Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 23
Re: The Rolling Stones GRRR Live!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2022 16:40

24FPS
Unfortunately it means we'll have to wait until summer for another vault release. Hopefully we'll finally get Paris '76, or Knebworth, or both. (Though I know we won't get both).

I won't buy this one. My local library will eventually have it. That's how I saw Ole, some other south american one, and Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. See 'em once and never see 'em again. Unlike El Mocambo, that I can't stop playing.

Why do you say that? They're releasing these bastards every 6 weeks.

I cannot keep up!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 6, 2022 17:57

What was released 6 weeks ago? I don't think there's been a release since El Mo...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2022 18:02

Personally I would like to see a release every 6 weeks during the 60th anniversary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-06 18:09 by frankotero.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 6, 2022 20:03

I used to be an absolute Stones completist, though the list of things I've skipped has grown in recent years.

It used to just be

"Live Licks" - For the horrible editing
"Rarities" - On principle for the ridiculous omission of Wyman from the cover photo. Just pick a photo that only features the four of you, there's tons of them.
"Shine a Light (Motion Picture Soundtrack)" - I have the film and just never got around to buying the soundtrack, but this one may get bought some day.

Then it grew to include

"Bridges to Buenos Aires" - I actually had this one, but sold it. I never reached for it, and that Dylan duet was a train wreck. I wanted to love it since the Stones and Bob are my #1 and #2 favorites...but yikes.
"Honk" - Don't need the duets, but a good marketing decision to try and get younger fans I suppose.
"Live on Copacabana Beach" - I'm fine with what's on "Biggest Bang" DVD set
"Licked Live in NYC" - I'm fine with what's on "Four Flicks" DVD set

And now most recently

"Grrr Live!" - I saw it and had it recorded for years on my old DVR. Though I don't have that DVR anymore, I don't see myself going for this again. As someone has already said, I'd love to see one of the O2 Arena shows get released when Wyman sat in (preferably 11/25/12), though it sounds like those weren't professionally recorded.

All that said, I'm very much looking forward to the new studio album whenever it comes out...and even if doesn't, I've got more than enough great stuff from them over the years. No real complaints here. They have the best body of work out there, IMHO. Very likely my favorite Stones albums won't change going forward, but it's great to see them still working...be it on stage or in the studio.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 6, 2022 21:08

treaclefingers
24FPS
Unfortunately it means we'll have to wait until summer for another vault release. Hopefully we'll finally get Paris '76, or Knebworth, or both. (Though I know we won't get both).

I won't buy this one. My local library will eventually have it. That's how I saw Ole, some other south american one, and Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. See 'em once and never see 'em again. Unlike El Mocambo, that I can't stop playing.

Why do you say that? They're releasing these bastards every 6 weeks.

I cannot keep up!

Six weeks? El Mocambo was May 13th. What calendar are you on?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 7, 2022 01:18

frankotero
Personally I would like to see a release every 6 weeks during the 60th anniversary.

You're definitely onto something. So far, I find their 60th Anniversary release schedule a bit underwhelming, the fabulous El Mocambo release notwithstanding. I mean, when, if not now, is the right time to come up with live concerts and studio outtakes archive releases from their glory first 20 years or a video anthology on DVD/BlueRay?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 7, 2022 04:09

floodonthepage
I used to be an absolute Stones completist, though the list of things I've skipped has grown in recent years.

It used to just be

"Rarities" - On principle for the ridiculous omission of Wyman from the cover photo. Just pick a photo that only features the four of you, there's tons of them.
"Shine a Light (Motion Picture Soundtrack)" - I have the film and just never got around to buying the soundtrack, but this one may get bought some day.

Then it grew to include

"Bridges to Buenos Aires" - I actually had this one, but sold it. I never reached for it, and that Dylan duet was a train wreck. I wanted to love it since the Stones and Bob are my #1 and #2 favorites...but yikes.
"Honk" - Don't need the duets, but a good marketing decision to try and get younger fans I suppose.

And now most recently

"Grrr Live!" - I saw it and had it recorded for years on my old DVR. Though I don't have that DVR anymore, I don't see myself going for this again. As someone has already said, I'd love to see one of the O2 Arena shows get released when Wyman sat in (preferably 11/25/12), though it sounds like those weren't professionally recorded.

All that said, I'm very much looking forward to the new studio album whenever it comes out...and even if doesn't, I've got more than enough great stuff from them over the years. No real complaints here. They have the best body of work out there, IMHO. Very likely my favorite Stones albums won't change going forward, but it's great to see them still working...be it on stage or in the studio.

