, and that they had the strength, motivation and inspiration start doing something together again, that is, to play concerts and finally even making new music.

I think we are learned to take them and their doings (new tours, albums, etc) as granted, but I think it must be hard and difficult for them to keep the show going on. They are humans after all. There've been times when they had been very close to call it quits, and the period in question was very much one of them.

- Doxa

Having lived through it from my perspective it did feel a little bit of 'over' and Keith's book added to that feeling.

Whose to say what actually went on in their minds, but when that 50th started approaching they knew they'd want to acknowledge and capitalize on it and from then on they've been 'rolling' along...intending to but not quite able to finish a new album - though here we finally are even with that. A completely unmatched career.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: December 4, 2022 21:40

I don't think anything was wasted they earned the right to take a break nothing wrong with that everyone needs a break from time to time

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 5, 2022 04:47

Didn’t Keith’s book come out during that period also? That may have contributed to any inertia.

Date: December 5, 2022 05:42

donvis
Didn’t Keith’s book come out during that period also? That may have contributed to any inertia.

A stated above by Doxa, yes.

10-26-2010 to be exact.

Keith was living not in the Caribbean but in the Turks & Caicos, in the Atlantic E/SE of the Bahamas, on Parrot Cay (pronounced key, and originally known as Pirate Cay), when he wrote the book.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 5, 2022 06:08

They toured in 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07.
Those were long tours, not like the 15 date runs now.
They released 3 albums also in those 13 years.

08-12 was well earned.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 5, 2022 12:34

ABB was not a three year tour, but a two year tour, August 2005 to August 2007.

plexi

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2022 12:46

timbernardis

plexi

Yep, with the later scheduled shows somewhat affected by Keith's bump on the noggin.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 5, 2022 12:57

Spud
timbernardis

plexi

Yep, with the later scheduled shows somewhat affected by Keith's bump on the noggin.

Keith was amazing on the last shows 2007. I saw 6 out of the last 7 and he nailed it every time. But I must admit I was worried about him in Werchter and Frankfurt but I don't know if it is connected with his surgery.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2022 14:45

Keith had quite a lot going on in his life over 2006/07 other than the head injury.

He must have been beside himself with worry over Patti's then health issues...which weren't wide public knowledge at the time.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 5, 2022 20:58

"Are you American by chance?" WTF?

Bigoted stereotype much?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 5, 2022 22:57

There’s been releases in some form every year of their existence. Maybe not a new album or tour, but certainly things to tide you over.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home