Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Gram Parsons
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 22, 2022 16:13

OT-New Live Gram Parsons & Fallen Angels ‘73 show to be released

High-quality soundboard recordings from Gram Parsons Philadelphia club show in 1973 were discovered in a box at Amoeba Records. Here is the link to more info and the Kickstarter campaign to get these released. I apologize if this has already been posted, but I scrolled back and did a search and didn’t see anything. This should be excellent!

[www.kickstarter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-20 08:40 by bv.

Re: OT-New Live Gram Parsons & Fallen Angels ‘73 show to be released
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2022 18:02

this should be good

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 22, 2022 22:51

Souds great thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: November 23, 2022 15:56

The Kickstarter goal is $50,000, they are currently over $71,000, so I guess the project is a go! The tracks posted in the link sound amazing, and they haven’t even been mastered yet. The target date to ship the CD is next August, the vinyl will take longer. It’s like waiting on the new Stones album!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 23, 2022 16:28

Ross
The Kickstarter goal is $50,000

50K to digitalize a 1h tape and press 2000 CDs?
Who's behind the project? Sam Bankman-Fried? grinning smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 23, 2022 19:06

Sounds fantastic. Will be interesting to hear how the vocal mics picked up the instruments on other tracks. This is essentially a vocal duet over acoustic strumming. Didn't notice the steel guitar until near the end, but that may have been because I was so enthralled by the vocals. Much clearer than some of the muddy old bootlegs I tracked down over the years.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 23, 2022 20:57

Anyone told Keef about this?

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: November 24, 2022 14:39

I just read the title ‘73 show to be released and I thought for a breef second it was holy grail Live Rolling Stones material...

Damn

Date: November 24, 2022 15:56

dcba
Ross
The Kickstarter goal is $50,000

50K to digitalize a 1h tape and press 2000 CDs?
Who's behind the project? Sam Bankman-Fried? grinning smiley

Ha! It’s a bit more than that. Read the article.

Date: November 24, 2022 17:42

teleblaster
Sounds fantastic. Will be interesting to hear how the vocal mics picked up the instruments on other tracks. This is essentially a vocal duet over acoustic strumming. Didn't notice the steel guitar until near the end, but that may have been because I was so enthralled by the vocals. Much clearer than some of the muddy old bootlegs I tracked down over the years.

Here is another track from this project. This is before any cleaning-up or mastering.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 24, 2022 20:35

WOW!!! This sounds great!!!

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: November 26, 2022 21:27

Can't wait for this! It sounds like it's possibly the best Gram Parsons concert ever.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: November 26, 2022 21:35

Good things come to those that wait. But seriously, 50 years?

I attended the Bijou Cafe show with Gram Parsons and The Fallen Angels. I liked the GP album a bunch and the Keith connection was the hook.

The Bijou was an appropriately named jewel of a concert facility where I had witnessed great shows ranging from the likes of Toots and The Maytals,
Georgie Thorogood, David Letterman and the top-of the-heap Frankie Miller. It was railway-car shaped with the stage on the left hand wall and two
rows of tables coming off at 90 degree angles.

Gram's show was sparsely attended but I found one table with a gent who looked like he stepped out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. This was
undoubtedly the notorious Phil Kaufman who caught my attention because of the reel to reel tape recorder he had on the table top. I was already
a taper myself having started with Nils Lofgren's Grin at my Villanova the previous year. Memory hasn't logged any conversation perhaps because
this guy did not scream "approachable". Anyway, the show was the kind that imprints on your psyche. So, of course I have long wondered what
happened to that recording. Dime A Dozen provided a shabby distant generation one years ago which I found frustrating to listen to. Luckily,
the previous evening's show in Long Island was a radio broadcast and has provide many hours of substitute enjoyment. But now, here's the Bijou show
thanks to the Amoeba discovery. No surprise there since the store has always been so great I usually tried to stay away from it.

Gram's Reprise albums are wonderfully heartbreaking to me but the mystique of his stage presence and oozing charisma was really something to behold.
Months later he would return to play his final concert at the Tower Theater for a "Byrds-Burritos Reunion".