Come on Man!!! MSG 2003 got SMU and new angles! BA98 = Little Queenie and Bob!! What more do ya need!! All this is much better than having a Jerry Hall -lookalike humiliating ya all over again!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-07 04:10 by MadMax.

Date: December 7, 2022 06:23

MadMax
floodonthepage

It used to just be

Then it grew to include

And now most recently

Come on Man!!! MSG 2003 got SMU and new angles! BA98 = Little Queenie and Bob!! What more do ya need!! All this is much better than having a Jerry Hall -lookalike humiliating ya all over again!smileys with beer

cool smiley

Posted by: TransmaniaconMC ()
Date: December 7, 2022 06:30

I wonder why the European Leg of the Urban Jungle Tour is somewhat neglected. it was the last tour with Bill and differs from the Steel Wheels Tour. I would love to hear Torino or London shows.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 7, 2022 06:39

smileys with beer
TransmaniaconMC
I wonder why the European Leg of the Urban Jungle Tour is somewhat neglected. it was the last tour with Bill and differs from the Steel Wheels Tour. I would love to hear Torino or London shows.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 7, 2022 09:35

TransmaniaconMC

It is well documented on At The Max so we have releases from all three legs now

Date: December 7, 2022 13:07

<Live on Copacabana Beach - I'm fine with what's on "Biggest Bang" DVD set>

The Salt Lake City-show (audio) was a nice surprise, though, and imo superior to the edited and overdubbed (by guitar techs!) Austin.

Date: December 7, 2022 17:50

DandelionPowderman

The Salt Lake City-show (audio) was a nice surprise, though, and imo superior to the edited and overdubbed (by guitar techs!) Austin.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about Salt Lake City. Yeah, from what I've read that is a decent show. Perhaps better as a mix than it is as a show, but an improvement over Austin it seems...as you said. I can't remember the last time I watched Austin.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2022 20:05

floodonthepage

It used to just be

Then it grew to include

And now most recently

LOL yeah it's a bit watery, innit? Quite a few years ago I was working on being a completist but when some things just weren't available, like some CD singles, where I lived, and I never came across them anywhere (a lot easier to find now) in the cool used record stores, I gave up. And with various online platforms it's gotten ridiculous to want to collect every single whatever for just a couple of songs.

In regard to what you've listed...

LIVE LICKS - disc one is pointless but disc 2... The Nearness Of You and You Don't Have To Mean it make it worthwhile

RARITIES - stupid album cover. I got it because of Through The Lonely Nights, Let It Rock and the one live STEEL WHEELS song. And it was nice to hear that remix of Harlem Shuffle again. They could've done so much better, though. No need for If I Was A Dancer or Mannish Boy - both on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES!!! again.

SHINE A LIGHT - the movie was good once, as in, the first time I saw it. Got the double album edition. Only listened to it once. Awful.

BRIDGES TO BUENOS AIRES - I like this one. Glad I got it. The mix isn't very good.

HONK - I already have JUMP BACK so no. When I had Spotify I listened to it more so only because Living In A Ghost Town was on it. But if I ever see it used I would consider getting it.

COPACANA BEACH - Someone gave me THE BIGGEST BANG for Christmas one year. I'm glad I didn't pay for that ridiculous release. Compared to FOUR FLICKS, why bother. But watched that one and thought, Their biggest crowd ever, ok. So no need for this one either.

LICKED LIVE - That MSG 2003 PPV show was excellent. I'm glad enough of it is on FOUR FLICKS. It seems that anything Sam Wheat mixes is unenjoyable to listen to. Which is too bad because they were possibly at their BABYLON-LICKS peak of performance. So unless I come across a really cheap one, most likely won't get this one as well.

You didn't include HAVANA MOON. Another one I don't feel the need to have, regardless of its historical significance.

This newest release? There's YouTube for watching I Wanna Be Your Man from the first (and third) show and Lady Jane from the second show. That's plenty.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 7, 2022 20:58

It is always great to have Rolling Stones recorded professionally in higher quality, remixed, etc... compared to a bootleg, home recording, or YouTube.

Date: December 8, 2022 04:38

exilestones
It is always great to have Rolling Stones recorded professionally in higher quality, remixed, etc... compared to a bootleg, home recording, or YouTube.

At least that wasn't brickwalled!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2022 00:29

TransmaniaconMC

How does it differ? I remember they broadcast a concert from Barcelona I think. You could even get special glasses somewhere (7-11?) and watch portions like 2,000 Light Years in 3-D. I saw them a couple night in Los Angeles for the '89 portion of the tour. It felt like it was basically the same concert when I saw the Barcelona gig.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 9, 2022 00:59

24FPS
TransmaniaconMC

How does it differ?

