Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223
Current Page: 23 of 23
Re: OT: FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted by: Papo ()
Date: December 19, 2022 21:22

All the before mentioned were great and outatabding players. Does it really matter who is the GOAT?
I honestly can't really compare, as I have seen Messi play more often than the others like Pele or Cruyff.
All I can say is that Messi is the best play I have ever seen and his performance during this years WC was masterful, not only on the pitch, but as well leading the team.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 21:55

Are Mbappe’ and Harland the new Messi and Ronaldo

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 22:01

Papo
All the before mentioned were great and outatabding players. Does it really matter who is the GOAT?
I honestly can't really compare, as I have seen Messi play more often than the others like Pele or Cruyff.
All I can say is that Messi is the best play I have ever seen and his performance during this years WC was masterful, not only on the pitch, but as well leading the team.

Well, I think many enjoy discussions such as these. As I'd mentioned earlier, there is a very real debate here Stateside in regards to the sport of basketball. Many would crown Lebron here over Jordan, but what about Chamberlain, or Bill Russell? Or even Kareem? One could even build a case for Larry Bird, though a very different sort of player. It's hard to decide.

American football has now been decided, and even for me, who has spent most of Brady's career loathing him, I can no longer ignore the man's natural God-given talent and abilities. I only wished him to have a better season than he's had so far amidst all the off field drama surrounding him.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 19, 2022 22:43

Taylor1

I think people like Messi appears not very often, Mbappe’ and Halland and very good players, maybe the best at this moment, but nothing to compare with Messi, he came from another planet.

saludos
Fernando

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 20, 2022 07:09

Yes, generational talents that every generation doesn't even have.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 20, 2022 09:05

VoodooLounge13
Koen
DGA35
During this World Cup, I've read articles about who is the goat, Messi or Ronaldo. To all the IORR'ers who follow the sport, your thoughts, either of them or someone else?

The goat is Pelé. Second one is Cruijff. Then probably Messi/Maradona. Ronaldo (CR7) is a great player, but not nearly a goat, IMNSHO.

I actually forgot about Cruyff. I could go with this assessment. Not sure if I put Messi or Maradona 3rd. It's a tough call really. If memory serves, this is Messi's only WC final, correct? I know they were ousted in the last 2 Cups before the Finals. I can't recall 2010 though, but I think it was also an early exit, as the team wasn't that good back then. So on straight Finals appearances, Maradona has a slight edge. Goals scored heavily favors Messi. Skills-wise, I think that also falls to Messi. So I would conclude Messi would probably be #3, followed by Maradona.

Messi played the Brazil WC final. this was his second big final.

Date: December 20, 2022 09:20

It's difficult to compare but the sport is so much different now that i rate Messi's performances way above Pele, Maradona and Cruyff. Just look at old matches... It's a different game. Messi is an alien talent wise.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 20, 2022 11:15

Lots of talk in the medias since sunday to rate the best match ever in a World Cup.
Here's a list , the french sport newspaper l'Equipe did feel free to add some others :

- Uruguay-Brazil 1950
- Final England-West-Germany 1966
- Semi-Final Italy-West-Germany 1970
- Semi-Final France-West-Germany 1982
- Italy-Brazil 1982
- Quarter-Final France-Brazil 1986
- Quarter-Final Argentina-England 1986
- Semi-Final Germany-Brazil 2014
- Netherlands - Spain 2014
- Final Argentina-France 2022

HMN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-20 11:16 by Honestman.

Date: December 20, 2022 13:43

Two questions for the much more knowledgeable people on this site than I: Had Harland played on England team this year would they have been favorites to win World Cup. And any chance Ronaldo and Messi play in 2026 World Cup. I know they will be too old, but look at TomBrady and modern training and nutrition.Although I guess playing soccer is much harder at that age than be a quarterback

Date: December 20, 2022 13:54

1. It's Haaland (Originally it's Håland, actually - he's from my country, but they don't have that letter in England, and double a = å). He needs to get the right passes to utilise his full potential. England's striker, Kane, is a fantastic player, so it's hard to tell.

