Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If The Rolling Stones announced they were to play their new album in full….
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2022 21:19

treaclefingers

I guess that's the price you pay for a band with such and expansive catalogue. But maybe they're a victim of their own conservatism? I think of Springsteen, Dylan, McCartney. They play the hits but also the lesser known and it doesn't seem to matter to their fans.

No, he doesnt. Far from it. Hes never really done that kind of show. And if he does play them, the songs invariably get rearranged.

It certainly matters to a lot of people who complain about him playing obscure songs and avoiding crowd pleasers. Not me, personally. I saw him last weekend for the 48th time, yet 10 of the 17 songs were numbers I'd never seen him play before. Suits me. I dont need to hear 'Blowin' In the Wind' or 'Maggies Farm' again.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 4, 2022 22:31

They need to really discover how some songs that come over really really well… Like citadel… Which would be fantastic even now.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: November 4, 2022 22:49

Won't happen 9 to 10 new songs a night would only work for hard core fans in small clubs. Also I don't see them playing 23 to 25 songs a night.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 5, 2022 01:46

crholmstrom
Big Al
Big Al
RisingStone
It did happen on the 1978 Some Girls US exclusive tour. On most of the dates, the Stones played 8 out of the 10 songs from the new album, put together in the middle of the 19-song set rather than spread over and mixed up with other old songs.

I wonder how each member of the audience reacted to this on site. Anyone who was there?

The Stones were still a contemporary act, though. Miss You being a billboard #1, with Some Girls proving hugely successful, too. I don’t think they became a nostalgia-act until Steel Wheels. That tour changed everything.

I should also add that many of those in attendance would’ve surely already bought the Some Girls album, or, at least, would’ve been familiar with the tracks played on the radio.

The Some Girls album was already huge by the time the tour started & a majority of the tracks were well known. Miss You was the song of the summer that year. @ the stadium show I saw in Boulder, all of the new material was very well received. It was a short tour & the band was playing great especially Keith.

Let me set the record straight. The Some Girls album was released on 9 June, 1978, and the tour started immediately the following day, the 10th, and lasted until 26 July. They played 25 shows in total, and the Boulder date was 16 July (show #19). By the time the tour reached there, the fans had had a sufficient time to familiarize themselves with the songs on the new album. But what about the initial few dates where the audience was presented with a show consisting of a cluster of 8 brand new songs played back-to-back to them? Did they feel the same way as those who were present at the latter-tour dates when the new songs had sunk in a month or so after the album was released? I wouldn’t be surprised there was a sense of bewilderment spreading across the crowd.

Saying that, like Gazza states above, it was a different time…

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 5, 2022 01:59

RisingStone
crholmstrom
Big Al
Big Al
RisingStone
It did happen on the 1978 Some Girls US exclusive tour. On most of the dates, the Stones played 8 out of the 10 songs from the new album, put together in the middle of the 19-song set rather than spread over and mixed up with other old songs.

I wonder how each member of the audience reacted to this on site. Anyone who was there?

The Stones were still a contemporary act, though. Miss You being a billboard #1, with Some Girls proving hugely successful, too. I don’t think they became a nostalgia-act until Steel Wheels. That tour changed everything.

I should also add that many of those in attendance would’ve surely already bought the Some Girls album, or, at least, would’ve been familiar with the tracks played on the radio.

The Some Girls album was already huge by the time the tour started & a majority of the tracks were well known. Miss You was the song of the summer that year. @ the stadium show I saw in Boulder, all of the new material was very well received. It was a short tour & the band was playing great especially Keith.

Let me set the record straight. The Some Girls album was released on 9 June, 1978, and the tour started immediately the following day, the 10th, and lasted until 26 July. They played 25 shows in total, and the Boulder date was 16 July (show #19). By the time the tour reached there, the fans had had a sufficient time to familiarize themselves with the songs on the new album. But what about the initial few dates where the audience was presented with a show consisting of a cluster of 8 brand new songs played back-to-back to them? Did they feel the same way as those who were present at the latter-tour dates when the new songs had sunk in a month or so after the album was released? I wouldn’t be surprised there was a sense of bewilderment spreading across the crowd.

Saying that, like Gazza states above, it was a different time…

Totally different band, but I saw tool live at The Tabernacle in Atlanta the day Lateralus was released. I was entranced. The fact that I heard those songs live before I knew them was an unforgettable experience and made it one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, by far. The small venue helped, too.

