Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23
Re: The Rolling Stones GRRR Live!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2022 19:17

micha063
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC
I wonder why the European Leg of the Urban Jungle Tour is somewhat neglected. it was the last tour with Bill and differs from the Steel Wheels Tour. I would love to hear Torino or London shows.

The tour had a different name and different stage but it was still the STEEL WHEELS tour. They dropped UOTN but still played the same set list with the same amount of new songs, up to 5.

They also dropped Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body and Play With Fire. They played Bitch only a couple of times.
They added Almost Hear You Sigh.
At some shiws they playd I Just Wanna Make Love To You and Factory Girl and Blinded By Rainbows.
Do it was different.

As I told Dande, I forgot about some!

They were playing Almost Hear You Sigh and Terrifying towards the end of the 1989 shows.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 9, 2022 19:20

Would you all mind staying on topic? I don't know why this thread is about the Steel Wheels tour now. It is about GRRR live.

Date: December 9, 2022 20:16

StonedRambler
Would you all mind staying on topic? I don't know why this thread is about the Steel Wheels tour now. It is about GRRR live.

You know how it is here!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2022 20:30

GRRR...enough said.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2022 20:36

StonedRambler

(Maybe GRRR wasn't all that interesting, compared to Steel Wheels.)

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: December 9, 2022 22:18

I'm not spending 30 euros on a pay per view I already purchased 10 years ago and have on DVD-r in excellent quality.

Haven't bought any of their releases at retail price since San Jose '99, but somehow I always find them for 4 euros at my local flea market a couple of years after release date so that's when I pick them up.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 9, 2022 23:13

spunky
Happy Video: [youtu.be]

Fantastic ! Great Ronnie!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 10, 2022 03:35

GasLightStreet
micha063
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC
I wonder why the European Leg of the Urban Jungle Tour is somewhat neglected. it was the last tour with Bill and differs from the Steel Wheels Tour. I would love to hear Torino or London shows.

The tour had a different name and different stage but it was still the STEEL WHEELS tour. They dropped UOTN but still played the same set list with the same amount of new songs, up to 5.

They also dropped Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body and Play With Fire. They played Bitch only a couple of times.
They added Almost Hear You Sigh. . At some shiws they playd I Just Wanna Make Love To You and Factory Girl and Blinded By Rainbows.
Do it was different.

As I told Dande, I forgot about some!

They were playing Almost Hear You Sigh and Terrifying towards the end of the 1989 shows.
I doubt they played Blinded By Rainbows in 1990. Maybe Blinded By Love but not Rainbows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-10 03:37 by donvis.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 10, 2022 06:15

GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
I used to be an absolute Stones completist, though the list of things I've skipped has grown in recent years.

It used to just be

"Live Licks" - For the horrible editing
"Rarities" - On principle for the ridiculous omission of Wyman from the cover photo. Just pick a photo that only features the four of you, there's tons of them.
"Shine a Light (Motion Picture Soundtrack)" - I have the film and just never got around to buying the soundtrack, but this one may get bought some day.

Then it grew to include

"Bridges to Buenos Aires" - I actually had this one, but sold it. I never reached for it, and that Dylan duet was a train wreck. I wanted to love it since the Stones and Bob are my #1 and #2 favorites...but yikes.
"Honk" - Don't need the duets, but a good marketing decision to try and get younger fans I suppose.
"Live on Copacabana Beach" - I'm fine with what's on "Biggest Bang" DVD set
"Licked Live in NYC" - I'm fine with what's on "Four Flicks" DVD set

And now most recently

"Grrr Live!" - I saw it and had it recorded for years on my old DVR. Though I don't have that DVR anymore, I don't see myself going for this again. As someone has already said, I'd love to see one of the O2 Arena shows get released when Wyman sat in (preferably 11/25/12), though it sounds like those weren't professionally recorded.

All that said, I'm very much looking forward to the new studio album whenever it comes out...and even if doesn't, I've got more than enough great stuff from them over the years. No real complaints here. They have the best body of work out there, IMHO. Very likely my favorite Stones albums won't change going forward, but it's great to see them still working...be it on stage or in the studio.

