Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jerry Lee Lewis: RIP
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 28, 2022 19:55

The Killer passes ....

Jerry Lee Lewis, Influential and Condemned Rock & Roll Pioneer, Dead at 87 (RollingStone.com)

Jerry Lee Lewis, unbridled early rocker, dies at 87 (Washington Post)

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-29 17:33 by bv.

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis: RIP
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:01

Jerry Lee Lewis, Influential and Condemned Rock & Roll Pioneer, Dead at 87

"The Killer" embodied rock rebellion with songs like "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" and "Great Balls of Fire," but drew widespread outrage for marrying his 13-year-old cousin in 1957

By David Browne
October 28, 2022

Jerry Lee Lewis in 1958 Hulton Archive/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]
--

RIP Jerry Lee.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:01

Very sad news...

From Billboard: Jerry Lee Lewis Dead at 87

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:02

RIP. That generation is pretty much gone now. Sad.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:21

Rest in Peace Jerry.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:26

RIP Jerry thanks for the R&R

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:28

RIP Jerry.

Time Waits For No One.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:34

RIP. Legend.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:36

He was no saint but he was a musical giant and a pioneer of rock and roll and country music. If youve never checked out his classic country sides, you should do yourself a favor...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:39

Jerry Lee Lewis, notorious US rock’n’roll star, dies aged 87

Artist’s songs such as Great Balls of Fire helped install rock’n’roll as the dominant American pop music of the 1950s.

Jerry Lee Lewis, the rock’n’roll pioneer who became one of the most infamous figures in popular music, has died aged 87, his publicist has said.

He died of natural causes at his home in DeSoto County, Mississippi.

Lewis’s energetic performances on songs including Great Balls of Fire helped install rock’n’roll as the dominant American pop music of the 1950s. He was born in Louisiana in 1935, the son of a poor farming family who mortgaged their home to buy Lewis his first piano. While learning the instrument and studying at an evangelical school, he was kicked out for performing a boogie-woogie version of My God is Real that was deemed irreverent.

He didn’t return to education, and began playing live – his first performance at the age of 14 was at the opening of a car dealership. He developed a theatrical, boisterous style that chimed with the energy of the nascent rock’n’roll scene, and began playing at Sun Studios in Memphis, first as a studio musician and then as a solo artist. Some of his earliest recordings were made in 1956 with Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, a group later dubbed the Million Dollar Quartet. It was an impromptu session: Cash and Presley happened to be separately visiting the studio where Lewis was backing Perkins on piano.

Lewis’s breakthrough came the following year, with Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On, a barnstorming piano-driven rock’n’roll single. When he performed it on television on The Steve Allen Show, he brought his unique playing style to national attention: wildly energetic, he would kick over his piano stool and play standing up, with songs accentuated with cascading runs of notes.

He followed that Top 3 song with his greatest success, Great Balls of Fire, which reached No 2 on the US charts and became one of the definitive songs of the rock’n’roll era.

During a 1958 UK tour at the peak of his fame, he was embroiled in scandal after it was revealed he had married his 13-year-old cousin, Myra Brown – it would be the third of his seven marriages. There was outrage in the British press and the rest of his tour was cancelled. US radio stations and concert promoters also blacklisted him, and his popularity faded. He never again had a US Top 20 hit.

Lewis’ wild-man reputation cemented his nickname, The Killer, earned from his habit of describing acquaintances with the Louisiana slang of “killer”. After a 13-year marriage to Brown, his fourth and fifth marriages were even more notorious. Jaren Pate and Shawn Stephens both died in suspicious circumstances – the former by drowning, while there were domestic abuse rumors surrounding the latter.

Despite the controversies, he successfully switched to country music after the rock’n’roll scene dwindled and scored a series of hits on the US country charts, including his version of the standard Chantilly Lace.

In 1984, following years of prescription drug use, he survived an operation to remove a third of his stomach after a series of perforated ulcers, and in 1986, he was one of the first 10 performers inducted into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame, alongside Presley, Chuck Berry and others.

Another infamous “Killer” moment involved Berry. When the pair were on tour, Lewis objected to Berry going on after him, and so set his piano on fire following his performance with the words: “Follow that, boy.” Meanwhile, Lewis was arrested in 1976 after he turned up drunk at Presley’s Graceland home in Memphis with a loaded pistol on the dashboard of his car.

Two of Lewis’s six children, died young: Steve Allen Lewis drowned in a swimming pool aged three, while Jerry Lee Lewis Jr – who had played drums for his father – died in a car accident aged 19. Four others – Ronnie Guy, Phoebe Allen, Lori Lee and Jerry Lee III – survive him, as does his wife Judith.

Lewis recorded 40 studio albums, the most recent being Rock & Roll Time in 2014. His previous album, Mean Old Man, reached the US Top 30 on its release in 2010 and featured duets with stars including Mick Jagger, Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson and Eric Clapton.

[www.theguardian.com]

The band are going to be very sad.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2022 20:40

"The Killer" forever in our hearts sad smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:08

One of the greats. He had his demons, but the music! What an incredible untamed talent. One of the few true innovators, I've spent my life in awe of his genius. RIP? The Killer never did anything peacefully. We just lost a force of nature.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:19

Very sad. The last of the founders generation.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:22

R.I.P. Jerry Lee.

Wanda Jackson is still alive. Last of the Original Rockers.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:37

A great great country singer. Among the best ones
Very sad

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:42

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis “Some folks call me an idiot but I know who I am The KILLER”

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:43

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:44

He was out there. Last of the truly wild men. RIP

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 28, 2022 21:56

RIP ..Thnx for memories.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: October 28, 2022 22:15

Sadly the post a couple of days was almost true. Great performer. Live at the Star club in Hamburg is one of the greatest live album ever. Last pioneer of RnR. RIP Jerry Lee.

Date: October 28, 2022 22:21

Amen- the Nashville Teens were hanging on for dear life. Every rock and roll fan should own this.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 28, 2022 22:27

Sorry I stole all your licks. Thanks for the music, RIP

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: October 28, 2022 22:55

Rolling Stone ?? article I read years ago about those deaths, very vague, but I remember it left me sad.

Date: October 28, 2022 22:55

Jerry Lee with Bruce and the E Street Band in Cleveland.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: October 28, 2022 22:59

keith and the killer 1983 ...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 28, 2022 23:03

Too bad. What appeared to be fake news, is sadly enough not.
A great loss! Only two weeks ago I bought a CD of Jerry. His music will live on.
RIP Jerry.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 29, 2022 00:09

tonight Bob Dylan played 'I Can't Seem To Say Goodbye' as a tribute to Jerry Lee Lewis (it was the first time Dylan played that song and it was also the first encore Dylan played in more than a year), see: [www.boblinks.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 29, 2022 00:42

so sad

chuck, bo, fats domino, elvis, little richard, and now jerry lee

with his passing the last real surviving link to 50's rock n roll has gone with him and now the torch passes on to the few remaining musicians that still perform from the generation that followed him (like the stones and a few others) to be the representatives of a dying genre of music

i wonder if this is something that weighs on the stones

they're all his fans they all knew him personally i'm sure this loss hits harder then most and they feel it

but his passing probably represents something deeper to them he's the last of there idols from there youth with his death maybe comes a realization of how little time is left and how much they've lost

i hope it adds more strength to there resolve to get out there and play and make new music

time waits for no one

rip
jerry lee lewis

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 29, 2022 00:49

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-29 01:03 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 29, 2022 02:36

THE LAST MAN STANDING

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER ONE LIKE YOU JERRY LEE

LIVE FOREVER

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50