Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23
Re: OT: FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 19, 2022 00:07

World Cup was just prologue...bring on the World Jrs!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 00:19

Topi

Bring on the women's world cup next year! Canada actually has a chance in that one, unlike this one.

Listening to TSN after the game ended, not sure who the commentator is, British guy. He said not only is Messi the best soccer player ever, he's the best athlete ever! Guess he's never heard of Jordan, Gretzky, Ali, etc.

In all due honestly, as someone who doesn't follow soccer, I'd never heard of Messi until last year. I first saw his pic last year when he posed with 3 members of the Canadian women's Olympic gold team who played on PSG. During this World Cup, I've read articles about who is the goat, Messi or Ronaldo. To all the IORR'ers who follow the sport, your thoughts, either of them or someone else?

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 19, 2022 00:44

DGA35
Topi

Bring on the women's world cup next year! Canada actually has a chance in that one, unlike this one.

Listening to TSN after the game ended, not sure who the commentator is, British guy. He said not only is Messi the best soccer player ever, he's the best athlete ever! Guess he's never heard of Jordan, Gretzky, Ali, etc.

In all due honestly, as someone who doesn't follow soccer, I'd never heard of Messi until last year. I first saw his pic last year when he posed with 3 members of the Canadian women's Olympic gold team who played on PSG. During this World Cup, I've read articles about who is the goat, Messi or Ronaldo. To all the IORR'ers who follow the sport, your thoughts, either of them or someone else?

Messi.

Date: December 19, 2022 00:57

Looking forward the EC qualification France-Holland in March. Hopefully without penalties.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 19, 2022 01:20

My compliments to Argentina.
They were a cut above.

And congratulations to Pablo Aimar!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2022 03:39

DGA35
During this World Cup, I've read articles about who is the goat, Messi or Ronaldo. To all the IORR'ers who follow the sport, your thoughts, either of them or someone else?

The goat is Pelé. Second one is Cruijff. Then probably Messi/Maradona. Ronaldo (CR7) is a great player, but not nearly a goat, IMNSHO.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 03:42

How can you comparePele to Messi.Didn’t they play some 50 years apart in different eras?

Date: December 19, 2022 03:48

Koen
DGA35
During this World Cup, I've read articles about who is the goat, Messi or Ronaldo. To all the IORR'ers who follow the sport, your thoughts, either of them or someone else?

The goat is Pelé. Second one is Cruijff. Then probably Messi/Maradona. Ronaldo (CR7) is a great player, but not nearly a goat, IMNSHO.

Difficult to compare. Talent comes first. In the days of Pelé soccer was much slower. We cannot compare Bobby Fischer to Magnus Carlsen either. These days Chess players use computers to develop their understanding. Soccer players use up to date physical and mental insights to improve their playing skills. Just enjoy the game.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2022 05:25

Taylor1
How can you comparePele to Messi.Didn’t they play some 50 years apart in different eras?

True, however the word goat implies comparing different eras. But looking at today's era, Messi definitely is the best.

Date: December 19, 2022 05:45

Gotta call Messi the GOAT.

Well deserved World Cup for him.

Honestly, I have never seen a tournament like this or a final like this. If you chose not to watch, you missed out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2022 05:49

DGA35
Topi

Yeah I also heard that. He was full of superlatives, like best World Cup final ever. It was a great final, once we got to the 80th minute. Before that, it was one of the worst ever. First team to not take a shot on net in the first half, in a final, since 1966.

He also said Messi was not only the best soccer player ever, but best athlete ever. How ridiculous.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 19, 2022 07:56

After being presented with the Golden Glove Award during the awards ceremony, Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez in a disgusting display, put the hand-shaped trophy to his crotch and made a pumping gesture, shocking everyone in the stadium including the announcers on live tv.

Getty Images

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 10:33

The Sicilian
After being presented with the Golden Glove Award during the awards ceremony, Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez in a disgusting display, put the hand-shaped trophy to his crotch and made a pumping gesture, shocking everyone in the stadium including the announcers on live tv.

Getty Images
yes absolutely stupid and vulgar !

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 19, 2022 11:01

Paris75014
The Sicilian

Getty Images
yes absolutely stupid and vulgar !
Lol

Date: December 19, 2022 13:06

The Sicilian

Getty Images

At least he didn't kn...never mind.

