Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Keith On Taylor Swift
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2022 04:33

24FPS
Keith was spot on about rap. This, not so much. Maybe he means, like he did with rap, that it's not his kind of music.

Then he should use his words to properly describe that sentiment.

And BTW, he was also wrong about rap. Not my cup of tea but hip hop has dominated the charts for ages.

In fact, it may even be close to rivalling rock music's domination of the charts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 2, 2022 04:55

treaclefingers
24FPS
Keith was spot on about rap. This, not so much. Maybe he means, like he did with rap, that it's not his kind of music.

And BTW, he was also wrong about rap. Not my cup of tea but hip hop has dominated the charts for ages.

In fact, it may even be close to rivalling rock music's domination of the charts.

Rap is immensely bigger culturally.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2022 05:30

What's she sound like ????

ROCKMAN

Date: November 2, 2022 06:22

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
24FPS

Rap is immensely bigger culturally.

Yes for sure now. I didn't properly describe what I meant. Rock dominated 1956 through what, 1990? Since then or maybe a bit before Hip Hop started to, and now has completely taken over, to your point, 'immensely bigger culturally', now.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 2, 2022 09:45

Rockman

What's she sound like ????

Midnights (Album, Oct. 2022): [Music.Apple.com] .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2022 11:15

be more exciting to be marooned on a
desert island with an endless supply of mash potato ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 2, 2022 11:39

Rockman
be more exciting to be marooned on a
desert island with an endless supply of mash potato ....

or watching nonagenarians play golf in the rain for 3 hours on tv

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: November 2, 2022 14:46

I thought she was an actress until my wife told me she was a singer. This was like a month ago. Guess I am lost in the past.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 2, 2022 16:46

The success of Taylor Swift is unbelievable. She sold in America almost a milloin physical copies in three days plus the singular songs topping the single charts, meaning they are also streamed helluva a lot. In absolute terms she doesn't compare, but relatively speaking, if compared to other artists nowadays, as a record seller she is doing better than The Beatles and Michael Jackson were in their hey-days.

Surely Swift is great and talented and best and everything, but I think that phenomenon like her enermous popularity happens speaks more of our times than of her so much superior excellence.

- Doxa

Date: November 2, 2022 17:00

Doxa
The success of Taylor Swift is unbelievable. She sold in America almost a milloin physical copies in three days plus the singular songs topping the single charts, meaning they are also streamed helluva a lot. In absolute terms she doesn't compare, but relatively speaking, if compared to other artists nowadays, as a record seller she is doing better than The Beatles and Michael Jackson were in their hey-days.

Surely Swift is great and talented and best and everything, but I think that phenomenon like her enermous popularity happens speaks more of our times than of her so much superior excellence.

- Doxa

I think of 'parents' reactions to Elvis or The Rolling Stones, coming off of a life listening to Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. They just didn't 'get it'.

And I'm not defending whether or not this artist is 'good' or 'better' than what came before, but only that she's connecting with youth today, as we've had in the past with our own.

30 years on I still don't 'get' Hip Hop but understand I'm not the target market either so it doesn't matter, just like The Stones weren't trying to win over Dean Martin fans.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 2, 2022 17:10

Good advice Taylor! Haters are gonna hate.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 2, 2022 17:19

treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

I think of 'parents' reactions to Elvis or The Rolling Stones, coming off of a life listening to Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. They just didn't 'get it'.

And I'm not defending whether or not this artist is 'good' or 'better' than what came before, but only that she's connecting with youth today, as we've had in the past with our own.

30 years on I still don't 'get' Hip Hop but understand I'm not the target market either so it doesn't matter, just like The Stones weren't trying to win over Dean Martin fans.

The difference between Elvis, the Stones and Taylor Swift is that the former two had some shock value and undoubtedly riled the elders, where as Taylor Swift is as safe as milk. Your mum probably likes her.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 2, 2022 17:21

Big Al
treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

The difference between Elvis, the Stones and Taylor Swift is that the former two had some shock value and undoubtedly riled the elders, where as Taylor Swift is as safe as milk. Your mum probably likes her.

smileys with beer

Date: November 2, 2022 17:31

Big Al
treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

Fair enough, but how far can you take shock value? We've basically seen it all already. Look at your own comment ... basically dismissed because not enough shock value?

She's successful DESPITE no shock value. That to me says heaps.

Date: November 2, 2022 18:21

treaclefingers
Big Al
treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

Fair enough, but how far can you take shock value? We've basically seen it all already. Look at your own comment ... basically dismissed because not enough shock value?

She's successful DESPITE no shock value. That to me says heaps.

Well, Taylor Swift isn't supposed to provide he shock value, I guess. She's for all the family. Who was the last music artist or group to seriously cause concern to parents? Marilyn Manson? Slipknot? I'm sure there are some conservative folk who don't like their children listening to someone like Niki Minaj.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 2, 2022 18:39

treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

"she's connecting with youth today"

I agree. She is certainly not connecting with us. I wonder if the disconnect between generations today is as big as it was in 60s and 70s. Sometimes I think it is not, sometimes I think it is even bigger...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2022 19:20

MingSubu
She's a talented musician.

Date: November 2, 2022 19:55

And she has Gracie Abrams opening some of her shows next year. Gracie is amazing, and I hope this exposure allows her to become the star she should be!!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 2, 2022 19:58

treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, I think what I don't 'get' is her incredible popularity among her contemporaries. She plays pretty traditional, even conservative music, sweet country pop or whatever it is. Why she is so much more popular than anyone else stemming from that tradition or from any other tradition? Even the rap artists, so popular these days, are nothing compared to her in success. That she sells so many physical albums tells that she is not solely a pop sensation the kids love.(By contrast, the rap artists sell next to nothing in terms of physical sales, it's only streaming). Her audience must be huge and covering a lot of people from different generations.

