Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23
Re: OT: FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 14:22

Things are getting more and more serious now so let's carry on playing.

in a few hours, we'll watch Netherlands vs USA.

So my bet is : 2 - 1 for the Dutch (two goals from Gakpo) at the end of regular time.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 3, 2022 14:42

I can see 2-1 NED as well. And, sadly, 3-0 ARG.

But I will cheer for the underdogs!

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: December 3, 2022 15:06

bv
Trust VAR. They see more than us.

I do always wonder why people spend time discussing millimeter precision and what was in or out or half an inch offside or not. Football is not an exact science. It is a combination of rules, players and the referees. In the end, the result is what it is.

correct bv
From the point of view of the VAR, the ball was not completely out, so this decision applies!
Sure, that's kind of unfortunate, but more than discussing this one situation, the german players should ask themselves why they stopped playing in the Japan game after about 60 minutes....

It was more unfortunate/inaudible why the VAR Uruguay did not award a penalty after the foul against Cavani, unfortunately a German team was also responsible here.
It is also inaudible why in the last round the already qualified teams played with a B-Team and all lost (France, Spain, Brazil, Portugal)

Anyway, my sympathies (and I'm German) are now with the "Three Lions", England should finally get the cup again (Mick should show up in the stadium again at some point, or not ?)

However, none of the teams that are now in the round of 16 were able to convince in all 3 games.
Despite all the criticism of Qatar for everything around it - in purely sporting terms it is balanced and surprising like any previous tournament.

I'm looking forward to the remaining World Cup games and I'm hoping of the semi-finals :
BRA vs ARG
ENG vs SPA

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:10

The rules of the games are defining how the teams are playing. When Brazil are ready for the 1/8 games before their game #3 in the first round, then there is absolutely no reason for playing with a strong team. Players do need rest, and sure it is feeling like bad for the sport, but in the end each coach is in charge of his own team.

Defensive play in football is extremely boring. If it is your own team, and they play defensive in order to maintain a result, then it may seem fine, but for those of us who look at a game purely for the entertainment, it is simply boring football.

Now it is getting more serious, and I am looking forward to see great play by Brazil, Argentina, England, France, The Netherlands and Spain, among others. Then Japan is a big surprise, we will see how far they will get.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:24

bv
The rules of the games are defining how the teams are playing. When Brazil are ready for the 1/8 games before their game #3 in the first round, then there is absolutely no reason for playing with a strong team. Players do need rest, and sure it is feeling like bad for the sport, but in the end each coach is in charge of his own team.

Defensive play in football is extremely boring. If it is your own team, and they play defensive in order to maintain a result, then it may seem fine, but for those of us who look at a game purely for the entertainment, it is simply boring football.

Now it is getting more serious, and I am looking forward to see great play by Brazil, Argentina, England, France, The Netherlands and Spain, among others. Then Japan is a big surprise, we will see how far they will get.

In general defensive play is boring in most sports. Sometimes in American football defensive play can be fun except they have been changing the rules in favor of offensive play for the TV ratings. I went to a baseball playoff game in September where no one scored until the 18th inning (twice as long as a normal game). 6.5 hour game. It was pretty brutal haha, especially when my team lost!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:51

I'm ready for the Netherlands - USA smileys with beer

Date: December 3, 2022 17:03

Oeps

Date: December 3, 2022 17:31

1-0

Date: December 3, 2022 17:46

2-0

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2022 17:47

US done most likely

Date: December 3, 2022 17:49

Topi
I can see 2-1 NED as well. And, sadly, 3-0 ARG.

But I will cheer for the underdogs!
I forgot

Argentina : 2
Australia : 0

Date: December 3, 2022 17:51

Finally the Dutch team starts to play football. A bit....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 3, 2022 17:56

Too many mistakes for the Americans. They're in a hole and they won't be able to get out. They blew some great opportunities, then Tyler Adams loafing down the field instead of running with his man allowing the Dutch an easy goal. What a disappointment.

Date: December 3, 2022 17:58

bv
The Sicilian
Paris75014
Finally, it seems that the ball was not completely out cos the most extreme roundness of the ball was just above the line.

here is a pic from twitter :

Image #5 shows the ball clearly out. Your pic shows his ankle on the ball as in #4. In image #5 the ball is over the line and the ball is upwards of his shin. Look at the gap between the bottom of his shoe and the ball.

The VAR room have got pictures from above. Then they see angels and info not seen from sideways cameras. The ball was never 100% out. As seen from above the ball was still half an inch or so or a cm from passing 100% through the technical line which is defining the actual "dead line".

