Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 23
Re: The Rolling Stones GRRR Live!
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 1, 2022 11:17

Doxa
Consulted my memory and Gazza's set list site.

Some positive points:
- 23 songs. That's more than usual (since A Bigger Bang Tour it's been, say, 18-20 tunes typically). This seems to be an important feature for some people.
- they started with "Get Off of My Cloud". That was an unique thing at the time before they stuck back to the 'obvious' openers like "Flash" and"Start Me Up". For me the opening number has always been an important thing, like giving a certain own character to a tour.
- they played following six numbers in a row: "Wild Horses", "Going Down", "Dead Flowers", "Who Do You Love?", "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot". Not probably that thrilling musically and some tunes not that rare, but anyone going to a Stones concert cannot be sure hearing any of those tunes. Now six in a row. So for those who like to complain about too predictable setlists, this is not so bad.
- Charlie, Lisa, Bobby & Taylor. This sounds like a modern day dream team they had on stage at the time.

Negative points:
- it must've been thrilling, like always, to witness the show live, but I only saw it from a telly at the time, and unfortunately it was a downer to me. The show sounded thin, and the band shallow, like being a not that good Stones tribute band. Especially the opening numbers were really weak performance-wise, like setting the show in a wrong feet. The only highlights I recall were Lady GaGa's looks and Taylor in "Rambler".
- unfortunately that little ad clip brings exactly the same feelings into my mind as the show did at the time. That it being mixed probably a bit better does not make a difference.

- Doxa

The trailer sounds worse than I remember it, and my memory is of a fairly average, lacklustre show from that era. There's no punch or drive from the band at all, it just sounds like they're phoning it in.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 11:31

Oh oh oh be careful, whining is not allowed here!

Re: Rolling Stones Live at Newark 2012 to be released
Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: December 1, 2022 11:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-01 11:38 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 1, 2022 12:07

GivenToFly15
Oh oh oh be careful, whining is not allowed here!
Since when? winking smiley

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 1, 2022 12:24

Maybe I'll buy the Blu-ray disc. Assuming it's at least 1080P resolution and in widescreen this time? It must be, right?

I skipped Licks in New York, Copacobana and Bridges to Buenos Aires since I have more than enough 'Vegas Stones' liveshows and I hardly listen to them (and even then I skip songs like Miss You and YCAGWYW).

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 1, 2022 14:59

Micks vocals were quite rusy back then. A lot of straining. These says he sounds so much better (I think from 2014 on)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-01 15:03 by StonedRambler.

Date: December 1, 2022 15:04

ribbelchips
Maybe I'll buy the Blu-ray disc. Assuming it's at least 1080P resolution and in widescreen this time? It must be, right?

I skipped Licks in New York, Copacobana and Bridges to Buenos Aires since I have more than enough 'Vegas Stones' liveshows and I hardly listen to them (and even then I skip songs like Miss You and YCAGWYW).

Bridges to buenos aires is really good! No Vegas at all.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 1, 2022 15:09

I'm happy with this release and will definitely buy it, by the way I really liked Bruce S. on TD, the only thing I would have liked is a version of Lady Jane, they rarely played it live and the London version it was fantastic.
However these releases are always done on the cheap, because they don't have a large market, so it is cheaper to use the version of the concert broadcast on tvpay, than a version that requires a lot of work.
Many wonder why few things from the pre-75 period came out, I think there are mainly two reasons, there is no quality material to use (few things were filmed at the time), what little there is is often low quality and requires a lot of work to be used, with a large increase in costs.
Let us always remember that apart from us most ardent fans, this material has no market, fortunately the Stones have many ardent fans, but it is not sufficient to cover the costs of material which must be strongly "fixed".

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 1, 2022 16:16

'Happy' from GRRR Live! :

[www.YouTube.com] - (available 2-Dec-2022, 0:00am) - Audio: [Music.Apple.com] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2022 18:23

voodoodrew
Should’ve been called LiveGRRR than You’ll Ever Be!