I am very thankful that this tape has emerged and know Stones fans will appreciate the artistry that was Planet Gram.

And of course,
RIP Wilko Johnson

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 17, 2023 12:41

Great news from the Kickstarter guys: everything is still going according to plan so the 10inch records (GP and Emmy) I subscribed to should be in the mail pretty soon. Can't wait.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 21, 2023 04:44

I love this!
New recordings surfacing!!!

gram - 50 years gone today
Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: September 19, 2023 12:57

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-19 13:00 by rayrad.

Re: gram - 50 years gone today
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 19, 2023 13:14

So sad. We missed so much from Gram. His stuff still sounds fresh today.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 19, 2023 13:24

You see a haunted soul. Love all of his ballads. He had a heart, somewhere deep within, that just couldn´t be silent...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 19, 2023 14:27

A true genius, we all miss him.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 19, 2023 18:18

A great talent

Re: OT: Gram Parsons
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 20, 2023 15:39

The Pledge button is dead (grayed out) for the "Live at the Bijou Cafe CD - $25", making it impossible to obtain a copy, at least on my computer.

What is up with this?

Is there any other way of getting a CD copy besides the kickstarter.com page?:
[www.kickstarter.com]

Date: September 20, 2023 16:27

Chacho
The Pledge button is dead (grayed out) for the "Live at the Bijou Cafe CD - $25", making it impossible to obtain a copy, at least on my computer.

What is up with this?

Is there any other way of getting a CD copy besides the kickstarter.com page?:
[www.kickstarter.com]

Same here. Then again, it says it doesn't deliver to my country sad smiley

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 21, 2023 02:53

Well, I am outside of the listed countries also, however I am using a VPN set to a USA IP address, and, I am a USA citizen with a USA shipping address and a USA credit card.

Possibly the Kickstarter webpage is seeing through my VPN and detecting my true location, thus blocking me from ordering by graying out (or disabling) the pledge button.

If that is the case, then they are real stupid. There are many people worldwide who could be located in countries other than USA, UK, or wherever else they are shipping to, but maintain shipping addresses, and credit cards from the listed countries. They are the ones who will loose money by such a policy!

New marker at Joshua Tree
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 21, 2023 03:42

The good news is, yesterday the National Park Service unveiled a new informational marker at Cap Rock located within Joshua Tree National Park. That's where the Rolling Stones used to hang out with Gram Parsons in the late 1960s. Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of Parsons's death, hence the unveiling.

The bad news is, the marker states unequivocally that the song Wild Horses was written by Parsons and Keith Richards.

I've made park officials aware.

Re: New marker at Joshua Tree
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 21, 2023 05:48

This is a joke, right? The National Forest Service doesn't put up markers to commemorate people like Gram Parsons or celebrity overdoses.

This LA Times article mentions make-shift markers in the park, but that's about all there is. Have you been to Joshua Tree?

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 21, 2023 07:32

The location of the attempted cremation is occasionally vandalized by Gram fans. I've visited it every time I'm in the park. Whoever's in charge of cleaning the location tends to do a great job, but you'll see remnants.

I love Joshua Tree. One of the most beautiful places in the US.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 21, 2023 07:34

And yeah, I don't buy that this is the National Park Service's marker, if it even exists. As much as I love Gram, it should be left alone.

I did stay in Gram's infamous hotel room at the Joshua Tree Inn.

Date: September 21, 2023 17:48

uhm... it's an OFFICIAL NPS marker... and they hosted Phil Kaufman at the visitor center to discuss it

here it is

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 21, 2023 17:50

Pietro
This is a joke, right? The National Forest Service doesn't put up markers to commemorate people like Gram Parsons or celebrity overdoses.

This LA Times article mentions make-shift markers in the park, but that's about all there is. Have you been to Joshua Tree?

[www.latimes.com]

I've been maybe 50 times? have stayed in room 8 about 10

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 21, 2023 19:37

hbwriter
Pietro

[www.latimes.com]

I've been maybe 50 times? have stayed in room 8 about 10

Honest question here, hbw...
Why have you stayed in that room? Personally, I cannot fathom the fascination with death sites. Just curious.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home