Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 23
Re: The Rolling Stones GRRR Live!
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 2, 2022 22:48

Irix
Large picture of the Cover - for those who are interested in the elements of which the Stones-lettering consists:

Large picture

WTF? It feels like two seconds of thought goes into most recent covers, and when they spend any more than the requisite two seconds, they come up with something like this????

T@3

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: December 3, 2022 00:34

As lousy as El Mocambo cover but with a less interesting content.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 01:31

StonedRambler
YouTube credits do not say Sam Wheat but Declan Gaffney.

Did Sam Wheat got kicked finally? hot smiley

Still Mazed Murad as a mastering engineer though.

Declan is an excellent mixer. He has worked on a few projects with my friend Mick Jones. Hopefully this Stones live one will be better off for his participation.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 3, 2022 03:03

Irix
'Happy' from GRRR Live! :

[www.YouTube.com] - (available 2-Dec-2022, 0:00am) - Audio: [Music.Apple.com] .

That sounds real good. Very nice vocals by Keith especially considering the period. Tempo a little slower too, signs of the band still getting out of the previous 5 year hiatus.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 3, 2022 05:39

thumbs down

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 3, 2022 06:41

UPGRADE! AWESOME!

John Mayer Respectable included - a dream come true!!! Great performance!

Date: December 3, 2022 06:48

You can't always get what you want, but that doesn't appear to be the case for
Katy Perry and John Mayer. The duo cozied up at the Rolling Stones concert at
the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Thursday night.

Respectable

Actually, the first verse of Respectable was a train wreck but the rest of the song was the best! Surely, the first verse was fixed for this release.

I like John's performance with the Stones in Anaheim 2013 very much too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 06:52 by exilestones.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 3, 2022 07:04

Gotta love Mayer.

Gaga, meh, not so much. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2022 07:09

Katy and Mayer ... that didnt bloom ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 3, 2022 07:18

LeonidP
mick64
each time the covers are more horrible there are no photos of the concert a multinational company that has this hood

Cover should be a photo of the concert? Said who? Cover is great, bound to catch your eye when you enter a store, unlike the same old of a concert picture.

Spodlumt
I wouldn't pay two cents to own this. All these duets were horrible.

100%, duets have been played out since the Four Flicks era.

"A store".

What store would that be?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 3, 2022 10:10

exilestones
UPGRADE! AWESOME!

Uhmmmm...no. Imo just some overblown, overexcited, faceless guitar wiggle-diddle that does not fit the song at all. Ronnie's barely better on this one. Keith reminds us how it should be done. Mayer fits the Stones just like Jeff Beck: Zero. NIL.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2022 13:45

retired_dog
exilestones
UPGRADE! AWESOME!

Uhmmmm...no. Imo just some overblown, overexcited, faceless guitar wiggle-diddle that does not fit the song at all. Ronnie's barely better on this one. Keith reminds us how it should be done. Mayer fits the Stones just like Jeff Beck: Zero. NIL.
You should've seen Katy Perry with the Stones (Vegas Beast of Burden) confused smiley

Actually, she wasn't horrible but wish it would've been someone closer to the Stones musically.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 3, 2022 14:15

Doxa
StonedRambler
ribbelchips
StonedRambler
ribbelchips
Maybe I'll buy the Blu-ray disc. Assuming it's at least 1080P resolution and in widescreen this time? It must be, right?

I skipped Licks in New York, Copacobana and Bridges to Buenos Aires since I have more than enough 'Vegas Stones' liveshows and I hardly listen to them (and even then I skip songs like Miss You and YCAGWYW).

Bridges to buenos aires is really good! No Vegas at all.

I mean the era, the predictable setlists ect. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Stones shows, but personally I don't really enjoy listening to live versions of Satisfaction, Miss You or YCAGWYW from s anymore. I often listen to the 'gems'. The vote songs, the surprises like She's a rainbow, Fool to Cry, Worried Bout You and so on.. So a Spotify release is good enough for me when it comes to audio. I think I honestly never played the Bridges to Bremen or Sweet Summer Sun audio discs.