What I mean by a sign of our times when pop music isn't any longer that culturally significiant is that when someone hits big, she or he really hits big. And forget the rest. The big gets bigger and the small smaller. And She's really in a class of her own in which no other artist EVER been. Some sort of strange domino effect of market and media. And the falling nature of music business.

All of this is nothing to belittle the talent of Taylor Swift, nor anything to be with my personal taste. But that she relatively speaking is making, if we just look at the statistics of today's music business, in her own context bigger impact than Elvis or The Beatles once did is just amazing.

EDIT: the way to understand the logic of the big getting bigger and the small smaller in today's decreasing music business, could be put: there must be people who once bought, say, 15 albums a year. Now they - or people like them - just buy one. And that, naturally, happens to be the hottest act of the day, Taylor Swift. If now one takes a look what happens in charts and sale numbers, one can see the consequences.

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-02 20:33 by Doxa.

Date: November 2, 2022 20:31

Thing is: Elvis and The Beatles were - and remain - cultural phenomenons. Swift is, undoubtedly, a phenomenon - and she deserves the plaudits - yet, I don’t believe she’ll ever resonate on a deeper level. I wonder whether she’ll be quoted or, in years ahead, cited as being someone who helped shape the path of a generation. Elvis did this. The Beatles did this. Will Taylor Swift? On a side note: what’s happened to Adele? Her latest album hadn’t caused the seismic ripples I’d have imagined it. 21 and 25 were huge releases. In fact, I dint suspect Swift has an album that matches Adele’s ‘21’ sales-wise.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2022 20:33

treaclefingers
24FPS

Keith never said rap wasn't popular. He basically said rap was crap, which it is, no matter how many people buy it. And yes, hip hop is different.

Date: November 2, 2022 21:15

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, I think what I don't 'get' is her incredible popularity among her contemporaries. She plays pretty traditional, even conservative music, sweet country pop or whatever it is. Why she is so much more popular than anyone else stemming from that tradition or from any other tradition? Even the rap artists, so popular these days, are nothing compared to her in success. That she sells so many physical albums tells that she is not solely a pop sensation the kids love.(By contrast, the rap artists sell next to nothing in terms of physical sales, it's only streaming). Her audience must be huge and covering a lot of people from different generations.

What I mean by a sign of our times when pop music isn't any longer that culturally significiant is that when someone hits big, she or he really hits big. And forget the rest. The big gets bigger and the small smaller. And She's really in a class of her own in which no other artist EVER been. Some sort of strange domino effect of market and media. And the falling nature of music business.

All of this is nothing to belittle the talent of Taylor Swift, nor anything to be with my personal taste. But that she relatively speaking is making, if we just look at the statistics of today's music business, in her own context bigger impact than Elvis or The Beatles once did is just amazing.

EDIT: the way to understand the logic of the big getting bigger and the small smaller in today's decreasing music business, could be put: there must be people who once bought, say, 15 albums a year. Now they - or people like them - just buy one. And that, naturally, happens to be the hottest act of the day, Taylor Swift. If now one takes a look what happens in charts and sale numbers, one can see the consequences.

- Doxa

For myself anyway, I used to buy albums for just one song on the radio. This helped build a mighty huge collection. However, there were plenty of times that that lead single was the best thing on the album, and the rest of it just sucked. Nowadays, I'll listen to the whole album ahead of time on YouTube if it's something I don't know before going out to buy it. I've kind of reeled in my purchasing as well. I used to buy everything that a slew of artists and solo artists would put out. Now, that's probably down to 3 or 4 artists. So for me, that's a huge drop off!!! Not sure if the rest of the world is the same.

Date: November 2, 2022 21:15

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

Keith never said rap wasn't popular. He basically said rap was crap, which it is, no matter how many people buy it. And yes, hip hop is different.

Well, rap is the ‘vocal-style’; hip-hop is the genre. Hip-hop is, also, a lifestyle and culture of sorts. I guess rap can be incorporated into anything. Heck, even Mick’s had a bash: Anybody Seen My Bsby?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-02 21:19 by Big Al.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 2, 2022 21:29

The whole discussion here is meaningless. As much as I love Keith he is an old fart when it comes to music who only listens to the stuff that was present when he was young.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 2, 2022 21:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-02 22:34 by Stoneage.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 3, 2022 00:16

StonedRambler
The whole discussion here is meaningless. As much as I love Keith he is an old fart when it comes to music who only listens to the stuff that was present when he was young.

i think keith has great (though narrow and specific) taste in music

through him i've discovered tons of great music that likely i wouldn't have found without him due to me being nearly 50 years younger then he is

i'm glad he saved me from having to listen to the dreck (to me) made by my own generation

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2022 01:34

Everyone has their own taste in music - mine happens to be very similar to and partially (reggae, for example) because of him.

I do not blindly agree with him 100% though. Ex. The Neville Brothers aren't really that great.

I like organic music - real music played by real people.

Most "music" since 1989 has sucked.

IMHO

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2022 01:35

Now, you kids, get off my lawn....... cool smiley

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 3, 2022 02:07

I think Taylor Swift had a lot to do with Ed Sheeran's success - she had him open on her Red tour which he quickly rose to fame after that I beleive...
My daughter is a swiftie I took her to the Red tour with Ed Sheeran opening in Vancouver I just sat back and watched... both artists were great...And there was lots of early beatle/stones like rabid fan screaming... not my thing but both are extremely talanted.

I'll be in my basement room.....

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 3, 2022 02:24

Elmo Lewis
Now, you kids, get off my lawn....... cool smiley

But Mr Lewis. Tommy is just showing us his new Mono Box set Rolling Stones collection.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home