Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Favorite guests on stage with The Stones
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2022 15:20

Topi
What would have been the first time they had a guest on stage?

Maybe Stevie Wonder '72?
Would hold the title of first and best if that's the case.

The Rolling Stones in Concert: Best Special Guests

1- Stevie Wonder

'Uptight/(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
Just in terms of sheer ticket value, the Stones' 1972 tour with Stevie Wonder would have to rank among the greatest of all time, even if the two acts never got onstage together. The fact that they frequently did, jamming on songs like the 'Uptight' / 'Satisfaction' medley you see here, makes it all the more amazing.

The Rolling Stones in Concert: Best Special Guests | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 7, 2022 15:23

I agree many guest artists are disappointing or just distractions, but I was lucky enough to see 3 of the best - AC/DC, Bonnie and Buddy. Unless the person adds to the performance, rather than being a vanity appearance for some popular artist, I’d prefer they skip it. But it would be interesting to see Bob play on Like A Rolling Stone, or Macca just because of the shared history (I Wanna Be Your Man would be nice), or Taj Mahal. It’s a short list but I’ll keep my mind, if not totally open, at least ajar. Would hate to miss one of the good ones. (And yes…whisky neat please!)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 7, 2022 16:07

SomeTorontoGirl
I agree many guest artists are disappointing or just distractions, but I was lucky enough to see 3 of the best - AC/DC, Bonnie and Buddy. Unless the person adds to the performance, rather than being a vanity appearance for some popular artist, I’d prefer they skip it. But it would be interesting to see Bob play on Like A Rolling Stone, or Macca just because of the shared history (I Wanna Be Your Man would be nice), or Taj Mahal. It’s a short list but I’ll keep my mind, if not totally open, at least ajar. Would hate to miss one of the good ones. (And yes…whisky neat please!)

I forgot about Bonnie. I saw her open in Vancouver in 2006. She was pretty good. Katy Perry & Dave Matthews, not so much.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 7, 2022 16:49

But it would be interesting to see Bob play on Like A Rolling Stone ...

We've had this in Rio 1998.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 7, 2022 17:17

dead.flowers
But it would be interesting to see Bob play on Like A Rolling Stone ...

We've had this in Rio 1998.

…and I was not there! It’s been 25 years. Too soon?

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: November 8, 2022 21:20

I´d love to see:

steven Tyler on Rock me baby or If you can´t rock me

Alanis Morissette on waiting on friend or Till the next time

Keith Urban on Dead flowers

Chrissie Hynde on Baby break it down

Liam Gallagher on sad sad sad or Winning Ugly ;-)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 8, 2022 21:42

crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl

I forgot about Bonnie. I saw her open in Vancouver in 2006. She was pretty good. Katy Perry & Dave Matthews, not so much.

Bonnie's the only guest I've seen too. Of the ones I've seen/heard on Youtube or DVD, AC/DC's 3 guest appearances on Rock Me Baby, Buddy Guy and Taj on My Corrina. I'm probably one of the few that even likes Taylor Swift in Chicago doing As Tears Go By.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2022 21:59

DGA35
crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl

Bonnie's the only guest I've seen too. Of the ones I've seen/heard on Youtube or DVD, AC/DC's 3 guest appearances on Rock Me Baby, Buddy Guy and Taj on My Corrina. I'm probably one of the few that even likes Taylor Swift in Chicago doing As Tears Go By.

Hey, I was at that Vancouver show too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2022 22:30

MisterDDDD
Topi

Maybe Stevie Wonder '72?
Would hold the title of first and best if that's the case.

The Rolling Stones in Concert: Best Special Guests

1- Stevie Wonder

'Uptight/(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
Just in terms of sheer ticket value, the Stones' 1972 tour with Stevie Wonder would have to rank among the greatest of all time, even if the two acts never got onstage together. The fact that they frequently did, jamming on songs like the 'Uptight' / 'Satisfaction' medley you see here, makes it all the more amazing.

The Rolling Stones in Concert: Best Special Guests | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Definitely...good pick.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: November 8, 2022 22:43

None. Nobody. No-one.

I don't want to see anyone onstage with the Stones.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 9, 2022 00:16

That I've seen...

Buddy Guy - Milwaukee 2015
Sheryl Crow - Chicago 2013

Of all-time...

