Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 23
Re: OT: FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 27, 2022 13:39

Ok, Japan, let's go get that tying goal.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 27, 2022 14:03

2022 World Cup group tiebreakers: What happens when teams are level on points (ESPN)

1. Group points
This is the easy one. Teams are first ordered by total points from their three matches. It's 3 points for a win, 1 points for a draw and zero for a defeat.

2. Group goal difference
Unlike in UEFA competitions like the Champions League, head-to-head record isn't the next tiebreaker. It's just basic group goal difference -- the net total of goals scored minus goals conceded.

3. Group goals scored
If goal difference is the same, the team with the most goals scored in the group stage will be ranked highest.

This is where it starts to get a little more complicated.

4. Head-to-head record

If teams have an identical group record for points, goal difference and goals scored, we move on to head to head to separate them.

If two teams identical

This is simple, as you look at the result of that one group game. Did one of two teams win that match? If so, they will be ranked highest. If it was a draw, we move directly on to point 5 to split them.

If three teams identical

This is more complicated, as you can't just use individual results because there's three matches to take into account. Effectively, you create a mini-league of just the three games involving the three nations.

This mini league is ranked by
4a) points
4b) goal difference
4c) goals scored

If only two teams are still level at the end of this stage, direct head-to-head is not applied and these two teams alone move to point 5. The third team is now locked in position.

If all three teams are still level, the order is decided by point 5.

If all four teams identical

It won't be possible to separate them on head to head and the group would be decided on point 5.

5. Fair play record
If any teams still have an identical record after the head-to-head stage, positions are decided by fair play record.

- yellow card: minus 1 point
- indirect red card: minus 3 points
- direct red card: minus 4 points
- yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points

Only one of the above deductions is applied to a player in one match.

The team with the most points is ranked highest.

The only time fair play record has been needed to separate teams came at the 2018 World Cup.

6. Drawing of lots
If it's still level after fair play points are tallied, the only step left is drawing of lots.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2022 14:24

I like that change that the after the points calculated the goal difference is the next criterion. I think that is more fare since it takes every game into consideration and thereby each goal had a point.

But Costa Rica made Germany feel much better I suppose... A weak performance by Japan.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-27 14:25 by Doxa.

Date: November 27, 2022 14:26

Yeah, Germany can actually afford to lose tonight.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 27, 2022 16:52

Doxa
I like that change that the after the points calculated the goal difference is the next criterion. I think that is more fare since it takes every game into consideration and thereby each goal had a point.

But Costa Rica made Germany feel much better I suppose... A weak performance by Japan.

- Doxa

That’s always what dictates positioning when teams are level on points, right? Man City have won the Premier League over Man Utd one season, as they had a better goal difference.

Date: November 27, 2022 16:56

Go home, World Cup,you're drunk!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 27, 2022 17:02

Belgium - Morocco final result 0 - 2

Belgium were working hard but so did Morocco. An excellent game. Sorry to all my friends from Belgium, but Morocco were simply impressive, hard working, and the two goals were both excellent, nothing less.

Bjornulf

Date: November 27, 2022 17:05

Morocco-Belgium 2-0. 2 Great goals. Looks like the Belgium team is worn out. They should have striked 4 years ago.

Date: November 27, 2022 17:09

That didn't do Canada any favors.

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 17:11

Gentlemen,

that was a very pleasant game and the third big surprise of this world cup that I like more and more !

Congratulations to Morocco who deserved to win but weak performance from Belgium.

Tonight might be a hard night for Germany against Spain.

Date: November 27, 2022 18:03

Well there ya go, Canada! That's a start.

Date: November 27, 2022 18:11

yes the fastest goal so far !
already 1 to 0 for Canada.

Date: November 27, 2022 18:39

Croatia dangerously coming back against Canada. 1-1 at 36:00.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-27 18:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: November 27, 2022 18:52

and now Croatia is leading 2 to 1....very intense game !

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 27, 2022 18:53

Costa Rica? There´s no easy money to make in this World Cup...No more bets for me. cool smiley

Date: November 27, 2022 19:00

Edit : Croatia - Canada 2-1 at 66 Km/H, half-time. If it goes on like this it looks like Canada against this experienced Croatia is not going to make it. We shell see.

Date: November 27, 2022 19:45

Oh, well. I’m sure Canada could beat Croatia at ice hockey winking smiley

Date: November 27, 2022 20:00

Men vs boys out there.

Date: November 27, 2022 20:05

At least Canada won the Davis Cup over Australia.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: November 27, 2022 20:11

I have a a soft spot for Canada, having resided in Toronto for a spell. I suppose those that care should be proud they, at least, qualified for the finals. First time since ‘86.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 27, 2022 20:26

Yes clearly outclassed by Croatia...
But we did score our 1st world cup goal ever ! Alfonso !
great experience for 2026 I believe we are automatically qualified as a host country.

Date: November 27, 2022 20:34

umakmehrd
great experience for 2026 I believe we are automatically qualified as a host country.
yes and there will be 48 countries instead of 32 at the moment.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 22:02

Paris75014
umakmehrd
yes and there will be 48 countries instead of 32 at the moment.

48 Countries? Maybe Scotland have a chance of being there grinning smiley. But seriously 48 is a ridiculous number. Until Argentina 78 it was 16 teams.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2022 22:13

umakmehrd

Yes to all.

Date: November 27, 2022 22:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-27 22:34 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 27, 2022 22:57

Germany - Spain, best game I have seen in this tournament till now. . A lot of action from both sides. This is football. thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 23:01

umakmehrd

James Duthie on TSN is receiving a lot of criticism online for saying Davies goal was the biggest moment in Canadian soccer history! Sitting 2 seats down is Janine Beckie, who just won Olympic gold for Canada last year! Also, Christine Sinclair has scored more international goals than anyone else, male or female.
We get our asses handed to us 4-1 yet we finally score our first goal and everyone is celebrating it.

Date: November 27, 2022 23:02

DGA35
umakmehrd

James Duthie on TSN is receiving a lot of criticism online for saying Davies goal was the biggest moment in Canadian soccer history! Sitting 2 seats down is Janine Beckie, who just won Olympic gold for Canada last year! Also, Christine Sinclair has scored more international goals than anyone else, male or female.
We get our asses handed to us 4-1 yet we finally score our first goal and everyone is celebrating it.

Agreed.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 27, 2022 23:13

Is there a reason why England is the only team which has already won the World Cup for which the star is almost invisible on the official shirt ?
White star on white shirt ?
Just wonderin'...

HMN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 23:22

treaclefingers
DGA35
umakmehrd

Agreed.

Julia Grosso, from Vancouver and now playing with Juventus, scoring the winning penalty kick to give Canada the Olympic gold medal last year is the biggest moment in Canadian soccer history! It will be until the men's team wins gold or World Cup or perhaps if the women can win the world cup next year.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home