Trust VAR. They see more than us.

I do always wonder why people spend time discussing millimeter precision and what was in or out or half an inch offside or not. Football is not an exact science. It is a combination of rules, players and the referees. In the end, the result is what it is.

BV, if the game didn't need to be an exact science they wouldn't have replay. But they do.

Date: December 3, 2022 18:52

The Sicilian

BV, if the game didn't need to be an exact science they wouldn't have replay. But they do.

For more than 99% of all football games in the world there is no VAR or replay, it is all about the rules, the players, and the referee plus the two linesmen. Then you have the big money games like the world championships, they have VAR because we do not want these "hand of God" events like we had in the past.

Bjornulf

Date: December 3, 2022 18:53

no surprise, the "FlyingDutchTeam" won the game.

But some congratulations to USA who showed some good things.

Date: December 3, 2022 18:53

3-1 Yeah.................................

Date: December 3, 2022 18:55

We won the game but we need to improve rapidly. This level is not good enough to say the least thumbs down

Date: December 3, 2022 18:56

Congratulations to The Netherlands. USA did a great game too, but the orange were a better team.

Bjornulf

Date: December 3, 2022 19:14

Ball possession is key against the better teams like Argentina or France, and the Dutch team gives it away too easy and combinations are sloppy and slow. Second half a bit better We are a counter team now. Winning is one thing, but the Dutch fans want to see good football as well.. There is room for improvement, we gonna need it.. Up to next Friday hopefully : Australia.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 19:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 3, 2022 19:18

The Americans were the faster team but the Dutch had more skill and made the most of their gifted opportunities.

Date: December 3, 2022 19:24

USA played well ....but the Dutch played better and took all the opportunities

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 3, 2022 20:43

bv
For more than 99% of all football games in the world there is no VAR or replay, it is all about the rules, the players, and the referee plus the two linesmen...they have VAR because we do not want these "hand of God" events like we had in the past.

+1 thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 20:49

crholmstrom
bv

In general defensive play is boring in most sports. Sometimes in American football defensive play can be fun except they have been changing the rules in favor of offensive play for the TV ratings. I went to a baseball playoff game in September where no one scored until the 18th inning (twice as long as a normal game). 6.5 hour game. It was pretty brutal haha, especially when my team lost!

Exactly! I mentioned earlier in this thread how many 0-0 games there were in this world cup. In the NHL, I remember the NJ Devils traditionally played a defensive style, very boring to watch. I'd much rather see a 6-5 game than a 1-0 game.

Date: December 3, 2022 21:16

My main sports have always been ice hockey. It is fast, with lots of rules, and it is really hard to play defensive. It takes 2-3 seconds from one goal to the other, playing defensive is simply very dangerous.

Football is great when the teams move fast and forward, teams like Argentina and Brazil, but it is too easy to "hold the ball" for a good team, which is simply boring to watch, unless you only aim for victory, or some other obscure reason, like when points and goals are equal, teams play for zero yellow cards, happened earlier this week, quite crazy way of playing.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 3, 2022 22:08

Come on England.
Will be wishing them on to have a great game and winning against Senegal on Sunday.
Over here in España for a while and not much in the way of UK TV etc. and will hear the game on Radio, if not TV.
I'm travelling around and not sure if and when I got access to watch some of the games.smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 23:02

Pound for pound , inch for inch , Messi greatest athlete in sport’s history

Date: December 3, 2022 23:13

Congrats to Argentina. Holland has a problem now: Messi. I wish I could turn back the clock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-04 00:11 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 4, 2022 03:30

Congratulations to Argentina. It's starting to look like a World Cup.
I believe today's MVP would be Marcos Acuña, who looks like an actor of Scorsese movie or The Sopranos.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: December 4, 2022 04:06

bv
My main sports have always been ice hockey. It is fast, with lots of rules, and it is really hard to play defensive. It takes 2-3 seconds from one goal to the other, playing defensive is simply very dangerous.

Ice hockey has always been my favourite sport as well. I would love to see the day whereby several more countries in the world develop their ice hockey skills to warrent a competitive global tournament similar in size and prestige to the men's FIFA tournament (which I have so far found to be quite entertaining - for both the men's and women's tournaments). Unfortunately, with ice hockey right now, there are only maybe a dozen countries which can exhibit superior skills and then there's a significant talent drop-off. This is understandable of course, given the higher cost and specialization of equipment, and with the sport only being accessible in mostly northern climates. But one can dream, and everything takes time to develop or grow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-04 04:16 by sf37.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home