Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jagger 'chewing' on stage
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 22, 2022 10:44

I'm watching a lot of DVD's of 70's and 80's shows lately. I notice Jagger has this thing when he seems to be chewing gum in between singing lyrics. What's going on with this? Is it a 'tic', or just part of his act (like his typical and unique dance moves)? It's really a strange thing to see when you concentrate on it.
Did he ever get questions about it in interviews or talk about it?
Not the most crucial subject to start a topic for, but I was curious where it comes from and why he does this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-22 10:51 by jackflash27.

Re: Jagger 'chewing' on stage
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 22, 2022 11:06

my faves are the fake burps Mick
often does while being interviewed .....

Can livin' on spinach leaves and water do that to ya ... hhhhaaaa

Lurv ya Mick ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 22, 2022 12:58

jackflash27
I'm watching a lot of DVD's of 70's and 80's shows lately. I notice Jagger has this thing when he seems to be chewing gum in between singing lyrics. What's going on with this? Is it a 'tic', or just part of his act (like his typical and unique dance moves)? It's really a strange thing to see when you concentrate on it.
Not the most crucial subject to start a topic for, but I was curious where it comes from and why he does this.

another proof of my thesis that rock music is rooted in bad behavior

Posted by: Oriongalaxy ()
Date: October 22, 2022 13:13

Gosh...don't you have bigger problems in life?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 22, 2022 13:20

jackflash27

Jagger has this thing when he seems to be chewing gum in between singing lyrics

Maybe it's to keep the beat (timing) because he cannot do it like a classic musician with the feet when Mick does his specific Jagger-moves.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 22, 2022 13:49

Cocaine.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 22, 2022 15:17

vertigojoe
Cocaine.

bingo....coke, meth users will often chew gum to help alleviate some of that extra "energy" that's coursing through veins...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 22, 2022 15:28

The messages here remind me of signs posted by various teachers in my Junior High classes over 50 years ago:

"SORRY CHUM, NO GUM"

"SPEED KILLS"

At this rate I expect we'll see discussions about the Stones smoking cigarettes, using profanity, and running down the hallway leading up to the stage.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 22, 2022 17:15

Chewing Mick is a topic of utmost importance
See our previous debate [iorr.org]

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: October 22, 2022 19:11

Also he used to wiggle his leg and slap his foot on the stage all signs of coke and he used to rest his hand on his waist, All signature moves that all somewhat stopped in 89 when the show became to choreographed. They were some glimpse's of in 94 but defiantly stopped after that.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 22, 2022 21:38

jason8903
Also he used to wiggle his leg and slap his foot on the stage all signs of coke and he used to rest his hand on his waist, All signature moves that all somewhat stopped in 89 when the show became to choreographed. They were some glimpse's of in 94 but defiantly stopped after that.

are you serious? wow

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 22, 2022 22:07

Did somebody say we overanalyze? grinning smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 22, 2022 22:26

Look at everyone pretending like these type of questions are too ridiculous for this board. Give me a break.

To the OP, I've noticed it too. He still does it to this day at times. Yes, a tic he picked up at some point in the 70's.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 23, 2022 00:11

jackflash27

Never really noticed it with Mick but Hendrix can be seen chewing gum on stage quite frequently (if I remember correctly, I once read the reason for this was being nervous).

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 23, 2022 01:13

Chewing Gum is good for cotton mouth. (Which May be caused by some stimulants or relaxants)

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 23, 2022 05:07

Yeah, I've noticed it. Yeah, I think he does it to create some moisture, and also just to give him something different to concentrate on for a little while.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 23, 2022 09:35

I talked about this in another post which I don't recall a while back. Even Bill, on the TAMI show does this. Mick, on the Muddy Waters dvd, does it.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 23, 2022 10:22

yeah this is a funny odd topic that seems to come up every couple years

like mick's "bullying" ronnie onstagewinking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 23, 2022 10:29

They’re just chewing gum for Christ’s sake! Why do any of us chew?

Date: October 23, 2022 11:10

Charlie has some gum under his shoe
[youtu.be]

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 23, 2022 11:41

Big Al

Well, the thing is that I have the impression that he doesn’t have gum in his mouth, is seems he’s acting like he’s chewing gum (for whatever reason.

Date: October 23, 2022 11:54

jackflash27
Big Al

Well, the thing is that I have the impression that he doesn’t have gum in his mouth, is seems he’s acting like he’s chewing gum (for whatever reason.

I second that. It's all about attitude and trade-lip-jagger.

Despite all the explanations above about keeping the mouth hydrated, I don't see how Mick could sing with a full-gumed mouth.

The gum would hit the mike./ or hit the Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-23 12:44 by The Joker.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: October 23, 2022 21:10

I've thought about this too! He still occasionally does it.... I'd presumed it part of getting in to the character.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 23, 2022 21:38

There's no gum in his mouth when he chews onstage. We can speculate forever as to why. It's a bit like wondering what he does during Keith's two songs. Oxygen tank? Bathroom break? Quick call home? Meditation? Takes his vitamins? In the end, it's his space and not ours.

Now the burping voice in interviews is fascinating and we should continue to wonder if it's his diet or simply the price he pays for being able to effortlessly sing falsetto and so deep and low.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2022 22:20

It's a bit like wondering what he does during Keith's two songs

I heard a rumour that he use ta zipp
out back and direct the truck in that
was delivering fresh bananas for Ronnie .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 23, 2022 22:49

Rocky Dijon
There's no gum in his mouth when he chews onstage. We can speculate forever as to why. It's a bit like wondering what he does during Keith's two songs. Oxygen tank? Bathroom break? Quick call home? Meditation? Takes his vitamins? In the end, it's his space and not ours.

Now the burping voice in interviews is fascinating and we should continue to wonder if it's his diet or simply the price he pays for being able to effortlessly sing falsetto and so deep and low.

During Keith’s mini-set, I’d imagine Mick’s just having a breather. A little sit-down and relaxation. I take back my offhand comment regarding his ‘chewing’ Perhaps it’s just habitual. We all do odd things.

Date: October 23, 2022 23:09

The Joker
Charlie has some gum under his shoe
[youtu.be]

That's why he never missed a beat! cool smiley

Date: October 23, 2022 23:14

Rocky Dijon

And I thought this is just his accent (trying to sound cockney) ...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 24, 2022 08:29

Mick ain't the only one chewing on stage when singing in the seventies-

Check out Agnetha and Frida of ABBA when singing SOS in Australia in 1977
smileys with beer :

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 24, 2022 10:42

I love that Robert Frank video of Mick and Keith sharing the coke before they go onstage.
And yes that is the answer to the gum chewing. It’s strange how their modern day images are so ingrained, Keith the drink and drug guy, Mick the diet and exercise dude and you see that old footage of Jagger drinking straight Jack D out of the bottle and doing blow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home