Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: David Bowie 1983 - Story behind Pro Shot Video from Australia
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 1, 2022 01:48

Swayed
Back in 1983, I was working in a One-hour photo lab in Sydney Australia and we would often have crew from the Sydney Entertainment Centre come by to drop off films to be processed. Over time I got to know some of the camera crew that would shoot the video that would be projected onto the sight screens at the side of the stage.

When Bowie came to Sydney, these guys were hired to do the same thing at the Sydney Showgrounds for his final two concerts. This was video only, as it was to be shown live on the side screens. However, I was told that for the final concert a Sony U-Matic video recorder was used to record the show and a mono mic was connected to capture the audio. This was for personal use only. When I was told about this on the following Monday by one of their crew, I asked if it was possible to get a copy. The guy said that I could drop by with a VCR and make one, which I did with a Sony Betamax the following day. Weeks later when I saw one of the crew and thanked them again, he told me that they couldn’t find the original tape and he thought it possible it had been recorded over (!!??) also, he didn’t think there were any other copies made. As such, I probably had the only copy in existence.

The tape has been with me for 39 years and I finally got around to getting it transferred to digital file recently. I have remastered the basic mono audio to bring it out more, but apart from that, the footage is as it was.

After seeing it I knew I had to share it, so I released it to YouTube track by track and now I have uploaded the full concert. [youtu.be]

Thank you very much

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: November 1, 2022 02:12

Well swayed, beautiful story.
I love happy endings smiling smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 1, 2022 03:36

Totally awesome story. Guess it pays to ask. Well done ol' chap! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Swayed ()
Date: November 1, 2022 05:00

Much appreciated. I'm just glad it's now out there and it is getting such positive feedback.

Re: OT: David Bowie 1983 - Newly found Pro Shot Video from Australia
Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: November 1, 2022 18:17

Thanks very much! I'm sure glad though that Darryl Jones doesn't dress like Bowie's bassist. What was he thinking?

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 2, 2022 04:09

Thank you very much.

Swayed
Story behind this video.

Back in 1983, I was working in a One-hour photo lab in Sydney, Australia and we would often have crew from the Sydney Entertainment Centre come by to drop off films to be processed. Over time I got to know some of the camera crew that were used to shoot the video that would be projected onto the sight screens at the side of the stage.

When Bowie came to Sydney, these guys were hired to do the same thing at the Sydney Showgrounds for his final two concerts. This was video only, as it was to be shown live on the side screens. However, I was told that for the final concert a Sony U-Matic video recorder was used to record the show and a mono mic was connected to capture the audio. This was for personal use only. When I was told about this on the following Monday by one of their crew, I asked if it was possible to get a copy. The guy said that I could drop by with a VCR and make one, which I did with a Sony Betamax the following day. Weeks later when I saw one of the crew and thanked them again, he told me that they couldn’t find the original tape and he thought it possible it had been recorded over (!!??) also, he didn’t think there were any other copies made. As such, I probably had the only copy in existence.

The tape has been with me for 39 years and I finally got around to getting it transferred to digital file recently. I have remastered the basic mono audio to bring it out as much as possible, but apart from that, the footage is as it was.

After seeing it I knew I had to share it, so I released it to YouTube track by track and now I have uploaded the full concert.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: November 3, 2022 12:41

Swayed
Story behind this video.

Back in 1983, I was working in a One-hour photo lab in Sydney, Australia and we would often have crew from the Sydney Entertainment Centre come by to drop off films to be processed. Over time I got to know some of the camera crew that were used to shoot the video that would be projected onto the sight screens at the side of the stage.

The tape has been with me for 39 years and I finally got around to getting it transferred to digital file recently. I have remastered the basic mono audio to bring it out as much as possible, but apart from that, the footage is as it was.

After seeing it I knew I had to share it, so I released it to YouTube track by track and now I have uploaded the full concert.
[youtu.be]

great story - and thanks a lot for sharing the video

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 4, 2022 15:19

This concert is wonderful! I've watched it a few times and it blows away the official that was released. Stripped of all the cheese, well no all of it but a good chunk, especially that loud audience fill, it is a really great show.

I knew after having those rehearsals for so many years that this was a tight band but this rocks. Was never a fan of Earl Slick but I don't think SRV would have been right for this Vegas show.

OT: David Bowie live 1983 - Pro Shot Video Sydney Australia, Updated
Posted by: Swayed ()
Date: March 15, 2023 03:13

Last year I uploaded to You Tube a long lost Pro Shot video of David Bowie live in Sydney for the final Australian concert of his 1983 Serious Moonlight tour.
Unfortunately though, the audio was slightly out of sync and there were a couple of drop outs. These have all now been corrected and the updated version can be found here:

[youtu.be]

Hope you enjoy it.

"Thank you very much indeed, thank you very kindly"

Re: OT: David Bowie live 1983 - Pro Shot Video Sydney Australia, Updated
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 15, 2023 06:26

Very cool.

Very strange! So FAST!

Fantastic to see, though. Thanks!

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: March 15, 2023 10:49

Amazing. Big thanks

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 15, 2023 16:25

This show is fantastic! Thanks for uploadingthumbs up

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 15, 2023 16:58

Thank you again for this gem!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 15, 2023 22:26

What I'd really like to see if concert footage from 1974. I love the live album from that period.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home