Not bad.

OR

GOT GRRR IF YOU WANT IT.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 1, 2022 18:33

First Stones release that I will pass on, can't stand John Mayer and too many guests

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: December 1, 2022 21:22

I get the feeling Mick is giving advice on these mixes, might explain why his vocals are mixed so high.

From the trailer this almost sounds like those horrible bootleg IEM recordings with Mick way upfront, not what a rock band should sound like.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 1, 2022 23:07

Hate any guests with the Stones. This is an album I wouldn't even bother streaming.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 23:11

WorriedAboutYou
Hate any guests with the Stones. This is an album I wouldn't even bother streaming.

There are 19 songs without guests on it

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 2, 2022 00:08

Lady Gaga did a good job on GS, she was my favorite among the female guests who sang on GS.
The trailer's audio looks good and much better than what's circulating today.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 2, 2022 01:27

treaclefingers
voodoodrew
Should’ve been called LiveGRRR than You’ll Ever Be!

Not bad.

OR

GOT GRRR IF YOU WANT IT.

Brilliant title.
Made my day.
+1000

T@3

Re: Rolling Stones Live at Newark 2012 to be released
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 02:51

custom55
I Was at the show. Ticket prices were INSANE but I paid it.

Me too. I think I paid $850 for one of the shows and that was the TM price! I only live 20 mins from Newark so how could I not go?

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 2, 2022 04:37

I was there on the 13th. Not a Mayer fan either. He did not sing, but he really kicked ass on Respectable. I was impressed!

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: December 2, 2022 07:33

NilsHolgersson
I wish they would sell standalone blurays like before, I dont need the 2cd set, I dont even have a cd player in the living room anymore, I only stream with spotify.

You do know that Blu-ray players play CD’s?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 07:38 by bonddm.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 2, 2022 11:26

StonedRambler
ribbelchips

I mean the era, the predictable setlists ect. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Stones shows, but personally I don't really enjoy listening to live versions of Satisfaction, Miss You or YCAGWYW from s anymore. I often listen to the 'gems'. The vote songs, the surprises like She's a rainbow, Fool to Cry, Worried Bout You and so on.. So a Spotify release is good enough for me when it comes to audio. I think I honestly never played the Bridges to Bremen or Sweet Summer Sun audio discs.

Date: December 2, 2022 12:53

ribbelchips
StonedRambler
ribbelchips

I mean the era, the predictable setlists ect. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Stones shows, but personally I don't really enjoy listening to live versions of Satisfaction, Miss You or YCAGWYW from s anymore. I often listen to the 'gems'. The vote songs, the surprises like She's a rainbow, Fool to Cry, Worried Bout You and so on.. So a Spotify release is good enough for me when it comes to audio. I think I honestly never played the Bridges to Bremen or Sweet Summer Sun audio discs.

So in the 70s they didn't have predictable setlist? The setlist was almost always the same every night back then. They have much more variation in their setlists since the 90s.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2022 13:30

Large picture of the Cover - for those who are interested in the elements of which the Stones-lettering consists:

Large picture

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 2, 2022 13:42

They should have Bill and Mick Taylor - and the El Mo palm tree - there instead of these "elements"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 13:43 by Topi.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 2, 2022 14:01

lrix thanks for posting the large cover. I like it better already.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:08

Irix
'Happy' from GRRR Live! :

[www.YouTube.com] - (available 2-Dec-2022, 0:00am) - Audio: [Music.Apple.com] .
Happy like Happy.
Still feel the mix is a bit bass heavy. The rest is usual late day live/archive mixes. Brickwalled with guitars panned left/right and vocal sticking upfront in the center. No surprise.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:18

StonedRambler
ribbelchips
StonedRambler
ribbelchips

So in the 70s they didn't have predictable setlist? The setlist was almost always the same every night back then. They have much more variation in their setlists since the 90s.

