Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 21 of 23
Re: The Rolling Stones GRRR Live!
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: February 17, 2023 14:00

In my opinion GRRR has one of the best sound mixes of the many "recent" live releases. In particular, Mick's voice is highly prominent, and it turns out his vocals are remarkable.

In other recent live material it seemed like he was losing his voice capabilities and in some cases just going through the motions with minimal effort, but on the GRR tracks his voice comes through as powerful and on the mark.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 17, 2023 14:20

BOBM
In my opinion GRRR has one of the best sound mixes of the many "recent" live releases. In particular, Mick's voice is highly prominent, and it turns out his vocals are remarkable.

In other recent live material it seemed like he was losing his voice capabilities and in some cases just going through the motions with minimal effort, but on the GRR tracks his voice comes through as powerful and on the mark.

Highly disagree, his vocals sound very strained here like he's trying far too hard. In later live releases like Havana Moon he sounded far more relaxed like he was singing with a more open throat.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 17, 2023 20:05

GRRR Live! is #3 in the general Top-100 Album-Charts in Germany - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Posted by: Hutchence ()
Date: February 17, 2023 20:08

[www.officialcharts.com]

Eneded up @ No.21 with 3,491 copies sold.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: February 17, 2023 21:09

Received my cd/dvd combo pack. Did NOT receive the print of Ronnie’s set list that was promised if you purchased it from RS .com. Anyone else have the same result?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 18, 2023 01:14

Hutchence
[www.officialcharts.com]

Eneded up @ No.21 with 3,491 copies sold.

Not bad for another live album with the same songs over and over again, actually it sold better than El Mocambo, #24 last year with 2,583 copies sold the first week.

From Music Week:
"One of a legion of Rolling Stones compilations released in their chart career of nearly 60 years, Grrr! reached No.3 in 2012, and has sold 435,892 copies. The band toured in support of the set, and the newly released Grrr! Live – which debuts at No.21 (3,491 sales) - documents their performance that year at The Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. The band are in fine fettle during the 24-song, 135-minute set, which delivers their 53rd chart album."

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 18, 2023 01:29

rockdoc8885
Received my cd/dvd combo pack. Did NOT receive the print of Ronnie’s set list that was promised if you purchased it from RS .com. Anyone else have the same result?

As I wrote on the previous page, I ordered the Blu-Ray/CDs and got the DVD set (from the RS Store). They did send me a return label to exchange it - just nervous about sending it back. Not sure how much difference there is between the 2 formats, but I did pay for the BR.
I did not get a set list, but don’t recall it being offered.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: February 18, 2023 01:52

StonedRambler
BOBM

Highly disagree, his vocals sound very strained here like he's trying far too hard. In later live releases like Havana Moon he sounded far more relaxed like he was singing with a more open throat.

I mean it's obvious Mick still had more power left in his voice in 2012 compared to now, but yes his performance was a bit stiff and strained in 2012. His voice gets a bit thinner every year that goes by. It's just ageing taking it's toll.

The last time he really impressed me was in 2003 on songs like Stray Cat Blues and That's How Strong My Love Is.

As the years went on he lost any distortion/growl that was left.

He already sounded very nasal and thin in "Shine A Light" 2006 compared to 2003. His voice changed pretty fast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 01:54 by yeababyyea.

Date: February 18, 2023 14:20

rockdoc8885

Did NOT receive the print of Ronnie’s set list that was promised if you purchased it from RS .com.

Was the setlist included in your order confirmation?

At [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] the BR/DVD/CD/LP + Setlist is an extra order.

Date: February 18, 2023 14:25

UK only: "Order any format of GRRR Live! before 11:59PM on February 19th to be in with a chance of winning 1 of 3 GRRR Live! Vinyl Test Pressing Sets (3LP)!" - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 18, 2023 23:37

rockdoc8885

They will probably send this to you separately, that's how it happened to me in the past with a Keith box. I thought this was a shame, because, since it was two shipments, I also had to pay tax twice.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:29

Got the DVD/CD combo.

I assume the booklet same in the standard CD version?

Date: February 19, 2023 22:05

Pictures of BR, DVD & LP are already on [www.Discogs.com] .

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 20, 2023 05:01

Irix
rockdoc8885

Did NOT receive the print of Ronnie’s set list that was promised if you purchased it from RS .com.

Was the setlist included in your order confirmation?

At [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] the BR/DVD/CD/LP + Setlist is an extra order.

So it’s actually cheaper to order the red vinyl with the litho than to order the red vinyl by itself!?! Interesting.