The stage for one.
Steel Wheels:

Urban Jungle:

But I prefer for them to keep releasing stuff instead of not releasing anything at all.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 9, 2022 01:20

Just wish they would release concerts that have not been released on PPV or other media Forums.
El Mocambo being the exception
Actually at the moment listening to Live Licks MSG. Licks I thought the mix was very good.

Give us more from the 60's and 70's before I can no longer download, burn or buy.

If you can't rock us nobody will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-09 01:30 by Tonstone.

Date: December 9, 2022 08:30

TransmaniaconMC

The tour had a different name and different stage but it was still the STEEL WHEELS tour. They dropped UOTN but still played the same set list with the same amount of new songs, up to 5.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: December 9, 2022 10:06

GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

The tour had a different name and different stage but it was still the STEEL WHEELS tour. They dropped UOTN but still played the same set list with the same amount of new songs, up to 5.

They also dropped Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body and Play With Fire. They played Bitch only a couple of times.
They added Almost Hear You Sigh.
At some shiws they playd I Just Wanna Make Love To You and Factory Girl and Blinded By Rainbows.
Do it was different.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 9, 2022 10:31

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 9, 2022 12:09

24FPS

Six weeks? El Mocambo was May 13th. What calendar are you on?

Did you forgot to put Live Licked in NY and the Live at the Checkerboard Lounge re-release on your calender, sir?

Ik skipped Buenos Aires, Checkerboard, Copacobana and Live Licked in NY. Bought Bridges to Bremen at a sale and Honk only because my Grrr has a nasty scratch and Grrr is out of print..

I get that releasing all these old shows is a nice way to stay kinda relevant (and it keeps the money coming in), but they should be careful not to flood the market.

For live shows, I would love to see Vredenburg, Circus Krone or something from the early or mid-seventies. But I would love them to release an Anthology kind of boxset. With unfinished demo's and real rarities. Maybe even studio conversations and bitchfights between Mick & Keith spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 9, 2022 13:22

GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

First show (US). Songs they dropped in Europe in bold.
"Start Me Up"
"Bitch"
"Shattered"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Undercover of the Night"
"Harlem Shuffle"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Play with Fire"
"Dead Flowers"
"One Hit (To the Body)"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Midnight Rambler"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Little Red Rooster"
"Before They Make Me Run"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
"Brown Sugar"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (encore)

For the final night of the Urban Jungle Tour (the last Rolling Stones concert with Bill Wyman) the band played:

"Start Me Up"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Harlem Shuffle"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Angie"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Brown Sugar"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (encore)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 9, 2022 14:31

I didn't know the Urban Jungle tour is so 'neglected' as far as official releases go (I have lost a track on those). Funnily, for years Barcelona '90 was the only footage I had from 1989/90. Recall watching it for years from a VHS I taped from a television broadcast at the time.

In a way it was special to me in order to have some sort of clue what's happening in Stonesworld, since I couldn't catch them live. I spent 11 months doing my military service that 'nicely' covered the whole 1989/90 touring period... (damn, I was angry: I was sure I will never able to see them live).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-09 14:43 by Doxa.

Date: December 9, 2022 14:38

micha063
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

They also dropped Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body and Play With Fire. They played Bitch only a couple of times.
At some shiws they playd I Just Wanna Make Love To You and Factory Girl and Blinded By Rainbows.
Do it was different.

Interesting that they played a Voodoo song on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour….

Date: December 9, 2022 14:48

VoodooLounge13
micha063
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

Do it was different.

Interesting that they played a Voodoo song on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour….

Blinded By Love smiling smiley

They played it once, in Spain, methinks.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: December 9, 2022 16:18

Happy Video: [youtu.be]

Date: December 9, 2022 16:49

DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
micha063
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

Do it was different.

Blinded By Love smiling smiley

They played it once, in Spain, methinks.

Yeah, I figured that's what he'd meant! LOL

Date: December 9, 2022 19:15

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
TransmaniaconMC

First show (US). Songs they dropped in Europe in bold.
"Start Me Up"
"Bitch"
"Shattered"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Undercover of the Night"
"Harlem Shuffle"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Play with Fire"
"Dead Flowers"
"One Hit (To the Body)"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Little Red Rooster"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Brown Sugar"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (encore)

For the final night of the Urban Jungle Tour (the last Rolling Stones concert with Bill Wyman) the band played:

"Start Me Up"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Harlem Shuffle"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Angie"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Brown Sugar"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (encore)

LOL I started thinking about how I missed some, like Bitch. They played Factory Girl at quite a few shows. Look at the bulk of the STEEL WHEELS tour and most of the songs in bold were hardly played anyway, with one of them not even played completely once.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home