Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "The Last Time" DES Remix
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2022 04:43

.... wash it down with Bombay Sapphire Sunset ..... smooth baby smooth

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2022 05:11

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
If I played Start Me Up on my computer and recorded it on my phone, in mono, then played it again and recorded it on my phone in 3D steroe, then combined the two recordings into one, that's a remix.

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

Come on. Peanut butter and jelly is spicy? How long is a piece of string?

I'm afraid you simply don't get it, despite the explanations in above posts, exilestones' in particular.

Tiger Rogers made a DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo) taken from a mono recording.

The same technique, developed by Peter Jackson, has been used by Giles Martin for the new official "Revolver" stereo remix to split instruments that were recorded together on the same track of a multitrack tape. Or for the stereo soundtrack of the Beatles Get Back TV series where the rehearsals were for the most part recorded on mono nagra tapes only.

These are not "fake mixes". As exilestones wrote, there are indeed bad amateur stereo mixes available, but Tiger Rogers usually does excellent jobs. All you have to do is actually listen BEFORE you despise them.

I did listen. I didn't notice anything much more than anything existing. Much more being key. It sounds great but it's not a huge difference and it's not a remix.

The point is, a remix involves the manipulation of the multi-track recordings and, as we've found out, sometimes changing it outright to the point of it not sounding like the original at all (Love Is Strong and Anybody Seen My Baby are good ones, unlike Miss You, Undercover, Blood, Harlem Shuffle or One Hit).

Alright, fine, but what Giles has done is beyond someone like Tiger Rogers doing what they did.

Splitting hairs? Maybe. Percentages always matter. What Giles Martin does vs anyone else... is why Giles is given the job.

The Last Time DES "remix" does sound fantastic but it's just not substantially different enough.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 12, 2022 05:35

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
If I played Start Me Up on my computer and recorded it on my phone, in mono, then played it again and recorded it on my phone in 3D steroe, then combined the two recordings into one, that's a remix.

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

I'm afraid you simply don't get it, despite the explanations in above posts, exilestones' in particular.

Tiger Rogers made a DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo) taken from a mono recording.

The same technique, developed by Peter Jackson, has been used by Giles Martin for the new official "Revolver" stereo remix to split instruments that were recorded together on the same track of a multitrack tape. Or for the stereo soundtrack of the Beatles Get Back TV series where the rehearsals were for the most part recorded on mono nagra tapes only.

These are not "fake mixes". As exilestones wrote, there are indeed bad amateur stereo mixes available, but Tiger Rogers usually does excellent jobs. All you have to do is actually listen BEFORE you despise them.

I did listen. I didn't notice anything much more than anything existing. Much more being key. It sounds great but it's not a huge difference and it's not a remix.

The point is, a remix involves the manipulation of the multi-track recordings and, as we've found out, sometimes changing it outright to the point of it not sounding like the original at all (Love Is Strong and Anybody Seen My Baby are good ones, unlike Miss You, Undercover, Blood, Harlem Shuffle or One Hit).

Alright, fine, but what Giles has done is beyond someone like Tiger Rogers doing what they did.

Splitting hairs? Maybe. Percentages always matter. What Giles Martin does vs anyone else... is why Giles is given the job.

The Last Time DES "remix" does sound fantastic but it's just not substantially different enough.

The "substantial difference" is that the original is mono and this is stereo. Technically, it's a remix. A remix does not need to alter the track until it's virtually totally unlike the original, there is no "percentage rule". If the Stones decide to do a new stereo mix of GYYYO by changing the guitar channels and bringing the bass up a bit, also add a different reverb to Jagger's lead vocals it would still qualify as a "remix" or "new stereo mix". Tiger Rogers himself calls it "mono to stereo conversion", so that is the point.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2022 05:55

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

The "substantial difference" is that the original is mono and this is stereo. Technically, it's a remix. A remix does not need to alter the track until it's virtually totally unlike the original, there is no "percentage rule". If the Stones decide to do a new stereo mix of GYYYO by changing the guitar channels and bringing the bass up a bit, also add a different reverb to Jagger's lead vocals it would still qualify as a "remix" or "new stereo mix". Tiger Rogers himself calls it "mono to stereo conversion", so that is the point.

Changing levels of tracks, effects, panning, editing, manipulation of tracks: remix.

Mono to stereo conversion? That's not a remix. Nothing has changed to the physical aspect of the recording proper. Adding reverb etc to an existing track when nothing has changed with the original mixing of the song... not a remix.

A new stereo mix of GYYYO would be a remix, just like what happened with GHS.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 13, 2022 13:55

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

Changing levels of tracks, effects, panning, editing, manipulation of tracks: remix.

Mono to stereo conversion? That's not a remix. Nothing has changed to the physical aspect of the recording proper. Adding reverb etc to an existing track when nothing has changed with the original mixing of the song... not a remix.

A new stereo mix of GYYYO would be a remix, just like what happened with GHS.

You're actually getting closer!

Again, you can only create a real stereo mix from a mono original if you use the new technology that can separate instruments and voices into different tracks and therefore creates a "multitrack tape" (well, digitally in this case). Then you do exactly the same as mixing from usual multitracks - create a stereo image by deciding where to place instruments and voices in the stereo image. Now that's exactly what Tiger Rogers did.

Like the results or not, but that doesn't change the fact that his "mono to stereo conversions" are actually (unofficial, of course) remixes, because they're real stereo mixes with instruments and vocals spread across the stereo image - and not comparable at all with the poor "electronically reprocessed stereo" known from the 60's that is basically nothing more than frequency shifts between left and right channel, but has no instrument separation at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-13 13:57 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home