Date: December 19, 2022 13:37

Koen
Taylor1

True, however the word goat implies comparing different eras. But looking at today's era, Messi definitely is the best.
Its different when you consider Argentina might not have won the World Cup in 1986if there was the replay they have today because then Marodona’s hand of god goal would have been disallowed. Whereas yesterday France nearly won the Cup on the hand penalty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-19 13:57 by Taylor1.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 14:17

I had to look up that story as the photo looked shopped. An unfortunate and unsportsmanlike move for sure by the young keeper. Kudos to Messi and the whole Argentina team for finishing the match and finally getting Messi to much deserved glory. I’ve always felt he was slightly better than Ronaldo so for me that debate was a non-starter. The greatest of all-time though?! Hard to not have Pele at the top of that list. A 3-time champ, he really is the reason why soccer is on the map in places like the US. Maradona was an incredible - albeit tortured - talent who deserves to be listed up there as well. It’s hard to say. Each era is different in the sport and for that reason it is hard to compare. Similarly with basketball here in the States and the constant debates about who the GOAT is there. I definitely think Messi is up there but better than those two I’ve previously mentioned? Probably not IMO.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 14:24

Taylor1

Yeahh, it's as crazy as comparing the Rolling Stones live in 2022 with the Rolling Stones live in 1972. Nobody would ever do such a thing...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 19, 2022 14:40

best game ever?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 15:23

I really think Messi is the best soccer player ever.
When I say that, I'm talking about his entire career, and I'm saying that he knows something that no one has ever done before.
I'm not talking about titles, I'm talking about his skills.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2022 15:53

hockenheim95
Taylor1

Yeahh, it's as crazy as comparing the Rolling Stones live in 2022 with the Rolling Stones live in 1972. Nobody would ever do such a thing...

Well, isn't comparing Pele and Maradona to Messi like comparing the Beatles and Michael Jackson to, say, Taylor Swift...

- Doxa

Date: December 19, 2022 16:42

Doxa
hockenheim95
Taylor1

Well, isn't comparing Pele and Maradona to Messi like comparing the Beatles and Michael Jackson to, say, Taylor Swift...

- Doxa
Ridiculous comparison.Messi , playing in a faster game, with better athletes and replay is arguably better than Maradona or Pele. Swift is a joke compared to the Stones or Beatles.Maybe a better analogy is comparing Pele and Maradona to Mario Balotelli

Date: December 19, 2022 16:46

hockenheim95
Taylor1

Comparing the Stones from one time period to another is comparing the same band to its past. Pele and Messi are 2 different players.Messi has played in an era where the players are faster stronger in better shapeand better coached. There is also more world competition The only thing different with the Stones since1972 is they are older and maybe the sound systems are better live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-19 16:47 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 19, 2022 16:58

What a great WC final match, full of emotions and condiments!
I enjoyed and suffered it a lot!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2022 19:16

Taylor1
Doxa
hockenheim95
Taylor1

- Doxa
Ridiculous comparison.Messi , playing in a faster game, with better athletes and replay is arguably better than Maradona or Pele. Swift is a joke compared to the Stones or Beatles.Maybe a better analogy is comparing Pele and Maradona to Mario Balotelli

C'mon, The Beatles or Michael Jackson, no matter how much they ruled the scene back in the 60's and the 80's wouldn't have a chance against Miss Swift in popular music these days. The game was so different back then, and they would sound terribly dated to dominate the charts now. But the question remains who would be Ronaldo? Drake? winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: December 19, 2022 19:21

Compliments Argentina, Honor France too
Sici

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 19, 2022 19:31

Martinez show with his gesture the other side of Argentina players.
It was aimed to french supporters from what I've read.
The video on YT after the game with Martinez teasing Mbappe is the same 1 peso joke-act.

HMN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 19, 2022 20:06

Koen
DGA35

Exactly my thoughts.

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 20:21

Honestman
Martinez show with his gesture the other side of Argentina players.
It was aimed to french supporters from what I've read.
The video on YT after the game with Martinez teasing Mbappe is the same 1 peso joke-act.
he did that bad gesture because, according to him, french supporters booed him during the game or the penalties I don't remember.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 21:08

Koen
DGA35

I actually forgot about Cruyff. I could go with this assessment. Not sure if I put Messi or Maradona 3rd. It's a tough call really. If memory serves, this is Messi's only WC final, correct? I know they were ousted in the last 2 Cups before the Finals. I can't recall 2010 though, but I think it was also an early exit, as the team wasn't that good back then. So on straight Finals appearances, Maradona has a slight edge. Goals scored heavily favors Messi. Skills-wise, I think that also falls to Messi. So I would conclude Messi would probably be #3, followed by Maradona.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home