Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones early CDs - which is which?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 16, 2022 18:25

I am trying to put some order in my music with the help of Discogs, but I find it extremely hard to identify what I have, especially the early Decca cds.

I am not a collector, I simply bought whatever I found from time to time at normal music stores (when we still had them). Mainly here in Milan where I live, but also around the world when on vacation. In the early days, CDs were quite expensive, so my purchases were scattered in a long time frame ...

Problem is, I scan the barcode and multiple results turn up, but none seem to match 100% what I have, could be the released date, the manufacturing place etc.

IS there some form of reliable guide around on the internet I can use to sort out what I have?

C

Re: Rolling Stones early CDs - which is which?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 16, 2022 21:04

If you mean sorting chronologically, wiki has a nice list:
Wiki - Stones discrography

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 16, 2022 22:46

This is rather complex problem. One can not answer it in simple and short words.
Decca - London period CDs were issued and re-issued multiple times in different countries and by different companies. For example, CD The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones [London 820 047-2] was re-issued/re-pressed in Germany between 1984 and 1994 at least 20 times (if you only consider combination booklet-back cover - CD label - pressing plant). So, you know it is really hard to date a CD without looking at tons of details.
Some rather basic analysis (and not 100% correct) can be found here
[www.stay-tuned-to-sw.de]
'Basic' because life is much more complex than that. Also, French pressings on that site are completely screwed in terms of timeline.
Additional information could be found on rollingandre's site.
[rollingandre.jouwweb.nl]

If you'll show an image of the CD of interest it would be possible to identify the pressing and estimate the year of production. But you'll need to provide also matrix numbers and matrix strings.

Like 820 047-2 03# YS MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC IFPI 0172.
This is matrix from a CD The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones (1964). The CD [London 820 047-2] was pressed from stampler YS, that was prepared from the 3rd glass master (03#) in Germany at Hanover pressing plant in late 1994.
So, you know, it is a bit complex winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-16 22:49 by ironbelly.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 17, 2022 00:38

ironbelly
This is rather complex problem. One can not answer it in simple and short words.
Decca - London period CDs were issued and re-issued multiple times in different countries and by different companies. For example, CD The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones [London 820 047-2] was re-issued/re-pressed in Germany between 1984 and 1994 at least 20 times (if you only consider combination booklet-back cover - CD label - pressing plant). So, you know it is really hard to date a CD without looking at tons of details.
Some rather basic analysis (and not 100% correct) can be found here
[www.stay-tuned-to-sw.de]
'Basic' because life is much more complex than that. Also, French pressings on that site are completely screwed in terms of timeline.
Additional information could be found on rollingandre's site.
[rollingandre.jouwweb.nl]

If you'll show an image of the CD of interest it would be possible to identify the pressing and estimate the year of production. But you'll need to provide also matrix numbers and matrix strings.

Like 820 047-2 03# YS MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC IFPI 0172.
This is matrix from a CD The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones (1964). The CD [London 820 047-2] was pressed from stampler YS, that was prepared from the 3rd glass master (03#) in Germany at Hanover pressing plant in late 1994.
So, you know, it is a bit complex winking smiley.

Thank you!

I’ll check these sites, and see if they help!

C

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 17, 2022 00:55

An endless topic...

Always learning more and more!

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: November 17, 2022 13:44

What about Karnbach & Bernson (It's Only Rock 'n' Roll The Ultimate Guide)... it is quite a good guide as well.

sjouke

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 17, 2022 15:22

Sjouke
What about Karnbach & Bernson (It's Only Rock 'n' Roll The Ultimate Guide)... it is quite a good guide as well.

sjouke
Most of the known literature does not carry any information about the dates of re-releases and no information about CD pressing plants. Even 'THE BIBLE' Das Weissbuch (1991) has very limited information about CD matrices and CD production.
Can you find in the book something like this?
1982-1983 - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, no inscription on the hub, glass masters prepared during this period have broad outer mirror band (only few early CDs are of these features). It can appear on later re-presses.
1982-1985 - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, no inscription on the hub, glass masters prepared during this period have narrow outer mirror band. It can appear on later re-presses.
1985-1986 (or early 1987) - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, no inscription on the hub. For glass masters prepared after (late 1985-early 1986) there will be no outer mirror band.
late 1986-1987 - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN W. GERMANY BY PDO HANOVER on the hub
1986-1988 - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN W. GERMANY BY PDO on the hub
1988-1989 (or early 1990) - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN W.GERMANY BY PDO on the hub (no space between W. and GERMANY)
1990-1991 - flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY BY PDO on the hub
1991? - CD with stacking ring, 'silver' silver to the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY BY PDO on the hub
1991-1992- flat CD, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY on the hub
1991?-1992? - CD with stacking ring, 'silver' to the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY on the hub
1992-1993 - CD with stacking ring, 2mm transparent plastic around the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY on the hub
1994-1999 - CD with stacking ring, 2mm transparent plastic around the central hole, string MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC on the hub. After mid-1994 an IFPI code appears on the hub.
This is just a guide line for CDs that were pressed in (West) Germany at Polygram-PDO-PRS-PMDC in Hanover.

And we do not start yet the variations like 'repress on PDO using glass master prepared in 1983' or 'PMDC CD with old booklet and Polygram notation on the label' winking smiley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-17 15:25 by ironbelly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home