So in the 70s they didn't have predictable setlist? The setlist was almost always the same every night back then. They have much more variation in their setlists since the 90s.

I guess the notable difference is that back in the old days the setlist changed not within a tour but from a tour to tour. So take all their tours in, say, America from 1969 (or 1964) to 1989 you will no see just the set lists changing a lot, but the whole band and their sound changing as well. The latter makes that even though the amount of 'war horses' was minimal, they always sounded different from a tour to tour.

The idea that the setlists should vary within a tour and from a gig to gig is a sign of the modern era when the band doesn't evolve or change and neither is able - or is wanted - to add anything novel in terms of new music and sound. All there is left to offer in terms of novelty and difference is to vary setlists. They do that, even though the amount of 'war horses' is nowadays terrible. I mean, if one goes to almost to any gig during the last ten years, one would hear the same about dozen songs that are played pretty similarly from a tour to tour. That's a huge percentage of the show. That makes it pretty predictable, no matter the amount of different songs played within a tour.

Back in the old days the hardcore fans didn't didn't go to see The Stones in order to catch some less played rarity from the past nor they didn't count how many songs they would play. There wasn't media either available to report those things online from a gig to gig. Were they ignorant or were they up to something else that made those things not to matter that much?

Different times.

Anyway, the outcome is that looking in retrospect, I think the stance by rippelchips is pretty understable. Probably it is not that thrilling to hear the same songs played similarly again and again, and that the only difference is the rarely played "gems". As far as their official releases go, I feel pretty the same. Personally I would even add there the guests making this new release a bit more interesting, since they offer something unique and different to familiar tunes and versions. I mean, say, if there wasn't Bruce in "Tumbling Dice" how would that version differ from countless others?

- Doxa

This probably doesn't need saying but they have been stuck in a rut playing pretty much the same 20 songs for several decades now, give or take a few newbies and oldies thrown into the mix now again.

In all honesty, who is really interested in watching these tepid performances over and over again? You've seen one show in the last 10 years, you've seen them all.

Frankly, they should be putting up these shows for free on their Youtube channel as Metallica did and focusing on cementing their legacy with some decent archival work like their peers.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: December 3, 2022 14:18

Happy sounds very good to me.

Ill buy the bluray forsure.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 3, 2022 14:55

Both Happy and Respectable sound slow to me compared with how they were originally performed live.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 15:00

Kingbeebuzz
Both Happy and Respectable sound slow to me compared with how they were originally performed live.

The Stones used to play songs super fast live in the past. Since 2012 they try to stick more to the tempo of the original recordings which sounds good to me. Although I enjoy the super fast Satisfaction from Salt Lake City 05 too.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:12

Rockman
Katy and Mayer ... that didnt bloom ....

LOL. Good one, Rock!!!

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: December 3, 2022 17:13

hockenheim95
Kingbeebuzz

The Stones used to play songs super fast live in the past. Since 2012 they try to stick more to the tempo of the original recordings which sounds good to me. Although I enjoy the super fast Satisfaction from Salt Lake City 05 too.

Probably it was Chuck's decision as a musical director to slow down most songs in 2012 because he didn't think Charlie or Keith were capable of playing like in the past.

It was the start of a new more predictable era for the Stones in some way.

The 50th anniversary gigs in 2012 could've been a nice swan song for them as a band.

Date: December 3, 2022 17:47

Rolling Stones to Release All-Star 50th Anniversary Show as Live Album
Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen, John Mayer, and many more feature on upcoming live album Grrr Live!, capturing the band's Dec. 2012 show in Newark

BY DANIEL KREPS

Bruce Springsteen and Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones performs at the Prudential Center on December 15, 2012

TEN YEARS AFTER the Rolling Stones embarked on their 50th-anniversary tour, the epic, guest-filled New Jersey gig from that trek will be released as the live album Grrr Live!

