Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies aged 79
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 1, 2022 09:37

I just got a little older. Always liked this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 1, 2022 10:16

Terrible news. Christine certainly came off as a class act. A stalwart musical creator within Fleetwood Mac and a great song writer. Such sad news to hear of her passing. RIP

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 1, 2022 11:44

I was at The O2 in 2013 when she rejoined the band for the encore (Don't Stop) which was a really great moment. Really glad I got to see the classic line up for a full show in 2015 where the final song was Songbird.

RIP Christine - thank you for the music.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2022 13:24

RollingFreak

She wasn't the most attractive one (but was still beautiful) so she never sold her sex as the appeal (not criticizing the others that did; flaunt it if and while you've got it) and she could just damn play and write music.

Robert Christgau made the observation in his review of the Rumors album that it was the "cute" woman who wrote and sang the tough lyrics, while the tough-looking, slightly husky-voiced woman wrote and sang the vulnerable ones.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 1, 2022 14:37

RIP Christine McVie, born Christine Anne Perfect, Bouth Cumbria, 12 Jul 1943 – 30 Nov 2022
We will miss your amazing beautiful voice, sleep and rest in peace Christine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-01 15:34 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 1, 2022 14:47

filstan
Terrible news. Christine certainly came off as a class act. A stalwart musical creator within Fleetwood Mac and a great song writer. Such sad news to hear of her passing. RIP

My thoughts exactly. Classy was the first word I thought of.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 1, 2022 14:49

Hairball
So sad...so terribly sad...so really, really, really sad....so very sad...sad smiley

RIP Christine McVie

I always thought this album was as good or better than Rumours.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 15:17

Elmo Lewis
Hairball
So sad...so terribly sad...so really, really, really sad....so very sad...sad smiley

RIP Christine McVie

I always thought this album was as good or better than Rumours.

For me it has always been the Big 4: White Album - Rumours - Tusk - Mirage

Rumours for me in some ways the best, because of Hit Potential etc.
Tusk has been the biggest achievement in some way, because being able to follow
a smash hit like Rumours with such an extraordinary album is amazing.
But yes, the 75 album was amazing too. Mirage grew on me through the years
and it was my starter into my "adult" musical taste.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 18:11

I always liked the "Tango in the Night" album as it made them relevant again in the late 80's.

Soo depressing that Christine is gone. She was a gift to us.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 1, 2022 18:33

One of Christine's last recordings. This is a really nice song.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 1, 2022 19:57

I adored Christine McVie and loved FM's early work. In fact, I bailed on them when Nicks and Buckingham joined and they became a pop band with a horribly nasal lead vocalist.

Gone too soon!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 1, 2022 20:14

I first became aware of her the first time also the first time I listened to a Fleetwood Mac album, Heroes Are Hard to Find. It's time to go back and listen again. Rest in Peace.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 1, 2022 20:58

My favourite member of Fletwood Mac.

Sad news. Rest in Peace

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 1, 2022 21:16

There are now officially available out takes of Peter Greens FLeetwood MAC playing Need Your Love So Bad.....on some Christine Perfect plays Hammond organ......just brilliant......no overdubs....just McVie, Fleetwood, Perfect and Green.......check them out. RIP

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 1, 2022 21:43

Never was a much of a Fleetwood Mac fan besides a song or two hear and there. Back in the 1970's I was a big Peter Frampton fan when he was tearing up the scene with Frampton Comes Alive. There was a big rivalry with Fleetwood Mac Rumours as to who had the best selling album. When Fleetwood Mac came to town my friend and I refused to go see them, at the time we actually despised them. I do really like "Over My Head" and "Hypnotized" "Second Hand News" and a couple others.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 2, 2022 02:33

Nice tribute to Christine in the Atlantic

Christine McVie’s Most Miraculous Song

“You Make Loving Fun” showed that the late Fleetwood Mac member was a titan in her own right.
By Spencer Kornhaber

December 1, 2022, 1:24 PM ET

The popular image of Fleetwood Mac is of the band as an unstable molecule, its parts best understood by their place in an ever-changing swirl of connections. The group’s long saga includes marriages and divorces and affairs, departures and firings and returns. Bustling with rumbling blues, painterly folk, and hippie pop, its songs are pleasant blurs from afar, and cathedral-ceiling complex up close.

To most people, the singer and keyboardist Christine McVie, who died yesterday at age 79, was the member most recognizable for her role in the whole. She was first a fan (back when she performed under her birth name, Christine Perfect, at the same gigs as Mick Fleetwood’s blues group), and then a pillar (described in multiple obituaries as something like the “eye of the storm” in Fleetwood Mac). She could be thought of as both the band’s first woman (joining in 1970 shortly after marrying its bassist John McVie) and the band’s second woman (having willingly ceded the spotlight to Stevie Nicks, who joined in 1975 and quickly became a superstar). She was a glory-agnostic musician’s musician, content to entertain the public from behind the buffer of an electric piano.

But the grief millions feel at the news of McVie’s death may help reframe her legend: She was a titan in her own right. We all know that voice of hers, a clear and strong river cutting through dry rock. She wrote and sang songs that suspended time and defined eras: the panting “Don’t Stop,” the plaintive “Songbird,” the irrepressible “Everywhere.” Classically informed and practical-minded, she was a crowd-pleasing genius (“I’m a hook queen,” she once said) who used her powers for art.

The exemplary song that first comes to my mind is “You Make Loving Fun,” which McVie wrote and sang on the group’s 1977 album, Rumours. Although it was a smash, the track does not quite have the reputational mystique of knottier, more grandiose cuts such as “The Chain” and “Dreams.” It is, in fact, that most suspicious thing—a capital-p Pop song with a silly name. But in just over three and a half minutes, an epoch’s worth of emotion circulates. McVie gives one of the prettiest renditions ever of one of the most elemental tales: the unhardening of a heart.