Stevie Wonder - 1972
John Lee Hooker - 1989 (Atlantic City, "Terrifying" pay-per-view)
Buddy Guy - 2006 ('Shine a Light')

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 9, 2022 00:28

Topi

Not sure if this would count, but the end of the TAMI show when everyone comes on stage to join the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2022 01:36

Harley the Altamont dog .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 9, 2022 19:13

I prefer no guests, but of all the ones they have had, there were a few I liked,
Solomon Burke was good, though he almost crushed Mick with his cape

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 9, 2022 19:18

No other more important than AC/DC!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-09 19:20 by rogerriffin.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 9, 2022 20:01

treaclefingers
DGA35
crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl

Hey, I was at that Vancouver show too.

Hey.. I was too winking smiley
We missed out on Van Morrison, the original opener before they had to cancel, but a great replacement for the show!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 9, 2022 20:26

AC/DC jamming with the Stones was realy great! And AC/DC as Support was excellent!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 10, 2022 01:28

Clapton Atlantic City 1989 on "Little Red Rooster."

Epic!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 11, 2022 05:40

Bonnie Raitt was the best one I've seen.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: November 11, 2022 07:23

Not a fan of guests.
My guess is that Mick is the one who enjoys and initiates this.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 11, 2022 12:31

Also not a fan of guests. Didn't mind Sheryl Crow so much as her band were support the times I saw her - so she wasn't just there as a guest - and her music is an organic fit for the Stones. Saw Angus and Malcolm with them once. Four guitars? On Rock Me Baby? Thought it was overkill lumbering white boy blues and wasn't impressed. Overall, guest appearances seem under-rehearsed so do not show the Stones at their best and, for me, detract from the experience of seeing the band live.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 11, 2022 15:46

teleblaster
... Overall, guest appearances seem under-rehearsed so do not show the Stones at their best and, for me, detract from the experience of seeing the band live.

Part of me agrees very much here...but then I think...but it's really just a bit of fun so let them get on with it .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 12, 2022 12:35

I think the best guest appearances were those where the guest either opened for the Stones or were on the same bill. Maybe the guest artist was warmed up enough having just played a set. So I like Stevie Wonder and Wonderlove from the audio and video I’ve seen. Steve Madaio, Ollie Brown and Trevor Lawrence wound up touring with the Stones on subsequent tours so the Stones must have liked how they played. I also liked Guns and Roses who had opened in 1989.And Dave Matthews.On the Fifty and Counting Tour, I thought all the guests were bad.Instead of bringing these people out they should have given Bill and Mick Taylor more than 1 or 2 songs to play on. Bill Wyman said in interviews that he wanted to play more than 2 songs at the London shows but was turned down by the Stones. He also indicated he would have gone on tour with the Stones in America in 2013 had they given him more than 2 songs but wasn’t going to do that for 2 songs. They should have given him more songs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 12, 2022 14:29

I think in the shows I've been, I've only seen one guest, and he was labeled as a 'special guest'. And damn great that Taylor dude was. I think at least for me - who is not able to time travel - that was especially 'special' to see him with the other lads.

- Doxa

Date: November 14, 2022 00:29

Doxa
I think in the shows I've been, I've only seen one guest, and he was labeled as a 'special guest'. And damn great that Taylor dude was. I think at least for me - who is not able to time travel - that was especially 'special' to see him with the other lads.

- Doxa

At least someone is understanding what he's playing on stage, regarding this song. But then it's a routine job for Taylor, making melodic sense over 2 chords for a minute.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-14 00:54 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 14, 2022 00:45

Rockman

Is this Harley's cousin? drinking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 14, 2022 01:08

Yeah thats Sir Lowboy his English cousin

ROCKMAN

Date: November 14, 2022 01:43

Cristiano Radtke
Rockman

Is this Harley's cousin? drinking smiley

It's more interesting to train a monkey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-14 01:51 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 14, 2022 13:51

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

At least someone is understanding what he's playing on stage, regarding this song. But then it's a routine job for Taylor, making melodic sense over 2 chords for a minute.

Nice clip
I was gonna say something similar. Without doubt the best guest was Mick Taylor. Always left me pleased, the band elevated back to the dangerous & musical stones, and me as a fan left wanting more. What more could you want (more mick taylor)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 1, 2023 13:43

On this topic is there a list somewhere of all the guest appearances at Stones' shows ? From the top of my head I'd say that Sheryl Crown is the one they've had most often ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home