LOL yeah it's a bit watery, innit? Quite a few years ago I was working on being a completist but when some things just weren't available, like some CD singles, where I lived, and I never came across them anywhere (a lot easier to find now) in the cool used record stores, I gave up. And with various online platforms it's gotten ridiculous to want to collect every single whatever for just a couple of songs.

In regard to what you've listed...

LIVE LICKS - disc one is pointless but disc 2... The Nearness Of You and You Don't Have To Mean it make it worthwhile

RARITIES - stupid album cover. I got it because of Through The Lonely Nights, Let It Rock and the one live STEEL WHEELS song. And it was nice to hear that remix of Harlem Shuffle again. They could've done so much better, though. No need for If I Was A Dancer or Mannish Boy - both on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES!!! again.

SHINE A LIGHT - the movie was good once, as in, the first time I saw it. Got the double album edition. Only listened to it once. Awful.

BRIDGES TO BUENOS AIRES - I like this one. Glad I got it. The mix isn't very good.

HONK - I already have JUMP BACK so no. When I had Spotify I listened to it more so only because Living In A Ghost Town was on it. But if I ever see it used I would consider getting it.

COPACANA BEACH - Someone gave me THE BIGGEST BANG for Christmas one year. I'm glad I didn't pay for that ridiculous release. Compared to FOUR FLICKS, why bother. But watched that one and thought, Their biggest crowd ever, ok. So no need for this one either.

LICKED LIVE - That MSG 2003 PPV show was excellent. I'm glad enough of it is on FOUR FLICKS. It seems that anything Sam Wheat mixes is unenjoyable to listen to. Which is too bad because they were possibly at their BABYLON-LICKS peak of performance. So unless I come across a really cheap one, most likely won't get this one as well.

You didn't include HAVANA MOON. Another one I don't feel the need to have, regardless of its historical significance.

This newest release? There's YouTube for watching I Wanna Be Your Man from the first (and third) show and Lady Jane from the second show. That's plenty.

Yeah, I could revisit Havana Moon and probably get rid of that one, too. I ended up having Through the Lonely Nights on the Singles Collection 1971-2006, and of course Let It Rock....but true, those were enticing inclusions on Rarities at the time of its release. They really could have done better with that one, agreed. If it had I think I'm Going Mad I may not have even sprung for the Singles Collection 1971-2006...but it's kinda fun to have the 45 sleeve replica in that set and I'd have missed out on the single version of All Down The Linecool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-10 06:39 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 10, 2022 17:56

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
I used to be an absolute Stones completist, though the list of things I've skipped has grown in recent years.

It used to just be

"Live Licks" - For the horrible editing
"Rarities" - On principle for the ridiculous omission of Wyman from the cover photo. Just pick a photo that only features the four of you, there's tons of them.
"Shine a Light (Motion Picture Soundtrack)" - I have the film and just never got around to buying the soundtrack, but this one may get bought some day.

Then it grew to include

"Bridges to Buenos Aires" - I actually had this one, but sold it. I never reached for it, and that Dylan duet was a train wreck. I wanted to love it since the Stones and Bob are my #1 and #2 favorites...but yikes.
"Honk" - Don't need the duets, but a good marketing decision to try and get younger fans I suppose.
"Live on Copacabana Beach" - I'm fine with what's on "Biggest Bang" DVD set
"Licked Live in NYC" - I'm fine with what's on "Four Flicks" DVD set

And now most recently

"Grrr Live!" - I saw it and had it recorded for years on my old DVR. Though I don't have that DVR anymore, I don't see myself going for this again. As someone has already said, I'd love to see one of the O2 Arena shows get released when Wyman sat in (preferably 11/25/12), though it sounds like those weren't professionally recorded.

All that said, I'm very much looking forward to the new studio album whenever it comes out...and even if doesn't, I've got more than enough great stuff from them over the years. No real complaints here. They have the best body of work out there, IMHO. Very likely my favorite Stones albums won't change going forward, but it's great to see them still working...be it on stage or in the studio.

