Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD
Date: November 11, 2022 12:43

padre69
I believe most (not all, but most) albums nowadays use the same mastering for cd and vinyl. All from the same digital source.
So the case is indeed often about the ”warmer, friendlier and nicer” feel of the vinyl. Nothing wrong about that, is there? If it feels better for whatever reason, it can’t be THAT bad of a thing. There are worse things in life.

Not the same mastering, but sometimes the same source for mastering.

Vinyl has to be mastered differently, because of the difference in technology (bass frequencies must be enhanced etc.)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 11, 2022 12:53

DandelionPowderman
padre69
I believe most (not all, but most) albums nowadays use the same mastering for cd and vinyl. All from the same digital source.
So the case is indeed often about the ”warmer, friendlier and nicer” feel of the vinyl. Nothing wrong about that, is there? If it feels better for whatever reason, it can’t be THAT bad of a thing. There are worse things in life.

Not the same mastering, but sometimes the same source for mastering.

Vinyl has to be mastered differently, because of the difference in technology (bass frequencies must be enhanced etc.)

thumbs up

Yep, and the qualities of the source are fundamental to the results.

The most skilled and tasteful mastering engineer in the world will not be able to deliver a good and musical result if the source files are compressed to hell before he even starts !

But with a good flat digital master as the source , you can still acheive great sounding LPs if the right decisions are made by the engineer.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 11, 2022 13:50

Vinyl has morphed out of its niche market and now out sells CDs, particularly in the US. In fact most used record stores really are having a hard time moving CDs. Vinyl, as was stated above, is a very stable platform for music. And when played on good equipment and properly cared for lasts indefinitely. CDs are prone to a lot of ill effects. CD rot (mold within the CD), degradation of the digital encoding, and damage to the plastic. When a CD has a scuff on the plastic it ruins the entire digital track, whereas you get a pop or one skip on vinyl you can continue playing.
I have a large vinyl collection and my albums from way back in High School still sound amazing!

Date: November 11, 2022 13:57

Yep ,

So You'll be well aware that an origial pressing in decent knick usually remains the benchmark for sound quality.

[I don't think degradation of CDs is a significant issue, unless they're kept in sandpaper sleaves or stored in a swamp ...

...the real problem with CD is that it's simply not good enough to be a true "High Fidelity" storage medium for music.]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 11, 2022 14:35

whitem8

Vinyl has morphed out of its niche market and now out sells CDs, particularly in the US.

That's because the 2021 US-market was 83% streaming and 11% physical media - [www.RIAA.com] - (PDF).

In the [www.RIAA.com] US-Sales Database you can do an interactive comparison - 2021 Vinyl (LP/EP) value is higher than CD/SACD, but 2021 shipped units of CD/SACD are still somewhat higher than LP/EP.

Date: November 11, 2022 14:49

I'm not bothered about the numbers.

I'm just thankful that in these latest few years we once again have the option of buying new music on vinyl if we so choose.

[Even if the industry does seem to have forgotten how to maufacture round, flat records with the hole in the middle ! grinning smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-11 14:49 by Spud.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 11, 2022 14:51

whitem8

When a CD has a scuff on the plastic it ruins the entire digital track, whereas you get a pop or one skip on vinyl you can continue playing.

In the last 30 years, I've never had such an issue with CDs because I'm just as careful with CDs as with Vinyl-LPs. Also had no issues with Disc-rot in the same timeframe (except with cheap CD-Rs).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2022 17:22

Irix
whitem8

When a CD has a scuff on the plastic it ruins the entire digital track, whereas you get a pop or one skip on vinyl you can continue playing.

In the last 30 years, I've never had such an issue with CDs because I'm just as careful with CDs as with Vinyl-LPs. Also had no issues with Disc-rot in the same timeframe (except with cheap CD-Rs).

You've clearly never had a party! There was a time period when I used to have a lot of parties, and any 'new' CDs from that period look horrific. I think some people used them as beer coasters, though when I look at the title, probably were better used as beer coasters.

That said my stones cd's are pristine.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home