Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick on downside of fame
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 17, 2022 19:26

[classicsdujour.com]

Found this on the Dylan Expecting Rain site.

Interesting story about Mick on a plane.

Re: Mick on downside of fame
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 17, 2022 19:33

Interest tale about people sucking, ha. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 17, 2022 20:40

I always think about George Harrison in an interview saying the fans gave him their money and screams but The Beatles gave their nervous system. He was a cool guy. But yeah no wonder these guys probably don't like us too much.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2022 22:08

Mick loves the fans, he really does. The fame as such must be a drag, though. The unfinished 2002 song "You don't wanna be me" was maybe just about that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 17, 2022 22:14

The Beatles got the worst of it. I'm still amazed at how many unseen photographs pop up. The Stones had a lot of photos, but nothing like the Beatles. I think Brian always had some kind of mental instability, but it was exacerbated by fame. Given the chance to mature, many of these famous stars came to grips with fame, and learned how to deal with it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 17, 2022 23:07

I think that it would be reasonable to say that McCartney embraces his fame.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2022 23:19

Send It To me
Interest tale about people sucking, ha.

I think it's a mix of entitlement and bad education.

I can tell you from 1st-hand accounts that Mick could walk the streets of Amboise (the "big" city next to his Touraine "chateau") stop and sit for a coffee and go to the local "Home Depot" without being annoyed ever.

"Hey dude ya buy 2x4's for your crib?? Gimme an autograph!"
Nah, would never happen...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 17, 2022 23:30

dcba
Send It To me
Interest tale about people sucking, ha.

I think it's a mix of entitlement and bad education.

I can tell you from 1st-hand accounts that Mick could walk the streets of Amboise (the "big" city next to his Touraine "chateau") stop and sit for a coffee and go to the local "Home Depot" without being annoyed ever.

"Hey dude ya buy 2x4's for your crib?? Gimme an autograph!"
Nah, would never happen...

That's probably why he likes living there. Which airport does he take to get in and out, do you know?
(Just curious, don't plan to visit.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: November 17, 2022 23:33

I recall Charlie saying that he himself could easily live without fame but Mick could not. I believe it depends on what kind of mood Mick is in at the moment. No one is "on" all the time.

I recently saw a video clip with Mark Knopfler asking rhetorically what good comes out of fame. Add to that the Stones are not just famous in Europe but internationally. It must be very difficult to catch a break.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2022 23:34

Sympathize with Mick know the feeling

Get the same when we restock
the libraries in women's prisons

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 18, 2022 04:40

Rockman
Sympathize with Mick know the feeling

Get the same when we restock
the libraries in women's prisons

hot smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2022 05:59

Send It To me
Interest tale about people sucking, ha. Thanks for posting.

Karens in 1985!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2022 07:09

CaptainCorella
I think that it would be reasonable to say that McCartney embraces his fame.

I think you could say that now, but I think he was having a hard time in the late 60s, until he married Linda.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 18, 2022 12:17

angee
Which airport does he take to get in and out, do you know?
(Just curious, don't plan to visit.)

I think the Tours airport is the one he uses. The distance from Tours to Amboise is only 27km. And it's a stroll along the beautiful Loire river so it must be nice too. Mick's a clever fellow!

And yeah the locals pride themselves on keeping Mick's life private. At Poce they point the visitors looking for Mick's house to the wrong direction. grinning smiley

He's been "adopted" as they say in Touraine. That's for sure.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 18, 2022 15:23

Can't remember where now but recently I saw a video filmed of Mick when he was in the middle of a meal in a restaurant. The two people had obviously walked right up and asked him if they could take it, as he was shown saying "are you ready?" before going into a pose of waving, smiling, saying hi and making a few inane remarks. Then he went back to his half-eaten food. Perhaps he agreed to it to avoid another situation like on that plane.

One time I found myself sitting by fluke in a restaurant a few tables away from Keith, Ronnie, Steve and Bernard, with Darryl, Tim and friends also at other tables. I couldn't believe afterwards how the first question invariably asked by people was whether I got a selfie or autographs, which for me would have been a complete no-no and was furthest from my thoughts. Beats me why I would ever think of wanting to rudely interrupt any celebs in the middle of eating and relaxed conversation. I'm sure it would quite rightly go down like a lead balloon - which is what Mick's reaction looked like in that video before and after his posing just to be nice and I can't say I blame him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 15:31 by Beast.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 18, 2022 16:11

Idiots have been around as long as the human race is "ruling" this globe.
I remember reading (it may have been a story by Bill) that the Stones were sitting at a small AirPort terrace late 64/early 65(?) when a girl spotted them, approached them and pulled hair from the head of one of the band members (could have been Brian or Bill himself). Utterly insane.
Ah well, you can't really blame those idiots (or can you grinning smiley). Just blame Mother Nature for messing up DNA in the process of babies on their way from being a fetus to becoming human beings (including idiots). Sad, sad, sad.

confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 18, 2022 16:37

georgie48
Idiots have been around as long as the human race is "ruling" this globe.
I remember reading (it may have been a story by Bill) that the Stones were sitting at a small AirPort terrace late 64/early 65(?) when a girl spotted them, approached them and pulled hair from the head of one of the band members (could have been Brian or Bill himself). Utterly insane.
Ah well, you can't really blame those idiots (or can you grinning smiley). Just blame Mother Nature for messing up DNA in the process of babies on their way from being a fetus to becoming human beings (including idiots). Sad, sad, sad.

confused smiley

there's a scene in charlie is my darling where keith is standing in maybe a hotel lobby (i'm not certain) and a girl comes up behind him and pulls out some of his hair and he yells OW! in pain

seems like this might have been a common issue back then that they had to deal with

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 18, 2022 16:46

oh also let's not forget the guy who punched mick in the face at altamont while screaming i hate you

i can imagine that his fame has definitely had its downsides

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 18, 2022 16:53

ProfessorWolf
oh also let's not forget the guy who punched mick in the face at altamont while screaming i hate you

i can imagine that his fame has definitely had its downsides

Yes. Several famous people withdrew from attention. You need to be a tough cookie to deal with those excesses. Yes, I remember photos in one of Bill's books, where Mick was knocked flat by, I think, a photographer. He probably took karate lessons after that winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:07

I think Keith has said, as an introvert, he withdrew into drugs to avoid the more intrusive effects of fame.
Mick rather enjoys the attention, "loves the fans," as Nikkei said above, until it is all too much, which is probably most of the time, these days. cool smiley

Thanks, dcba, on the situation near one of his homes.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 19:11 by angee.

Date: November 18, 2022 19:15

I agree Paul McCartney really loves who he is, and why not. Also, I really like when Mick intoduces Ronnie at concerts saying he loves it and he loves you. There's some humour/sarcasm in there I really appreciate.smiling smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 19, 2022 10:26

I wouldn't go anywhere without bodyguards around me. The way people now authorise themselves to do whatever anti-social thing comes into their heads, I'd always be worried about being attacked or killed.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 19, 2022 10:43

I recently saw a pic of Keith at a restaurant table and it was clear that it was a paparazzi pic simply by the bone-chilling stare that Keith threw back at the lens. It should be noted though that this is a fame issue that has nothing to do with us the fans. Anyway like Bliss said, the way people these days seem to think it's okay to do whatever, basically anyone can get phone-filmed and photographed without consent or even noticing. Famous people on the receiving end of that either embrace it or really need to retreat into a bubble. The Stones have seen it all and are probably past caring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 10:44 by Nikkei.

Date: November 19, 2022 22:56

I just realised that Mick Jagger is not on the front picture of iorr.org since their last gig. It's only Ron Wood and Keith.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 20, 2022 00:45

Given that Lennon was murdered on the street in New York outside his apartment block, criticising any of these guys who take precautions is wholly out of order.

Earlier I noted that McCartney embraces his fame. He does. But he's also careful. Some years back I was involved in organising a public appearance by him and two days before the event I spent a long time with his security guy walking through the location checking our arrangements.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 20, 2022 03:21

Makes sense to be careful. Look what happened to Salman Rushdie not that long ago. He ended up losing the sight in one eye and the use of one hand, which is not what you'd call lucky but better than the alternative.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 20, 2022 05:04

I think a lot of celebs don't mind signing autographs in certain situations to real fans - people who genuinely appreciate them for their art, but it's the vultures who want 10 things signed so they can sell them on ebay that make people like Ringo and McCartney say "that's it - no more autographs to anyone, ever".

There's an interesting scene in the doc 'The Love We Make', where McCartney is being followed by an ebay autograph hound, and confronts the guy. It's certainly awkward watching someone who's worth a billion dollars tell some poor hustler on a bike that his woes are not his (Paul's) problem, and he won't sign anything for him, but I guess when everyone wants something from you constantly, you have to put up walls and not carry the world on your shoulders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-20 05:06 by mosthigh.

Date: November 20, 2022 11:02

CaptainCorella
Earlier I noted that McCartney embraces his fame. He does. But he's also careful. Some years back I was involved in organising a public appearance by him and two days before the event I spent a long time with his security guy walking through the location checking our arrangements.

This is good to know. I see a lot of photos of him seemingly alone in public and of course it worries me. Because of the John Lennon situation. And George too, sometimes I forget he was attacked in his home.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 20, 2022 11:11

TheflyingDutchman
I just realised that Mick Jagger is not on the front picture of iorr.org since their last gig. It's only Ron Wood and Keith.

Those pictures are rotating at all times. If you have been on IORR for more than six months you should know. Please do not make any conspiracy theories about Mick missing on the IORR front page.

Bjornulf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home