LOL yeah it's a bit watery, innit? Quite a few years ago I was working on being a completist but when some things just weren't available, like some CD singles, where I lived, and I never came across them anywhere (a lot easier to find now) in the cool used record stores, I gave up. And with various online platforms it's gotten ridiculous to want to collect every single whatever for just a couple of songs.

In regard to what you've listed...

LIVE LICKS - disc one is pointless but disc 2... The Nearness Of You and You Don't Have To Mean it make it worthwhile

RARITIES - stupid album cover. I got it because of Through The Lonely Nights, Let It Rock and the one live STEEL WHEELS song. And it was nice to hear that remix of Harlem Shuffle again. They could've done so much better, though. No need for If I Was A Dancer or Mannish Boy - both on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES!!! again.

SHINE A LIGHT - the movie was good once, as in, the first time I saw it. Got the double album edition. Only listened to it once. Awful.

BRIDGES TO BUENOS AIRES - I like this one. Glad I got it. The mix isn't very good.

HONK - I already have JUMP BACK so no. When I had Spotify I listened to it more so only because Living In A Ghost Town was on it. But if I ever see it used I would consider getting it.

COPACANA BEACH - Someone gave me THE BIGGEST BANG for Christmas one year. I'm glad I didn't pay for that ridiculous release. Compared to FOUR FLICKS, why bother. But watched that one and thought, Their biggest crowd ever, ok. So no need for this one either.

LICKED LIVE - That MSG 2003 PPV show was excellent. I'm glad enough of it is on FOUR FLICKS. It seems that anything Sam Wheat mixes is unenjoyable to listen to. Which is too bad because they were possibly at their BABYLON-LICKS peak of performance. So unless I come across a really cheap one, most likely won't get this one as well.

You didn't include HAVANA MOON. Another one I don't feel the need to have, regardless of its historical significance.

This newest release? There's YouTube for watching I Wanna Be Your Man from the first (and third) show and Lady Jane from the second show. That's plenty.

Yeah, I could revisit Havana Moon and probably get rid of that one, too. I ended up having Through the Lonely Nights on the Singles Collection 1971-2006, and of course Let It Rock....but true, those were enticing inclusions on Rarities at the time of its release. They really could have done better with that one, agreed. If it had I think I'm Going Mad I may not have even sprung for the Singles Collection 1971-2006...but it's kinda fun to have the 45 sleeve replica in that set and I'd have missed out on the single version of All Down The Linecool smiley

Havana Moon is just so well made as a movie that that totally makes up for the stale setlist. The film perfectly shows all the emotions of the people there for whom it was an unbelievable event.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 10, 2022 19:53

I also love the scenes from Havana Moon and Ole, great fans those South Americans!

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: December 12, 2022 17:20

Really, I think 'Happy' sounds horrible. Tempo way too slow. Best version was Brussels back in the day. Mick Taylor on fire, reworked horn section, great mix.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 12, 2022 18:21

sbetz
Really, I think 'Happy' sounds horrible. Tempo way too slow. Best version was Brussels back in the day. Mick Taylor on fire, reworked horn section, great mix.

Really?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 12, 2022 18:38

Even though the Rolling Stones play many of the same songs on every tour, I find it very interesting to hear the different arrangements from tour to tour. Sometimes, such as the 2022 tour, it was interesting to hear how Keith would play "Out of Time" diferenly at every show.

Listen to "It's Only Rock n Roll" from 1999 and other tours or "Jumping Jack Flash" from one tour to another, these songs are a lot different.

I'd bet you are glad your band, the Rolling Stones is the number 1 band of all time. Right? They got there by knowing what to do and working hard.

The Stones wouldn't be selling out stadiums all of these years if they weren't playing the big hits. I remember how excited people became at the concert when "Honky Tonk," "Miss You" or "Start Me Up was played in 2019.

The Stones are performing to satisfy just you as you are in the minority of what Rolling Stones fans want to hear in concert.

Every time the Rolling Stones release something, there's always something I love on the release. Even when it's just an upgrade of what I already had, I'm glad to get it in better quality.