I guess the notable difference is that back in the old days the setlist changed not within a tour but from a tour to tour. So take all their tours in, say, America from 1969 (or 1964) to 1989 you will no see just the set lists changing a lot, but the whole band and their sound changing as well. The latter makes that even though the amount of 'war horses' was minimal, they always sounded different from a tour to tour.

The idea that the setlists should vary within a tour and from a gig to gig is a sign of the modern era when the band doesn't evolve or change and neither is able - or is wanted - to add anything novel in terms of new music and sound. All there is left to offer in terms of novelty and difference is to vary setlists. They do that, even though the amount of 'war horses' is nowadays terrible. I mean, if one goes to almost to any gig during the last ten years, one would hear the same about dozen songs that are played pretty similarly from a tour to tour. That's a huge percentage of the show. That makes it pretty predictable, no matter the amount of different songs played within a tour.

Back in the old days the hardcore fans didn't didn't go to see The Stones in order to catch some less played rarity from the past nor they didn't count how many songs they would play. There wasn't media either available to report those things online from a gig to gig. Were they ignorant or were they up to something else that made those things not to matter that much?

Different times.

Anyway, the outcome is that looking in retrospect, I think the stance by rippelchips is pretty understable. Probably it is not that thrilling to hear the same songs played similarly again and again, and that the only difference is the rarely played "gems". As far as their official releases go, I feel pretty the same. Personally I would even add there the guests making this new release a bit more interesting, since they offer something unique and different to familiar tunes and versions. I mean, say, if there wasn't Bruce in "Tumbling Dice" how would that version differ from countless others?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 15:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:40

mick64
each time the covers are more horrible there are no photos of the concert a multinational company that has this hood

Cover should be a photo of the concert? Said who? Cover is great, bound to catch your eye when you enter a store, unlike the same old of a concert picture.

Spodlumt
I wouldn't pay two cents to own this. All these duets were horrible.

100%, duets have been played out since the Four Flicks era.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 16:20

Just listened to Happy on Spotify and directly compared it to the sound of Happy from Licked Live in NYC and Copacabana. On Licks release the guitars are way louder and clearer in the mix but the sound is much more dryer on Licks. I think the sound is not bad on GRRR Live! Yes a bit too much bass, guitars too low but better than Licks and Copacabana. And way better than the horrible Buenos Aires and Miami sound!!!

It's funny that the start of Happy sounds so much better on the Licks release but as soon as the whole band joins in Grrr sounds better ballanced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 16:22 by hockenheim95.

Date: December 2, 2022 16:59

YouTube credits do not say Sam Wheat but Declan Gaffney.

Did Sam Wheat got kicked finally? hot smiley

Still Mazed Murad as a mastering engineer though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 17:00 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: December 2, 2022 19:44

Doxa
I guess the notable difference is that back in the old days the setlist changed not within a tour but from a tour to tour. So take all their tours in, say, America from 1969 (or 1964) to 1989 you will no see just the set lists changing a lot, but the whole band and their sound changing as well. The latter makes that even though the amount of 'war horses' was minimal, they always sounded different from a tour to tour.

The idea that the setlists should vary within a tour and from a gig to gig is a sign of the modern era when the band doesn't evolve or change and neither is able - or is wanted - to add anything novel in terms of new music and sound. All there is left to offer in terms of novelty and difference is to vary setlists. They do that, even though the amount of 'war horses' is nowadays terrible. I mean, if one goes to almost to any gig during the last ten years, one would hear the same about dozen songs that are played pretty similarly from a tour to tour. That's a huge percentage of the show. That makes it pretty predictable, no matter the amount of different songs played within a tour.

Back in the old days the hardcore fans didn't didn't go to see The Stones in order to catch some less played rarity from the past nor they didn't count how many songs they would play. There wasn't media either available to report those things online from a gig to gig. Were they ignorant or were they up to something else that made those things not to matter that much?

Different times.

- Doxa

very well said (written), totally agree

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home