The song builds off one of the band’s characteristically magnificent grooves, a boogying pulse ornamented with rock-and-roll detail work. The rhythm conveys tension and grit, which are leavened by the song’s ethereal wind chimes, guitar solos, and harmonies. Really, though, McVie’s vocals are the main event. The opening verse is a seduction, her syllables long and lassolike. Then, in the chorus, something amazing happens: The song seems to surrender. The band slows, like it’s readying for a nap, and McVie ascends, as if picked up by wind, while confessing to never believing in magic. When she flutters down, she’s sighing in bliss, but measuredly, pragmatically, honestly: “I’ve a feeling it’s time to try.”

Perhaps you find most of the lyrics—“Sweet wonderful you / You make me happy with the things you do”—a bit mushy. Of course, giving oneself over to mushiness is the point of the song. “Don’t break the spell,” McVie pleads to a lover and, perhaps, to the unapologetically romantic music itself. When she says, “I don’t have to tell you but you’re the only one,” it sounds like a given—although the tangled, affairs-laden backstory of Rumours suggests other possibilities. After all, the song is about Fleetwood Mac’s lighting director (whom she was dating), but she reportedly told John McVie (whom she’d divorced in 1976) that it was actually written about a dog.

The complex mythology of Fleetwood Mac adds another layer of poignancy to the song: An ode to believing the unbelievable was written and delivered not by the famously mystical Stevie Nicks but by her hardy foil, Christine McVie. (The critic Robert Christgau once asked whether Rumours is good because the “cute-voiced woman writes and sings the tough lyrics and the husky-voiced woman the vulnerable ones.”) But this band, and McVie herself, was a story of multitudes—and the way that mastering those multitudes can create miracles.

Drew

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 2, 2022 14:41

Lindsey Buckingham's tribute

“Christine McVie’s sudden passing is profoundly heartbreaking. Not only were she and I part of the magical family of Fleetwood Mac, to me Christine was a musical comrade, a friend, a soul mate, a sister. For over four decades, we helped each other create a beautiful body of work and a lasting legacy that continues to resonate today. I feel very lucky to have known her. Though she will be deeply missed, her spirit will live on through that body of work and that legacy.”

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2022 17:03

Really nice musical tribute from John Frusciante of Red Hot Chili Peppers

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 2, 2022 18:21

RE: Lindsey Buckingham's tribute

I love Lindsey Buckingham, but his ego comes through in this half-hearted tribute. Nothing about how amazing her songs were, or how amazing she was as an artist. It's all about "she and I" and "our body of work," etc. There was nothing untrue in what he wrote, but it comes off sounding a little too self promoting and not enough Christine. She was an entity unto herself-- a fantastic artist and songwriter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 18:23 by Tate.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 20:03

Tate

I love Lindsey Buckingham, but his ego comes through in this half-hearted tribute. Nothing about how amazing her songs were, or how amazing she was as an artist. It's all about "she and I" and "our body of work," etc. There was nothing untrue in what he wrote, but it comes off sounding a little too self promoting and not enough Christine. She was an entity unto herself-- a fantastic artist and songwriter.

I see how you could view that way. For me, I read it as an ousted member of FM stating his condolences while at the same time stating the obvious - that they were both integral members of a great band, who would not have gotten where they did without either of them. That the drama continues between Stevie and Lindsey all these years later astounds me.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 2, 2022 20:18

Tate

I know what you are saying but Buckingham did a majority of work on her songs in the studio. Don’t forget the two of them recorded an album together.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 2, 2022 21:12

crholmstrom
Really nice musical tribute from John Frusciante of Red Hot Chili Peppers

video: [www.youtube.com]

Beautiful.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 3, 2022 20:12

Christine the best, a cool good looker...

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: December 3, 2022 21:04

I like her voice and her songs much more than Stevie's.

Brown Eyes is a personal favorite.

The Bob Welch era is underrated, IMO. Really like those records.

RIP

Brown Eyes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 21:06 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 3, 2022 22:25

Rest in Peace Christine. You were a very talented and beautiful lady. Growing up, I think I wore down my copies of Rumours and Fleetwood Mac (their white album) on my turntable from playing those records so much. Truly an amazing artist.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 4, 2022 04:08

Seeing her do Songbird, solo at the keys was an amazing live moment for me.
18,00 people in the arena and you couldn’t hear a sound. Only her. Really Beautiful.

RIP Christine and thank you for that memory.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: December 4, 2022 05:28

In the summer of 75 Fleetwood Mac played at Balboa Stadium, San Diego. Friends and I found a parking space about a mile and a half away so we're walking up the streets and a car a yellow Mercedes-Benz 450SL pulls to the curb to ask directions to the stadium, it was Dennis Wilson...Dennis and Christine were seeing each other.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 4, 2022 05:33

I have tried to work out a decent comment since I heard the news, but words fail me. She represented sanity in the group that had no shortage of turmoil.
Sayonara Christine, “Nobody’s Perfect.”

Born 12 July, 1943 — exactly two weeks prior to you-know-who.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 4, 2022 20:32

Paddy
Seeing her do Songbird, solo at the keys was an amazing live moment for me.
18,00 people in the arena and you couldn’t hear a sound. Only her. Really Beautiful.

RIP Christine and thank you for that memory.

I had the same experience, the same memory. Unforgettable.

Drew

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 4, 2022 21:10

Christine used to live in a Kent village quite near me (I walked/cycled past her Tudor mansion many times but never saw her). Very saddened to hear of her demise.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home