First show of the tour. Seven live debuts. Here’s the set list…
[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 5, 2022 02:54

Hmmm...first, y'all gotta wonder what new album despite promises made. I'll believe a new album when I sees it and hears it. Two, on tour, do the new album cuts interspersed with some deep/older Stones cuts. KR did this on his first solo venture tour playing much off his album and some Stones songs and it was great. I look at Dylan these days as an inspiration regarding in how he approaches playing for his audience - mainly new stuff with selective older tunes. For Dylan, this is about his telling his audience, this is where I am at these days, dig it or not. Might be time for the Stones (and other bands/performers) to do the same.

Date: November 5, 2022 03:14

Although I don’t love the tone of your post… Sorry that sounds a bit grand… I just don’t feel as aggressive as I think you sound… I’m sure you’re not really aggressive… But it just sounds that way a little bit, but nevertheless I think you’re right… And I wish that they would come out this time and truly mix up, what they can do so well… And offer us the new album, live and deep cuts, and a few hits… Undo what the public expects, show them what they are still capable of offering, even at this late stage… that’s my feeling… arrogant about what you have to offer… And don’t worry, if the audience doesn’t whoop and Holler… That doesn’t always mean it’s great… sometimes the sheer contemplation of the Rolling Stones in the mighty glory… Is enough…

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2022 06:50

Please. We'll be lucky to get maybe 3 new tracks at best, and by the end of the next tour they might still be playing one of them. That's pretty much what happened with A Bigger Bang. We got Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, Streets of Love, and a couple others. By the time the tour ended in 2007 they were only playing Rough Justice at the end.

If they could magically come up with one more decent single, it might survive a tour.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 5, 2022 21:56

my guess is the setlist will be the same as at the end of the last tour but they'll drop out of time and ghost town and replace them with new songs off the album and plus one new song in keith's set equals 3 new songs off the new album

but maybe they'll do what they did with sticky fingers and play it all live once in a small venue record it and release it in one the various super duper deluxe editions

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2022 04:07

guyrachel
On the upcoming tour of the same name, not necessarily the entire 17 tracks...

But... "play their new album in full" is part of the thread title.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 6, 2022 12:43

GasLightStreet
guyrachel
On the upcoming tour of the same name, not necessarily the entire 17 tracks...

But... "play their new album in full" is part of the thread title.

If they literally put that idea into action, their current standard 19-song set would be entirely occupied by the new material except for 2 songs LOL.

Date: November 6, 2022 14:37

There was always meant to be room for a nuanced wiggle, but I was suggesting a LARGE number of new songs(say 6+), INTERSPERSED throughout the length of the set… for me, I would rather play the whole album… but I know that’s not very realistic…

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2022 16:08

Gazza
treaclefingers

I guess that's the price you pay for a band with such and expansive catalogue. But maybe they're a victim of their own conservatism? I think of Springsteen, Dylan, McCartney. They play the hits but also the lesser known and it doesn't seem to matter to their fans.

No, he doesnt. Far from it. Hes never really done that kind of show. And if he does play them, the songs invariably get rearranged.

It certainly matters to a lot of people who complain about him playing obscure songs and avoiding crowd pleasers. Not me, personally. I saw him last weekend for the 48th time, yet 10 of the 17 songs were numbers I'd never seen him play before. Suits me. I dont need to hear 'Blowin' In the Wind' or 'Maggies Farm' again.

I think perhaps I didn't make myself completely clear...that is also what I've said.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 6, 2022 17:41

LOL, how about we get an album first!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 6, 2022 19:54

It will all depend on the quality of the new tunes. They played six songs off of Tattoo You on the support tour for that record, so if they deliver an album of similar quality, I’d expect about that many songs in the setlist. They can always rotate the warhorses instead of playing them every night. They would almost feel special again.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 6, 2022 20:50

Imagine a Let it Bleed concert - would be that different but good

Street Fighting Man
"Gimme Shelter"
"Live with Me"
"Love in Vain"
"Country Honk"
"Let It Bleed"
"Midnight Rambler
"Monkey Man"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
"You Got the Silver"
Midnight Rambler
Paint It Black
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Sympathy For The Devil
Satisfaction

Date: November 6, 2022 21:51

schwonek

Street Fighting Man
"Gimme Shelter"
"Live with Me"
"Love in Vain"
"Country Honk"
"Let It Bleed"
"Midnight Rambler
"Monkey Man"
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
"You Got the Silver"
Midnight Rambler
Paint It Black
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Sympathy For The Devil
Satisfaction

Two comments.

First, as much as I like Midnight Rambler, the second time through in the same show might get a bit old.

