Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1968 NME
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2022 08:07

Just found a short snippet of the program. Silent, someone's home camera, a little blurry, for a nice chunk of the Stones at the end. What a strange look for them. They look fine but Mick is in the middle, but all three guitarists are stage left of him.

What I found shocking is how together Brian looks. In sharp contrast to what he'll look like in just a few short months. Has it been determined that there's an audio of their two numbers out there? I'd love to hear how this lineup played Jumping Jack Flash, so close to the single's actual release. I know they played it at the Rock and Roll Circus, but Brian was fading at that point and they were exhausted. I'd love to hear how they played JJF when they felt they had something to prove, having been off the road for more than a year.

Re: 1968 NME
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 18, 2022 08:43

I remember some article about JJF, saying they played it once in London. And it also mentioned, there is no recording of it. But there is a picture of it. It is printed on a book cover: The complete songbook, released by "Zweitausendeins Verlag" in Germany in 1981.
It's this one:

[www.ebay.com]

May be the article was written here on IORR. But I'm not sure. It's at least 10 years ago.

Here you find a video, released by Abkco with a different mix and a video, which I didn't know before:

[youtu.be]

[www.guitarplayer.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 10:53 by micha063.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 18, 2022 09:21

24FPS
Just found a short snippet of the program. Silent, someone's home camera, a little blurry, for a nice chunk of the Stones at the end. What a strange look for them. They look fine but Mick is in the middle, but all three guitarists are stage left of him.

What I found shocking is how together Brian looks. In sharp contrast to what he'll look like in just a few short months. Has it been determined that there's an audio of their two numbers out there? I'd love to hear how this lineup played Jumping Jack Flash, so close to the single's actual release. I know they played it at the Rock and Roll Circus, but Brian was fading at that point and they were exhausted. I'd love to hear how they played JJF when they felt they had something to prove, having been off the road for more than a year.

i don't think there was any professional recording made audio or video

at the request of the stones themselves i believe

this video film to have been shot by someone in the audience

but who knows maybe someone made a recording that hasn't surfaced yet

i'd also be very interested in how jjf sounded with brian in good shape

Date: November 18, 2022 11:09

It was played with Brian Jones at
May 12th, 1968 at New Musical Express Winners 1968.

They played JJF and Satisfaction. But there is no recording.

Info, pictures and a silent video:

[rollingstonesdata.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 11:45 by micha063.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2022 12:03

ProfessorWolf

A segment, at least, of the Stones' performance in '68 was filmed and shown on regional television, I believe. It was the 1966 Poll Winners' whereby both the Beatles and Stones instructed their performances to not be filmed.

Date: November 18, 2022 16:25

Big Al
ProfessorWolf

A segment, at least, of the Stones' performance in '68 was filmed and shown on regional television, I believe. It was the 1966 Poll Winners' whereby both the Beatles and Stones instructed their performances to not be filmed.

right i mixed up the years

sorry

any idea if that film still exists?

Date: November 18, 2022 17:18

ProfessorWolf
Big Al
ProfessorWolf

right i mixed up the years

sorry

any idea if that film still exists?

Yes, it's without sound. You can find it here:

[rollingstonesdata.com]

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: November 18, 2022 17:25

NME 1968 was not offically filmed or recorded because the Stones were not scheduled to appear......it was a last minute, surprise appearance.

What is interesting is the development of the amps used in 1968 compared with their previous appearance in 1966.

The audience filmed silent colour clip of 1968 is the only film to have surfaced so far.

Date: November 19, 2022 10:09

have any rumours ever circulated about more film or any audio existing?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 19, 2022 12:24

Roger congratulates hardest-man-working-in-show-business Mick for the occasion

They had a bond together (yeah, I know, it's a cheap shot)....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 12:32 by The Joker.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: November 19, 2022 18:52

Cover from "TRS Songbook Complete", 2nd edition, released by Zweitausendeins:

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: November 19, 2022 19:07

Jagger said of Roger, "he was a Saint that day in 1968, but we truly Bonded in the 70's!".

The Joker

Date: November 19, 2022 19:14

The 1968 NME Poll Winners’ is definitely one of the Holy Grail’s. The pictures, alone, are fabulous. This was their first live performance in the U.K. since the 1966 British Tour, which I think ended in the November of that year. I suspect their surprise performance was meant to be signify their ‘comeback’ after all the woes of the preceding year. 1968 and Jumpin’ Jack Flash certainly did signify a new dawning, yet sadly, a certain founding member’s light was dimming.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 19, 2022 19:23

Can anyone tell what guitar part Brian is playing from the position of his hands on the guitar. Brian had declined by the time of the Rock n Roll Circus, but maybe part of his poor appearance there was because they went on so late giving him plenty of time to get wasted

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 19, 2022 19:40

As far as I'm aware the 1968 Pollwinners show was filmed by Southern TV and if any film exists it will be in the vaults of whoever holds their archive.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 19, 2022 21:11

Big Al
The 1968 NME Poll Winners’ is definitely one of the Holy Grail’s. The pictures, alone, are fabulous. This was their first live performance in the U.K. since the 1966 British Tour, which I think ended in the November of that year. I suspect their surprise performance was meant to be signify their ‘comeback’ after all the woes of the preceding year. 1968 and Jumpin’ Jack Flash certainly did signify a new dawning, yet sadly, a certain founding member’s light was dimming.

