Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stoned Cold Country - A 60th Anniversary Tribute To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: March 17, 2023 23:16

My favorite studio country cover is probably Alan Jackson's Wild Horses: video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 18, 2023 00:58

It's all professional and slickly produced, as expected. All the songs are faithfully done. For young people who haven't heard them before it should be a nice introduction to the music of the Rolling Stones.

That said, I'm not big into covers by anyone. I feel there's something a little special knowing that songs were originally produced by the artist performing them. In my view, it's much more of an artistic achievement to produce a great original song. Anyone can do a cover. Generally speaking, I think covers are like leftovers. They can be good at times, but they're missing that certain freshness. In my humble opinion, if a cover is really going to be great it needs to bring something special and unique or reinterpret the song in a creative way.

The Rolling Stones songs that are already in a country vein are solid. So "Honky Tonk Women" by Brooks & Dunn and "Dead Flowers" by Maren Morris are fine. On "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Lainey Wilson's country twang and the steel guitar serve the song well. But with other tracks like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Ashley McBryde, "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)" by Brothers Osborne & The War And Treaty, and especially "Miss You" by Jimmie Allen, one wonders where the country part went. They're enjoyable tracks and well executed, they just don't sound very country to my ears. So, I sometimes wondered "Why bother?" There are more country sounding songs in the Stones catalog. Why do a faithful cover of a disco song? I know, I know, they do these songs because they're the warhorses people know and love best. But playing it safe and predictable yields few surprises or insights.

"Gimme Shelter" by Eric Church is probably the track that takes the most chances. It starts off with a completely different feel from the Stones' version. "Paint It Black" by the Zac Brown Band was good too. Those were my two favorite tracks here and the ones I would most likely want to hear again. "Sympathy for the Devil" by Elvie Shane was enjoyable enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-18 00:58 by jahisnotdead.

Date: March 18, 2023 01:07

jahisnotdead
It's all professional and slickly produced, as expected. All the songs are faithfully done. For young people who haven't heard them before it should be a nice introduction to the music of the Rolling Stones.

That said, I'm not big into covers by anyone. I feel there's something a little special knowing that songs were originally produced by the artist performing them. In my view, it's much more of an artistic achievement to produce a great original song. Anyone can do a cover. Generally speaking, I think covers are like leftovers. They can be good at times, but they're missing that certain freshness. In my humble opinion, if a cover is really going to be great it needs to bring something special and unique or reinterpret the song in a creative way.

The Rolling Stones songs that are already in a country vein are solid. So "Honky Tonk Women" by Brooks & Dunn and "Dead Flowers" by Maren Morris are fine. On "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Lainey Wilson's country twang and the steel guitar serve the song well. But with other tracks like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Ashley McBryde, "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)" by Brothers Osborne & The War And Treaty, and especially "Miss You" by Jimmie Allen, one wonders where the country part went. They're enjoyable tracks and well executed, they just don't sound very country to my ears. So, I sometimes wondered "Why bother?" There are more country sounding songs in the Stones catalog. Why do a faithful cover of a disco song? I know, I know, they do these songs because they're the warhorses people know and love best. But playing it safe and predictable yields few surprises or insights.

"Gimme Shelter" by Eric Church is probably the track that takes the most chances. It starts off with a completely different feel from the Stones' version. "Paint It Black" by the Zac Brown Band was good too. Those were my two favorite tracks here and the ones I would most likely want to hear again. "Sympathy for the Devil" by Elvie Shane was enjoyable enough.

I love EC because he never plays it safe. Sadly this version of Gimme Shelter didn't really work for me. Will try again while I'm driving home today with a bit more volume and see if that helps!

Posted by: Nick23 ()
Date: March 18, 2023 18:28

erbissell
jahisnotdead

I love EC because he never plays it safe. Sadly this version of Gimme Shelter didn't really work for me. Will try again while I'm driving home today with a bit more volume and see if that helps!

The more I listened to it, Eric Church’s version of Gimme Shelter grew on me. I’m a big EC fan and I like how he took a risk and put his own style into it.

Stoned Cold Country - A 60th Anniversary Tribute To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 21, 2023 15:56

Chuck Leavell plays piano on Koe Wetzel's cover of Shine A Light

Stone Cold Country
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: April 5, 2023 18:15

Re: Stone Cold Country
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 5, 2023 18:16

Already a previous topic...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 5, 2023 21:04

I had a chance to listen to it. Not exactly exciting.

Date: April 8, 2023 01:23

bye bye johnny
Chuck Leavell plays piano on Koe Wetzel's cover of Shine A Light

I actually love this, this has become my favorite track on the album. When the horns hit in the 2nd chorus...euphoria

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2023 02:23

So far down at the ranch ......

ROCKMAN

Stoned Cold Country - A 60th Anniversary Tribute To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 20, 2023 16:37

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 22, 2023 23:33

I like it, cool album cover too

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home