Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: November 8, 2022 10:31

Is the Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD somewhere in Stonesvault? If so, can somebody post the link?

Re: Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD
Date: November 8, 2022 12:28

The DVD with only a couple of tracks? Can't recall any other DVD in the Deluxe set.

Date: November 8, 2022 12:36

The DVD in [www.discogs.com]

Hasn't got a lot in it, but it's more than just a couple of tracks.

Date: November 8, 2022 12:39

Ah, I forgot about the promo videos!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 8, 2022 13:15

stonesman87

The DVD in [www.discogs.com]

DVD-1 Respectable (Official Music Video)
DVD-2 Far Away Eyes (Official Music Video)
DVD-3 Miss You (Official Music Video)
DVD-4 Beast Of Burden (Some Girls Live In Texas '78)
DVD-5 Shattered (Some Girls Live In Texas '78)
DVD-6 Tumbling Dice (Some Girls Live In Texas '78)

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 8, 2022 13:54

A lot better is Somegirls: Live in Texas 78, the whole show and 4 tracks from Sat night live. Some copies have the show on both DVD and cd.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 8, 2022 14:02

Weird that the Wiki link doesn’t seem to mention the vinyl/DVD version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-09 03:48 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: November 8, 2022 22:20

Meanwhile, back to the subject:

Is the Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD somewhere in Stonesvault? If so, can somebody post the link?

Date: November 8, 2022 22:30

stonesman87

Is the Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition DVD somewhere in Stonesvault?

Have a look into the Stonesvault spread-sheet: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 8, 2022 22:48

It's official stuff...we are Not allowed to post this here...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 10, 2022 09:56

Why in the hell don't they release the Some Girls deluxe on vinyl! I love the bonus disc, and actually they could have released that as a separate album ala Tattoo You! It is so good! Especially, Fiji Jim! ROCKIN!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 10, 2022 11:36

whitem8
Why in the hell don't they release the Some Girls deluxe on vinyl! I love the bonus disc, and actually they could have released that as a separate album ala Tattoo You! It is so good! Especially, Fiji Jim! ROCKIN!

thumbs up A big Amen to that . I love the SG "bonus material" ,

For me, it stands up as an album in its own right better than all the other "out- takes" from other deluxe reissues and I'd really love to hear it on vinyl.

Edited to add,

I first bought the CD and Blue Ray varient of the SG Live in Texas release because I couldn't at that time get my hands on the vinyl .
Then I bought the vinyl and DVD combination .
I've played the vinyl a hell of a lot .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-10 11:42 by Spud.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 10, 2022 14:37

whitem8

Hardly worth it for the 10 people on IORR who will buy it.

Date: November 10, 2022 15:23

SG didn't catch the top of the vinyl resurgance wave I'm afraid.

The subsequent SF and GHS and TY deluxe reissues got the vinyl option for the "bonus tracks" , whereas the previous SG and EOMS didn't .

Had to tolerate CDs for those .sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-10 15:26 by Spud.

Date: November 10, 2022 15:28

Spud
SG didn't catch the top of the vinyl resurgance wave I'm afraid.

The subsequent SF and GHS and TY deluxe reissues got the vinyl option for the "bonus tracks" , whereas the previous SG and EOMS didn't .

Had to tolerate CDs for those .sad smiley

The Leeds-show should also have been released on vinyl.

There's always something to complain about, hehe smiling smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 10, 2022 15:31

whitem8
Because in 2011 vinyl was a niche product. I believe, it still is. The superiority and rebirth of vinyl is overrated. It is just another commercial buzz fueled by millennials nowadays.

Just compare number of complains from digital world guys and those who listen to the records.

Digital guys will only tell you about high volume and compression issues. But because most of The Rolling Stones fans are deaf to some extent, this does not matter much.

Those from records world - off centered discs, surface noise, scratches, warping, damage upon arrival from amazon. You name it. Not to mention that sound defects tend to increase with the usage.

Vinyl is for maniacs only. Those who like to suffer winking smiley.

Date: November 10, 2022 15:41

Musical information survives quite well the various types of noise and distortion that analogue recording and playback systems generate.