Second, it would be nice to balance the whole Let It Bleed album with more post 1972 cuts than just "Slipping Away". How about Slave, Plundered My Soul, Easy Sleazy, Out of Control, Dangerous Beauty, a few from the new album...that sort of thing?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2022 02:21

treaclefingers
Gazza
treaclefingers

I think perhaps I didn't make myself completely clear...that is also what I've said.

But he's not playing his 'hits'. At all. I dont agree that it doesnt matter to his fans. To the hardcore fans thats probably the case, but a lot of people go to Dylan shows and dont go back because he doesnt play what THEY want and in a way that makes them recognisable. Bob seemingly doesnt give a shit. Artists who play it 'safe' like the Stones do are more likely to get repeat customers.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: November 7, 2022 02:35

Would this be a disappointment? :
1-Start Me Up
2-She's So Cold
3-New Album 's Song
4-Almost Hear You Sigh
5-Jumping Jack Flash
6-Rough Justice
7-New Album' s Song
8-Gimme Shelter
9-Tumbling Dice
10-Rain Fall Down
11-Keith's New Album's Song
12-Keith Before They Make Me Run
13-Out of Control
14-Love Is Strong
15-Doom and Gloom
16-New Album's Song
17-Paint It Black
18-Midnight Rambler
19-Satisfaction

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2022 05:40

guyrachel
There was always meant to be room for a nuanced wiggle, but I was suggesting a LARGE number of new songs(say 6+), INTERSPERSED throughout the length of the set… for me, I would rather play the whole album… but I know that’s not very realistic…

Simply pointing out that the thread title says 'play their new album in full'. That's specific. It doesn't say otherwise.

For one, they won't. They never have. They won't even play a majority of the new album live. Three songs might be stretching it. Unless, like on the BRIDGES tour, they toss the odd one in while not playing the usual one here and there.

It would be great. Or for that matter, regardless of how many songs are on the new LP, 6-8 songs would be fantastic.

But Mick won't have that. Gotta stick to the old tunes.

Date: November 7, 2022 05:59

Gazza
treaclefingers
Gazza
treaclefingers

But he's not playing his 'hits'. At all. I dont agree that it doesnt matter to his fans. To the hardcore fans thats probably the case, but a lot of people go to Dylan shows and dont go back because he doesnt play what THEY want and in a way that makes them recognisable. Bob seemingly doesnt give a shit. Artists who play it 'safe' like the Stones do are more likely to get repeat customers.

Ok I see what you're saying about the current tour, only 3 or 4 older recognizable to 'most' people songs. But I went back to 2019 before the pandemic and it's as I described in my post. So I'm not sure what you're jumping up and down about. And any time I've seen him he's thrown in 'the hits' mixed with deep cuts no one knows.

So other than the current tour, I'm not sure what you're getting at. He has played 'the hits' in the past...you say he never does that. It's simply not true.

I wasn't saying he focuses on hits...that WAS MY POINT, he doesn't.

As far as fans 'who will never go back', Dylan doesn't play huge venues so he's not getting a lot of 'tourists' going to his shows. If a true fan hasn't figured out Dylan at this point hard to have any sympathy for that reaction.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 7, 2022 09:11

treaclefingers
schwonek

Street Fighting Man
"Gimme Shelter"
"Live with Me"
"Love in Vain"
"Country Honk"
"Let It Bleed"
"Midnight Rambler
"Monkey Man"
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
"You Got the Silver"
Midnight Rambler
Paint It Black
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Sympathy For The Devil
Satisfaction

They did this pretty close on the Licks Tour.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 7, 2022 16:44

ProfessorWolf
for half the crowd it'd suddenly be like 1965 all over again and there 12 year old girls in the audience of the ed sullivan show screaming themselves hoarse while ripping out fistfuls of there own hair and passing out

the other half will take a collective 1hr piss break

at the end one half will leave on stretchers those still able to walk will stumble around in a euphoric trance for days after

the other half who haven't left already will walkout b-tching about what a rip off it was that they didn't play miss you

ahahahah perfect

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 7, 2022 17:43

Why even release new music with no intention of playing it live?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: November 7, 2022 19:08

It would be great to see the boys release a new album and follow it with an Arena tour to play 5-6 tracks from said release mixed with different classics than the war horses.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 7, 2022 20:18

Was it 40 licks that they did Staduim/Arena/small theatre?..but this time instead of rare cuts, they could play the new stuff at the theatre shows and keep everybody happy.

Or a one off live from a studio in LA/NY or London of the new album

Date: November 7, 2022 23:19

Love the idea of a live Broadcast from a studio!!! Of the entire album….

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home