The double-disc set — a nod to the Stones’ 2012 best-of collection Grrr! — spotlights the band’s Dec. 15, 2012, show at Newark, New Jersey’s Prudential Center, a concert that featured a litany of surprise guests like Lady Gaga (on “Gimme Shelter”), John Mayer and Gary Clark Jr. (“Going Down”), the Black Keys (“Who Do You Love?”), and Jersey’s own Bruce Springsteen, who performed “Tumbling Dice” alongside Mick Jagger and company.

As the 50 & Counting tour marked the Stones’ 50th anniversary, the setlist boasted hits from throughout the band’s catalog, from their first original single, “The Last Time,” to the then-new songs “One More Shot” and “Doom and Gloom” that were exclusive to the Grrr! comp.

The Dec. 15, 2012, show was originally broadcast via pay-per-view but has remained unavailable until Grrr Live!’s release on Feb. 10, 2023. In addition to the live album — available to preorder on 3LP and 2CD formats — the concert film has also been remixed and re-edited for its DVD and Blu-ray release. Additionally, three more songs from the previous Newark show on Dec. 13, 2012 — including a rendition of “Respectable” with John Mayer — feature as bonus tracks on the DVD.

Grrr! Live Track List

CD1

Get Off Of My Cloud
The Last Time
It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (with Lady Gaga)
Wild Horses
Going Down (with John Mayer and Gary Clark Jr)
Dead Flowers
Who Do You Love? (with The Black Keys)
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Band Introductions

CD2

Before They Make Me Run
Happy
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice (with Bruce Springsteen)
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For the Devil
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 17:50 by exilestones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 3, 2022 22:44

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
mick64
each time the covers are more horrible there are no photos of the concert a multinational company that has this hood

Cover should be a photo of the concert? Said who? Cover is great, bound to catch your eye when you enter a store, unlike the same old of a concert picture.

Spodlumt

"A store".

step outside once in a blue moon

Date: December 4, 2022 07:56

TeaAtThree
Irix
Large picture of the Cover - for those who are interested in the elements of which the Stones-lettering consists:

Large picture

WTF? It feels like two seconds of thought goes into most recent covers, and when they spend any more than the requisite two seconds, they come up with something like this????

T@3

It should say

THE SIMIAN DISASTER - LIVE!

But given what it is called, it obviously took .035ths of a second to come up with the name and "artwork".

Date: December 5, 2022 20:28

All I hear is Doom and Gloom

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: December 5, 2022 21:36

Man, Keith is young on those pics. 10 years already aye.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: December 6, 2022 02:04

Loved that version of Going Down

Date: December 6, 2022 04:48

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
mick64

Spodlumt

"A store".

step outside once in a blue moon

I do. I see nothing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 6, 2022 04:57

retired_dog
exilestones
UPGRADE! AWESOME!

Are you deaf or just clueless?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2022 05:31

exilestones
All I hear is Doom and Gloom

LOL

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2022 05:49

Topi
Gotta love Mayer.

Gaga, meh, not so much. smiling smiley

I thought the Gaga song was hilarious...she was rockin' high heels and I thought she was gonna fall over and Mick looked like he was trying not to laugh.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2022 08:37

More Hot Rocks
retired_dog
exilestones
UPGRADE! AWESOME!

Are you deaf or just clueless?

Neither, just a man of musical taste - and good manners, unlike you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 6, 2022 09:31

Unfortunately it means we'll have to wait until summer for another vault release. Hopefully we'll finally get Paris '76, or Knebworth, or both. (Though I know we won't get both).

I won't buy this one. My local library will eventually have it. That's how I saw Ole, some other south american one, and Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. See 'em once and never see 'em again. Unlike El Mocambo, that I can't stop playing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home