The less overtly audible [but far more insidious] distortions present in all but the best digital media compromise the musical experience much more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2022 15:53

Spud
Musical information survives quite well the various types of noise and distortion that analogue recording and playback systems generate.

The less overtly audible [but far more insidious] distortions present in all but the best digital media compromise the musical experience much more.

I've read, some time ago now, about how CDs degrade over time and given the relatively short existence of the format that is troubling - though I guess for digital that format is already obsolete.

I contrast that with vinyl, or even shellac. I've purchases 50 or 60 old shellac titles and a turntable with a dedicated stylus for shellac. Played through a modern system the sound is revelatory. Playing a 110 year old disc, with all the limitations of the recording in the day sounds fantastic. So my long winded way of agreeing with you, the music survives exceptionally well, if the original format is well pressed and cared for.

Date: November 10, 2022 16:48

treaclefingers
Spud

I've read, some time ago now, about how CDs degrade over time and given the relatively short existence of the format that is troubling - though I guess for digital that format is already obsolete.

I contrast that with vinyl, or even shellac. I've purchases 50 or 60 old shellac titles and a turntable with a dedicated stylus for shellac. Played through a modern system the sound is revelatory. Playing a 110 year old disc, with all the limitations of the recording in the day sounds fantastic. So my long winded way of agreeing with you, the music survives exceptionally well, if the original format is well pressed and cared for.

thumbs up

Modern digital recording technology is increasingly very good . Early Digital, CD included, just wasn't good enough and the failings were very poorly understood.

Most analogue distortions are additive by nature , tape noise, vinyl noise , electromechanical resonances...all kinds of crap .

But ...the ear and brain are quite good at listening through all this rubbish to the relatively intact musical information behind it to enjoy a rewarding musical experience.

Digital distortions on the other hand tend to be subtractive by nature, losing some musical information in the A to D and D to A conversion processes.

If information is missing, your ear can't put it back .

This is why Digital recordings [especially older ones ] often just don't sound quite "right" .
You can't put your finger on why...but they just don't do it for you .

On high a high end Hi Fi system , Digital can often sound like a perfect recording of poor musicians !

Does that make any sense ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-10 16:49 by Spud.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 10, 2022 17:58

I got to listen to the recent Tattoo You release on vinyl, and it was fantastic. Of course I it was the first playing, which is almost always the best for that format. I know from growing up that vinyl degrades with each play.

I have heard some mind blowingly good CDs, usually with the Dolby Atmos mix on bonus material, or Blu Ray music CDs, or SHM CDs. '

I remember that talk about CDs degrading over time. I built my early CD collection in the mid-80s through the infamous Columbia Record Club. My James Taylor Greatest Hits CD that I've had all these years sounds just as good as it did back then. Steel Wheels was my first Stones CD. It sounds fine, though I've replaced it with a SHM CD version. (Not the best, I should have got the flat transfer).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 11, 2022 10:46

Not true, they released Exile on Main Street deluxe on vinyl. All their deluxe releases have been on vinyl. And no vinyl is not just a resurgence fueled by millennials. Vinyl sounds better. Better quality, better fidelity. And better artistic statement. I also collect HD digital files. But CDS are terrible! And not eternal. They do degrade over time. And totally overpriced.

Date: November 11, 2022 11:01

I must have missed the Exile Deluxe on vinyl then !

You do mean that it was released with the bonus material on vinyl ?

I did buy the reissue of the original album at the time....and the later half speed Abbey Road remaster by Miles Showell .

[Interestingly, his subsequent half speed re-mastering for the 71-2016 boxed set sounds quite different.]

Date: November 11, 2022 11:10

Spud

I did buy the reissue of the original album at the time....and the later half speed Abbey Road remaster by Miles Showell .

[Interestingly, his subsequent half speed re-mastering for the 71-2016 boxed set sounds quite different.]

No the bonus material was only included as a cd. At least in my Super Deluxe-copy..

Date: November 11, 2022 11:15

whitem8

Vinyl sounds better. Better quality, better fidelity. And better artistic statement.