I remember so well the critics on JJF in the media in 1968 ("yet another Satisfaction lookalike", etc.). Man, so many hated the success of the Stones. Luckily JJF became a smash hit, shutting down all those mouths (my goodness, my Dutch tongue is slipping over mouth with an s grinning smiley).
I' m sure Brian loved the song and its success, but sadly he didn't enjoy it long enough.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2022 23:20

Man, so many hated the success of the Stones.

..... still do .... ya see it hear nearly every day

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2022 23:46

Rockman
Man, so many hated the success of the Stones.

..... still do .... ya see it hear nearly every day

you'd think that people would be big enough not to be made to feel inadequate by the success of some blues cover bandwinking smiley

Date: November 19, 2022 23:49

The GR
As far as I'm aware the 1968 Pollwinners show was filmed by Southern TV and if any film exists it will be in the vaults of whoever holds their archive.

so maybe this is a stupid question but does anyone know who currently holds the rights to there archive and if we know that would it be possible to inquire if this footage is in it or ever was?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 19, 2022 23:53

soundboard
Jagger said of Roger, "he was a Saint that day in 1968, but we truly Bonded in the 70's!".

The Joker

Roger said "I'll never make a Saint of you". Mick shrugged "Sounds good. I can work that out."

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 20, 2022 00:12

The GR

I remember watching this on TV at home (we lived in the Southern TV area). If only we'd had some means of recording TV shows in those days!

Date: November 20, 2022 00:34

Aquamarine
The GR

I remember watching this on TV at home (we lived in the Southern TV area). If only we'd had some means of recording TV shows in those days!

how did they sound?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 20, 2022 02:24

According to "It's Only R n R..The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones" (Karnbach-Beanson) it was taped May 12,1968 and b'casted in the UK May 18,1968 on "Time For Blackburn" and (on the same date in the UK) "Big Beat '68. Why no copy survives in anyone's guess, I suppose and of course I am only relying on the accuracy of the book.

Date: November 20, 2022 09:27

scottkeef
According to "It's Only R n R..The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones" (Karnbach-Beanson) it was taped May 12,1968 and b'casted in the UK May 18,1968 on "Time For Blackburn" and (on the same date in the UK) "Big Beat '68. Why no copy survives in anyone's guess, I suppose and of course I am only relying on the accuracy of the book.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I could’ve sworn that I’d read it was shown on regional television. I hadn’t read about ‘Big Beat ‘68’, though.

Date: November 20, 2022 11:44

Aquamarine
The GR

Wow! So, a recording does exist or at least it did! I hope it will be shown one day!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2022 13:52

scottkeef

Two different broadcasts on two different stations mean that at least two copies existed. One would think that at least one copy must have survived, speaking of copies, not to speak of the original material that was used to produce these two copies.

It's good to see that ABKCO and the Stones are working together on the restored versions of their 60's promo clips so there's still hope that sooner or later they will deal with "Holy Grail"-items like this 1968 NME performance.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 06:19

The Joker

Why would Mick win this award in 1968 when the Stones were pretty inactive the previous year with all the drug busts going on and no touring except the quick spring tour of Europe?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2022 07:15

Best go-cart driver in Dartford ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 21, 2022 08:01

DGA35
The Joker

Why would Mick win this award in 1968 when the Stones were pretty inactive the previous year with all the drug busts going on and no touring except the quick spring tour of Europe?

NME readers would’ve voted for him - or was it the Stones, as a group? - in one of the end-of-year polls. I’m not sure who won what that year, though.

Date: November 21, 2022 08:07

The New Musical Express Poll Winners if 1968

World Male Singer - Elvis Presley

World Female Singer - Lulu
World Vocal Group - Beatles
World Musical Personality - Elvis Presley
British Vocal Group - Beatles
British Female Singer - Lulu
Top Disc Jockey - Jimmy Savile
Best TV/ Radio Show - ‘Top Of The Pops’
Best New Group - Love Affair
British Vocal Personality - Cliff Ricahrd
British R & B Group - Rolling Stones
Best British Disc This Year - Beatles – ‘Hey Jude’
British Male Singer - Tom Jones
New Disc Singer - Mary Hopkins
British Instrumental Unit - The Shadows

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home