2. Messi has stated that this World Cup was his last. Ronaldo was benched during the tournament, so regarding his age he probably won't come back to this level again.

Being a striker requires pace and muscles, and it's hard to maintain this when you're pushing 40 in football. There are a few exceptions, though, like Cameroon's Roger Milla, but that's over 20 years ago.

Date: December 20, 2022 14:08

Hope Norway will be in the World Cup in2026 .I would like to go to a match here in America and see him

Date: December 20, 2022 14:23

Taylor1
Hope Norway will be in the World Cup in2026 .I would like to go to a match here in America and see him

I hope so, too! I was in the US in 1994 when we made it there, watching all of Norway's game.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 20, 2022 21:01

Congratulations, Argentina!

[twitter.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 20, 2022 22:18

Wow! What a great welcome for Argentina team ....... World Champions.
Seen it all happen on BBC NEWS channel here in UK.
Well done Argentina. smileys with beer

Date: December 20, 2022 22:57

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

I hope so, too! I was in the US in 1994 when we made it there,
watching all of Norway's game.

Erling Haaland is a goal scoring machine for Manchester City over here in England Premier League.
Watching him score goals for his team is really top rate goal scoring.
Roll on tonight when Man City play Liverpool in EFL cup, and then there's the three days after Christmas Day in The Premier League. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-22 15:05 by crawdaddy.

Date: December 21, 2022 01:18

I appreciate he wants to only play for Norway because he is of Norwegian ancestry, but without Norway in this World Cup, it would have been interesting how far England could have gone with him Kane, and the test

Date: December 22, 2022 09:41

Honestman
Lots of talk in the medias since sunday to rate the best match ever in a World Cup.
Here's a list , the french sport newspaper l'Equipe did feel free to add some others :

- Uruguay-Brazil 1950
- Final England-West-Germany 1966
- Semi-Final Italy-West-Germany 1970
- Semi-Final France-West-Germany 1982
- Italy-Brazil 1982
- Quarter-Final France-Brazil 1986
- Quarter-Final Argentina-England 1986
- Semi-Final Germany-Brazil 2014
- Netherlands - Spain 2014
- Final Argentina-France 2022

Agree! All those finals and matches were great and deserve to be on this list!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 22, 2022 10:00

Taylor1
I appreciate he wants to only play for Norway because he is of Norwegian ancestry, but without Norway in this World Cup, it would have been interesting how far England could have gone with him Kane, and the test

Would Haaland have been eligible for England?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-22 10:01 by Topi.

Date: December 22, 2022 12:31

Topi
Taylor1

I believe so, since he was born in England

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 22, 2022 12:41

Taylor1

I believe so, since he was born in England[/quote]

He wouldn't be eligible, no. Nationality and Citizenship criteria changed after 1 January 1983. Prior to this date, you are British by birth. After this date, it's by descent. I suppose it would depend on his parents' status in the U.K. at the time of his birth, but I'm fairly positive there's no claim. He could've naturalised, but he's only recently joined Manchester City from residing in Germany.

To represent any British nation at sport, you have to be eligible to hold a British Passport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-22 12:43 by Big Al.

Date: December 23, 2022 02:13

Erling Haaland scored the first goal for Man City in a 3-2 win for them, and although was just listening on radio, sounds like a great game. thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 23, 2022 03:32

Taylor1

That's too much credit for CR7. smoking smiley

Date: December 24, 2022 08:49

Messi Christmas!

Date: January 25, 2023 00:42

Toru A
Congratulations to Argentina. It's starting to look like a World Cup.

Guess what smiling smiley

Date: January 25, 2023 03:54

Looking forward here in America to seeing Haaland play in the World Cup in2026.He’s pretty amazing

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223
Current Page: 23 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home