Not always. The German HiFi-Magazine Stereo (1/2022, p.141) wrote about the Vinyl-LP of the 2021 ABBA album Voyage : "HiFi enthusiasts naturally ask, also and especially against the background of the often first-class produced earlier ABBA albums: 'And how does it sound?' Unfortunately, there's not much to discover in this respect. The whole thing sounds sugary and viscous like thickened pop syrup. Just as the music seems to have been composed for people who still experienced the great ABBA era live, the sound is radically oriented towards today's listening habits and devices: The dynamics are completely flat, and there is also a lack of freshness and brilliance. Everything seems somehow mixed for kitchen radios, car stereos or thinly squawking smartphones. A real pity!" The HiRes-file of the 2021 ABBA album sounds the same. ABBA belongs now to Universal Music - like the Rolling Stones.

Date: November 11, 2022 11:16

24FPS
I got to listen to the recent Tattoo You release on vinyl, and it was fantastic. Of course I it was the first playing, which is almost always the best for that format. I know from growing up that vinyl degrades with each play.

I have heard some mind blowingly good CDs, usually with the Dolby Atmos mix on bonus material, or Blu Ray music CDs, or SHM CDs. '

I remember that talk about CDs degrading over time. I built my early CD collection in the mid-80s through the infamous Columbia Record Club. My James Taylor Greatest Hits CD that I've had all these years sounds just as good as it did back then. Steel Wheels was my first Stones CD. It sounds fine, though I've replaced it with a SHM CD version. (Not the best, I should have got the flat transfer).

Yes vinyl does technically wear and degrade over time .[The first play isn't actually the best...it kind of runs it in grinning smiley]

But the reason most of us recall our old records wearing out so noticeably was that we didn't look after them and often played them on poor quality turntables, with worn old styli, tracking with about half a pound downforce and doing a bloody good impression of a cutting head !

Records played on decent equipment, with a correctly set up arm and cartridge in good condition , will not significantly degrade with use ...no matter how often you typically play them.

Edited to add.

[Every now and then you can get a really nice surprise with an old second hand record that looks completely knackered .
Some of the crude old styli in the 60s an 70s didn't get anywhere near the part of the groove wall tracked by a modern high quality diamond profile .

The grooves may then be revealed to be in remarkably good nick when played on a good deck with a decent spec'd cartridge. ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-11 11:32 by Spud.

Date: November 11, 2022 11:20

DandelionPowderman
Spud

No the bonus material was only included as a cd. At least in my Super Deluxe-copy..

Thanks Dandy . That's a relief . Thought I'd slipped up there grinning smiley

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 11, 2022 11:23

I bought the Some Girls bonus album on vinyl some years ago from some record fair. It’s a boot obviously made from the cd, but it’s ok while waiting the official vinyl to be released.
I love vinyl, because the artwork is also a big thing for me. Just like books. I read e-books, but if something special comes out I want to own it as a physical format. And it it includes photos as large as as possible. And Rolling Stones is something special, on books and albums. For both ears and eyes.

Date: November 11, 2022 11:24

padre69
I bought the Some Girls bonus album on vinyl some years ago from some record fair. It’s a boot obviously made from the cd, but it’s ok while waiting the official vinyl to be released.
I love vinyl, because the artwork is also a big thing for me. Just like books. I read e-books, but if something special comes out I want to own it as a physical format. And it it includes photos as large as as possible. And Rolling Stones is something special, on books and albums. For both ears and eyes.

It is indeed.

Date: November 11, 2022 12:08

I was aware of the boot ...and whilst I do love the feel and vibe of the vinyl for its own sake...there's no point in having an LP that's mastered from a CD .

Nothing can sound better than the source its derived from .

[Yes it might still sound "warmer" , "friendlier" , "nicer " than the CD ...but it can only have lost further musical information in the conversion and mastering process.]

and fotunately, as CDs go, the SG Bonus disc doesn't sound too bad.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 11, 2022 12:32

I believe most (not all, but most) albums nowadays use the same mastering for cd and vinyl. All from the same digital source.
So the case is indeed often about the ”warmer, friendlier and nicer” feel of the vinyl. Nothing wrong about that, is there? If it feels better for whatever reason, it can’t be THAT bad of a thing. There are worse things in life.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1554
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home