I always find overdubs or how a song was fixed interesting. I love editing and overdubs. Whatever makes it sound better I appreciate it.

A lot of people bitch about Rolling Stones releases because of the cost, even when it doesn't cost much.

Some of the suggestion people on this forum come up with for the Stones are very cool, but the Stones need to focus on their general audience, the masses, which makes them still a huge success to which no other band has come close.

The Rolling Stones will release a career retrospective someday. They've been squirreling performances away for years. I hope I'm still alive when that dream box comes to fruition.

photo by Kevin Mazur

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 12, 2022 19:29

That is a GREAT photo of Ronnie!!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 15, 2022 15:45

GRRR Live! - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) :

[www.YouTube.com] - (available from 16-Dec-2022, 0:00am) - Audio: [Music.Apple.com]

Date: December 15, 2022 16:15

Streaming-Concert to celebrate the release of GRRR Live! · 2-Feb-2023, 8:00pm

15-Dec-2022

To celebrate the release of GRRR Live! The Rolling Stones and Kiswe announce an immersive virtual concert event

The Rolling Stones' most memorable concert to date, featuring a star-studded line-up of guests - The Black Keys, Lady Gaga, Gary Clarke Jr, John Mayer, Mick Taylor and Bruce Springsteen. For the first time since 2012, fans around the world will be able to experience that show again.

New York, 15 December 2022: The Rolling Stones will today celebrate the release of GRRR Live! with a new streaming-concert to celebrate the release of the new album. The concert will take place on 2 February 2023 at 8pm UK time, 8pm US Eastern time, 8pm US Pacific time and 8pm Western Australia time (3 February).

The live-album 'GRRR Live!' is a recording of the concert as part of the '50 & Counting Tour' with The Black Keys ('Who Do You Love?'), Gary Clarke Jr. & John Mayer ('Going Down'), Lady Gaga ('Gimme Shelter'), Mick Taylor ('Midnight Rambler') and local hero Bruce Springsteen ('Tumbling Dice'). The show became one of the most memorable concerts in the group's long history. However, fans have not been able to enjoy the performance again since it was made available on a pay-per-view basis in 2012.

The event will utilise international live-streaming technology from Kiswe, a leading provider of audience-participation video content. This state-of-the-art technology will allow fans around the world to enjoy this historic concert on the RollingStonesNewark.com webpage. The concert will feature some of the greatest songs in rock history, including 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll', 'Honky Tonk Women', 'Start Me Up', 'Gimme Shelter', 'Sympathy For The Devil' and 'Satisfaction'. Unlike viewing services on other platforms, Kiswe's live-streaming is unique in that fans can participate in the event themselves. Fans from around the world can post short selfies to celebrate the band and their performance, allowing them to capture their own images on screen while watching the concert and share them with other viewers around the world.

Tickets go on sale from 15 December 2022 on RollingStonesNewark.com .

Kiswe is a company that provides audience-participation video content. It operates immersive live streaming events where people can connect with each other, and has the reliability to provide a stable service even with large numbers of participants. Using its award-winning video cloud technology, Kiswe has operated some of the world's largest pay-per-view events to date. The company also works with leading companies in the sports, media and entertainment industries to produce and distribute content, provide services for fans, analyse audience data and propose improvements. Kiswe is headquartered in New Jersey, USA, with offices in New York, Seoul and Hasselt. For more information: [www.Kiswe.com] .

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] - (Story) , [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [RollingStonesNewark.com]

Date: December 15, 2022 16:50

Date: December 15, 2022 16:56

«The Rolling Stones' most memorable concert to date»

They're not shy, when they market this. Hilarious! grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2022 17:08

Wow! That's a pretty ingenious marketing effort! There's even a T-Shirt bundle with the ticket purchase.

Date: December 15, 2022 18:12

Why paying 10€ for a stream if I can buy it for 20€ on Blu Ray and be able to watch it again and again and again? The stream was fun in 2012 because it was a live event. But what is the argument to buy a stream again in 2023?

