Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIAA award Sticky fingers how to check authenticity
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 24, 2022 15:02

I'm interested in buying a RIAA award Golden record of Sticky fingers online. It would be cool to have such an item in my collection. The price is 2300 euro. The text on the plate is
"Presented to Mick Jagger. To commemorate the sale of more than 500.000 copies of The Rolling Stones Records. Album, cassette & CD. "Sticky Fingers"
I have no knowledge about how to verify the authenticity of this item. It looks genuine, and the seller seems credible. But I'm no expert.
What do you think of the price? Does anyone have suggestions how to find out more about the authenticity?
Thanks.

Re: RIAA award Sticky fingers how to check authenticity
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: October 24, 2022 15:49

I’m experienced with RIAA framed awards, but 500.000 copies between 1971 and 1986/7 seem too little to me to consider it as genuine…

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 24, 2022 15:58

Ask Matt Lee?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 24, 2022 16:25

From the Music Icons (#3318) auction 20-May-2022 - [www.JuliensLive.com] :

Large picture

LOT #1100: RIAA "gold" record award presented to Bill Wyman to commemorate the sale of more than 500,000 copies of the Rolling Stones Records album Sticky Fingers. 21 x 17 inches.
From the collection of Bill Wyman and Sticky Fingers Restaurant.
Sold Price: $16,000 (estimate: $5,000 - $7,000 ; 18 bids)

Date: October 24, 2022 16:45

From Bill Wyman and his Rolling Stones Archive (#3267) auction 11-Sep-2020 - [www.JuliensLive.com] :

Large picture

LOT #276: RIAA “gold” record award presented to Rolling Stones Records to commemorate the sale of more than 500,000 copies of the Rolling Stones Records album and cassette Sticky Fingers. 21 by 17 inches.
Sold Price: $3,840 (estimate: $2,000 - $3,000 ; 3 bids)

Date: October 24, 2022 17:14

Maybe of use ?
[www.kissfanshop.de]

Date: October 24, 2022 17:40

Date: October 24, 2022 17:55

A general site for collecting Gold & Platinum Awards - [HonorMusicAwards.com] . Rolling Stones section: [HonorMusicAwards.com] .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 24, 2022 18:38

Back in the glory days, the RIAA used to toss those things around like candy. I've got several, some that were presented to me, some to my late former boss.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 24, 2022 20:30

A original award issued in 1971 for “Sticky Fingers” would have a white matte. This would be true for all the RIAA stones awards through “it’s only Rock and Roll”. The original white matte presentation plates state sales of “one million dollars worth”. A Sticky Fingers award without the white matte would indicate that it was ordered in 1975 or latter.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 24, 2022 21:56

The one I am interested in: [www.marktplaats.nl]

So, when I look at all the links you all provided in this topic, I tend to think the price he's asking (2500) is too high.
What I don't understand is that the Award in the ad is 'presented to Mick Jagger', but apparantly this is not unique. This one for example, seems exactly the same: [www.gottahaverockandroll.com]
It was sold for less then half the price.

It's a very diffuse 'market'. It's not clear at all to judge these are genuine or fake. I had the impression that only one of those copies would be presented to individual band members, but apparantly there are multiple copies of this one 'presented to Mick Jagger'. So at least one of them must be fake (?)

Date: October 24, 2022 22:10

jackflash27

So at least one of them must be fake (?)

The glossary on [HonorMusicAwards.com] says that there're also fake or assembled Awards (“Frankenstein’s”).

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 24, 2022 22:25

I cannot hold my stupid question any longer
Can you actually play those records and listen to music?

Posted by: 59rocks ()
Date: October 24, 2022 22:44

<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 22:51 by 59rocks.

Date: October 24, 2022 23:11

The Joker

Yes, it's possible - [RetroOnly.com] .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 25, 2022 01:01

Irix
The Joker

Yes, it's possible - [RetroOnly.com] .

but will the gold cassette play?winking smiley

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 2, 2022 04:15

Sorry I am late to the party... (thanks for the nudge Topi)

It's super simple, this was never given to Mick Jagger. Most record awards are basically merchandise and many more are completely unofficial fakes. There are some good sources posted above to start learning but this category has as many pitfall (nearly) as autographs. There is no substitute for learning and there is no short cut. Not every expensive record award is real but every cheap one is fake.

You can see above what the later 70's period Bill Wyman one went for and the frame (which is part of the award and should never be replaced) is completely knackered!
I actually have Bobby Keys' Sticky Fingers one of this same issue, it's in MUCH better condition. Imagine if it was a first issue white matte! Don't you think it's amazing how you can find literally brand new looking ones of those...

If Mick Jagger had actually been given all the awards that are in his name he would need a warehouse bigger than Amazon. I have over 200,000 Rolling Stones items and I have spent over 25 years collecting very seriously. In that time I have had the opportunity to buy just one Mick Jagger award where I was 100% confident it was 1) The original format 2) The one actually given to him.

People should buy what they like and what they enjoy, just don't buy this if you are only buying it because you think it's just come down from above Mick's mantel piece or it has any investment value. To me it has no more value than the cost of a record, a frame and some gold paint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home