Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"The Last Time" DES Remix
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 6, 2022 05:50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-11 06:18 by exilestones.

Re: Long Version of "The Last Tine" DES Remix
Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 6, 2022 14:10

Very nice!

Re: Long Version of "The Last Time" DES Remix
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 6, 2022 22:03

It’s not a remix. Just EQ ed differently

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 7, 2022 03:57

Cooltoplady

It's in stereo, so it's a remix.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 7, 2022 08:00

retired_dog
Cooltoplady

Isn’t there a genuine 1965 stereo-mix, though? Of course, this is a remix, itself.

Date: November 7, 2022 08:28

Big Al
retired_dog
Cooltoplady

Isn’t there a genuine 1965 stereo-mix, though? Of course, this is a remix, itself.

There is one, indeed, but not officially available. However, the concept of Tiger Roger's YouTube channel is to present real stereo mixes created from mono material, so I doubt that his remix and the genuine 1965 stereo-mix are the same.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 7, 2022 09:50

Whatever remix, it's dreadful.
The original balance as we knew it from very early 1965 is gone. Keith's mini "solo's" are too much on the foreground as is Mick's voice.

It often happens with remixes. The 80s Get off of my Cloud is even worse, putting Brian's "jingle" to much on the foreground. It's not about the Stones music anymore, it's just mixing guys freeking out.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 7, 2022 10:35

thumbs up
georgie48
The original balance as we knew it from very early 1965 is gone. Keith's mini "solo's" are too much on the foreground as is Mick's voice.

It often happens with remixes. The 80s Get off of my Cloud is even worse, putting Brian's "jingle" to much on the foreground. It's not about the Stones music anymore, it's just mixing guys freeking out.

smileys with beer

thumbs up
All those (amateur) (re)mixers simply have to stop, you are not going to edit a Rembrandt or Van Gogh by means of a lick of paint here or there.
Stick to the original.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 7, 2022 10:47

retired_dog
Big Al
retired_dog
Cooltoplady

There is one, indeed, but not officially available. However, the concept of Tiger Roger's YouTube channel is to present real stereo mixes created from mono material, so I doubt that his remix and the genuine 1965 stereo-mix are the same.

I've often wondered why the Beatles had dedicated stereo mixes from - almost - the get go, whilst the Stones' stereo efforts are all over the place. Regarding the Beatles: there's only five recordings that were not mixed and released in stereo: Love Me Do, P.S. I Love You, She Loves You, I'll Get You, and that obscure B-side, Look Up The Number, or whatever it's called.

It'd be nice to have a compilation of all the early Rolling Stones genuine stereo mixes... for better or worse!

Date: November 7, 2022 10:54

Big Al

It'd be nice to have a compilation of all the early Rolling Stones genuine stereo mixes... for better or worse!

Search for this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-07 11:27 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 7, 2022 18:19

retired_dog
Cooltoplady

The stereo version was done years and years ago. It’s just a new eq for that version. It’s NOT a remix

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: November 7, 2022 19:19

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-08 17:52 by wiredallnight.

Date: November 7, 2022 21:04

UrbanSteel
thumbs up
georgie48

smileys with beer

thumbs up
All those (amateur) (re)mixers simply have to stop, you are not going to edit a Rembrandt or Van Gogh by means of a lick of paint here or there.
Stick to the original.

I could not have said it better! thumbs up

smileys with beer

Date: November 7, 2022 22:41

Cooltoplady
retired_dog
Cooltoplady

The stereo version was done years and years ago. It’s just a new eq for that version. It’s NOT a remix

Sorry, but you're simply wrong. I've compared Tiger Roger's new stereo mix and the "genuine" 1965 stereo mix (officially not available, though) and they're totally different. The 1965 stereo mix has pretty much the whole band in the left channel, Mick's lead vocal in the middle and just backing vocals and short solo guitar interjections in the right channel and as a result, is sounding pretty weird to say the least.

In comparison, Tiger Roger's stereo mix sounds much better balanced, lead vocals and bass in the middle, guitars spread across the channels etc., resulting in a much more natural soundscape.

You can't do this with just a "new eq"!

If one still prefers the original mono mix is a different thing, though.

Date: November 7, 2022 22:46

wiredallnight
Neither long nor remix. Just nonsense!

Sorry to say but you're wrong. See my post above and for the record: The "long" claim does not come from Tiger Rogers, but from our own, probably over-excited exilestones only!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 7, 2022 23:16

You mean the run that is present at the beginning and during the verses? I thought that was Brian...at least he plays it on the live performances. If I misunderstand your comment, I apologize. ( in reply to georgie48)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-07 23:19 by scottkeef.

Date: November 8, 2022 16:44

scottkeef
You mean the run that is present at the beginning and during the verses? I thought that was Brian...at least he plays it on the live performances. If I misunderstand your comment, I apologize. ( in reply to georgie48)

Hi scottkeef, Brian's runs before and during the verses is indeed clearly Brian's (winking smiley). No, I mean the sharp, picky (if you like) high little solo bits before Mick starts again with ... "this could be the last time, this could be ...."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2022 07:18

A remix.

THIS is a remix.

Date: November 10, 2022 11:32

GasLightStreet
A remix.