Date: February 20, 2023 14:25

VoodooLounge13

So it’s actually cheaper to order the red vinyl with the litho than to order the red vinyl by itself!?!

It's just with US-$: 79.99 LP-only vs. 78.99 LP+Setlist. In EUR or GBP it's €59.99 vs. €75.99 or £54.99 vs. £64.99.

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: February 20, 2023 16:07

The letters STONES on the cover are very interesting

Date: February 20, 2023 16:20

Broesel2404

The letters STONES on the cover are very interesting

Large picture of the Stones lettering - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: February 20, 2023 17:45

Those words was "building" during Start Me Up in those 2012 & 2013 nights!

Date: February 21, 2023 15:29

Irix
VoodooLounge13

So it’s actually cheaper to order the red vinyl with the litho than to order the red vinyl by itself!?!

It's just with US-$: 79.99 LP-only vs. 78.99 LP+Setlist. In EUR or GBP it's €59.99 vs. €75.99 or £54.99 vs. £64.99.

Interesting how that price varies depending on location.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: February 21, 2023 15:43

When Keith changes guitars between songs, he often rubs chalk along the guitar neck and on his hands to soak up any moisture.

Before "Honky Tonk Women" he must've done this and then rubbed his lip because he has a big white chalky moustache.

Either that or he's forgotten how to do a line. >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-21 15:45 by mikehat.

Date: February 21, 2023 16:16

Had a chance to listen to this one over the weekend. I agree with the person who said that all of the guests detract from the flow of the show. I can completely understand what that poster meant, and I tend to agree. There are some botched notes as well - most notably at the beginning of PIB. Not really sure what they were starting up there. Was almost as if they were tuning guitars more than playing the opening chords. But I enjoyed the 2 new songs, and I also thought Bruce did a fine job on TD. I also enjoyed The Black Keys song. Haven't watched the BluRay yet. That will have to wait a long while til I have a place and can get that all set up again. All in all, an OK release. I think they have better live albums, even from the modern era, and I probably will only revisit it periodically from time to time.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 21, 2023 16:18

VoodooLounge13
Had a chance to listen to this one over the weekend. I agree with the person who said that all of the guests detract from the flow of the show. I can completely understand what that poster meant, and I tend to agree. There are some botched notes as well - most notably at the beginning of PIB. Not really sure what they were starting up there. Was almost as if they were tuning guitars more than playing the opening chords. But I enjoyed the 2 new songs, and I also thought Bruce did a fine job on TD. I also enjoyed The Black Keys song. Haven't watched the BluRay yet. That will have to wait a long while til I have a place and can get that all set up again. All in all, an OK release. I think they have better live albums, even from the modern era, and I probably will only revisit it periodically from time to time.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 21, 2023 16:18

VoodooLounge13

The bluray is the best part. It has great sound

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 21, 2023 18:03

The live album debuts at #193 with around 8,000 units.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:45

I got the Blueray / CD pack and I watched it over the weekend. I really thought it was an entertaining show and in particular I thought the mix was great. I probably won't ever listen to the CD and it's a shame they always seem to package these as a CD/DVD or CD/BR mix because it's a bit of a waste. No doubt the combined packaging is something to do with marketing or chart positioning.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 21, 2023 22:07

sjs12
I got the Blueray / CD pack and I watched it over the weekend. I really thought it was an entertaining show and in particular I thought the mix was great. I probably won't ever listen to the CD and it's a shame they always seem to package these as a CD/DVD or CD/BR mix because it's a bit of a waste. No doubt the combined packaging is something to do with marketing or chart positioning.

Yea it's a shame, a standalone blu-ray is enough for me and often you can find them pretty cheap second hand.
Already own the fanmade "Mission From God" blu-ray of this show in excellent quality since ten years.
Not going to pay 40 euros for a blu-ray/cd to get "improved" audio with Mick more upfront in the mix.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:58

Seeing as it ain't on the official release, fook it, Y not

[www.youtube.com]

Keep on rocking, don't stop rollin'

\m/

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 22, 2023 12:49

Is there blu ray-only product available?

Date: February 22, 2023 13:36

Father Ted

Is there blu ray-only product available?

No, unfortunately.

Digitally, the video is available as standalone on [www.Amazon.co.uk] or [iTunes.Apple.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-22 13:40 by Irix.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: February 23, 2023 19:07

Anyone listened to the LP's? Although I have a very fine audio system, it can't compensate for the bad sound (mix? recording?). I read positive reviews regarding the sound on the Blu-ray Disc. It has to be a different mix, because the LP's are really awful. The sound is muffled, a much too boomy and heavy bass. Seems very compressed also. Pity...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 21 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home