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 15, 2022 18:12

I’ll pas on this. Buying the DVD or Blue-Ray is good enough for me, why should I buy a “ticket”?? Or it must be for the shirt….. confused smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 15, 2022 18:16

DandelionPowderman
«The Rolling Stones' most memorable concert to date»

They're not shy, when they market this. Hilarious! grinning smiley

Yeah a pretty dull show this (cause of the non-energetic start) but I will still buy the DVD. Best show ever would be in a theatre during Licks with NO guests.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 15, 2022 18:29

It's got Springsteen on it and I'm mad at him. Actually, I wouldn't buy it anyway.

Date: December 15, 2022 18:55

hockenheim95
Why paying 10€ for a stream if I can buy it for 20€ on Blu Ray and be able to watch it again and again and again? The stream was fun in 2012 because it was a live event. But what is the argument to buy a stream again in 2023?

Well, I imagine for the younger audience who didn't get to watch the pay per view, and who in all likelihood have no plans of buying this. Lots of folks no longer purchase hard-copy of anything.

Date: December 15, 2022 19:20

hockenheim95

Why paying 10€ for a stream if I can buy it for 20€ on Blu Ray and be able to watch it again and again and again?

In 2010 they showed Ladies & Gentlemen, in 2011 Some Girls (Texas '78), in 2013 Sweet Summer Sun and in 2016 Havana Moon in cinemas shortly before the DVD/BR release.

Same question back then: Why buying a cinema-ticket when you're going to buy the DVD/BR anyway? Only due to the large screen in the cinema?

Now it's about streaming and according to the press-release people can participate online during the streaming-event. As mentioned above, probably the younger generation (familiar with social media) likes that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-15 19:35 by Irix.

Date: December 15, 2022 19:41

and given the interactive nature, it's also the closest we have to real life Stones concert at the moment!!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 15, 2022 20:01

Irix
hockenheim95

Why paying 10€ for a stream if I can buy it for 20€ on Blu Ray and be able to watch it again and again and again?

In 2010 they showed Ladies & Gentlemen, in 2011 Some Girls (Texas '78), in 2013 Sweet Summer Sun and in 2016 Havana Moon in cinemas shortly before the DVD/BR release.

Same question back then: Why buying a cinema-ticket when you're going to buy the DVD/BR anyway? Only due to the large screen in the cinema?

Now it's about streaming and according to the press-release people can participate online during the streaming-event. As mentioned above, probably the younger generation (familiar with social media) likes that.

Shine a Light was fantastic @ IMAX when it first came out. Great sound system in the theater.

Date: December 15, 2022 20:41

Irix
hockenheim95

The difference is that at least Live in Texas, Hyde Park and Havana have never been seen before by the audience. Newark has been streamed already in 2012 and has been available in full glory on YouTube for many many years. A cinema offers you a sound system that many people don't have at home and a gigantic screen.

I can't believe that many young Stones Fans are interested in a new streaming because everything else available on TikTok and other social media is free content. I don't believe this will gain much interest and I think many more here on IORR that went to the cinema years ago won't Stream this again.

Date: December 16, 2022 06:46

hockenheim95
Irix
hockenheim95

The difference is that at least Live in Texas, Hyde Park and Havana have never been seen before by the audience. Newark has been streamed already in 2012 and has been available in full glory on YouTube for many many years. A cinema offers you a sound system that many people don't have at home and a gigantic screen.

I can't believe that many young Stones Fans are interested in a new streaming because everything else available on TikTok and other social media is free content. I don't believe this will gain much interest and I think many more here on IORR that went to the cinema years ago won't Stream this again.

I didn't stream it then and I won't stream it now nor will I buy anything. I'm older than younger but not too old, still young enough with one ear in the present and future and one in the old skool. Knowing what I know about this show is an automatic pass for me. Any millennials or gen Z might wonder what the hell The Black Keys are doing with these old men - if some of gen Z are bothered to know who The Black Keys are - and probably have no idea who the rest are, at least on an daily music streaming "being busy" listen for 30 seconds and skip to the next song basis.

Can't remember what I was doing when it first streamed, nor do I remember when it did, but what I was doing was probably more interesting.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home