THIS is a remix.

thumbs up indeed, all the other "amateur(re)mixen are trash.

Date: November 10, 2022 17:16

UrbanSteel
GasLightStreet
A remix.

THIS is a remix.

thumbs up indeed, all the other "amateur(re)mixen are trash.

Technically, this is indeed a remix, but musically, it's trash. At least in my ears!

Date: November 10, 2022 23:37

UrbanSteel
Big Al

Search for this one.

thumbs up

Date: November 10, 2022 23:43

Cooltoplady
retired_dog
Cooltoplady

Tiger Rogers made a DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo) taken from a mono recording.

"The most advanced technique and the one that usually produces the most satisfactory results is called DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo). Because most instruments and vocals often occupy fairly narrow, specific audio frequency ranges, it’s now possible in some cases to isolate guitars, drums, bass, strings, etc., and “extract” these elements into separate tracks which are then remixed into stereo. A well-done DES stereo mix will be indistinguishable from an original multi-track stereo mix and offers audiences a fresh, exciting listening experience, allowing them to enjoy their favorite songs in a way never before possible." - [www.ericrecords.com]

Date: November 10, 2022 23:51

retired_dog
wiredallnight
Neither long nor remix. Just nonsense!

Sorry to say but you're wrong. See my post above and for the record: The "long" claim does not come from Tiger Rogers, but from our own, probably over-excited exilestones only!

Guilty as charged. I love it! I love stereo.

I love Tiger's "Have You Seen Your Mother..." the best.

The beginning of the Beatle's "Here Comes the Sun" and the Guess Who's "No Time" are two favorites of mine because of the stereo effects.

I'm glad Tiger Rogers takes mono recording and makes stereo. He is a quality guy. Listen to the DEs Stones on YouTube, they often suck with a lot of drop-outs and other glitches.

Where is the unreleased stereo "The Last Time?' Thanks!

Re: "The Last Time" DES Remix
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2022 07:01

If I played Start Me Up on my computer and recorded it on my phone, in mono, then played it again and recorded it on my phone in 3D steroe, then combined the two recordings into one, that's a remix.

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

Come on. Peanut butter and jelly is spicy? How long is a piece of string?

Date: November 11, 2022 08:27

GasLightStreet
If I played Start Me Up on my computer and recorded it on my phone, in mono, then played it again and recorded it on my phone in 3D steroe, then combined the two recordings into one, that's a remix.

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

I'm afraid you simply don't get it, despite the explanations in above posts, exilestones' in particular.

Tiger Rogers made a DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo) taken from a mono recording.

The same technique, developed by Peter Jackson, has been used by Giles Martin for the new official "Revolver" stereo remix to split instruments that were recorded together on the same track of a multitrack tape. Or for the stereo soundtrack of the Beatles Get Back TV series where the rehearsals were for the most part recorded on mono nagra tapes only.

These are not "fake mixes". As exilestones wrote, there are indeed bad amateur stereo mixes available, but Tiger Rogers usually does excellent jobs. All you have to do is actually listen BEFORE you despise them.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 11, 2022 08:52

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

I'm afraid you simply don't get it, despite the explanations in above posts, exilestones' in particular.

The same technique, developed by Peter Jackson, has been used by Giles Martin for the new official "Revolver" stereo remix to split instruments that were recorded together on the same track of a multitrack tape. Or for the stereo soundtrack of the Beatles Get Back TV series where the rehearsals were for the most part recorded on mono nagra tapes only.

These are not "fake mixes". As exilestones wrote, there are indeed bad amateur stereo mixes available, but Tiger Rogers usually does excellent jobs. All you have to do is actually listen BEFORE you despise them.

well said i mean i still prefer the original but this is a nice way of experiencing something familiar that i love in a new way

and maybe pick out certain details that i hadn't noticed before in the original mono mix

Date: November 11, 2022 12:17

here's another intereting one from tiger rodgers

and another

it's defenitly at least stereo adjacent if not truly stereo clearly more then just messing with the eq

Date: November 12, 2022 02:03

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Right.

That's not a remix.

Fake mix, sure.

Tiger Rogers is miraculous in his separation of frequencies and fixing drop-outs. They are perfect. That is what DES is all about, separating frequencies, and hopefully, each instrument is a different frequency. Sometimes the harmonica and a guitar are the same frequency and cannot be separated.

I've noticed with Stones DES mixes I've found on YouTube, many have drop-out glitches. The DES masterer has the find the bits and pieces when the sound of the instrument changes to a different frequency to make the instrument whole again. Many DES guys just rip the tracks into different frequencies and they don't do the work to fix the drop-outs. Tiger's DES mixes are perfect in that respect.

Yes, separating the instruments and then remixing them is a different mix.

I did one DES mix myself. It's a lot of work to take a mono audience recording, separate the instruments, and fix all the dropouts and low-volume parts. At the same time, it can be fun. I can turn down Chuck Lavelle or turn him up!

I enjoy many DES mixes. I enjoy chocolate. Do you like vanilla?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2022 02:07

Vanilla bean yogurt ... I gulp that one down by the spoon-full

ROCKMAN

Date: November 12, 2022 03:11

strawberry banana for me

and i'd love to hear your des stereo audience recording

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home